Menu

Ignore this thread!

The company still won't answer the phone, so it looks like I have the long weekend for sure to get through without ac.  It's supposed to rain this weekend which is awesome for the earth, but I need to figure out how to weatherproof the cardboard I have sitting in my window around the ac we borrowed or find something else I can use---the windows in this house are extra wide.

:cursing:  

It's gonna look like you learned it in Arkansas, but try a big, black trash bag. The kind you buy for leaves.

ETA: It goes without saying that you will need camouflage duct tape to secure said trash bag.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

The company still won't answer the phone, so it looks like I have the long weekend for sure to get through without ac. It's supposed to rain this weekend which is awesome for the earth, but I need to figure out how to weatherproof the cardboard I have sitting in my window around the ac we borrowed or find something else I can use---the windows in this house are extra wide.

Our new air conditioner is not keeping our room cool. It was 86F with 70% humidity in the air-conditioned room last night. I'm going to sleep in the boys' room tonight, I think.

And, I got some news this morning that has me kinda down right now.

I'm so ready for an ITT retreat with waterfalls & chocolate!

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

• Like 1

I like Nature's Plus ageLOSS Sleep Support tablets. Lots of stuff in there, including melatonin. They help me to relax, but they don't exactly knock me out. Also, I always expect weirder than usual dreams when I take it. Doesn't bother me, as I'm used to vivid dreams, but they do get pretty wild. I call them my magic green pills. But they are actually yellow.

ETA: It's a nighty-night Booyah!

Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep ITT-ers,

Go to sleep, got to sleep, and dream of waterfalls!

And Rocco will bring us all,

Fruity drinks with umbrellas,

And cool houses for us all,

So it's time to go to sleep.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

The company still won't answer the phone, so it looks like I have the long weekend for sure to get through without ac.  It's supposed to rain this weekend which is awesome for the earth, but I need to figure out how to weatherproof the cardboard I have sitting in my window around the ac we borrowed or find something else I can use---the windows in this house are extra wide.

Our new air conditioner is not keeping our room cool.  It was 86F with 70% humidity in the air-conditioned room last night.  I'm going to sleep in the boys' room tonight, I think.

And, I got some news this morning that has me kinda down right now. 

I'm so ready for an ITT retreat with waterfalls & chocolate!

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  (with ice bags, since you are hot enough already)

I will send chocolate your way.

I'd kinda like a waterfall, but the natural topography here is so flat we don't have them unless someplace is flooding, so I'm not actually wishing for a waterfall.  It would make others very unhappy here.  I think my family and I need to explore Arkansas more on future trips, if opportunity appears.

• Like 2

Some pants are starting to get too loose.  My undies are looser, and for certain activities I can fit into my old, next-size-down pairs.  And today I noticed at personal training that my thighs aren't rubbing together as much when I walk.  Why it took a mirror for me to notice that, I have no idea.

I'm making progress!  Yippee!

• Like 10

I'd kinda like a waterfall, but the natural topography here is so flat we don't have them unless someplace is flooding, so I'm not actually wishing for a waterfall.  It would make others very unhappy here.  I think my family and I need to explore Arkansas more on future trips, if opportunity appears.

Ozark National Forest and the Buffalo River valley. Lots of waterfalls, but mostly in spring and winter. This summer is just a strange one. We've had so much rain.

• Like 4

I decided FIL (and I) deserved a treat so I am making stuffed peppers for supper tonight.  I was telling my personal trainer how I modified them to follow my new dietary rules, and she was surprised.  She thought those would have been a no-no item for sure, until I told her how I'm making this batch.  See?  I don't have to give everything up!  I just have to modify!  (Said to myself to remind myself when I get down about how hard this is sometimes.)

• Like 6

Ozark National Forest and the Buffalo River valley. Lots of waterfalls, but mostly in spring and winter. This summer is just a strange one. We've had so much rain.

Sounds beautiful!  We need to get out in that direction sometime.

I've been to every state west of the Mississippi, but not to enough states to the east of it.  I'm a pilot's daughter who has never been out of the country.  Clearly I need to travel more, and visiting more states is a good place to start.

I don't count Mississippi and Alabama on my list of visited states, because I have only driven through them and not stopped yet.  Georgia's iffy as to whether I can claim it -- day trip to a tourist trap just over the border from Florida.

Of course, if I wish to truly visit the entire country I will need to plan in trips to the current territories, too, wouldn't I?   :laugh:

• Like 3

:cursing:

It's gonna look like you learned it in Arkansas, but try a big, black trash bag. The kind you buy for leaves.

ETA: It goes without saying that you will need camouflage duct tape to secure said trash bag.

Sparkly pink cammo duct tape will add extra pizazz!

(((Prairie))) come on over to my house. We have extra beds and the air conditioning is working fine.

• Like 4

Yikes. Just found out that the kids in a family at church have whooping cough. We shouldn't be in any danger, but they were contagious at a recent kids' event and I wonder if anyone else has been infected. Maybe we should consider staying home from church for a couple weeks just in case?

• Like 2

Yikes. Just found out that the kids in a family at church have whooping cough. We shouldn't be in any danger, but they were contagious at a recent kids' event and I wonder if anyone else has been infected. Maybe we should consider staying home from church for a couple weeks just in case?

It might be wise.  I'm sure they didn't intend to share, but such things do get around.  If you have anyone in your household who is susceptible it would be wise to keep some distance from the bunch for a bit.

• Like 3

It might be wise. I'm sure they didn't intend to share, but such things do get around. If you have anyone in your household who is susceptible it would be wise to keep some distance from the bunch for a bit.

It's mainly dd10 that we would be concerned about - she had pneumonia in the spring and has asthmatic tendencies. Dd13 used to get croup a lot, but she has been fine for the past couple of years. There are a handful of families in the church (that I know of) whose kids don't get shots and who regularly participate in the youth group, so hopefully in another week or two we should know if anyone else comes down with it.

• Like 2

I do have hot pink duct tape. I thought about using an IKEA shopping bag. It'd be fun to tweak the HOA busy body lady just a bit. Ahem.

I am going through our medicine cabinet/first aid supplies/car first aid kits this afternoon. It is fairly mindless work and it's good to have things on hand. Other than making elderberry syrup and purchasing a few odd and ends replacement items, I think I am good to go. (I have a bunch of dried elderberries I need to use up.)

Does anyone else do this, or am I an outlier? My mom only keeps 3 bandaids, a bottle of ibuprofen, and a 5 year expired box of Sudafed on hand. It is a marked contrast to my type A approach.

• Like 5

We had whooping cough outbreaks in our previous state. It's a good 4 months of coughing, and I know a few people who broke ribs from coughing. I'd lie low, and maybe call in to the ped for your asthmatic daughter. There are antivirals, booster shots, and other options out there. Once we knew someone with it, about 3 weeks later we knew lots of people with it. I got a booster shot and a pneumonia shot as a precautionary prophylactic response.

• Like 3

Hot pink duct tape totally works with trash bags.

My house smells like freshly baked bread. It was pretty good eating, too.

ETA: The bread, not the house. I haven't upgraded to gingerbread siding yet. :laugh:

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 8

It must be a week for large moth caterpillars. The boys found a Polyphemus Moth caterpillar today after they found the Imperial Moth one yesterday.

This is the time of year we get huge webs built by the garden spiders. And they build them in very inconvenient places,too.
  • Like 5

No I haven't, but I have tried Tylenol PM. I have tried over the counter sleep aid, diphenhydramine 25 mg, also. They don't work for me. Does the ZzzQuil have a different ingredient?

It has diphenhydramine 25 mg, I believe. Edited by ikslo
  • Like 1

I napped when I got home from work. DH is home today, and washed the kitchen floor while I was napping. <3

He is now out buying wine and root beer. DS is attempting to finish his book, as an alternative to other schooling.

I want another nap.

• Like 5

I do have hot pink duct tape. I thought about using an IKEA shopping bag. It'd be fun to tweak the HOA busy body lady just a bit. Ahem.

I am going through our medicine cabinet/first aid supplies/car first aid kits this afternoon. It is fairly mindless work and it's good to have things on hand. Other than making elderberry syrup and purchasing a few odd and ends replacement items, I think I am good to go. (I have a bunch of dried elderberries I need to use up.)

Does anyone else do this, or am I an outlier? My mom only keeps 3 bandaids, a bottle of ibuprofen, and a 5 year expired box of Sudafed on hand. It is a marked contrast to my type A approach.

Yes, I do this. I also used to have a pretty extensive herb cabinet. I say used to since I forgot to refill some jars last fall. This is my reminder to do it this fall. 

• Like 2

Good Saturday Morning!

Susan, congrats to your sister.  How exciting!!!

Jean, sounds like all good news coming out of camp.  Enjoy the last day!

Dawn, hope you slept better last night. 

Ikslo, sounds like a very peaceful evening!  I know you needed it after a fast paced week at work.

• Like 5

Oy. I had a dream that it was "come to the library naked" day, but I was the only participant in the otherwise packed building. Must have had the wrong date. 😱

Today is chili making day. I have 4lb of beans soaking, and I will try cooking them in batches in the IP. A bit nervous about that.

• Like 6

Not only do I go through our own medical kits (household, garage, paddle-boarding, vehicle) when the kids were still in brick & mortar school I culled and restocked the school's field trip first aid kits, too.  There are a lot of supplies and medications that expire or weaken with age.  Bandaids will lose their stickiness over time, and their wrappers can lose their integrity and sterility.  A yearly check of medical supplies is a smart thing to do.

Fire departments encourage people to check smoke alarm batteries when daylight saving time changes because tying the one habit to something regularly occurring helps people to remember to do it.  Perhaps checking one's first aid kits and medical supplies can be scheduled similarly.

And I say go for it on the Ikea bag.  If HOA lady gives you grief you can pour out your a/c woes to her and ask if she can help pressure the company to quit dawdling on your repairs and complete them so you can take down the bag.

• Like 3

You should have a nap in your car! It's probably expensive and a waste of gas but still necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sitting in the car while it is running and blowing the a/c can cause the engine to overheat.  Get someone to drive you around in it while you nap -- the motion could be soothing (if they are a practiced driver in sedate traffic), and it will help protect your engine.

• Like 1

Ooh. Now ds is doing a solo accompanied by the camp band that he plays with. That's a surprise! (I'm impressed but that might just be a mom talking. . . )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm impressed, and I'm not his mom!

• Like 1

Oy. I had a dream that it was "come to the library naked" day, but I was the only participant in the otherwise packed building. Must have had the wrong date. 😱

Today is chili making day. I have 4lb of beans soaking, and I will try cooking them in batches in the IP. A bit nervous about that.

:smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5: