Menu

Cdns - active shooter in Ottawa

hornblower

Guest submarines

And just two days ago two Canadian soldiers were attacked in Quebec, terrorism suspected. I hope it is not a wave of coordinated terrorism all over the country. Scary times.

Add it to the 2 soldiers that were deliberately run down with a car in Quebec on Monday(1 was killed) and yeah not good.  The Canadian Forces have been warned to remain on high alert for their personal safety.  Crazy to hear about the shots fired at Parliament today while I was headed to work. Our soldiers and government should be safe on home ground, yesterday 6 planes shipped out from Cold Lake to head to Kuwait to offer assistance with the ISIS attacks.  We saw them doing maneuvers over the last few days leading up to their departure (cold lake is only about 90 minutes north of me).  We should be worried about our soldiers headed off into conflict over seas again, not be worried about terrorist attacks on them here at home, a sad reminder that domestic terrorists do exist here in Canada as well, something that we previously felt pretty immune from.   Today was actually 3 separated attacks at the same time, 1 at the war memorial , 1 at parliament and 1 at a nearby shopping center.  

:grouphug: So, are you guys in Canada paying close attention to what is going on, or are you trying to maintain a normal schedule? We know what it is like to have concentrated acts of terrorism in America and how it feels...like the whole system is breaking down.

So frightening.

The terrorist attacks that were prevented at the rail stations last year(was it last year and in Toronto?) are evidence that Canada is paying attention. I don't have regular television so I'm not sure where to turn for my live news.

They haven't actually stated, as of the press conference just now, that the attacks were at the same time by multiple shooters. Witnesses say the shooter at the war memorial was seen running toward the parliament building.

I am hoping it is a lone gunman that hit all 3 places, I missed the press conference.  Still with the attack 2 days ago and now this it is still a disturbing start of a pattern kwim.  The attack Monday you can blow off as a 1 off but now with 2.  ANd they are saying the driver of that car Monday was in fact supporting ISIS, no word about the one today.  I would rather stay in my bubble of innocence believing Canada was immune to any sort of terrorist attack whether domestic or foreign kwim

In Ottawa it is most certainly NOT business as usual. If you simply look at the number of casualties and injuries, the situation doesn't sound that huge. If you look at the massive number of people involved, though, you get a sense of just how far-reaching this situation is:

Over 100,000 government emloyees are still in lock-down in all government buildings, including the Parliment.

Dozens of schools are in lock-down or security modes, and the downtown streets closed and buses diverted. After-school activities in most schools in the whole city have been cancelled as well.

This many people involved and in this large an area effects pretty much everyone in the Ottawa and Gatineau (just across the river in Quebec) areas.

Plus all Canadian Forces bases across the country are closed to the public. 

No, not business as usual at all. The really difficult part is that it is still not really over after 5 hours, and there's no way of knowing when it will be over. Very sad and very shocking.

Try to imagine if this happened in the US, if the core of Washington DC was on complete shut-down and all the US forces bases across the country were closed to the public and on heightened security. It's that big a deal. 

We are waiting to hear if cadet gold start camp is still happening this weekend or not.  Canadian forces was flying in all the cadets from other regions, my 2 were the only 2 from this region, it is not on a base but the personnel from on the bases is who runs the camps training the kids.  WIth everyone on high alert right now, we are just not sure what Winnipeg is going to decide(WInnipeg is where the head office for cadets in western Canada is).  

this is footage from inside parliament, where a gunman was apparently shot by a Sergeant At Arms

video stops & starts - I think the Globe & Mail servers are overloaded

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-footage-from-globe-reporter-captures-gun-fire-in-parliament-hill/article21219457/

Same reporter filed a brief report. They're still in lockdown inside:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/news-video/video-first-person-report-from-inside-parliament-building-on-lockdown/article21229272/

Try to imagine if this happened in the US, if the core of Washington DC was on complete shut-down and all the US forces bases across the country were closed to the public and on heightened security. It's that big a deal. 

Well... this sort of happened to us on 9/11.  There were no airplanes allowed over the US for a few days (air space was closed).  Many bases and places were closed.  Security got heightened...  I know our school had our buses on standby in case they wanted to evacuate Baltimore or DC.  It wasn't that bad, of course, but at the beginning, we just didn't know.

I'm hoping it doesn't continue to happen in Canada - or anywhere.   :grouphug:

Yeah, it sounds like Ottawa is like DC was on 9/11 in terms of the mood and disruption. I remember how crazy that day was here.

It is, thankfully, very few casualties, but all the articles I've seen have had members of Parliament commenting on things they actually saw. Imagine if members of congress actually saw a shooter inside the Capitol. It's mind boggling. No wonder the whole city flipped out.

i've been off the boards for the afternoon so missed the msgs about people finding my post #2 offensive.

guys, i've mentioned before i'm a news & politics junkie? My entire twitter stream is full of #cdnpoli - both politicians & journos

I wasn't making fun of the situation but WAS poking gentle fun at the news coverage at 8 am, which was just an endless stream of 'bob, without speculating, can you tell us what's happening?" & bob then wildly speculating or giving droning non-answers because the event was unfolding & nobody knew anything.

The event is tragic.

News coverage of tragic, & especially unfolding, events, often leaves a lot to be desired, and frankly, that clip did make me laugh on a very sombre day when I didn't know whether many of the people I follow on #cdnpoli were ok or not.

I'm not sure how I could be perceived as not taking it seriously when I then posted Josh Wingrove's footage from the hill.... but anyway.

Sorry that I upset people.

Really heartbroken for that soldier's family…as well as the soldier in Quebec's family.  

Really angry at the perpetrators and at those who encourage violence of any kind.   If he really wanted to kill somebody, go to a country where a war is going on.  There are plenty of bad guys to kill if you really must.  Kill Assad for example.  Go after him.   He's murdered lots of innocent people.  But a guy guarding a war memorial?  Low blow.  

I didn't realize that the soldiers guarding the war memorial aren't armed. Their rifles aren't loaded. They're ceremonial guards so shooting them seems very cowardly....

Thank goodness the Sergeant-at-Arms in Parliament was armed - though for most people he's just the guy who wears a funny hat & carries the mace into Parliament. 

Yes, all cadet activities in Canada are cancelled till further notice.  As two soldiers have died just for wearing their uniform, the cadets leaders don't want to put their teens in the line of danger by wearing a military uniform. Even our soldiers can't wear their uniform outside of military bases now! 

A very sad day for us here in Canada, for sure.  Thank you all for your kind words in support of Canada.  Many of us are just in shock about all of it.  There were many who thought 'it couldn't happen here'.  It is so incredibly sad to think of the unarmed reservist soldier serving as an honour guard at the War Memorial, being shot dead in cold blood.  Also sad for the sergeant-at-arms who killed the shooter and had to take a life, but in so doing, saved many.  :(   Just sad in so many ways...  (Many of us were really touched by the truly class act of the Pittsburgh Penguins!)   

I bet a lot of things will change now with much tighter security in government offices.  DH and I were saying how glad we were to take a trip to Ottawa last year with then 7 year-old DS and we had the freedom to tour the Parliament Buildings, as that same degree of freedom won't likely exist after today.  :(

And now the low-lifes are up and talking now that the smoke has cleared and the dust settled.  My girlfriend had to post this message this morning.

"If you want to post things about what happened yesterday being Harpers fault or this being some kind of political conspiracy please remove yourself from my friend list."

Wow.  Really.  I'm not having a very Christian response to these people.  I feel like that are the type of people who at someone's party try to make the party all about themselves.

Bad analogy, this isn't a party.

i've been off the boards for the afternoon so missed the msgs about people finding my post #2 offensive.

guys, i've mentioned before i'm a news & politics junkie? My entire twitter stream is full of #cdnpoli - both politicians & journos

I wasn't making fun of the situation but WAS poking gentle fun at the news coverage at 8 am, which was just an endless stream of 'bob, without speculating, can you tell us what's happening?" & bob then wildly speculating or giving droning non-answers because the event was unfolding & nobody knew anything.

The event is tragic.

News coverage of tragic, & especially unfolding, events, often leaves a lot to be desired, and frankly, that clip did make me laugh on a very sombre day when I didn't know whether many of the people I follow on #cdnpoli were ok or not.

I'm not sure how I could be perceived as not taking it seriously when I then posted Josh Wingrove's footage from the hill.... but anyway.

Eh, I knew what you were getting at. I'm the same way.No issues on my end. Sorry you got some flack.

I hate to say it, but for me yesterday was business as usual. I seem to be desensitized to terrorism at this point. Living in a lock down community for a few days last spring will do that, I guess. I just feel numb to it all. And weary, if that contradiction makes any sense.

People use the term 'deeply saddened' and that describes how I feel pretty accurately, if I let myself think about it too long, but I try not too for more than a minute or two or I wouldn't be able to function. So maybe numb is better.

Surprisingly, this morning, I'm actually wondering if this event really achieves the kind of scale-of-atrocity with which it was being treated yesterday.

I guess yesterday no one really knew the scope until it was over... But in the end, it was "just" the shocking cold-blooded murder of a soldier (yes, a tragedy that matters to me!) followed by swift and apropreate intervention by the parliamentary sgt-at-arms before anything got out of hand.

Was it an attempted assassination? An intended political mass-murder? Something else? I don't know, but that part (at least) failed. Praise God that civilized democracy still has a place for a seargant to stand at-arms -- and mean it. I don't know how irrelevant and ceremonial that "post" has been for decades. It mattered yesterday.

And now the low-lifes are up and talking now that the smoke has cleared and the dust settled. My girlfriend had to post this message this morning.

"If you want to post things about what happened yesterday being Harpers fault or this being some kind of political conspiracy please remove yourself from my friend list."

Wow. Really. I'm not having a very Christian response to these people. I feel like that are the type of people who at someone's party try to make the party all about themselves.

Bad analogy, this isn't a party.

Oh, I find this sort of post odd too. I had a friend post once, not about this topic, but, 'if you didn't vote, pease remove yourself from my friends list.' This is my Buddhist friend that just wants world peace. I guess she's not seeing the contradiction there. (not that I expect her to be perfect...)

I hate to say it, but for me yesterday was business as usual. I seem to be desensitized to terrorism at this point. Living in a lock down community for a few days last spring will do that, I guess. I just feel numb to it all. And weary, if that contradiction makes any sense.

People use the term 'deeply saddened' and that describes how I feel pretty accurately, if I let myself think about it too long, but I try not too for more than a minute or two or I wouldn't be able to function. So maybe numb is better.

I think I know what you mean. At this point, when a "small" incident happens, I feel like, "oh, again?" and I don't get worked up about it. Desensitized, yes. Weary of it, yes. Shed a tear, maybe. So not as desensitized as I thought. Numb, I don't know.

The words from the Prime Minister were spot-on. I'm so glad that our leaders have been protected. I am very unhappy that people keep jumping the White House fence. I don't want to go through a presidential assassination.

The couple comments that I heard yesterday which stick with me still:

- this isn't a war

- Canada has not LOST its innocence. We've been to wars, we've had great acts of terror committed here (my father's work colleague died aboard Air India), we've had mass shootings, we've had a an MP kidnapped and killed & we've had martial law declared on our streets.  The person who made the comment continued to say 'we're neither virgins nor babies'

I'm not sure this event changes much for us as a nation. I hope it won't

(except perhaps for expansion of mental health programs & hey - about that long gun registry.... <--- though that comment I realize gets some people in arms as being political)

Well, it's true that Canada hasn't LOST it's innocence over this unfortunate (and rightfully frightening) situation. When we lived there we had to endure so much flack about "American violence" and so forth, but no one wanted to own up to their own acts of internal violence. Those were brushed aside as though they were mere flukes, as if keeping their eyes firmly shut would make it all go away and they could just blame the Americans.

But no, Canada, unfortunately you are not and never have been immune or exempt from hateful acts, and it's probably in your best interest to stop pretending to be. It took 9/11 to wake up most Americans to that fact; I certainly hope it won't take something so obscene for you to take today's necessary precautions.

Feeling sad for you today. :(

I wasn't making fun of the situation but WAS poking gentle fun at the news coverage at 8 am

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug: I think it's really frustrating and quite depressing when one is misunderstood. 

In reference to the discussion of the media, I saw a couple of short articles today praising the CBC's long coverage as having been massively calmer and less wild than most American networks in similar situations (or even not similar situations, the cable news networks just like to play fast and loose whenever possible, it seems). 

I was very happy the media coverage for a lot of reasons.

- The MPs on lockdown were in contact with the media almost constantly. Phone interviews, twitter, etc. I didn't not see a single instance of one of them using this for political posturing. (It may have happened, but it wasn't well-publicized if it did happen.)
- There's a lot of coverage on the victim... not so much on the shooter. Every single news story I read spoke about the victim first (and in more detail). The victim's name was trending on twitter in my area (GTA), the shooter's was not. The prime minister didn't even mention the shooter's name in his speech.
- When the media DOES discuss the shooter, they're dealing with the story from a "extensive criminal background, presumed mental illness and unstable life" background, not a "RELIGION MUST BE STOPPED" angle.

I'm proud of how the country as a whole has responded, though I'm sure there are outliers to the general reaction.

I did find your post tackless and the timing of it was totally inappropriate. First you start a thread about a tragic event which is still unfolding, then before anyone can comment, you add that it makes you laugh the way the media is covering it, but you offer no explanation about what precisely made you laugh. Did you not think that people might be learning about the event and be worrying about the safety of their loved ones? This is exactly why social media, and it's unfiltered nature, can be very harmful and hurtful to people. You obviously were not in the same time zone as the event occurring, and maybe didn't know anyone who was in danger. Some people on this board had loved ones in possible danger. Seeing that there was a thread that seemed to offer support and sympathy then suddenly mock at it, was a shock. 

- Canada has not LOST its innocence. We've been to wars, we've had great acts of terror committed here (my father's work colleague died aboard Air India), we've had mass shootings, we've had a an MP kidnapped and killed & we've had martial law declared on our streets.  The person who made the comment continued to say 'we're neither virgins nor babies'

One thing that keeps going on in my head is that most of what you list happened in my province. (Well, not Air India bombing, and mass shootings have happened elsewhere)

Montreal has had 3 school shootings. I survived the first one.  I believe it's the city that had the most.

Pierre Laporte was in Quebec City

Martial law was also in Quebec - has there been martial law elsewhere in Canada ?

Now looking at very recent history:

Magnotta in Montreal, with a very gruesome murder

the two killers  this last week were from the Montreal area

Is it just because I live here, and therefore I remember those events more than those happening elsewhere ?

I know Moncton was in lockdown last year. I know there are a couple of school shootings elsewhere in Canada. But it sure feels we get more than our share. 

Picton was definitely really bad...  Definitely on par with Magnotta, if not worse!

If it was just population density, then Toronto would "win". But it may be that my perspective is skewed. See, I had forgotten about Mayerthorpe . 

So we'll chalk it up to proximity.

and yes, I'm a survivor of Polytechnique .  So certain news hit me really hard.