Menu

How many of you would do this?

I've been waiting for some home school funding to come avail in my state for 2 years. I realize I'm waiting in vain truly.

BUT, Now I have an email from my local home school board founder after she returned from a conference with this info:

Get $800 per child to use on the curriculum the online school chooses, or $600 per child on what I choose, just join this online charter new to our state. They'll leave you alone. Turn in 2 worksheets per month and you can do them with the child. Can use 300 per child on museum memberships, laptops, iPad, microscope, etc.

I'm attaching the article I found from a Utah paper for deeper insight into the company doing it there in that state.

cleardot.gif

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57580034-78/politics-schools-audit-utah.html.csp

http://harmonyed.com/minnesota/educational-programs/program-overview

My main concern is of course, control. Which I don't want to give up by associating myself with any SD. WTM obviously doesnt recommend this. I don't think I like it much either, as I'm not much of a control giver upper, even before I read WTM. :)

It also doesn't say what is required of testing annually in the email blast, but I'm sure standardized testing applies.

I get the reason why they are doing it. Even tho the tag line at the bottom reads, "This program was created by home schoolers for home schoolers.  It is a way for us to be able to use our educational tax dollars to educate our kids the way we want.  I hope it helps some families out there."

I know the gal who sent it out and she is a genuine person. So no malice suspected of her.

Would you do this? Or not and why? Have any of you done this and what was your experience?

Thanks for your thoughts. We could really use the reimbursement for things we truly need (um like huge . . .) , but I don't think this is the way. . . .

I was very tempted by the same (likely) email. I finally googled the local program and found the school it is through. I decided it is essentially like any other public online school-at-home, in it's early stages when they are trying to attract more people. To participate, you do still enroll in a public school. If that is an option you are ok with, then it is likely fine. For me, knowing people who use an online public school and seeing how it is working out for them after a few years.....I pass.

I'm part of a program like this.

We used to be able to spend the money and keep everything. Now some things can be kept (workbooks, lined paper, art supplies, ect) and other things must be returned (math wrap-ups, microscopes) at the end of the year, or renewed for the next year.

We do not have to turn in any work but we do turn in monthly reports on what we did that month.  They do not have to align to anyone's standards but my own.  I can use any curricula I like, or no curricula at all.  They are supposed to show "progress".  This irritates some people, but since I already write plans I just look over them and take 5 minutes to write them up.

We have to do yearly testing from 3rd grade up.  This is a deal-breaker for many families.  I honestly don't care.  They dont have to do WELL on the test, they just have to TAKE it.  We can do it at our local school or I can give any state approved test myself at home.  We haven't done one yet (no third graders) but I dont expect it to be a big deal.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of government fear.  And while the 500$ per child (my allotment) isn't NECESSARY to home school, yeah, it makes a big difference in the programs I can use, how often I can drop stuff that isn't working to something else, how much of our family money can go to other things like beefing up our home library and museum passes, ect.    

I've been waiting for some home school funding to come avail in my state for 2 years. I realize I'm waiting in vain truly.

BUT, Now I have an email from my local home school board founder after she returned from a conference with this info:

Get $800 per child to use on the curriculum the online school chooses, or $600 per child on what I choose, just join this online charter new to our state. They'll leave you alone. Turn in 2 worksheets per month and you can do them with the child. Can use 300 per child on museum memberships, laptops, iPad, microscope, etc.

I'm attaching the article I found from a Utah paper for deeper insight into the company doing it there in that state.

cleardot.gif

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57580034-78/politics-schools-audit-utah.html.csp

http://harmonyed.com/minnesota/educational-programs/program-overview

My main concern is of course, control. Which I don't want to give up by associating myself with any SD. WTM obviously doesnt recommend this. I don't think I like it much either, as I'm not much of a control giver upper, even before I read WTM. :)

It also doesn't say what is required of testing annually in the email blast, but I'm sure standardized testing applies.

I get the reason why they are doing it. Even tho the tag line at the bottom reads, "This program was created by home schoolers for home schoolers.  It is a way for us to be able to use our educational tax dollars to educate our kids the way we want.  I hope it helps some families out there."

I know the gal who sent it out and she is a genuine person. So no malice suspected of her.

Would you do this? Or not and why? Have any of you done this and what was your experience?

Thanks for your thoughts. We could really use the reimbursement for things we truly need (um like huge . . .) , but I don't think this is the way. . . .

No. It's public school at home. IOW, children are enrolled in public school and are legally public school students, not homeschooled students. As public school students, they are subject to the same kinds of things classroom-based students are subject to, including mandated subjects that may be objectionable to the parents; they will not be able to advance in areas where they excel, nor to take longer to work on things that they are less capable of doing or just that they are slow workers.

I do not need that kind of help from the government. I want to be completely in charge of all areas of my children's education. It is why I didn't send them to public school in the first place.

Thanks for all your thoughts and responses everyone.

I don't want to be involved in the system at all, and wish there was an option for us that would be a better fit.

But as the old man says in Grumpy Old Men -- You can wish in one hand, and crap in the other and see which fills up first. LOL :)

We use a public charter school in San Diego to homeschool, but I would not enroll in an online school like this. In our charter, we are able to pick our [secular] curriculum (you can use religious materials on your own dime), can accelerate or slow down as necessary, and turn in 1 work sample from each subject every other month and a PE/schoolwork record (I only have to demonstrate that one thing was learned each day -- in this way, many unschoolers are able to participate). For us, it is totally worth it. My son loves his [optional] charter school classes -- they are the fun stuff that I am not good at (art, gardening, music, Legos, robotics, etc.) -- and we enjoy being a part of a larger school community while still being able to do our own thing as homeschoolers. It is the best of both worlds for us -- at least at this point. But, I would not want anyone else to dictate our curriculum choices, etc.

My state has oversight groups or charters where you get a yearly stipend of around $2000. If I was homeschooling I would for sure take advantage of it. In my state you do have to do the state testing but you can use whatever curriculum you want unless it is religious. You can also use it for extracurricular activities. There are all types of homeschoolers who use it including unschoolers. It isn't too involved and they do not care what materials you use or what method you school with. They don't use it to get people for educational neglect. For me it would change what types of curriculum I would be able to afford. You have to return non consumables if you enroll your kids in a public school halfway through but you keep it if you stay in the whole school year.

Do it if you can't do right by your kids without it.

Otherwise, follow your gut.

That's pretty much my thoughts on a lot of things. Mind you, we love public school, ourselves. I just wouldn't take the money if I thought it would compromise my values.

Good luck. It's hard to say no to cash!

I'd totally do that if it really allows you that degree of autonomy. But I'd be going through the fine print with a fine tooth comb before I signed up.

Yes, this.

I live in PA, so we have too much oversight as it is. I'd love to get something for that oversight. But I do get to use my own choice of subjects and materials, and that matters a lot to me. If it were just a couple of worksheets a month and some money, I'd do it. Just read the fine print first.

We use a public charter school in San Diego to homeschool, but I would not enroll in an online school like this. In our charter, we are able to pick our [secular] curriculum (you can use religious materials on your own dime), can accelerate or slow down as necessary, and turn in 1 work sample from each subject every other month and a PE/schoolwork record (I only have to demonstrate that one thing was learned each day -- in this way, many unschoolers are able to participate). For us, it is totally worth it. My son loves his [optional] charter school classes -- they are the fun stuff that I am not good at (art, gardening, music, Legos, robotics, etc.) -- and we enjoy being a part of a larger school community while still being able to do our own thing as homeschoolers. It is the best of both worlds for us -- at least at this point. But, I would not want anyone else to dictate our curriculum choices, etc.

Wow, that sounds like a great option I'd love to have! Anyone knows if this kind of public charter option is available near Austin, Seattle or Colorado Springs? Or where can I find such information?

Wow, that sounds like a great option I'd love to have! Anyone knows if this kind of public charter option is available near Austin, Seattle or Colorado Springs? Or where can I find such information?

Charter schools are not terribly popular in Texas at this point, probably in part because of the homeschool situation--no accountability whatsoever, such that enrolling the children in a charter school is much more painful than getting "free" stuff is worth. I don't know about Washington or Colorado.

Thanks for the additional comments.

In this one you can pick either their curriculum, or choose your own.

But I'm just not ready to give up control of my kiddos in this scenario. They are doing too well !

Even tho man I could easily spend the cash. Couldn't we all??????

I'm repurposing an ASIS that's a few years old but used maybe 20 times. So that will be a start, their own dedicated school PC.

And when my sister buys my Dad a new iPad this Christmas, I get his old one. But it's a gen 1 so who know what we can run on it. :confused1:

I probably would do it. I think most districts are trying to come up with a way to enroll more kids to keep federal education matching funds and allocating $600 to my child still leaves them with a couple thousand to the good for their budget. I also know that I can withdraw at anytime by filing another notice of intent. The same thing happened in Virginia with K-12 materials. They made it seem attractive, a lot of people signed up, and then once they began using the materials they decided they were not right for their family. But for some it works.

I also like the idea of change to education policy in America from the inside. What we are doing is not working and I would like to see real change for all students. This program might not do it, but I am always interested in evaluating different ideas.

I'm with a charter where I trade a pretty minimal amount of paperwork and oversight (a chart of what she's learned, a few samples of work, a 1hr. meeting with a very personable and encouraging partner teacher every 20 school days) for a pretty hefty chunk of funds to spend on classes or non-sectarian instructional materials, as well as some other free resources provided to all enrolled students. (We like to focus funds on classes and consumables since non-consumables have to be returned, but... Beast Academy! Microscope! The partner teacher loans out returned non-consumables, too.) How and what she learns is still my choice, as long as she's learning.

The pro's for us: making it easier to afford some things; a little accountability, esp. in subjects or times where I might be tempted to slack a little; some rhythm = taking the time to appreciate and catalogue all she's learned each month, then starting the next month with renewed energy

The con's for us: keeping up with little changes in what the state/charter require; not letting those requirements change how I homeschool too much, if I don't really think it's better instructionally (i.e., pictures of her whiteboard work can no longer be submitted as samples - we'll still do a lot of work on whiteboards, copy out one by hand for a sample when we need to); we do have to participate in some testing, not much, and while I won't let that stress her out, it can stress me out a little :). Last one I wonder about: legally it would be very easy to leave the charter if the con's started to outweigh the pro's, but how hard would it be financially to give up or compensate for the little extras?

We use a similar program and really enjoy it. We choose all materials and how they are implemented. It doesn't change what we do at home except that I mark attendance and give a general overview of what we do. I can withdraw at any time. The money is very nice and certainly worth the minimal extra time I spend to get it.