Menu

Update on my son.

AmyontheFarm

Back story: Our son has a global muscle delay.  Which basically means he has to work harder to get those muscles to develop and stay strong.  As a 3 year old he had the muscle tone of an 18 month. When he was a toddler we were told he might end up in a wheelchair.  The Momma bear in me said, "NO Way!"  We worked him hard, never letting the therapists let us stop and he never ended up in that wheelchair.  The therapists taught me how to do the therapy at home correctly because I told them I was going to do it, so they might as well teach me how to do it right!  They couldn't figure out why he was progressing so quickly, it wasn't until we were 2 months in that they caught on I was doing the therapy multiple times a day, but my son was a toddler and he thought we were playing a game, he was happy and I was happy. :)  They told me to cut back, so I did.  By the time we were done, he was out of leg braces, insoles, crutches everything!

Back on July 22 of this year, my ds13 fell off the hay wagon that they were unloading, approx 10 feet to the ground, and fractured his pelvis, the "cup" in the hip joint and a joint in his elbow.  The dr's put him in a wheelchair and told us no weight bearing until he was healed.  Blessedly, he sort of landed on some bales so there was no concussion or back injury.

I am happy to announce our Son is officially allowed out of his wheelchair and is relearning how to walk again.  He lost a lot of his muscle tone. When he is really tired he will start to drag his leg behind him.  The big surprise is that he has also grown 3 inches in 2 months!  He now towers over me and his older sister!  A growth like that would normally be hard on him physically by itself.

We start on Friday, back at the Children's Rehab Centre, I'm glad to be getting the same therapists as before and they know we will work hard. 

Anyway, I'm so grateful that my son is well and walking around harassing his sisters and help Daddy a bit back out in the barn.  The same week my son fell, a local father fell the same height and his memorial service was last week.  He broke his back, developed organ failure, had a stroke and finally a heart attack and died.  Every time, I hug my son I remember what could have been.

Glad he is doing so well.  Farm accidents can be very serious things.

Just curious---do they know the cause of his muscle delay?

Are you ready for this can of worms.

No proof but I have a suspicion that my son is "an acceptable risk" to the side effects of Diclectin. 

In our area there is an absence of boys born during the year I had conceived my son.  The number of girls is normal.  The boys just don't exist.  For example at the school my son used to go to.  4 boys, 35 girls.   The next school over 2 boys, 27 girls.  And at both schools, all the boys have some sort of special needs.  At my son's school ALL the boys had muscle delays.   There are also lower numbers of boys the year before and after my sons grade.

I'm told that it is all just "chance".  I don't believe it.  The only two things I had while I was pregnant was Diclectin and a pregnancy vitamin.  I took 3 doses of the Diclectin.  By the third dose, I was vomiting blood.  Never took it again. 

I believe after talking to other parents who took Diclectin and who miscarried children who would have been born around my son's birth date, that they most likely miscarried sons.  The dr's in our area commented that their work loads where "lighter" for a time.

We have no actual proof.  And the way things are set up in Canada, no real way to get the "powers that be" to fess up that this happened.  I wonder if we got bad shipments or what.  I don't know.  I'm just grateful my son is here, and is healing.

Thanks for the update - I'm glad all is going well! And interesting observation about Dicletin... why was everyone taking it? I'll admit I've never heard of it before. It sure does sound awfully fishy to be "chance" with what you described.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diclectin

The drug itself seems well documented as safe, but I would wonder about a bad lot if everyone was taking it. I would be more suspicious though with such high rates of problems that there was something in the water that year causing trouble...did everyone really take diclectin? I guess if the doctors were just handing it out like candy to every pregnant woman...

Dh and his sister have some issues affecting their eyes, ears and kidneys that his dr. brother has speculated may be the result of asthma medication their mother was taking during the years she was pregnant with them. They are less than two years apart, and the only members of the family with such problems.

The drug itself seems well documented as safe, but I would wonder about a bad lot if everyone was taking it. I would be more suspicious though with such high rates of problems that there was something in the water that year causing trouble...did everyone really take diclectin? I guess if the doctors were just handing it out like candy to every pregnant woman...

Thanks for the link.  I'd also be wondering about a bad lot under the circumstances.  Plus one would need to check that all were using it (or if not, if there were issues with those who didn't).  I never got any sort of morning sickness with any of my pregnancies.  I doubt I'm that rare.  Women like me shouldn't have gotten it.

No matter what, something seems to have been an issue there.  Chance doesn't seem terribly likely if the numbers (and issues) are correct.

Regardless of cause, still wishing the OP and her son well with recovery from this accident and glad all went well earlier in life.  Mama bears rule!

Thanks for the update - I'm glad all is going well!  And interesting observation about Dicletin... why was everyone taking it?  I'll admit I've never heard of it before.  It sure does sound awfully fishy to be "chance" with what you described.

At the time, a script was handed to every mom to fill if she needed it.  So, that increased our local use of it.  Someone higher up noticed and suddenly you practically had to yank the dr's teeth out to get that script.  Once that happened, the boys vs girls numbers evened out (50-50, 49-51 average)

Dh and his sister have some issues affecting their eyes, ears and kidneys that his dr. brother has speculated may be the result of asthma medication their mother was taking during the years she was pregnant with them. They are less than two years apart, and the only members of the family with such problems.

We are thinking a bad lot of the drug also.

We did joke for a few years that something was in the water at church because for two years in the church nursery there was all girls then for two years there were all boys.  Now, we are talking only 4-8 babies so not really a big enough sampling to make any assumption.  I do know that 5 of my friends who all took diclectin all miscarried by week 15.  Some a few months before I became pregnant and some after I gave birth.  It wouldn't be unheard of for a Mom with extreme nausea at the 12-15 week to be given the drug because usually nausea should settle down by then.  My nausea was so bad that I would start vomiting before I even opened my eyes.  I slept with a pail beside my bed.  Once I vomited I had about 40 minutes to scramble to get things done before I started again.  I would make myself eat as soon as I was done vomiting just to keep nutrients going to the baby and to make sure I had something to vomit up later on. I had the diclentin around week 13-14 because I figured I was out of the first trimester and I needed to just stop getting sick.  I had lost a bunch of weight.  When my vomiting changed to me vomiting up blood I stopped the diclentin.  I had 60 pills and I only ended up taking 3 of them and that was it. 

With my girls I never even had nausea.  Only my son. He was born Jan 2001.