Menu

Bento Boxes?

Scrub Jay

Ds2 has this one. It specifically says not to use with liquids. I've noticed a lot of traditional style bento boxes are also not recommended for liquids. I haven't looked into other types, though. I'm sure they're out there!

I like this one because it's dishwasher safe and with it being stainless steel it's doesn't retain odors from foods. My ds likes it because it's cool looking. lol. It also doesn't get squished in his backpack. And it locks so it won't accidentally open up.

I bought some silicone muffin cups from walmart to use with it. His typical lunch is a salad on the bottom half and a slider bun-sized sandwich in top. The top part also includes dressing in a little disposable plastic container (also from walmart) and maybe a chocolate or cookie--in one of those handy silicone cups--or a protein bar for later. I can also squeeze in a plastic fork diagonally across the top. It makes arranging a bit fun when you're squeezing in various shapes. We haven't used the small interior box at all.

I'm still using disposables but the box has cut our use of sandwich bags way down. A couple of times I fudged our bento boxes out of regular plastic food containers but it just wasn't quite as nicely compact. And he couldn't put it into his backpack as it would get squashed and it probably wouldn't stay closed.

Have fun searching for the right box for you--there's so much out there!

My dh uses the rubbermaid lunchblox entrée size, and they also have kid sized ones.  I like these because they are liquid safe and have an integrated ice pack that the boxes click into. 

7P96-silo-2-medium.jpg1T65-05-medium.jpg

I also have two (now very old) laptop lunchboxes which have four or so boxes, of which 2 are water tight.  I got these back when Vegan Lunchbox was THE bento blog and I wanted to join a trend.  :-) 

L600-jubilee_175x175-bento-lunchbox.jpg

Don't get the metal latching ones! They were so appealling to me, but I ended up recycling them because not even my husband could get it open! Talking about these...

http://www.amazon.com/To--Ware-2-Tier-Stainless-Lunch/dp/B000H92LWE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1404920016&sr=8-14&keywords=stainless+steel+lunch+box

I have one of these and love it! I bought this one for myself and a PlanetBox for my son a few years ago. My son never did like the PlanetBox much, but we both use the To Go Ware tiffin frequently. I've had no problems opening it.

Ohoooo, I'll delurk for this thread!!

I have a bento collection.... seriously, it has actually become a bad habit. I have to control myself on what I purchase! In my defense, it started when I lived in Japan, so that excuses me...right?!?!

Anyway....

Two questions: how much do you want to spend and do you want them to keep food cool?

These are my current favorites: 

You can find this at Wallyworld: 

http://www.coolgearinc.com/food-storage/expandable/bento-box-ez-freeze.html

You can find this at Target:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/pages/subcategorylanding.aspx?CatName=FoodStorage&SubCatId=LunchBlox

Both keep food cool even in AZ, where we are normally at 100+.

I have this one too and it is good. Wallyworld carries it.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Planet-3-Compartment-Silicone-Collapsible/dp/B0051XRY4Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1404924028&sr=8-4&keywords=bento+box

OR!! You can go totally fun and semi-practical:

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Geisha-Doll-Bento-Set/dp/B004VR6SF4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1404924028&sr=8-7&keywords=bento+box

or

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-280-129-2-Tiered-Bento-Panda/dp/B00200L840/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1404924086&sr=8-19&keywords=bento+box

or, my favorite and I do NOT have it.... and am not putting it in my shopping cart for another time either.....

http://www.amazon.com/Bento-Delivery-Service-Design-2-tier/dp/B00B8NLRVE/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1404924086&sr=8-23&keywords=bento+box

I love Kiki!!

If you are looking to keep something warm, but I'll be honest and say that the price here in the US is outrageous for that product... I have the same thing in Miffy by Zojirushi and it cost me Y1000 (about $12): 

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SZ-GD02PM-Bento-Stainless-Lunch/dp/B008OBTYZY/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404924150&sr=1-7&keywords=bento+box+zojirushi

Ohooo, I want this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bento-Totoro-Design-Thermal-Containers/dp/B00659N39K/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404924352&sr=1-3&keywords=totoro+bento

Except WAY to $$!  Ouch!!

Alright, I'm going back to A&P. Muscles stink.

Good luck... oh, and post what you decide to get!!

Kris

Totally, off topic... but, OKBud... why does that tree look like it is wearing tighty-whities??  The one in your avatar?!?

Kris

Goodbyn is the one I always reach for for the kids.
http://www.reuseit.com/food-containers/goodbyn-goodbyn-bynto-small-lunch-box.htm?origin=product-search&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=comparsionshopping&aff=5151&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0POdBRCq3arGgYD05pMBEiQAmiUeTlAD_g7wVV6mw5yS_aqgDFLNWnZc1zFmZvWQMsJ-D3YaAv9j8P8HAQ

You can't put outright soup in it, but "wet" food will stay in its little compartment with no problem whatsoever. I feel like they are the perfect size, and look smaller in pics than they are in real.life.

Don't get the metal latching ones! They were so appealling to me, but I ended up recycling them because not even my husband could get it open! Talking about these...
http://www.amazon.com/To--Ware-2-Tier-Stainless-Lunch/dp/B000H92LWE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1404920016&sr=8-14&keywords=stainless+steel+lunch+box

I do love lunchbots, though, for snacks.
http://www.reuseit.com/food-containers/lunchbots-lunchbots-stainless-steel-food-containers.htm

That site has the more traditional type bentos too, and they look great. I've found that the byntos and lunchbots,though less traditional, work a bit better for my little critters. Ymmv :-)

http://www.reuseit.com/bento-boxes/bento-boxes.htm

Because the tree in my avatar has no shame?

Because the tree in my avatar is inebriated?

Because the tree in my avatar is away at camp with a bunch of scoundrels, and is the victim of a memorable prank?

Because the tree in my avatar knows yolo?

Because the tree in my avatar lost a contact, is bent over looking for it, and the wind blew her skirts up?

Because the tree in my avatar is doing yoga in his unders in his backyard and didn't realize the punk next door was snickering and taking pictures of it and posting them on the internet?

There are so many possibilities! :-D

Ahhhhhhh, smarta$$es!!!!!!

It is always good to know that I am not the only one who would answer like that!!!

Kris

Oh my goodness! That kikis delivery service is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! Ohhhh i feel a self birthday present coming on :-)

Oh man! There's a totoro one too. I am unnaturally excited about these!

NOW you see why I have a collection.

The reason I know I have a problem is that I own....um.... a lot.

Kris

Yeah, I'm thinking stuff like yogurt not soup.  So many links to look at - thank you!

In that case, I would go with the Rubbermaid LunchBlox.

a) they don't leak as long as the lid is on properly (and the lids are easy, my mom with RA uses mine all the time)

b) you can add an extra layer of ice pack above as well as below to keep the yoghurt cool.

You will need a bag to put them into though. Some of the LunchBlox ones are darling.

Kris

We have quite a collection too…I think Zojirushi is my favorite. Good quality and leak-proof. My only issues with all of our bento boxes is not really being able to pack hot things and cold things together. Some of the pieces are microwavable but we don't take them places where that is an option.

I love them also. It's a good thing I don't leave the house for lunch on a regular basis or I would have a serious collection.

My 9 year old wanted one also and we got him the Laptop lunchbox. He adores it.

If anyone finds a Moomin bento, don't tell me. I have no control when it comes to Moomin

In that case, I would go with the Rubbermaid LunchBlox.

a) they don't leak as long as the lid is on properly (and the lids are easy, my mom with RA uses mine all the time)

B) you can add an extra layer of ice pack above as well as below to keep the yoghurt cool.

You will need a bag to put them into though. Some of the LunchBlox ones are darling.

Kris

Agree on getting a bag. We tried this system with ds first but we didn't have a bag and pieces ended up lost. :glare:

For yoghurt, I bought the yoghurt squeeze tube for camp for convenience. If you DIY, the ice pack is very important if your child loves yoghurt chilled.

We have Japanese supermarkets near us (Nijiya, Marukai, Mitsuwa, et al) so I get bento boxes there, but unless you are in very specific parts of the U.S. that won't do you any good!

Daiso and the Korean supermarkets are great for bento boxes too. Sanrio has nice ones as well like the Shinkansen and Little Twin Stars and Hello Kitty.

Because the tree in my avatar has no shame?

Because the tree in my avatar is inebriated?

Because the tree in my avatar is away at camp with a bunch of scoundrels, and is the victim of a memorable prank?

Because the tree in my avatar knows yolo?

Because the tree in my avatar lost a contact, is bent over looking for it, and the wind blew her skirts up?

Because the tree in my avatar is doing yoga in his unders in his backyard and didn't realize the punk next door was snickering and taking pictures of it and posting them on the internet?

There are so many possibilities! :-D

Every time I see your aviator I am reminded of a tree in the main street of the town close to me. it has 2 breasts growing just below the branches. It looks like a wood nymph.

If I was a brave person I would put a Bra on it and take a photo.... but I am pretty shy and the tree is right in the median strip of the main road where everyone in the town would see.

Every time I see your aviator I am reminded of a tree in the main street of the town close to me. it has 2 breasts growing just below the branches. It looks like a wood nymph.

If I was a brave person I would put a Bra on it and take a photo.... but I am pretty shy and the tree is right in the median strip of the main road where everyone in the town would see.

Ok, next time I'm down your way, we'll sneak out after dark and do it.

My dh uses the rubbermaid lunchblox entrée size, and they also have kid sized ones.  I like these because they are liquid safe and have an integrated ice pack that the boxes click into. 

*(photo removed)*

My dh has the rubbermaid ones too and they are awesome.  He has the one pictured and also the salad kit one and uses both almost every day (he works 13 hours, so eats a few times).  They have been great because they are dishwasher/microwave safe and we also love the ice packs that come as part of it.  He brings homemade greek yogurt almost every day and it hasn't leaked yet, so they are pretty leakproof.

He wanted a zojirushi, but in the end we decided it was too expensive and that the rubbermaid ones would give him more flexibility and just be all around easier to use.  We haven't regretted that decision (and I'm the one that makes his lunch every day).

I like this thread. We have Japanese supermarkets near us (Nijiya, Marukai, Mitsuwa, et al) so I get bento boxes there, but unless you are in very specific parts of the U.S. that won't do you any good!

OH!!!

I don't want to know where you live.

I don't want to live where you live.

wait...

Actually, I do...but.....

My retirement does not want me to live where you live.

Krsi

I love them also. It's a good thing I don't leave the house for lunch on a regular basis or I would have a serious collection.

My 9 year old wanted one also and we got him the Laptop lunchbox. He adores it.

If anyone finds a Moomin bento, don't tell me. I have no control when it comes to Moomin

There is a Moomin shop near Tove Jansson Park in Helsinki.  One of my kids happened upon it by chance.  That was the highlight of the day, to be sure!

Costco has the clear lunchblox with colored lids.  I can't remember if it's a set of two, but it has more parts than is shown in the pic above.  Maybe it's the set above plus the salad set.  I might go shopping today. :D  I'll just pretend it's a Moomin bento set. :D

We have 4-5 of these in the 23 oz size. They're perfect for bento-style lunches and are only $3-$4 each. The only caveat is that I don't like to shove the container down inside of the kids' backpacks; it really need to be in a lunch bag that allows it to be carried flat instead of on its side. I've bought all of ours at TJ Maxx but I've seen them in other stores as well. 

Sistema-1220-rw-263943-585611.jpg

We have 4-5 of these in the 23 oz size. They're perfect for bento-style lunches and are only $3-$4 each. The only caveat is that I don't like to shove the container down inside of the kids' backpacks; it really need to be in a lunch bag that allows it to be carried flat instead of on its side. I've bought all of ours at TJ Maxx but I've seen them in other stores as well. 

Sistema-1220-rw-263943-585611.jpg

I was talking to a friend who uses a sistema one that has a sandwich section and then underneath 3 smaller sections.  It isn't leak proof but a small yogurt container could go in one of the sections.

I actually may just go with this - then I wouldn't have anxiety every time she uses an expensive Bento Box.  LOL  (But boy do I want one for me!)

• 2 weeks later...

bought some silicone muffin cups from walmart to use with it. His typical lunch is a salad on the bottom half and a slider bun-sized sandwich in top. The top part also includes dressing in a little disposable plastic container (also from walmart) and maybe a chocolate or cookie--in one of those handy silicone cups--or a protein bar for later. I can also squeeze in a plastic fork diagonally across the top. It makes arranging a bit fun when you're squeezing in various shapes. We haven't used the small interior box at all.

Thank you for telling me about these little cups. I bought some to use (and re-use) w/ DH's lunch, for ex: I put crushed walnuts in one (when I remember...unlike today) so they won't get soggy when he has time to eat the Waldorf salad I pack for him.

I recently took some salads in a jar to a friend who just had surgery. I put nuts in them like I do for DH and some salad dressing. I'm not big on disposable things, but w/ our washing them out and using them again, it's more cost effective and nicer to the planet. Great size and they help keep DH's lunch for him. 

TYVM!

I need to get a few more and the Rubbermaid lunchblox seem good, but how do they stay together?  It seems like it's just containers that can be stacked next to each other that aren't actually connected at all?

We have the Bentgo boxes and I really like them.  A friend has the Monbento ones and they're really, really nice.  But also really, really expensive.

My dh has the rubbermaid ones too and they are awesome.  He has the one pictured and also the salad kit one and uses both almost every day (he works 13 hours, so eats a few times).  They have been great because they are dishwasher/microwave safe and we also love the ice packs that come as part of it.  He brings homemade greek yogurt almost every day and it hasn't leaked yet, so they are pretty leakproof.

He wanted a zojirushi, but in the end we decided it was too expensive and that the rubbermaid ones would give him more flexibility and just be all around easier to use.  We haven't regretted that decision (and I'm the one that makes his lunch every day).

Yeah, ok, but the homemade Greek yogurt?  How do you make it? :D

Haha, I make regular yogurt and then strain it over cloth napkins for an hour or so.  I keep the whey to use for muffins or in other recipes.  My girls like regular yogurt, but hubby prefers the thicker stuff. :)

Use a greek yogurt you like for the culture. Greek yogurt uses a culture that creates a particularly thick yogurt. Then hang it/strain it with cheese cloth. It will become very thick. Use some of the excess whey to thin it out to your taste. You just beat it back in until it looks good. It gets very creamy and glossy. I use Chobani or Fadge. You only need a couple tablespoons for a whole batch.

I use the excess whey as my bread making liquid. It makes the most amazing bread. I freeze all the whey I can find and use it for bread. I sometimes toss it in smoothies as well, but mostly I like it for bread.

I need to get a few more and the Rubbermaid lunchblox seem good, but how do they stay together?  It seems like it's just containers that can be stacked next to each other that aren't actually connected at all?

They snap together. They snap to the ice packs, too. We're very happy with ours. 

i'm just thinking what a good thing it is that I didn't start reading about adorable bento lunches until after my kids were older. Otherwise, I cannot imagine how many hours of my life I might have devoted to packing them.

I guess I should NOT tell you how good Japanese mothers do it?!?!?

Kris

Oh, go ahead. Tell us!

LOL!!  Bento is a work of art!  Here is a description:

http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/how-to-make-bento/

Here is my favorite website:

http://justbento.com

I LOVE her bentos!

OH!!  And, HERE is what I miss of Japan the most... well, shopping wise....

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics/where-buy-bento-boxes-and-accessories-japan

Kris

Ohoooo, I'll delurk for this thread!!

I have a bento collection.... seriously, it has actually become a bad habit. I have to control myself on what I purchase! In my defense, it started when I lived in Japan, so that excuses me...right?!?!

(lots snipped....)

Kris

Hi Kris! I was just looking at my children's bento boxes that we bought in Japan back in the early-mid '90s. I want to declutter my kitchen but I can't bring myself to chuck them!

I haven't had a need for bento boxes in the last 6 or 7 years, but I've been noticing the trend here in the USA. If I needed to carry my lunch someplace, I would be all over some of the ones I've seen recently.

Hi Kris! I was just looking at my children's bento boxes that we bought in Japan back in the early-mid '90s. I want to declutter my kitchen but I can't bring myself to chuck them!

I haven't had a need for bento boxes in the last 6 or 7 years, but I've been noticing the trend here in the USA. If I needed to carry my lunch someplace, I would be all over some of the ones I've seen recently.

ROFL!!  Better check with your kids before you do get rid of them!  They might want them for their own kids!!!

BOTH of my kids have laid claim on several of MY bentos (mine, not family, NOT kid, MINE!!).

I told them they have to wait until I croak!!

Kris

My favorite coffee mugs are Moomin!!! I got them from one of those weird YankeeSwap/Greed Game things at Christmas time. I couldn't believe they weren't being fought over!! They are the only decent thing I've ever received from those things.