Menu

Favorite children's fantasy books: Classic and contemporary

Help me pull together a list of the greatest fantasy books for children - stand-alones, or series.  I'm not looking for really sciency sci fi here, but really fantasy.

ETA: adding great suggestions from the Hive, thanks all! Some may not like my sorting into "classic" and contemporary, but it's my thread so I get to sort them how I like! Feel free to make arguments for or against, though.  I get that my classic/contemporary cutoff is sorta fuzzy.  Did I unconsciously sort them by before/after I was born?  Maybe

"Classic" Children's Fantasy

Alice & Through the Looking Glass - Lewis

The Hobbit and LOTR - Tolkein

The Chonicles of Narnia - Lewis

The Chronicles of Prydain - Alexander

The Princess & the Goblin/The Princess and Curdie - George MacDonald

The Marvellous Land of Snergs - Wyke Smith

Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet; The Amulet (Nesbit)

The Book of Dragons (Nesbit) -- 7 short stories

Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

The Wizard of Oz - Baum

The Borrowers - Mary Norton

The Rescuers - Margery Sharp

Mary Poppins - PL Travers

The Neverending Story - Michael Ende

The Once and Future King - T H White

The Children of Green Knowe series - Lucy Boston

The Famous Five, The Secret Seven - Enid Blyton

Peter Pan

The Little Prince

Watership Down

Pinnochio

Color fairy books - Andrew Lang

The Thirteen Clocks - James Thurber

The LIttles - John Peterson

Dr. Dolittle

The Wind in the Willows

Tom's Midnight Garden - Phillipa Pearce

My Father's Dragon (Gannett)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Fleming)

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory; Great Glass Elevator (Dahl)

Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid)

Contemporary Children's Fantasy - recommended by boardies

The Wizard of Earthsea - Le Guin

The Dark is Rising - Cooper

Wrinkle in Time series - L'EngleHis Dark Materials series - Pullman

Harry Potter - JK Rowling

Inkheart Trilogy - Cornelia Funke

The Last Unicorn - Peter Beagle

Percy Jackson and the Olympians - Rick Riordan

The Wee Free Men, the Bromeliad trilogy - Terry Pratchett

Sisters Grimm series - Michael Buckley

Artemis Fowl series - Eoin Colfer

Inheiritance series - Christopher Paolini

Stardust - Neil Gaiman (may be PG-13)

Redwall series - Brian Jaques

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Series of Unfortunate Events

Ella Enchanted - Gail Carson Levine

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Gregor the Overlander & series

Howl's Moving Castle

Enchantress to the Stars - Sylvia Louise Engdahl

Books of Bayern - Shannon Hale

The Goose Girl 

Enna Burning 

River Secrets 

Forest Born

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles - Patricia Wrede

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - Grace Lin (and others by this author)

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards

Wizard's Apprentice/Circle of Magic series - MacDonald and Doyle

Wingfeather Saga - Andrew Peterson

The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic - Trafton is a good one, especially for younger kids

Momo - Michael Ende

The Ice Dragon Ă¢â‚¬â€œ George R. R. Martin

The Moorchild Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Eloise McGraw

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull 

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Pratchett. It's part of the Discworld series for children. 

Summerland by Michael Chabon 
The Last Dragonslayer and The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde. 

The Overland Chronicles

The Hero and the Crown

The Thief

The Crestomanci Chronicles by Diana Wynne Jones

The Apothecary (and its sequel, The Apprentice) by Maile Meloy

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and Starry River of the Sky

The Grimm Legacy (and followup The Wells Bequest)

Jessica Day George's Tuesdays at the Castle

The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, Rose Daughter, Spindle's End, Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and Outlaws of Sherwood - Robin McKinley

Winterling series by Sarah Prineas.

Dragon Keepers Chronicles (Paul)

The Secret of Platform 13 (Ibbotson)

My son loves fantasy books so I'll be watching with interest. One series we enjoyed as a family was Dragon Rider by Funke iirc. Don't HP and Percy Jackson belong on this list as well, or are we just looking for classics? We've read most of those listed so far but I cannot think of anything new to add off the top of my head.

My son loves fantasy books so I'll be watching with interest. One series we enjoyed as a family was Dragon Rider by Funke iirc. Doesn't HP and Percy Jackson belong on this list as well? Or are we just looking for classics? We've read most of those listed so far. 

You're right, of course! Harry Potter is so in my face I didn't even think of it - despite the fact that Shannon has reread the entire series about 4 times this year!  And we haven't gotten into Percy Jackson yet, though I bet she will want to read the series when we do greek mythology again.

I'm not specifically trying to exclude modern books - I guess I want those that are classic, or those modern stories that you predict will become classics, they're that good.

Andrew Peterson's On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (& following books--Wingfeather Saga--so my eldest dd tells me) is very good:

http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2011/11/11/on-the-edge-of-the-dark-sea-of-darkness-by-andrew-peterson/

We just read The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander and LOVED it:

http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2014/01/28/the-book-of-three-by-lloyd-alexander/

The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic by Trafton is a good one, especially for younger kids:

http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2011/05/03/the-rise-and-fall-of-mount-majestic-by-jennifer-trafton/

What about The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and the Curdie by George MacDonald. I never read them when I was young, but a friend recommended them to me a year or so ago. It is so good.

ETA: Just saw them on your list!! Oops!

The Wind in the Willows?? I didn't consider it fantasy when I read it but maybe??

Ellie--so agree on the Rescuers. The book is SO much better

Ellie--so agree on the Rescuers. The book is SO much better

*All* of the books are so much better!

For those who don't know, there are eight books:

1. The Rescuers (1959)
  2. Miss Bianca (1962)
  3. The Turret (1963)
  4. Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (1966)
  5. Miss Bianca in the Orient (1970)
  6. Miss Bianca in the Antarctic (1971)
  7. Miss Bianca and the Bridesmaid (1972)
  8. Bernard the Brave (1977)
  9. Bernard into Battle (1978)

They're out of print (although someone here said she saw them on Amazon?) and not easy to find, but they're worth at least a little searching.

I just found some more from a list I started awhile ago - I haven't actually read any of these, anybody familiar with them?

Enchantress From the Stars Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Sylvia Louise Engdahl

The Children of Green Knowe Ă¢â‚¬â€œ L. M. Boston

I just found some more from a list I started awhile ago - I haven't actually read any of these, anybody familiar with them?

Enchantress From the Stars Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Sylvia Louise Engdahl

The Children of Green Knowe Ă¢â‚¬â€œ L. M. Boston

I have and really like The Moorchild.  Haven't yet read it to my kids, though...

Finally a list that has Pratchett, so I'll have to add another one of his quirky series, The Bromeliad Trilogy.

Okay, I got to add The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents by Pratchett. It's still part of the Discworld series for children.

Summerland by Michael Chabon

The Last Dragonslayer and The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde.

You definitely need Children of Green Knowe on there.  I'm not a fan of Enchantress to the Stars but I can see a case for that one...  I would maybe put the Andrew Lang fairy books on there too.  And The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber.  That's a must, IMO.

I would not include the Dragonriders of Pern.  I don't think they're for kids.  I don't think they're really classics.  It's a series that suffers from sloppy writing as it went on, sadly, and I think that devalues a series.  I do think the Harper Hall trilogy is good for kids, but there's even a (very mild) s*x scene in the third one of that too.

Otherwise, good list, though I've never heard of that Land Snerg book.  Huh.

I would also lobby for including the following...

The Overland Chronicles

The Hero and the Crown

The Thief

The Crestomanci Chronicles...  or SOMETHING by Diana Wynne Jones.  A list like this would not be complete without something.  Howl's Moving Castle perhaps.

Yes, anything Robin McKinley is wonderful.

I just read The Apothecary (and its sequel, The Apprentice) by Maile Meloy and they were great.  (Post WW2 London, youngish characters.)

Also Patricia Wrede's Frontier Magic trilogy was a great read (alternative history, wild west meets magic)... but it's probably for an older audience (preteens?).

And if we're going into teen/YA stuff, I quite liked Westerfeld's Leviathon/Goliath/Behemoth trilogy.  Steampunk WW1...fun stuff.

Wait, and I just realized Half Magic isn't on there!

LOL, I was just looking through ds' books looking for ideas to add and I saw Half Magic but I thought I seen it on the list so I didn't add it, ds LOVED it.

I've got to write some of these down so I don't forgot them when I go to the library. Right now ds' is enamored with The Mysterious Benedict Society but there are so many great suggestions here to keep us busy for a good while after he makes it through those. 

We loved Howl's Moving Castle so I've wanted to read the book but I never remember- so I just put it on hold- maybe we'll do it as a family read aloud. I always forget about the Overland Chronicles, I read some of that myself and enjoyed it. 

Most of the fantasy we love are on your list.

Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle (the dragon books) would be a good addition.

We love Enid Blyton books.

For older teens the Conan the Barbarian books (Robert E Howard) are good. I read most of them as a teen.

Any of Neil Gaiman's books, but especially Stardust...bonus points for reading the graphic novel. 

Peter Pan

The Little Prince

Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (basic fantasy genre stuff there...I read them in middle school).

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I know you didn't want science, but since Wrinkle in Time is listed.... ;) )

Watership Down

Redwall

The Spiderwick Chronicles

Pinnochio

Series of Unfortunate Events

Ella Enchanted (and others by Gail Carson Levine)

Certain Roald Dahl books

The Odyssey and The Iliad ( certain kid's adaptations for younger ones)

I'd put reading any Shakespeare adaptation in here (Lamb or Nesbit)

Jules Verne of course

I loved the Hero and the Crown in middle school, too.  The Children of Green Knowe and its sequels were favorties of mine as a kid and have been a big hit with my 8yo. That series is from the 50s and the language used to describe some of the characters (especially non-white characters) is different from what we'd use now, so it might not hurt to skim ahead if you're sensitive to language that sounds a little "off" by normal standards today.

It's funny to see people mention The Rescuers.  My daughter really enjoyed them too, but was completely flummoxed by the concept of a "Ladies' Auxilliary" to the mouse Rescue Aid Society.  When I explained the concept she just stared at me as though I'd grown an extra head or something.  The idea of boarding school common in some of these books was also bizarre to her.  I guess these are extra bits of knowledge we pick up from "classics."

Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon and Starry River of the Sky

The Grimm Legacy (and followup The Wells Bequest)

Jessica Day George's Tuesdays at the Castle (although can't recommend the 2nd book Wednesdays because it stopped in the middle and no sign of 3rd book yet   )

She also has a Dragon series (Dragon Slippers, Dragon Spear) - I didn't like that one as much myself, but it is in the read aloud pile in case DD is interested

I would call Dracula and Frankenstein for teens myself.

(eta- actually I would rate some of the others on the list for teens as well - like the Earthsea trilogy but others I would rate more for younger kids - like Gregor or the JDG Dragon series I list above)

For teens, Jessica Day George  12 Dancing Princess series is enjoyable

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, anything Robin McKinley is wonderful.Ă¢â‚¬Â¦

No no no. 

Deerskin by Robin McKinley is not wonderful and is not not not for children.

The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown, however are simply wonderful.

I'm not familiar enough with her other books to say one way or the other.

No no no. 

Oh, definitely NOT Deerskin!! :eek:

I'm rereading The Blue Sword right now. I own that and The Hero and the Crown in hardcover. I've read and enjoyed Rose Daughter, Spindle's End, Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and Outlaws of Sherwood. I bought Deerskin and threw it away.

No no no. 

That is true -- I'd forgotten about that one.  Deerskin can be disturbing (more of an adult-themed book, for sure)... and while it's hard to read, I don't dislike it.  But I would NEVER read it to a child.

And now that I'm thinking on it, McKinley does have some inappropriate-for-young-readers work.  I would not recommend the vampire book (Sunshine).  

But:  Beauty, Rose Daughter, Blue Sword, Hero & the Crown, Spindle's End, The Door in the Hedge, A Knot in the Grain & Other Stories, Outlaws of Sherwood... all good.

The Stone Fey, for all that it looks like a child's picture book... is not a book for a child, IMO.  It's a very confusing mix:  an adult story wrapped in a picture book.

Chalice was fairly good... it's somewhat of another Beauty & the Beast retelling...

I never read Dragonhaven.  

The book she co-wrote with her husband was "meh" (Fire: Tales of Elemental Spirits).  

Pegasus was interesting but sloooooow and left unresolved with no indication of when the sequel would be out.

She also has a BRAND NEW book, Shadows, that I know nothing of... It was released in January.

My girls loved this book!

I noticed you mentioned it in some other discussions. 

Kind of a long story, but I have to tell it.  Batgirl was given this book as a gift from an old retired public school teacher.  We met him at the fair the year she was about six or seven.  We had a booth of crafts and he had a booth of carved tombstones...no, I'm not kidding.  He and the kids really hit it off and they played checkers to pass the time.  Well, one day after the fair he knocked on our door and had The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles for my daughter (I think Robin was given a Hotwheels or something).  She loved that book and read it aloud to me.  The other day I told her that I was reading the book aloud to Junior Batgirl.  She said, "Is it my book?  Did you find it?  Where was it?  I loved that book!  When you are done, give it back to me because I wanna read it."  She's 21.  :001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this book has been mentioned already, but we just finished Cornelia Funke's Igraine the Brave and my girls LOVED it.   :hurray:

Totally age-appropriate for my 5 and 7 yr old ...and less name-calling than in Dragon Rider -- Sorrel does tend to call people mushroom-muncher and the like in D.R. :D   

ETA:  I see Gaiman's Stardust listed on the main page.  I do want to note that this is not something I'd read to young children, though *I* quite enjoyed it.  There are some violent descriptions --horrible things done to a unicorn-- and a s3x scene or two, if that's content you avoid with young ones.  I also think the f-bomb is dropped. :o

Forgive me if this book has been mentioned already, but we just finished Cornelia Funke's Igraine the Brave and my girls LOVED it.   :hurray:

Totally age-appropriate for my 5 and 7 yr old ...and less name-calling than in Dragon Rider -- Sorrel does tend to call people mushroom-muncher and the like in D.R. :D   

ETA:  I see Gaiman's Stardust listed on the main page.  I do want to note that this is not something I'd read to young children, though *I* quite enjoyed it.  There are some violent descriptions --horrible things done to a unicorn-- and a s3x scene or two, if that's content you avoid with young ones.  I also think the f-bomb is dropped. :o

Good to know!

I hadn't updated the original in awhile, but I just wanted to come back and say thanks for some things you guys turned me on to: We just finished 13 Clocks as a read-aloud, and the kids loved it.  And Shannon just finished The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and loved it passionately! She can't wait to start the next book.  So thanks for those gems!

Since this topic started ds has read Mysterious Benedict Society 2 and 3 and the first 3 of The Artemis Fowl series, he has really enjoyed both of these. He has also read The Little Prince, Ella Enchanted as well and is currently working on Taran Alexander (the first in the Chronicles of Prydain series) in the fantasy genre. I've got Redwall for our next read aloud, if I can keep him from reading it first. I'll definitely be coming back to this list as he has enjoyed so many on here fantasy is definitely his favorite genre (at least for now).  Thanks to the Op and all the contributors. It is nice to get recs from the Hive so I don't have to search everything out on my own, he reads so fast that I have a hard time keeping him supplied so it is nice knowing I can come here and find something that I can trust will be a good book.

It's been really helpful to me, too, so I appreciate people's suggestions.  I just realized I missed adding a whole section to the main list, I'm working on updating it now.  So if you didn't see your suggestion on there, my apologies! It can be hard to scroll while editing.  No slights intended!  :)