Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - week five

Robin M

Today I finished Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim. I absolutely loved it. A lot. No idea what is up next.

Completed So Far

1. Best Friends by Samantha Glen

2. Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

3. The Gift of Pets: Stories Only a Vet Could Tell by Bruce Coston

4. Nim Chimpsky: The Chimp Who Would Be Human by Elizabeth Hess

5. Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams & Mark Carwardine

6. Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was this? I own it, wanted DS to read but from the description, he thought it would be too intense. Real-life drama he avoids, fantasy and the like he's o.k. with. Just curious, I won't make him read it.

I thought it was excellent for a children's book. The sister accidentally gets left behind in Afghanistan when the family flees to Pakistan for safety. There's always the tension of "will she be found? will she be okay?". It's a very real-life story. You could skim it really quickly and see if you think he'd like it. I think it's a great way for a kid to read about Afghanistan and the Taliban, and the hardships facing this family that tries to integrate into their new life in the US, but there are definitely hard/scary things within.

Finished A Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. I liked it very much- he wasn't duplicitous (unlike the author in The Land of Believers, imho) and has a great sense of humor.

5 - Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (my new author fixation!)

F451 is a terrific read. There's an old movie of it too- time warped but fascinating- our library carries it.

I woke up early this morning and couldn't sleep and finished another book too. Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey) by Dorothy Sayers – I read the first of this series last year and thought it was okay. I love Brit mysteries and everyone on here was such a fan of the series that I thought I’d give it another go. Liked this book much better than the first, maybe because I knew the characters already? Who knows! Now I’m hooked on the series though.

I was on a bit of a Lord Peter fest last year (LOVE Lord Peter. Fav books of last year (and on life-time list of best reads) The 9 Tailors and Guady Night. I read 9 of the series last year, and then The Centenary Collection by Dale. A collection of essays about Sayers herself, by folks who knew her.

Paisley- hope you are doing better!

I was on a bit of a Lord Peter fest last year (LOVE Lord Peter. Fav books of last year (and on life-time list of best reads) The 9 Tailors and Guady Night. I read 9 of the series last year, and then The Centenary Collection by Dale. A collection of essays about Sayers herself, by folks who knew her.

I remember. You were one of the ladies that convinced me to give the series another try - you and strider. I think that's right anyhow. Glad I tried a second one. I'm not yet in love but I could be developing an interest that isn't strictly platonic, what?

:)

Finished A Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. I liked it very much- he wasn't duplicitous (unlike the author in The Land of Believers, imho) and has a great sense of humor.

I loved A Year of Living Biblically! Have you read any of his other books? If not, you should check them out. I find him hilarious :)

I just finished reading Infidel. There were parts that were exceptionally hard to read (very graphic about female circumcision), but it definitely taught me a lot.

Really? Maybe I'll skip this book. I don't need to read about that....I know plenty. I hate reading about things I can't change. Makes me feel sad, angry, and helpless.

I finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea this evening. I liked it. I do wish it wrapped up neater. I like tidy endings for fiction.

Robin, does this count for the sci-fi challenge?

F451 is a terrific read. There's an old movie of it too- time warped but fascinating- our library carries it.

Paisley- hope you are doing better!

Ok, I just put A Year if Living Biblically on my wish list, added F451 to my reading list, and bought the first Lord Peter book, Whose Body?, to start reading next.

Profitable post for amazon! :D

Oooh, I adore Laurie R King! [.....snip.....] Sorry if this post seems disjointed. I am on painkillers :D

I thought I should say that I clicked "like" on this post of yours because of your also loving the Mary Russell series, and NOT because you are on painkillers! Just thought I should make that clear. :p Wouldn't want you to think I was enjoying your pain! I also loved Moonstone, by the way, and The Woman in White.

So many favorite books being read! The Lord Peter series and The Year of Living Biblically are favorites of mine, too. I have also read and enjoyed AJ Jacobs book about reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, and started the most recent, Drop Dead Healthy but stopped because I was feeling guilty about being such a sloth by sitting and reading -- it is a book about eating right and exercising and all the related fads.

I just finished my second Inspector Banks mystery, though it is the first in the series, Gallows View. It is a new series I found thanks to this group. I also just finished watching my 3rd Inspector Banks episode on PBS -- another tip from the book-reading hive.

I finished The Hard Way (a Jack Reacher novel) by Lee Child. It was the first Lee Child novel I've read; my dh reads these books & it was here when I was looking for something to read. It's certainly a quick, easy, mindless read. I don't normally read this style book & I'm not the type to try to figure out mysteries ahead of time, but I figured out various parts of this plot ahead of time. It's ok if you're looking for entertainment of the action movie variety....

I've now started The Dud Avocado: Or The Vie Amoureuse of Sally Jay in Paris by Elaine Dundy. It was written in 1958 & has been republished a couple of times. From Newsweek:

Take one zippy, curious, 21-year-old American named Sally Jay, just out of college. Drop her in the middle of Paris' Left Bank. Add an Italian diplomat, an American theatrical director, a couple of painters and a white slave trader. Mix until all bubbles. The result: a delightful few hours of sparkling reading entertainment. Summing up: Froth and frolic.

Just managed to get in this week. Finished The Pages by Murray Bail. I loved his Eucalyptus, but this one was odd and unsatisfying. It started as a modern day allegory of philosophy contrasted with psychology and then it petered out.

So far this year:

1: Mr Briggs' Hat

2: Busman's Honeymoon

3: Notwithstanding

4: Bad Pharma

5: The Pages

I'm listening to Great Tales From English History. I'm not learning a lot, but that's partly because the library only has the middle volume, and it's the period of English history that I'm strongest on. I wish that they had the modern volume. I'm re-reading a PD James at bedtime.

Laura

Ok, I just put A Year if Living Biblically on my wish list, added F451 to my reading list, and bought the first Lord Peter book, Whose Body?, to start reading next.

Profitable post for amazon! :D

Glad to hear that you are getting into Lord Peter. If you don't take to him in Whose Body? it's worth persevering with some of the later novels. He starts off as a 'silly ass' character and gains depth over time.

I'm not a lover of futuristic/sci fi books, but Fahrenheit 451 was very powerful.

Laura

Really? Maybe I'll skip this book. I don't need to read about that....I know plenty. I hate reading about things I can't change. Makes me feel sad, angry, and helpless.

I finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea this evening. I liked it. I do wish it wrapped up neater. I like tidy endings for fiction.

Robin, does this count for the sci-fi challenge?

I don't know if that ever won an sci fi award but who cares.I 'll say yes because it is a bugger of a book to read. I read it out loud to my son and what fun that was...Not! Kudos to you for finishing it. :cheers2:

I'm pleased as punch to still be here. :) As much as I enjoy reading, it tends to get pushed to the back burner as life happens. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it at the top of my priority list this year.

Here's my list for January:

• Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend (2010, Mark Collins Jenkins)
  • Shadow of the Hegemon (2001, Orson Scott Card)
  • Why I Write (2005, George Orwell)
  • The Pillars of the Earth (1989, Ken Follett)
  • Nurture Shock (2009, Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman)
  • Starship Troopers (1959, Robert A. Heinlein)
  • The Johnstown Flood (1968, David McCullough)
  • The Eyre Affair (2001, Jasper Fforde)
  • Hounded (2011, Kevin Hearne)
  • The Great Influenza (2004, John M. Barry)

I don't know if that ever won an sci fi award but who cares.I 'll say yes because it is a bugger of a book to read. I read it out loud to my son and what fun that was...Not! Kudos to you for finishing it. :cheers2:

I liked it for the most part. However, there's a lack of character development for most of the characters. Verne could have gone deeper with the complexity of human feelings, but he seemed to skim the surface instead. I felt cheated with the ending. It's like Verne how no idea how to rescue the men off the submarine so he just skipped it and bluntly ended the story.

It's a new you! I like it.

I'm glad I stuck it out despite my fear of Chunksters. I've got a few books I have to finish for book club then I'm going to jump into the next book.

Yeah, it's a new me. We took family pictures at Thanksgiving, and I could actually stand to look at myself in a couple of the pictures :tongue_smilie:

I'll be ready to dive into # 3 The Dragon Reborn in the next week or so.

I think I will be ready for The Dragon Reborn next week, too, though you read way faster than me. It's funny, that, I was always considered a very fast reader. Still am by my friends. But next to you all, I'm blown out of the water. Maybe I actually put other things ahead of reading now, when I didn't before LOL. In high school if I wasn't talking, I was reading. My junior year I had one of my English teachers move me all around the classroom trying to find a spot where I wouldn't talk to my "neighbor." After the corner by the door surrounded by three of the quietest kids in class didn't work, she put me in the back by the bookshelf...It worked but as I read my way through her bookshelf I didn't listen to her any better :rofl: What are you going to do to a straight A kid though. ;) One of the first books I read off her shelf was The Clan of the Cave Bear. Now I wouldn't want my girls reading that at 16!

Holy cow, I digress! I have 110 pages left to go in The Great Hunt!!. I hope to finish it today.

Oooh, I adore Laurie R King! The entire Mary Russell series is wonderful though I don't enjoy LRK's other series featuring a modern female detective from San Fransisco (who you will encounter in Locked Rooms). LOCK is a book which I think meant to get some cross-over readers to the Kate series which lags behind the Mary Russell books in sales by quite a bit. I was lucky enough to get an advance reader copy last spring of the most recent release, Garment of Shadows, and I was over the moon!

My favorites are Beekeeper's Apprentice and O Jerusalem. Plus The Game. Plus A Monstrous Regiment of Women. Plus ... well, heck, I love most of them! LOL

Sorry if this post seems disjointed. I am on painkillers :D

I'm really surprised by how much I like these, as I'm not a huge fan of mysteries. But Mary is such a great character, and I love the relationship she has with Holmes. I picked up The Beekeeper's Apprentice mostly because I liked the title (I'm a sucker for great titles). I'm also impressed that eight books into the series, the books are still strong and show no signs of either diminishing in quality or increasing in predictability. That doesn't happen often, in my experience. Most long series I've read really start to peter out around the fifth book or so (yes, Laurell K. Hamilton and whomever writes the Sookie Stackhouse books - I *am* looking at you).

I just finished Locked Rooms this morning, and it's going to be tough to resist plunging into the next book right away. :) I did read the excerpt of King's other series they put at the end of the book, but wasn't interested enough to buy one. I might check her other series out if I stumble across one, but I have too many other more compelling books calling to me right now. I'm almost glad to hear they're not as good as the Mary Russell ones, lest my TBR pile attain critical mass.

I finished Homeschooling High School (#8). It was a quick read, but had some useful information.

I picked up 2 more from the library that were on hold, Death Comes to Pemberley and Lies your Teacher Told You. Also, I pre-order the next Flavia de Luce mystery and it showed up in my iPad this week. I must read my library books first!

This week I've been reading These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf (really good read!) and now on to Blue Zones by Dan Buettner, also good so far.

Love Farenheit 451, it is on my list to re-read this year! I'm also an A.J. Jacobs fan... Year of Living Biblically was really enjoyable! I also started but didn't finish (due back at the library!) The Know It All, and what I read of it was good... I'll have to try that one again and I'm also going to put Drop Dead Healthy on my list!! :)

You ladies have such great ideas... I'm with Elinor, this whole series of threads is tending to make Amazon a lot of money, at least from my house!!

I read The Little Prince yesterday because my mom and I were going to a play. I hadn't read it in years, but I enjoyed it. It's shorter than 100 pages, but the ideas are ideas to ponder, so I'm going to count it anyway ;)

I'm almost done with the next Sally Wright book and half-way through an Elisabeth Eliot. I'm going to take a nap now, though.

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish and Perish by Sally S Wright

3. Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright

4. Pursuit and Persuasion by Sally S Wright

5. Out of the Ruins by Sally S Wright

6. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Finally caught back up on this thread! I've been out preparing for, undergoing, and now recouping from surgery. I thought being bed-bound for a few days would give me more time to read but it hasn't turned out that way so far.

I did start on one of my dusty books, Wilkie Collins's The Moonstone . I am about 50 pages in and really enjoying it. I had expected Collins's writing to be a bit dense and long-winded like his buddy Charles Dickens, but that's not the case. The Moonstone is available for free download at BN, Amazon, and Gutenberg.org

Dh is a great Wilkie Collins fan, and keeps moving them over to my bedside table. Tell me if you think The Moonstone is a good choice. And get well soon!

Sometimes reading this thread gives me anxiety... not because of the weekly goal... but because there are SO MANY books that sound so good and I want to read them all! What if I die with an amazon wish list full of books I never got to?? Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

So many books, so little time. :)

I feel the same way!

Completed:

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #12 - "In Cold Pursuit" by Sarah Andrews. (Antarctica setting.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

I adore the "Number One Detective Agency" series! :001_wub:

Finally caught back up on this thread! I've been out preparing for, undergoing, and now recouping from surgery. I thought being bed-bound for a few days would give me more time to read but it hasn't turned out that way so far.

I did start on one of my dusty books, Wilkie Collins's The Moonstone . I am about 50 pages in and really enjoying it. I had expected Collins's writing to be a bit dense and long-winded like his buddy Charles Dickens, but that's not the case. The Moonstone is available for free download at BN, Amazon, and Gutenberg.org

Love "The Moonstone"! I think it's time to re-read it.

I really enjoyed The Year of Living Biblically. I also read his book The Guinea Pig Diaries & really enjoyed it too. I have the Encyclopedia one sitting here -- just haven't read it yet. (It may be one of my 'dusty' books for the challenge this year.)

Oh, I didn't know about The Guinea Pig Diaries! I read and enjoyed all of his books. Or so I thought. ^_^

Sometimes reading this thread gives me anxiety... not because of the weekly goal... but because there are SO MANY books that sound so good and I want to read them all! What if I die with an amazon wish list full of books I never got to?? Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

So many books, so little time. :)

What if you die with an empty Amazon list? That'd be worse!

5) A Walk in the Woods By Bill Bryson This guy can weave a tail. He draws beautiful pictures with words. However, if you were to ask me what I learned from this book I would have to say that the Federal Parks System wastes our money building roads and re-routing roads for no good reason, since the Parks took over more species of animal have decreased in numbers, and the Appalachian Trail is tough. I could have learned that with about 200 fewer pages, lol. He used so many adjectives and dress-ups in his writing that I had to stop myself several times and remind myself what the point to his book was; it wasn't fiction so it wasn't to tell a story, it wasn't autobiographical (technically). It was informative history of the AT interweaved with stories of his time on the trail. I am having a really hard time reading this year. 4) Hannah's Joy by Marta Perry

3) A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

2) Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck

1) His Love Endures Forever by Beth Wiseman

I've finished The Cloud Atlas by Liam Callahnan, (14) A Light Between Two Oceans by M. L. Stedman, (15) and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. (16) I loved Wolf Hall and was happy to find there is a sequel and our library actually has it!

Did you know that Wolf Hall is actually the first of a trilogy?

#1 - Wolf Hall

#2 - Bring Up the Bodies

#3 - The Mirror and the Light (not yet published - I think it's due out this year)

Completed:

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)

Book #15 - "Friends, Lovers, Chocolate" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #14 - "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (Canadian author, English setting.)

Book #13 - "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, German character, German/Swiss/Italian/Ireland/Indian settings.)

Book #11 - "Anna Karenina" by Leo Nikoleyevich Tolstoy. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #10 - "The Sunday Philosophy Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #9 - "The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #8 - "The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #7 - "The Double Comfort Safari Club" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #6 - " Tea Time for the Traditionally Built" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #5 - "Crime and Punishment" by Fydor Dostoevsky. (Russian; or WEM challenge.)

Book #4 - "The Miracle of Speedy Motors" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #3 - "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #2 - "Blue Shoes and Happiness" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Book #1 - "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, African setting)

Dh is a great Wilkie Collins fan, and keeps moving them over to my bedside table. Tell me if you think The Moonstone is a good choice. And get well soon!

I love Wilkie Collins. Moonstone is fantastic but Woman in White cost me two days of my life when I could do nothing but read! I got about half way though and then was committed to finishing it before I slept. :) He does a great mystery.

5) A Walk in the Woods By Bill Bryson This guy can weave a tail. He draws beautiful pictures with words. However, if you were to ask me what I learned from this book I would have to say that the Federal Parks System wastes our money building roads and re-routing roads for no good reason, since the Parks took over more species of animal have decreased in numbers, and the Appalachian Trail is tough. I could have learned that with about 200 fewer pages, lol. He used so many adjectives and dress-ups in his writing that I had to stop myself several times and remind myself what the point to his book was; it wasn't fiction so it wasn't to tell a story, it wasn't autobiographical (technically). It was informative history of the AT interweaved with stories of his time on the trail. I am having a really hard time reading this year. 4) Hannah's Joy by Marta Perry

3) A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck.

2) Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck

1) His Love Endures Forever by Beth Wiseman

I listened to A Walk on the Woods as an audiobook and felt much the same way. I didn't enjoy his tangents about acid rain or how we are destroying the world and felt the book would have been better without those. I'm not saying it's not true - it just seemed really out of place in the book. There were parts that I though this is a fantastic book and other parts when I was thinking that it was a mediocre book.

Completed:

My kids have a lot of outside classes this "semester," can you tell? That, and my three year old is now old enough to somewhat entertain herself while we wait at the various lessons.

Book #18 - "The Careful Use of Compliments" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #17 - "The Right Attitude to Rain" by Alexander McCall Smith. (Zimbabwe born/Scottish author, Scottish setting.)

Book #16 - "Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder" by Shamini Flint. (Singaporean author, Malaysian setting.)