Menu

Book a Week in 2013 - Week three

Robin M

1. The Middle Ages, Dorothy Mills

2. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

3. Life Skills for Kids, Christine Field

4. Happier at Home, Gretchen Rubin

5. The Parent's Guide to Teaching Kids with Asperger Syndrome and similar ASDs Real-life Skills for Independence, Patricia Bashe

6. Social Skills Success for Student's with Autism, Frank Frankel

7. The Story of Europe, H.E. Marshall

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been poking along. Finally finished Switch. Nothing earth shattering but a good way to organize how things/people change.

Just read The 5 Love languages for Children for a MoPS group talk I'm giving Friday- egads that book irritated me. I'm not sure why but it just seems so petty, pedantic and self assured. (harsh or what?!) Where did he come up with these 5 "love languages" anyway? I've got to get excited about it all before Friday!

My reading is slowing down to due my new sock knitting addiction. However, I am reading the Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garica and am on book 3. They are surprisingly good.

http://beautifulcreaturesauthors.com/

Have you tried audio books while knitting? I think this challenge is going to make that my go-go form of entertainment when dh is working late or out of town.

Just finished The Great Gatsby last night, my week two book. While I think The Great Gatsby was a well written book and I understand why it's on the classic list, it fell a little flat for me, which made me disappointed.

This week I think I'm going to read Wicked, but I might read back to back classic with The Portrait of Dorian Grey, because it's a short one and it might help me catch up.

Year to date:

2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (3/5)

1. The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (4/5)

Borges satisfies something deep inside me. I haven't read Hesiod - maybe I should as you like it.

Laura

I read a few more stories last night and I would agree with the sense of deep satisfaction. It is a bit like having one of those really incredible favorite desserts that you always share with someone else, because the three or four bites you get are absolutely amazing, a truly sensual experience. If you ate more, you would be overwhelmed or not feel well.

Most of what I have read in the A Day's Read lecture series has that feel to it. It has been over 25 years since I read Faulkner and while I have several of his novels in my bookcase, I could no longer remember why. After I read his short story, "Black Pantaloon," the reason for the infatuation in college came flooding back: richness, depth, and the feeling that there is a miracle happening in the middle of muck. Seize the Day by Bellow and A Simple Heart by Flaubert are like that too.

My appreciation for Hesiod comes from a different place. Theogony is, I believe, the oldest and most complete work we have with regards to ancient Greek creation stories. It is the well that other classical writers went to. On the other hand, Works and Days is interesting in the personae that the bard adopts. When I read The Iliad, I don't often think about the bards that originally performed the epic. but with Works and Days, the bard is very much there with you. Homer, is watching the Royal Shakespearean Company on stage; Hesiod is my somewhat red-neck brother-in-law, at a family picnic, telling my son how to deal with a military recruiter and how to survive boot camp. The material is always amusing and sometimes, slightly varnished. ;)

ETA: Just re-read post. Someone shoot my adjectives and put them out of their misery, please.

This week I think I'm going to read Wicked, but I might read back to back classic with The Portrait of Dorian Grey, because it's a short one and it might help me catch up.

If you do end up reading Wicked, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I listened to about 4 hours on audiobook and gave it up. Too dark for me and a slow mover. Wondering if I should have stuck it out.

This week, I also dropped Simplicity Parenting. I don't think it really applies to my family but I was still slogging through it; however, I ran out of renewals at the library so I took it as a sign and abandoned it.

This week, I finished one and started three:

Finished

The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren - This read-aloud started out slow but definitely improved. Very sweet and charming. DD enjoyed it. A caveat to those who may read it to younger kids: it does say that Santa isn't real. DD has been on the fence about Santa, so this was a downer for me. She was reading along with me so I couldn't just skip those sentences. Thanks, Astrid. :glare:

Started

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews - This is another Canadian author. The novel is about a 16yo Mennonite whose mother and sister have left the community. She is left with a negligent, though loving father. So far it's OK. The lack of quotation marks for dialogue is really bugging me for some reason.

The Four-Story Mistake by Elizabeth Enright - Our new read-aloud; second of The Saturdays series. We're only one chapter in, but it promises to be another winner.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain - Started listening to this on audio on the way to work this morning.

Finished This Year:

4. The Children of Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren

3. The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright

2. Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill (Canada for the Continents Challenge)

1. A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison

Could someone please send me a child to read to, preferably one that likes Rosemary Sutcliff, Susan Cooper, or Lloyd Alexander? Sailor Dude says he misses being read to, but choosing a book that pleases him is akin to getting a root canal. I could throw in a science lab or two.

Can you tell that I miss homeschooling, even high schoolers. The cats do too.

I always feel so inadequate looking at all of your reading lists. I finally finished my first book, Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilley Giff. The big kids and I read this to go with history. It is about a 12 year old girl trying to help her family survive the Great Hunger of 1845 to 1852 in Ireland.

I'm in the middle of reading Face the Winter Naked by Bonnie Turner. This was a free Kindle book. It is about a WWI vet and his struggles with PTSD and the Great Depression.

I finished Book 4 last night: Pursuit and Persuasion by Sally S Wright. So very good. I'm going to start the next one: Out of the Ruins.

Book Reviews

1. The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great by Benjamin Merkle

2. Publish and Perish by Sally S Wright

3. Pride and Predator by Sally S Wright

4. Pursuit and Persuasion by Sally S Wright

Sailor Dude says he misses being read to, but choosing a book that pleases him is akin to getting a root canal.

How about Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything: Special Illustrated Edition

or Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character) ?

Can you tell that I miss homeschooling, even high schoolers. The cats do too.

My sympathies to you and the cats.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm slowly reading through the unaridged version of Les Miserables along with two other books. I've not been reading as much, but plan to rectify that this week. I am nearly finished one, though.

. Berton's American Invasion of Canada is a treasure - the writing is delightful and engaging, Berton does an admirable job portraying the main players in 3-d, and the blend of detail and overview was very satisfying. It covers only the first year-ish of the war, so I am very tempted to track down the next volume... though I'm not sure I am up for reading a well written depiction of Tecumseh's death and all that led up to it....

Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Leacock. dd#2 read this several years ago and I have been meaning to ever since.. dusty and Canadian.

It's worth reading the entire Canadian perspective on the War of 1812 if you haven't before; it's one of those wars where both sides are convinced that they won.

I've been wracking my brain and still can't remember whether or not I've read Sunshine Sketches of Little Town. I remember it being at home and looking at it with the intent of reading it, and even have a vague recollection of starting it, but there are so many books I've forgotten that I read because I read do much and simply moved onto the next book. I reread The Good Eart. a few years ago, and it took awhile before I remembered reading it. I'd always remembered a few of the scenes, but not which book they came from.

I will have to pop over & see the video. I have Berton's book Klondike sitting here to be read. As always,

This reminds me of when my mother dressed up as Klondike Kate for a halloween party once. My mother lived in Whitehorse (southeast of the Klondike) for a while, and her parents lived there for at least 15 years, I think. (Whitehorse, not the Klondike). Do you know that even though my dad loves Berton and has probably read all of his books, I have yet to read one? I still remember when The Last Spike was lying around when he was reading it. The main reason BC finally chose to become part of the confederation was because they were finally going to get a Canadian transcontinental railroad.

I am supposed to be reading Babylon Mesopotamia and The Birth of Civilization but I am having such a difficult time getting into it. It is relatively interesting but nonfiction just doesn't grab me, even if it is something I am interested in reading. In the meantime I finished two quick reads over the past couple of days.

The first is Agenda 21, a dystopian novel published by Glenn Beck but written by Harriett Parke. I found this book to be an interesting story that kept me engaged with the characters. In the beginning I rolled my eyes a few times as some topics felt a bit forced and added into the story just to make a political statement not to further the story. As I kept reading I didn't notice it as much, most likely because I was so engaged with the characters. It was definitely interesting to read a dystopian novel where the great evil is government after reading Atwood where the great evil seems to be corporations and greed. This book was definitely shallow when you compare it to Atwood but all in all a good story. If you like dystopian lit I recommend you give it a try, just be forewarned that the book is meant to make a political statement and there as an afterword dedicated to the evil's of the UN's Agenda 21.

The second book I read was Time Untime. Ugh. This book was awful. The author attempted to make cross cultural connections in regards to religion, mythology, and legends tied together in an effort to save the world by 12/21 but IMO she failed. The connections were very shallow, perhaps you need to read the other books in the series. There were some scenes that were meant to be steamy and romantic but I found them to be very cheesey. All in all, I do not recommend this book unless you want a very shallow read with some steamy cheesiness.

For this week I am going to keep plugging along, a page at a time, the book about Babylon I mentioned. I will probably also read The 13th Tribe, something I found while browsing at the library. I am also reading The Hobbit to my oldest as a read aloud and working on an audiobook. Happy reading everyone!

5. Time Untime, Sherrilyn Kenyon * and a half

4. Agenda 21, Glenn Beck & Harriett Parke ***

3. The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald, Dusty *****

2. The Hard Way, Lee Childs (Audiobook) **

1. Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood, Continental - Canada ****

1. The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson is the first in a new series of mysteries that start with the premise that a law firm has established offices at 221 B Baker Street. They of course get lots of letters addressed to Sherlock Holmes, and this book is about what ensues when someone decides to answer a letter in person. It is lighthearted fun, and I was going to dismiss it as pure fluff, but it actually was a very smart mystery. I will search out some of the others (there may be just 2 so far...)

I'll join the chorus of people saying these books look great! I just got the Complete Sherlock Holmes for my Kindle, so I think I'll read those first, and then read Baker Street Letters later in the year.

Heather, I also *adore* Sarah Addison Allen... I've read all of her books and they are wonderful!

Today I'm going to finish A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans. I am *loving* this book. It has a lot of good spiritual insight, but also thoughts on relationships, the sisterhood of women, and our response to problems in the world. She comes from a Protestant viewpoint (moving from conservative to slightly more liberal) but I think others would still get something out of it. I would recommend the book for anyone seeking a good spiritual read.

Here's my list to date:

• Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
  • All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
  • The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine
  • Marmee & Louisa: The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother by Eve LaPlante
  • Elsewhere: A Memoir by Richard Russo

This week I finished All Quiet on the Western Front. I liked that SO much better than Red Badge of Courage! Clockwork Angel, Gone Girl and Clockwork Prince were totally for fun. I liked them all.

This week I'm reading The Lace Reader: A Novel by Brunonia Barry for my February book club.

I always feel so inadequate looking at all of your reading lists.

I'm there with you!

I finished Nurture Shock. An interesting read but I find reading nonfiction like taking a walk on the dunes when you are seriously out of shape (ask me how I know ;) ). I'm cursing myself for buying so many self-help/non-fiction books. Fiction, fiction. I need fiction!

I'm there with you!

I finished Nurture Shock. An interesting read but I find reading nonfiction like taking a walk on the dunes when you are seriously out of shape (ask me how I know ;) ). I'm cursing myself for buying so many self-help/non-fiction books. Fiction, fiction. I need fiction!

I'm a fiction girl myself. I actually thought I was going to read a 500+ page book on Stalin, Lenin, and Hitler before it was due back to the library...but I keep trying to doze off while reading it.

I finished The Genius in All of Us. It's divided into two parts (well, three if you count the end notes). The first is the science, and I loved this part. I should say that I am already biased to the premise, so I was not the most critical of readers. But, it was well written and documented. The second was more self-help/advice, and less my cup of tea, although still good, a bit of a letdown to me after loving the first part so much. The one I read was a library book and I plan to get it as a read aloud at some point.

It was book #3 and a 2nd in my new to me author category of my 5/5/5. I suspect I will finish the Aeneid tonight - 2 chapters left and I've gathered some steam :-).

I just finished my 5th book of the year 4th book for the 52 book challenge.

1. The Hobbit

2. Clash of King by George R.R. Martin

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

4. The Centaurian's Wife by Davis Bunn

Up next is The Princess and The Gobline by George McDonald

Last week I finished:

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (5/5/5 chunky)

Swinging on a Star by Janice Turner

It Had to Be You by Janice Turner

Dark Will Linger - a novel-length, HP fan-fic by Hippothestrowl

This week I'm reading:

Animal Farm by George Orwell (finished Sunday)

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Handmaid's Tale (CW Canada, 5/5/5 comfort zone)

Anne of Green Gables (CW Canada)

Beowulf (WEM poetry)

Still waiting for DH to fix my audio version of Dragonfly in Amber. :glare:

Week 2 blog post

My reading is going very slowly but I am enjoying it as much as ever. I would welcome any suggestions on just how to carve out reading time in a busy household.

Last week I finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. It was a fun quick read. I loved the visual description of Ichabod, it made all the illustrations seem less over-the-top.

Still reading: The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Moby Dick or the White Whale by Herman Melville (ch. 25)

I also wanted to add my appreciation for this thread and a high five to the Borges readers. I need to add a re-read to my to read list.

I finished my third book yesterday. It was enjoyable although I had only read 4 or 5 of the best sellers he was talking about. It was especially good if one is trying to write fiction.

52 Books 2013

1. Betrayal by Danielle Steel

2. In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

3. Hit Lit: Cracking the Code of the 20th Century's Biggest Bestsellers by James W. Hall

I'll join the chorus of people saying these books look great! I just got the Complete Sherlock Holmes for my Kindle, so I think I'll read those first, and then read Baker Street Letters later in the year.

Oh the pressure, having so many of you want to read Baker Street Letters! I hope it isn't a huge disappointment!!

Here's my list to date:

• Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
  • All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
  • The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had by Kristin Levine
  • Marmee & Louisa: The Untold Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Mother by Eve LaPlante
  • Elsewhere: A Memoir by Richard Russo

This week I finished All Quiet on the Western Front. I liked that SO much better than Red Badge of Courage! Clockwork Angel, Gone Girl and Clockwork Prince were totally for fun. I liked them all.

This week I'm reading The Lace Reader: A Novel by Brunonia Barry for my February book club.

I describe All Quiet as one of my favorite books that I hated to read. It's so sad and yet such a compelling read. I loved it. I hated it. I want to make sure that all my children read it. I wish it was required reading for anyone with any political power.

I describe All Quiet as one of my favorite books that I hated to read. It's so sad and yet such a compelling read. I loved it. I hated it. I want to make sure that all my children read it. I wish it was required reading for anyone with any political power.

It is a favorite here. As far as The Red Badge of Courage goes, one of my kids said, "Yes Mom, I get all of the literary reasons it is a classic, but you will never get me to like it." That child thought All Quiet was, "Just brilliant."

1.) Getting Things Done by David Allen

2.) Switch by Chip and Dan Heath (finishing up)

3.) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern(starting this week)

This is definitely a challenge for me. Internet/facebook/iphone reading has really changed my brain muscle. It feels good to exercise it again. :D

Finished A Year of Biblical Womanhood. I really did enjoy this one.

I'm changing my challenges just a bit, I think. I wanted to do several, but really, that just won't leave as much time as I'd like for reading whatever the heck I please or following rabbit trails of my own making. :)

So, I'm ditching the CS Lewis challenge and the Inspiration challenge, and just folding Spiritual/Inspirational/Religious into my 5/5/5. Here are the new categories: Spiritual, Health, Amish novels, Classics, and Dystopia. And I'm keeping a separate Cozy Mysteries challenge from another site.

How can a small book about fishing written with the vocabulary of a fifth grader be achingly beautiful?

Why has it taken me nearly half a century to decide to read Old Man and the Sea?

I don't know the answer to your questions, but thanks to them, I have another book to add to my list. ;)

I already had one Hemingway book slated, so why not one more?

How can a small book about fishing written with the vocabulary of a fifth grader be achingly beautiful?

Why has it taken me nearly half a century to decide to read Old Man and the Sea?

I am a Hemingway fan but this is not one of my favorites. That said,I love another of his fishing works, the short story in two parts, Big Two Hearted River. The weary soldier returns from war and finds himself again by trout fishing.

Hmmm..maybe I was too young when I read the Old Man and the Sea. I suspect I might feel differently about the book today. On my list it goes...

It is a favorite here. As far as The Red Badge of Courage goes, one of my kids said, "Yes Mom, I get all of the literary reasons it is a classic, but you will never get me to like it." That child thought All Quiet was, "Just brilliant."

Red Badge of Courage is definitely my least favorite classic. I detested that book when we read it in school. I may like it better now, but I'm not planning to find out!

I've already lost track of which books were finished in what week, so I'll just post the list so far:

1. A Cupboard Full of Coats - Yvette Edwards
  2. Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - Jeannette Winterson
  3. Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
  4. Bent Road - Lori Roy
  5. The Hidden Gallery (Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #2) - Maryrose Wood
  6. Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel

I just finished Wolf Hall this morning, and it is my favorite of the year so far. Very rich, engaging writing and Mantel brought new life to history I thought I was already very familiar with. I also like that she doesn't take the traditional Cromwell-as-evil-manipulator approach that is common in many books and films about Henry VIII. I'm torn between diving into Bringing Up the Bodies (the second in the trilogy) right away, or waiting a while as the third book in the trilogy is still being written.

I'm currently reading the third book of the Incorrigible Children series aloud to ds - still silly and charming. I found out yesterday that the author will be appearing at the Hudson Children's Book Festival in May, just before the release of the fourth book, and we're going to try and make it there. This is the first time DS has been truly excited about an author, and I want to make the most of it. For myself, I'm not really sure what to read next. I think I want something lighter after Wolf Hall (so many characters to keep track of!) so I may pick up the next of Laurie R. King's Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series. Or I may force myself to buckle down and finish the collection of Jonathan Carroll's short stories I've been reading for what seems like forever. Or I may reread something - this thread tempts me in so many different directions and it's wonderful. I am a very content bibliophile.

I finished The Paris Wife, and really enjoyed it. I actually teared up near the end. While it gave me a different view of Hemmingway and made him much more human, I still don't like his writing. It did kind of make me want to read/re-read some of the other Lost Generation writers though.

Abandoned: Do You? - A poetry collection that seems as though it was written by a high school student who thinks she's being profound. Are there any good 21st century poets?

Next: Another library loan (Kindle version) came in, so it will be next. One False Move, by Harlen Coben, is the next book in the Myron Bolitar series I've been reading.

I have to issue a review of File DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t Pile by Pat Dorff, well more of a warning than a review. If you are the type of person that likes to be organized or the type of person that loves to read organization books you might look at this book and think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a book youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to read. DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. She has the most complicated cumbersome silly filing system IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve ever seen. If you are still clipping every good story, interesting quote, or easy to make recipe you come across in a magazine or the newspaper then this might be a good system for you. Or if you are living in a time period that doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have the internet then it would be handy to use her system. Everyone else should skip this book.

Finished The Unwritten by Mike Carey Ă¢â‚¬â€œ ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a graphic novel that DH read and loved. Interesting story line, tons of fantastic literary references, good art. I will add a warning that there is graphic violence in there that I found to be disturbing so I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be reading anymore of the series. A caveat to that is I have the sensitivity of a little old church lady to violence so YMMV.

In Progress:

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin (for ladies book club)

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (audiobook)

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry (read aloud)

2013 finished books:

4. The Unwritten by Mike Carey (****)

3. The Postmortal by Drew Magary (**)

2. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (*****)

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (***)

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

I finished The Paris Wife, and really enjoyed it. I actually teared up near the end. While it gave me a different view of Hemmingway and made him much more human, I still don't like his writing. It did kind of make me want to read/re-read some of the other Lost Generation writers though.

Abandoned: Do You? - A poetry collection that seems as though it was written by a high school student who thinks she's being profound. Are there any good 21st century poets?

Next: Another library loan (Kindle version) came in, so it will be next. One False Move, by Harlen Coben, is the next book in the Myron Bolitar series I've been reading.

Have you tried reading Alexie Sherman's Face? I thought it was pretty wonderful. It's not a G-rated book though.

I finished Happier at Home last night and it was ok. I like the idea of the book, but I was dissatisfied with it when I finished.

Oh no. That's next on my reading list. Did you like The Happiness Project?

Just finished another book from my stack of literary junk ~ No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper. This book is set, with the exception of the prologue, in Victorian era England. It's a historical, time travelling, paranormal romance. It won a lot of awards

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢Library Journal Best Book of the Year

Ă¢â‚¬Â¢RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellence and Finalist for Best Book of the Year

and I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't count it amongst my favorites.

Regards,

Kareni

Borges satisfies something deep inside me. I haven't read Hesiod - maybe I should as you like it. Laura

I am really curious about Borges. Could a fan try to describe what his writing and content are like? I need an excuse to tick off the grumpy circulation librarian who thinks our family checks out an excessive number of books. One more might just push her over the edge. ;)