Menu

Why do so many kids have big guts these days?

The obesity rates in children are actually finally going down.

I'm not trying topick a fight so please take this the way it's intended, my reading sugest the obesity rate has leveled but not gone down. Do yourecall what source is leading you to beleive the rate is coming down?

Thanks,

Night Elf, perhaps if you give us an example of your children's typical daily intake and activity level, we could help out a little.

The activity level definitely needs some work. Part of my son's problem is that he doesn't like being outside. He gets the heebie jeebies at flying "things". We purchased a treadmill not too long ago and have been trying to get into a routine. So far, the kids have been walking about 3 times per week, but only a mile at a time. It's better than the zero activity we had, but I'd sure like to ramp that up a bit.

Nutrition wise, the kids are different in their likes and dislikes.

Jeffrey, my Aspie, is a carbo nut. We've been working on that. His sensory issues really affect his food choices. I have transitioned him from eating lots of bread, crackers, and sugar cereal, to a healthier cereal and fresh fruit. He won't eat anything that is mixed or blended, not even fruit smoothies, so I can't even hide good stuff in food. He'll eat some cooked veggies but hasn't yet taken to raw veggies. He also loves chicken and pork. He doesn't care for other types of meat really. He won't do warm cereals like oatmeal. He doesn't like white rice but will eat chinese fried rice. He doesn't like potatoes but will eat one specific flavor of one brand of pasta. To be honest, despite his lack of movement, I can't understand why he's had such a large increase in weight over the last 6 months. He's not eating as much as he used to because I tossed many of his favorite foods. According to an ideal body weight calculator for children I found online, he's about 27 lbs. overweight. In the past 6 months, he's gained over 15 lbs. My DH thinks it's just a growth spurt, especially because our son is entering puberty.

Allie, otoh, is more of a healthier eater. She loves fruit, raw veggies (not cooked at all), salads, lean meats, cheese, and yoghurt. She doesn't eat much bread, doesn't like cereal or crackers, but will sometimes eat pretzels or goldfish as a snack. She is a HUGE candy eater though and I have to keep an eye on her. She'd eat large amounts of candy if she could, so I am very careful of what I bring into the house. We even lessened the amount of candy at Christmas and Easter. She's more active as she likes to go out and walk the dog alot. She dances in her room to music. According to online calculator, she's about 15 lbs. overweight.

I did talk to Weight Watchers about kids. The lady I spoke with said they prefer to work with a pediatrician. Our pediatrician didn't like the idea of using Weight Watchers. Even though they advertise it's not a diet, he's worried the association of WW being for overweight people will cause my children to start crazy dieting. Instead, he prefers I don't use the terms diet or fat at all. Just let them be and they'll grow into their weight. When I asked what do I do if they continue gaining weight, his response was that they shouldn't if they eat only healthy foods. I'm not sure I understand that, but my appt. was over.

Ouch, some kids and people are heavier because they have lower metabolisms.

We do need to be sensitive about this. I do think our diet and addiction to media contribute to the number of overweight children. However, i have met some who simply are built differently.

There are people like Mrs. Devoted Mom whom I had the priviledge of meeting at a gymnastics class a few years ago. She had a daughter who was beautiful and gifted and overweight. The child took gymnastics 3 times a week and played soccer and was at the playground every day. She took her child to doctors and naturopaths and had her tested for food sensitivities and metabolic disorders, and anything else they could think of. At the same time, she was wise enough not to make a big deal out of it all because maybe, just maybe, her daughter was meant to be big. I don't know if anything was resolved, but a year ago I ran into them at a piano recital. The child was still large, but very pretty and well dressed. She played piano beautifully :001_smile:

After EVERY event kids are fed these junk foods that I refuse to have in my house. Most of the Little League parents here think that their kids need Gatorade so as not to dehydrate during a baseball game. Grrrr . . . . Plus, my boys each receive a $2 ticket after each game to spend at the concession stand. It's full of candy and pizza and hot dogs and soda. This year they did add juices (100% fruit!). My kids are forbidden from buying candy/soda except on Saturdays where they can get one candy item. But I'm not happy about the hot dogs and pizza either!

That said, I have one child who tends to be "thicker" in the middle. He's not fat (he doesn't need husky pants or anything), but just built much differently than the rest of his siblings who are rail thin. Interestingly enough, he's also the one who is the most active. So, I do think that genetics plays a role sometimes as well.

I really don't think it is all in the food they eat as much as I think it is the lack of activity. I don't know what you all did as a kid, but when I was a kid - we ate a lot of candy, drank soda, etc. I played softball for the sole purpase of getting ice cream after every game. Room parties were alwasy a junk food fest. That was the fun part of it. Eating cookies, cupcakes, candy, etc. In junior high and high school, I ate pizza, fries, big chocolate chip cookie and chocolate milk nearly every day. I only had one friend that was heavy. I believe we moved more, walked more places, etc. As a teenager and young adult I was around 100lbs.

My two oldest kids are really tall and always veer towards being heavy. I really believe it was because of lack of activity in Florida. My ds is 19 and has lost 50lbs since moving to SC. He needed to lose it to join the military. Mostly he lost it by jumping on the trampoline, swimming and jogging. My dd who is 9 broke her ankle the week we moved here, had two surgeries and is finally recovered. In the last two weeks, she has been swimming daily and I can already see weight loss. My youngest does't really eat and moves like the energizer bunny. He is rail thin.

All this to say, that I don't think sweets and treats are completely evil. The key is moderation (think Valentine's Party, etc) and daily exercise.

I just am constantly noticing how big guts are on all ages of kids these days. What is causing this?

Anyone else notice it or have a child that struggles with it?

poor diets and to much soda. I mean really I only remember drinking soda at bbq's and we didn't eat fast food but once every few months. "playing" on video games i.e. basketball, skateboard etc instead of actually going outside and playing with real people and real balls etc. Just my theory.

I make at least 95% of our food from scratch. My kids get no TV, no fast food, and are required to play outside 2 hours a day.

Guess what. The three older ones all had a nice new gut this Spring. We call it a Dunlap, 'cause your gut done lapped over your belt.

Two months later, they are all looking pretty good and fit. Here is what we changed.

The 2 hours of outside play must be in the pool. It's too hot here to bike or run now. They get unlimited nuts, cheese, fruit, and veggies, eggs and meat, but only one carby food each day.

If they have oatmeal for breakfast, they can't have grilled cheese for lunch. If they have a bowl of ice cream for a snack, they can't have pizza for dinner.

I keep nuts in the freezer, and salad in the fridge at all times. I can't believe how quick and painless the transition has been.

Now, if only I could apply the same principles to my own diet and lose my own Dunlap.

I'm overweight, but I'm also a great example for activity. I teach swimming and put in a lot lap swimming time. I do a general gym workout twice a week (35 minutes cardio and 40 minutes weights). I'll add a workout at the gym when one of my children has a class, even if I can only get 20 minutes. I walk with my neighbors too. I found out part of my problem is hypothyroid, but in 4 years my doctor and I haven't got a handle on this. But my kids know how much I work on this.

My children are not overweight, but with my oldest we are fighting it all the way. He has hypotonia. He has coordination issues. Any sport is a terrible struggle. Gosh, he even runs funny. He has allergy issues and can't handle heat. He has sensory integration problems. For a long time and some still SI keeps him from having a good sense of being full, although he's starting to develop this. At 13 he is 5'9" and somewhere over 150. This is the size he needs to be fully grown. But at 13 he'd be better off skinny. I don't tell him this. He is required to attend a group gym class once a week and he works out with a personal trainer once a week. He also walks a weekly paper route. Exercise is extremely difficult for this child. I try to help him learn to control his diet and eating. It is a constant struggle for him to eat right and you cannot say I should have total control over him eating right. If you don't live with a child with unique issues you will never know. I could see him being horribly overweight, but he's not. I'm sure there other kids like him who look normal and so people think there is no reason for them to be overweight.

My other 2 kids are in great shape. One of them is in way too many activities and is always headed out to play.

In general our society eats more junk, and kids don't walk or ride there bikes anywhere. Honestly, you read on this board about some families won't let a young teen walk or ride a bike somewhere. I know everyone has personal decisions to make, but add it up if noone is allowing their kids to transport themselves then kids aren't moving. I think the thing to do is to model self propelled transport constantly and teach the children safety skills. I think children feel confident with independence and they really develop good sense about situations.

If your child is overweight, you can't go on much of a diet. You can improve your whole family's diet, by not eating processed foods and drinking water. Try shopping what's typically the outside aisles in the grocery: fresh fruit and veggies, lean meats and frozen veggies. You can get all or most of your necessary carbs from veggies and fruits. You have to cook food. You cannot eat from a box or can if you do this. You could add brown rice and beans to this. If you use a slow cooker and a pressure cooker for some of your cooking, making food yourself does not take a lot of your time.

I make at least 95% of our food from scratch. My kids get no TV, no fast food, and are required to play outside 2 hours a day.

Guess what. The three older ones all had a nice new gut this Spring. We call it a Dunlap, 'cause your gut done lapped over your belt.

Two months later, they are all looking pretty good and fit. Here is what we changed.

The 2 hours of outside play must be in the pool. It's too hot here to bike or run now. They get unlimited nuts, cheese, fruit, and veggies, eggs and meat, but only one carby food each day.

If they have oatmeal for breakfast, they can't have grilled cheese for lunch. If they have a bowl of ice cream for a snack, they can't have pizza for dinner.

I keep nuts in the freezer, and salad in the fridge at all times. I can't believe how quick and painless the transition has been.

I figured out years ago that when kids are hungry they eat what is fastest and quickest so I keep cut up veggies and fruit out at all times and keep healthy snacks in fridge and pantry. I had the mentality that kids need "kid food". I changed that thinking quickly....

Four kids... all different.

My oldest used to be a size slim -- he's now more average, but since he's started exercising daily, he's losing his gut. He's been a brick since he was born. Always in the high percentiles for height and weight, but a brick (heavy but thin). At 8yo, we're just really trying to keep him active. Little League isn't a very active game:tongue_smilie:. Our Wii Fit arrived today -- guess who's jogging with mommy tomorrow!

My oldest daughter was born a chunk, but has really started slimming down since it's become difficult for her to chew. She just nibbles, and it takes FOREVER for her to eat anything that isn't ice cream or yogurt. I'm hoping that's all it is -- because she's the one that internalizes everything (she asks me things like... I ate X today -- will that give me a heart attack like grandma's brother?)... She's the one that is an eating disorder waiting to happen. So we have to be VERY careful about anything we say to her about weight. BTW, she is a beautiful girl, long brown hair and big brown eyes -- and you can already SEE that she is meant to be a curvy woman. She's growing into a petite (projected to be about 5'1"), but in the 70th percentile for weight. She will struggle with weight her entire life.

My younger son is a rail. No meat on the child. He's 4, do I really need to worry about his "gut?" He's the one who doesn't stop and cheers when he gets raw broccoli and ranch dip.

My younger daughter is a rail. Just the opposite of her big sister. 90th percentile for height and 35th for weight. She "looks" petite, but if her measurements are right, she's headed to be a 5'9 waif.

We have developed (and always revise) our house rules.

Eating in is a real challenge, because we have a toaster and a microwave, and limited access to a full kitchen.

My children eat 5-6 times a day. They have free reign with raw veggies and raw fruits. I don't even care if they're munching on them 15 min. before dinner.

They eat breakfast #1 around 7am. breakfast #2 at around 9am (usually yogurt and fruit) Lunch around 11:30am. Snack (cheese & crackers, graham crackers and milk) around 2:30pm. Dinner at 5:00pm. Usually a snack at dinner. Sometimes it's fat free frozen yogurt, a smoothie, popcorn. My kids are also juice addicts. We've started a NEW rule, which is water FIRST. They can have a cup of juice IF they drink a cup of water FIRST. Usually, they don't make it to the juice , and don't ask for it. :D

Our family's biggest issue has been activity. They're now going out (when it's not raining) twice a day (once around 10:00am, and once around 2:30), we've also started family swim on the weekends (the children are also taking swim lessons). The Wii Fit will be used in the morning as a part of our morning school routine.

It's not a lot -- but it's something. I can't completely get away from processed foods without the kitchen, and my time-crunched schedule, but I can ensure that the children get more active time, and that my dh and I are better examples in that area.

I think that the reasons are obvious (more sedentary life style, more access to higher calorie foods), but to be completely honest with everyone in this thread, I think that sitting around making negative observations about others just for the sake of conversation is rude. I really do. Don't think for a minute that your kids won't pick up on this attitude and walk up to another kid and say something straight to his face about being fat. Do you really want to teach your kids to observe and think and talk about people in this manner?

I say take care of your own kids and don't worry about anyone else's, and try to teach your kids to not make judgements based on appearance.

JMO, of course.

You know Camy, Calvin doesn't have that air of energy and radiance. He really doesn't. His body just doesn't work that way, despite good nutrition, a mile run a day, and tons of time spent playing outside with friends. His cheeks glow after the run, but the rest of the time he looks like the bookworm he is: pale and soft of movement.

Laura

I havent read the entire thread, but the reason kids are fat is because of high fructose corn syrup, video games and no exercise. Pretty simple.

If you kids are fat, stop feeding them crap, take away the video games and either enroll them in a sport of walk for one hour daily...pretty simple yes?

I'm sorry, but this is a very condascending response.

My dd was skinny minny until she developed asthma and steroids caused her to gain weight, just like Night Elf. It has been difficult to deal with, but calorie reduction triggers migraines in my dd and we have been advised by a doctor to not worry about it, to let her height grow into her weight. My dd is strugling with a negative image of herself because she is not as thin as her friends, so this is a painful reality to live with that is a lot more complicated than a flippant "quit feeding them crap and making them exercise an hour a day". I sure wish I had a nickle for every person like you who has looked at her and shook their head as though thinking "tsk tsk" or for every kid who, obviously lacking basic manners traning, looked dd in the eye and said something about her weight.

To Night Elf: I understand what you're going through. What has helped us the most is cutting back a little on portion size, and tracking fat gram consumption (there are many reasons why this is the best way to go... if you keep fat gram consumption steady and limited throughout the day and don't restrict eating as long as the fat grams stay within range, it is a much easier way for a child to "diet") . You can do this in very small amounts bu it adds up over time and it will result in their maintaining their weight so that their height can catch up. Of course increasing activity helps, but that's kind of tough with an asthmatic child, isn't it? My dd is just now starting to outgrow her asthma and migraines, and we have tried numerous sports... all of them have triggered asthma and bronchitis (we just tried swimming again this year and had to drop it because chlorine is a big trigger for dd). We are trying tennis now and so far so good... so I would say just keep trying till you find something they enjoy doing for cardiovascular fitness. Also, dd is starting to grow into her weight, and she looks better every year. You can find a child's height and weight chart on line and see at what age your child would have to be for their weight to be in the normal/healthy range. That is how long you need to give this... losing weight is difficult and sometimes dangerous for children... maintaining it really is the better way to go. SEt the goal based on the chart, use a program like Sparkpeople to track fat consumption, and keep trying things for activity until you find *something* they can do without triggering an asthma attack... skate park? basetball hoop? DDR? Wii Fit?

Good luck!

Robin

P.S. Beth... for your son who has gained so much weight in the last six months, of course if you are really worried, you can talk to your Dr., but I've been told (and it's turned out true for us) that sometimes children will gain weight before a growth spurt. Some kids grow tall and skinny and then fill out, some kids grow "out" first and then "up" and will thin out after the upward growth.

But you might want to check with the dr. if you're truly concerned.

Good luck,

Robin

I have a child that has a low metabolism. [\quote]

Have you checked her thyroid? My thyroid function was low for YEARS, and I didn't know it, until I developed nodules, then cancer. I had the thyroid (what was left of it) taken out. Now I'm on medication for the rest of my life, but my energy level is reliable and my bloodoword right on target. Low thyroid function could be the culprit in some cases. HTH.

I think that the reasons are obvious (more sedentary life style, more access to higher calorie foods), but to be completely honest with everyone in this thread, I think that sitting around making negative observations about others just for the sake of conversation is rude. I really do. Don't think for a minute that your kids won't pick up on this attitude and walk up to another kid and say something straight to his face about being fat. Do you really want to teach your kids to observe and think and talk about people in this manner?

I say take care of your own kids and don't worry about anyone else's, and try to teach your kids to not make judgements based on appearance.

JMO, of course.

:iagree:

Oh, Robin, I would never want you to think I was being judgementally cruel...not my Southern Rock Friend!!!

I re-read my original post, and it did sound harsh. The reason for this is that I do get angry and upset when I perceive this situation of kids who could be living life to the full. It is also clear to me that these situations are a lot more complex than can be discussed here. There are many dynamics.

That's all. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone here.

(Note to self: "Camy, that's what you get when you post before you pray. You know how idiotic you end up sounding. So, again, Camy, pray before you post.")

Blessings,

Camy

I have two overweight kids.

My son was very thin as a toddler and I gave him pediasure to supplement. Then when he was 8, he was on a medication that made him gain 20 pounds in just a month. He has never lost that or grown into it. Recently he's growing UP a lot, but unfortunately seems to be growing out a good bit too :(

My daughter was thin until we thought she was gaining weight last spring/summer. Turns out it was fluid...that her kidneys weren't functioning. She lost A LOT of weight within the first week of treatment, then blew up a good 40 pounds on that same treatment <sigh>.

We have been losing weight steadily for 2 weeks though (wii fit). We are very active otherwise (playing hard, trampoline, daily walks, exercise programs). Seems that having something new is helping....for how long? I'm hoping for the long haul. We eat decently most of the time also. Ocassionally, we go out to eat or whatever, but on a day to day basis, we eat normal sized, fairly healthy meals.

I'm quite overweight, hubby is a little so. My daughter may have to struggle with it some now. I kinda think my son might get off the hook when testosterone kicks in. We'll see...

Specifically, however, lots of adults and children carry weight because of particular medical reasons, not necessarily related to diet or activity.

I didn't see anyone's specific medical issue so please don't be offended....

but can't many medical issues become excuses rather than just reasons that particular child or family has additional obstacles?

This is what I fear in my own home. I don't want it to be, "well, these medical treatments caused 20 and 40 pounds gains and so they'll just be overweight." Instead, I want to work against that.

And I think part of me needs to do that for another reason. I'm on meds that cause weight gain. I can either, like many people, allow them to cause me to gain another 50 pounds, or I can work against it where I will stay similar or even LOSE weight despite the meds.

Anyway, I try not to judge other people's situations, but I do wish better for my family.

Oh Camy, you are so sweet.... I wasn't trying to single you out - honest! I know you would never be intentionally cruel of judgmental! I was just trying to remind everyone that a child who has a few extra pounds doesn't need anyone feeling sorry for them or getting mad at their parents! You don't have to be some ideal weight to enjoy life to the full! See, this is where those perceptions trip us up... they cause us to assume things that might not be true. A happy, engaged, well rounded child with good friends and healthy interests is just that, even if he is a few pounds overweight! I could argue that there are plenty of skinny, fit people (including children) whose lives are a mess for other reasons...

I love you, Camy! I'm sorry if my post sounded like a reaction to you personally - if that were the case, I would have posted directly to you (and would have worded it more gently :)).

Robin

I didn't see anyone's specific medical issue so please don't be offended....

but can't many medical issues become excuses rather than just reasons that particular child or family has additional obstacles?

This is what I fear in my own home. I don't want it to be, "well, these medical treatments caused 20 and 40 pounds gains and so they'll just be overweight." Instead, I want to work against that.

And I think part of me needs to do that for another reason. I'm on meds that cause weight gain. I can either, like many people, allow them to cause me to gain another 50 pounds, or I can work against it where I will stay similar or even LOSE weight despite the meds.

Anyway, I try not to judge other people's situations, but I do wish better for my family.

Believe me, I wished better for mine, too.

It's not a question of what an ADULT could do to "work against" his/her medication, it's a question of whether a CHILD could control the reaction of his body to seven years of near-constant steroid treatments for asthma (in my case) and autoimmune disorders (in RebeccaC's case). I won't speak for her, but for us it was very, very difficult to have our precious child treated as a fat, lazy little piggie when there wasn't one thing he or any of us could do differently to improve his appearance without risking his life in the process.

He could. not. breathe. Could not breathe. At all. Without constant medication. Without daily breathing treatments of Pulmicort (a steroid) and Prednisone (another steroid) when he was sick with a cold or virus. Decadron (another steroid) injections when he had a bad attack. He couldn't play ball and ride his bike and jump on the neighbor's trampoline like normal kids because he COULD NOT BREATHE when he did. He ate healthy food and did what he could activity-wise until such time as we got wise to the magic of allergy immunotherapy, and now he's fine, fit and slim, because he's off steroids. Now, he can breathe.

I know you said you don't mean offense, but it really does sting to have it even indirectly implied we used our son's life-threatening illness or his dependence on life-saving medication as an "excuse" to let him be overweight.

(Good luck with your meds, BTW. Sounds like you're on the right track! :))

I won't speak for her, but for us it was very, very difficult to have our precious child treated as a fat, lazy little piggie when there wasn't one thing he or any of us could do differently to improve his appearance without risking his life in the process.

I'll take that one step further and say that to look down on a child or treat a child as a fat, lazy little piggie is downright RUDE regardless of whether or not he could do something about it.

To treat someone like they are "less than" because they are not their "perfect" weight is the new discrimination. And we wonder why all these teenage girls end up anorexic/bulemic?

I agree that there are different kinds of reasons being discussed in this thread why a child might be overweight, but I still see it as one societal problem... people who think it's okay to pity/discriminate against someone because of their weight.

ETA: I got Night Elf confused with you, obviously. I knew there was someone who had a child with asthma who gained weight on the steroids, but I thought it was Night Elf. So I misspoke about that in my post below. Steroids because of asthma caused my dd to gain a lot of weight, too.

Rebecca,

I DO understand. Obviously had someone told me that my daughter was going to gain 40 pounds she may or may not lose (and possibly do it multiple times), I wouldn't have said, "I'd rather her just die then."

But does that mean because our children have taken or are on medication there IS nothing we can do? Is there NO hope at all, so just not worth discussing? Her doctor doesn't think so. He understands we'll battle the Prednisone issue each time she has to be on it, but he doesn't think that means she'll automatically be doomed to being overweight. Thing is, he isn't helping out a whole lot on the helping us not have that be true either. I mean, we could have figured out "no chips, no sugar" ourselves, ya know?

Anyway, I have NO doubt there are SOMETIMES issues that cause overweight issues no matter what. However, I'm just not willing to throw in the towel yet and I think that extreme situations are just that, extreme, not regular for either "fat kids" in general OR for "caused by a medical issue."

Again, my intent was not to offend. I have two children who have gained weight due to medication, one that may have to deal with it on and off her whole life as I do (for different reasons though). I want to be balanced in how we view this. We can't just give up and say whatever goes and we don't want to harp on the problem either. We eat healthy, we exercise, and if someone gives us a "you might try...." I probably WILL try it if it's reasonable and/or doc approves.

Pamela, yes there are things that can be done and we should all do them. But children losing weight is a very tricky thing. It is not always safe for them to try to lose weight at the same time they are trying to grow. We do what we can, wait for them to "grow" into their weight, and assist them as best we can.

But even if our children never completely grow into their weight, there comes a point where it's just plain wrong to point fingers at people and comment on their weight. Period.

I am willing to bet that some of the people doing so in this thread would probably be appalled if they were in a public place with their children, and one of their kids looked up at them and said, "Gosh, mom... look at how many fat people are here today! Isn't that alarming? (i.e. disgusting? Shameful?)"

Pamela, I wish you good luck with your quest to keep your children healthy. And I don't think it's hopeless, not at all.

To everyone else: I'm concerned about unhealthy trends in children in general and I'm sorry if I led this thread astray by suggesting the issue in question may be more complicated than "too much junk food and not enough exercise."

The original question was "why do so many kids have big guts these days?" and my answer for MY big-gutted child was, "he was taking a lot of steroids for asthma." Now that he's not taking a lot of steroids, he's not fat, and that's how I know. Because he's still eating healthy foods with occasional treats and now he's able to be a lot more active. And now when he reaches for a cupcake with the rest of the crowd, people don't suggest to him that he shouldn't have it because he's fat.

I guess that should have been my simple answer from the start.

there comes a point where it's just plain wrong to point fingers at people and comment on their weight. Period.

Uhhh, yeah like ANY TIME, imo. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Sheesh.

I have never discussed someone's child's weight with them other than normal baby/toddler stuff. And I don't discuss it with anyone else either!

Boards are a little different. I can see someone posting, "what is going on in the world when so many kids seem to be overweight?"

fattest friends is homeschooled child. I think that over reliance on processed foods is the biggest culprit. Let's face it, eating healthily is more work and expense. Some people choose not to spend the time and energy it takes to prepare healthy meals three times a day. Some days, I can't say that I blame them!

It's funny watching the kids, I have 2 that are super thin normally(like ribs sticking out thin, though my oldest is starting to enter puberty and a growth spurt and is starting to build up a bit of a gut(he always does this, goes out then up). On the other hand my 3rd child is solid like a linebacker. He has always been so, he is not fat but he is not rail thin like the others, he is just completely solid. All are very active and while we do eat more fast food than we should over all they eat very healthy. I spend alot of time teaching healthy habits, both eating and activity (though trying to do so while refraining from taking about diets etc is tough sometimes when I am working at losing weight), but I do notice alot of the kids friends who do not want to play outside they want to stay in and play video games or watch tv. Mine on the other hand are in organized sports 5-6 days a week, plus regular play time outside where they run, and climb and play.

I know a child who was a massive baby. Just huge.

Huge toddler. Parents are short, small people. Brother is short and small.

Girl is huge, getting bigger with each year.

Now at 10, she is still big, and I just feel awful for her. Her portions are doled out in miniscule bits. She's seen doctors and specialists, is enrolled in every sport under the sun.

She's very athletic, despite being so overwieght. No diabetes or cholesterol problems.

I disagree with the things the mother says to her (like giving her brother 4 cookies and her a half of one!) and it just breaks my heart, because if there was ever a case for metabolism and a person "meant" to be big, it is HER! She has *always* been a huge child, is it really a surprise to the Dr and gher parents after 10 years? Just leave the poor girl alone!

And I am a case for that too- I've been skinny skinny my whole life. I can eat Twinkies alllll day and not excercise a lick, and I won't get over 115 pounds. I actually have to really focus every day so I don't *lose* weight. I just have a really high metabolism.

I also metabolise medicine super quick, like pain killers, so that just sucks!The downside of the high metabolism!

Are kids overweight in America due to our lifestyle as a society? Yes. But its dangerous and unkind to make assumptions based only on how a child looks.I guess that could go for lots of things, huh?

Boards are a little different. I can see someone posting, "what is going on in the world when so many kids seem to be overweight?"

Yes, that's not the issue with me. A discussion about how today's average lifestyle contributes to obesity (not just in children) is fine. I was criticizing the tendency (even in this thread) to make personal judgements about the kids and their parents, to the point of insult. The way people don't think twice to voice their disapproval of an overweight person for no reason other than the fact that they are overweight is just as alarming to me as the actual rise in obesity itself. Maybe even more so.

I have just read a very interesting book called Lights Out, Sleep, Sugar and Survival

amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sleep-Sugar-Survival/dp/0671038680/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212644597&sr=8-1

I have never felt convinced by the high protein diet fad but this book has educated me in some ways and I find it absolutely fascinating. In fact, if you like popular science/health books, this book is actually gripping. I couldn't put it down. And I am applying some of what the author recommends to see if it works for me.

Oh yeah, forgot, it talks a lot about prehistoric man and their diet and lifestyle, comparing it to our recent diet trends, so if that bugs you, probably not for you.

I have just read a very interesting book called Lights Out, Sleep, Sugar and Survival

amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sleep-Sugar-Survival/dp/0671038680/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212644597&sr=8-1

I have never felt convinced by the high protein diet fad but this book has educated me in some ways and I find it absolutely fascinating. In fact, if you life popular science/health books, this book is actually gripping. I couldn't put it down. And I am applying some of what the author recommends to see if it works for me.

Oh yeah, forgot, it talks a lot about prehistoric man and their diet and lfestyle, so if that bugs you, probably not for you.

Thanks Peela for mentioning this my library has a copy. I'll have to get that and perhaps let my carbaholic, insomniac son read it also. Maybe it will all click with him and he'll get the sleep he needs.

I just am constantly noticing how big guts are on all ages of kids these days. What is causing this?

Anyone else notice it or have a child that struggles with it?

People talk about calories... That's only a little bit of the picture. Those who have farm grandmas know how much they love their lard (in EVERYTHING), fried foods, and pies for dessert! The difference is that A) you had to actually spend time cooking from scratch anything you ate, so boredom eating was out and you had to be SERIOUS about wanting a dessert, B) you didn't drink many of your calories at all, and C) you exercised. A LOT. Every day!

I think #3's the kicker. Parents are soooo afraid of the big bad world out there that they don't let elementary schoolers play outdoors unsupervised. They have no outdoor chores for kids, either. Worst of all is the "it's too cold/too hot/too wet" excuse. If it is a thunderstorm, sure. But reasonably healthy people did just fine before A/C was invented--unless it is WELL above 100 with high humidity, it is NOT too hot! And coats work just fine, too. And so do umbrellas. Kids don't melt in the rain!

I make sure the kids I'm teaching get at LEAST three hours of vigorous outdoor play per day. Five is better! We try to homeschool outside any day the temp is above 50 for at least part of the day.

My 5-y-o is all muscle. He rode his bike more than three miles with me the other day! His stamina is amazing. He'll swim for two hours, come home and romp in the back yard for another two, and top it off with a half-hour game of Frisbee. Oh, and then come dancing with us that evening...

The activity level definitely needs some work. Part of my son's problem is that he doesn't like being outside. He gets the heebie jeebies at flying "things". We purchased a treadmill not too long ago and have been trying to get into a routine. So far, the kids have been walking about 3 times per week, but only a mile at a time. It's better than the zero activity we had, but I'd sure like to ramp that up a bit.

My DS was terrified of bugs because we came from NM, where bugs a very rare, to MD, where they're EVERYWHERE.

I told him to deal. :-) When he came in, bawling, I'd kick him out again. I'd go with him, but I'd still kick him out.

Kids 10 and older should be getting two miles of walking a DAY, MINIMUM. This is for basic health maintenance, not fitness. This doesn't have to be as an official "walk" but can be incorporated into play, etc. One mile three days a week is a tiny, tiny amount of exercise. Not making time for exercise is especially dangerous for HSers because, well, we don't HAVE to walk much of anywhere! So we can have horribly unhealthy sedentary lives unless we take definite steps.

Yes, I have two overweight children and am absolutely flummoxed on how to make it better. It's nearly impossible to find information on how many calories a child should have a day. I even made a specific appointment with our pediatrician to discuss this as my dd10 is often in tears due to her weight. The doctor's advice: no more diet soda, drink lots of water and eat as miuch fruit, veggies and lean meat as you want. When I tried to peg him down on a specific nutritional plan, he said they don't do that anymore because of the possibility of eating disorders. He said the best advice he had was to have the children maintain their present weight and in the next couple of years their physical growth will spread that weight out to a more healthy body.

My friend and I went to Barnes and Noble recently trying to find a book that talks about nutrion for kids. The staff couldn't help. They found cookbooks for kids that includes supposedly kid-friendly recipes, but no book that talks about what kind of nutritional plan we should be aiming for. I did find special diet books like gluten free/casein free stuff, but that's not a lifestyle I want in my home. I've given up really.

I cannot get any real help with DD. I've also heard the "keep them at the same weight and wait for growth". Well, she's 10 years old, easily 30 pounds overweight, and 5'3" tall. What kind of growth am I supposed to wait for???

My DS was terrified of bugs because we came from NM, where bugs a very rare, to MD, where they're EVERYWHERE.

I told him to deal. :-) When he came in, bawling, I'd kick him out again. I'd go with him, but I'd still kick him out.

Oh my. What a kick in the pants! If the problem were with either of my other children, I'd agree with you. But my son is on the autism spectrum and fears are not so easily dismissed. In fact, handled improperly, he could get really messed up. Am I making excuses for him, as someone else suggested? I'm not letting him hide behind his A.S. Parents of special needs kids learn to work around the issues when we can. It's as real as a child missing a leg. You can't tell a child to suck it up and hop around on one leg. You have to find a way to accommodate the disability.

However, I did find a way to get more walking in for everyone. Dd10 is attending a summer camp for the next 5 weeks that is tons of physical activity. When her brother and I drop her off in the mornings, we take a walk around the park. We've encountered less flying bugs at the park than we have around our house. I only just learned about that trail yesterday.

One last comment about this thread. Topics like this always make me cringe. I absolutely hate the judgement so many people make simply with one glance because they think they know what the problem is. I've learned to look at people in a completely different way because of what I've experienced as the parent of a special needs child. I'm sure it's one of the reasons we're so isolated and not accepted in large groups. It just really hurts. Someone once told me that God's plan isn't always visible or understandable, but I know that being so hurt by people so often has really affected my faith in God. I can't believe anyone, most especially God, would purposefully hurt my life so badly. Hmph!