Menu

Please tell me 9 year old that the word "dude"...

:lol: Hey little dude, as funny as that is, it's really not appropriate for formal writing assignments.

To Mom, I don't know how your son writes, hand or computer, but I'd underline/circle/highlight it and ask him to reword. Maybe after enough reminding, it will kick in. I remember being on the receiving end of such monitoring when I continued to use the word "ain't" in my writing. I still feel an internal jolt when I'm about to use that word in writing. :D

does not need to appear as part of his essay writing. PLEASE.

And I quote.."It won't be long before I am a grown up dude." :001_huh:

:lol: I'd leave it and save those papers and show them to him when he's in his 20's. Our 25yos just spent about a month sorting through stacks and stacks of his old papers (and personal notes .. he writes constantly). He would find some funny ones (well ... they were pretty much all funny ...:001_huh: ) and read them aloud as we all cracked up laughing. It was great. Hard to envision for you at your ds's age right now, I know, but one day you'll love those papers. ;)

What is it about that word? When DH and I get excited about something were are discussing, he totally calls me dude. I didn't notice it until we were with one of his friends this week and the friend said, "Dude...you just called your wife dude." :lol: I guess it's an 80s thing...

I am currently working on getting DD15 to stop using like after, like, every, like, freakin' word.

What is it about that word? When DH and I get excited about something were are discussing, he totally calls me dude. I didn't notice it until we were with one of his friends this week and the friend said, "Dude...you just called your wife dude." :lol: I guess it's an 80s thing...

I am currently working on getting DD15 to stop using like after, like, every, like, freakin' word.

Ok, THAT'S HILARIOUS!

My ds3 and ds6 say the word 'dude' all.the.time. Obviously, dh and I do, too. Ah, the leftovers from our childhood of the 80's...

I took my 14yo stepdaughter shopping recently, and she picked out an outfit that looks identical to what would have been the height of fashion in my 6th grade class. Apparently, 80's style clothing is 'cool' in her highschool. Who knew. :)

I have asked dh not to call me dude. It just seems, well, weird. :lol:

Dear Rebecca's ds:

Duuuuuuude. There are times when you can totally use (appropriate) slang and be, like, soooo informal in your word choices.

Unfortunately, when writing essays (whether for your mother, a teacher, the SAT, or your boss's boss) you need to be a bit more selective in your vocabulary.

So, dude, sure you'll be a grown-up soon. It sounds like your mom is doing a great job of helping to prepare you -- and part of that is learning when it's okay to be a total goof-ball, and when you have to keep the goofy inside. ;)

LOL - my son is just laughing away at all the feedback on this thread. He thinks he has just done..."like the funniest thing ever...dude."

Once, I was asking him about a little girl he "likes." He told me that he had a crush on her. Since they play togehter, I got inquisitive and said, "well, it is okay to like someone or think they are cute or whatever, but you don't hold her hand or kiss her or anything...DO YOU?" His response was a really quick, "Oh dude! That is just WRONG! You know I don't like to kiss anyone!" Me: "Great son...but you do know that I am not a 'DUDE'...RIGHT?"

Where this language came from, I have no idea. My world lately has been "totally" - my dh will even make fun of me and say, "Oh...so not partially, but TOTALLY." :tongue_smilie:

Urban Dictionary says Dude is the universal pronoun. :lol:

Also,

A word that is established in a Californians mental dictionary at a very young age.

A nickname for a person you don't know

A word that expresses alarm, shock, anger, or happiness

A word added on to a sentence to prove a point

A word used to convey sympathy

Urban Dictionary says Dude is the universal pronoun. :lol:

Also,

A word that is established in a Californians mental dictionary at a very young age.

A nickname for a person you don't know

A word that expresses alarm, shock, anger, or happiness

A word added on to a sentence to prove a point

A word used to convey sympathy

So basically, DUDE can mean whatever you want... :lol:

Raising my hand, it's an 80s thing, or a Hurley thing if you watch Lost, Dude. I use the Dude and Dudette quite a bit.

I'm probably not one to comment as I allowed ds to use "monkey quote" in a CW assignment this year. I'm a big believer in creativity and usually allow things once but then tell him we should reach for more appropriate terms next time.

So basically, DUDE can mean whatever you want... :lol:

teehee Much like 'nice'

There's the 'oh, that's really neat/cool' - niiiiice

There's the 'oh that's so wrong' - nice

It's said with excitement, it's said with disgust. It's said with genuineness as well as sarcasm.

I use that word too much :p

(and dude...and suhweet...and totally)

Raising my hand, it's an 80s thing, or a Hurley thing if you watch Lost, Dude. I use the Dude and Dudette quite a bit.

I'm probably not one to comment as I allowed ds to use "monkey quote" in a CW assignment this year. I'm a big believer in creativity and usually allow things once but then tell him we should reach for more appropriate terms next time.

We have a house full of dudettes here. :D

I didn't read through the resonses so pls forgive if someone already mentioned the same thing . . .

A while back on NPR a guy was being interviewed and he said that he and his friend were trying to identify the most intelligent statement to accompany the word dude. They were looking for things like, "Whoa, Dude, I split a particle!" or something like that but as of the airing of that interview, they hadn't found much of anything that they would count as even moderately intelligent.

Back when the Young Man was about 8 years old, we went through a local McDonald's drive through and ordered drinks. Naturally, because of my corn allergy, I order a diet Coke. The boy (who might be all of 16) hands me a regular Coke instead. I explained the mixup, and he took the drink back as he said, "Oh, dude....uh, my bad."

The first thing I did was look at myself. Yep, the girls are still there. Yep, hair down to my shoulders, pulled back in a barrette. Yep, mid-30s. There wasn't a part of me that didn't look like a soccer mom. I'm sitting there wondering how this kid could possibly call me "dude," when, from the back seat, my 8-year-old says,

"His bad what, mom?" Gotta love how homeschooling keeps you from absorbing the vernacular, like, you know?

"Grammar, honey. His bad grammar."

I considered it part of Language Arts that day.:001_smile:

Back when the Young Man was about 8 years old, we went through a local McDonald's drive through and ordered drinks. Naturally, because of my corn allergy, I order a diet Coke. The boy (who might be all of 16) hands me a regular Coke instead. I explained the mixup, and he took the drink back as he said, "Oh, dude....uh, my bad."

The first thing I did was look at myself. Yep, the girls are still there. Yep, hair down to my shoulders, pulled back in a barrette. Yep, mid-30s. There wasn't a part of me that didn't look like a soccer mom. I'm sitting there wondering how this kid could possibly call me "dude," when, from the back seat, my 8-year-old says,

"His bad what, mom?" Gotta love how homeschooling keeps you from absorbing the vernacular, like, you know?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

Well, let me be the first to announce that he has now rewritten his paper. It currently says, "soon I will be a grown-up man who is expected to no longer say fun things like, "dude."

Apparently, he was bound and determined to fit the word "dude" into this paper. :001_rolleyes: Little punk! :lol:

Definitely credit for determination and creativity. My kids always get extra credit when they out smart me. The dog on the other hand just drive me crazy.