Menu

Do you ever study or plan on studying your state's history?

Tabrett

I checked our state (WA) and it doesn't specifically require state history but I will probably teach it in the early years of high school (about 9th grade). Of course that is a long ways away for me and I may change my mind about when to teach it.

We are next year as a semester course of my rising Freshman's course work. I wasn't planning on it but was so impressed with Hewitt Homeschool's course that I decided to do it! Main reason: lots of planning and research. I feel this will really help with later academics and state history just fits the bill.

Would I require it? Probably not. FWIW, I had to take Tennessee history in hs and I haven't lived there since 1980. In today's world, probably won't see my dc's living in the same state throughout life. However, as I said, I think it's a great thing to do projects, planning, research on and about.

I didn't intend to explicitly teach state history, but I seem to have covered quite a bit accidentally while covering US history - we live in MA, and our US history studies have included Plymouth, the Massachusetts Bay colony, the Revolution, industrialization and unionization in Lowell and Lawrence, whaling off Nantucket and New Bedford, lcoal abolitionists - we've done less post-Civil War because most of the "main events" happened elsewhere. I'm always happy to find a book of historical fiction from the time we're studying that happens to be set here, though, like a WWI/influenza book we just read (A Time of Angels) that was set in Boston.

However, it would seem really artificial to me to study all this in a vacuum without the context of what was going on in the nation and the world at the same time.

My state has it on the list of what to teach, but because the list is about our only real requirement, it is up to us as to when and how to do that.

I had my oldest do it as an independent study between third and fourth grade with some great books I got from Barnes and Noble and the library. We talked about each book as she read it, and it worked fine that way for us. We were not in the four-year history cycle at the time, and we were in between doing American history and starting Ancient, so I decided to squeeze it in over the summer. I do have another, larger book that I am going to fit in in 8th grade, along with our state and federal constitutions.

Well be doing a unit study of our state this summer, we have local resources through museums and events that will bring the history to life and prayerfully make it real to them.

We have no state requirement to teach it, but it is enjoyable and we'll come back to it and add new layers once they are older.

I checked our state (WA) and it doesn't specifically require state history but I will probably teach it in the early years of high school (about 9th grade). Of course that is a long ways away for me and I may change my mind about when to teach it.

I also live in Washington, and would love to use this resource, but haven't figured out how to schedule it:

http://education.gibbs-smith.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=888

I like the products this publisher sells.

Our state (PA) does require it, so I plan to do it over the summer between 3rd and 4th. We'll begin American History in 3rd, so we'll just slip into PA history after we finish the year. I figure we'll do a lot of field trips and because PA is one of the original 13 colonies, we'll have covered much of the state history already.

I tucked our state history into American history, which was tucked into world history! ;) The first time through our chronological history studies, I just added a few state history books and many historical site visits. It was especially fun because we could actually see the sites that we were studying. Most of our other history study needs to come from books, pictures and museums.

When we moved to a new state, dd took a co-op class on the state's history that included projects and field trips. Again, it provided more specific examples of general US history. She was actually able to see a trail that the pioneers travelled.

I think that studying state history makes US history more real. It is also part of having a well-rounded education. There should be more to being able to say "That's the Mississippi River." We should be able to understand its importance to our economy and how it was used in the past. (State history is also really useful to understand all of those strange street names! :D)

Funny Donelda, I was going to say street names can be an interesting source of state and local history. :)

We did state history in the last 2 weeks or so of our fourth year history cycle, after we finished-up modern history. We live in Virginia, so like others, we have been visiting local sites and discussing local history all along. But I found it to be a nice re-cap of everything we had covered from beginning to end. I also think it's important to know about about where you live. In fact, we even included some limited state studies for Tennessee and Arkansas where we have family and visit often.

I couldn't tell you the name of the book I used as a spine. It was just some Virginia state book for kids I found from Rainbow Resources or a book sale or somewhere. But we used it as a jumping-off point and made lapbooks. We also read library books about things that seemed worth pursuing.

Of course. How could we not learn about our state? :-)

We did lots of state things all along, rather than taking a specific year to do it. If I were living in Calif today (and were still hsing!), I'd use Lesha Myers' His California Story as well as doing lots of field trips.

State history is taught in PS in 4th grade here but it's not required for homeschoolers. We did a unit on it two summers ago before my dd's 4th grade year, and I was planning to visit it again this summer, as my ds goes into 4th grade. After that we'll just drop it. I wondered why I was so gung-ho to teach it...mostly because I dread the questions and feel judged when non-homeschoolers ask if I teach it (when what they're really wanting to know is if our hs is adequate...another thread altogether...). Really lame, I know...

I haven't read all the replies, but we'll be doing our state's history as part of MFW Expl-1850. After spending most of the year doing an overview of the first half of the 50 states (2nd half done in 1850-Modern), then they have scheduled, I think it's 6 weeks? or 4? at the end of the year in EX1850 to study your own state more in-depth.

Well see maybe my thinking is rather funny, but I lived in another state most of my life. So now I live in another state. I don't feel like it is "my" state. So studying it's history seems like a weird idea. :001_smile:

We're kind of in the same situation, as dh and I are not *from* here, and only our last child was born here. But we've been in this state longer than any other since having children, and since it was a big part of the Civil War (Missouri), we have plenty of reasons to go ahead and study it in-depth. :001_smile:

Our state (PA) does require it, so I plan to do it over the summer between 3rd and 4th. We'll begin American History in 3rd, so we'll just slip into PA history after we finish the year. I figure we'll do a lot of field trips and because PA is one of the original 13 colonies, we'll have covered much of the state history already.

This is pretty much us as well. We are dipping our toes into it this year for 2nd grade but only very lightly using a Pennsylvania Reader.

Well see maybe my thinking is rather funny, but I lived in another state most of my life. So now I live in another state. I don't feel like it is "my" state. So studying it's history seems like a weird idea. :001_smile:

Wherever you live, that's what you should study. Plus the state where you grew up. It's all interesting, don't you think? And learning about different places helps our dc to be interested and widen their horizons, so to speak.

We are about 1/3 of the way through studying all 50 states. We take about 2 weeks (give or take) to study each state and do a lapbook type report. I say "give or take" because some of the states have proven more interesting to us than others so I don't stop us from continuing on....we just keep researching and reading about it until we're done and then move on to another state.

Before we started doing these we wrote (or requested via Internet) each State (each state is somewhat different, but google the name of the state and "information" to find the correct department) and requested a packet. Some of them were pretty sparse and others were a box full of information. We tell them that we want to learn the history, culture, tourism and landmarks for their state and happily accept what they send.

Our lapbook/scrapbooks contain the typical flag and other symbols, the shape of the state, information on captials and such, but we also have many pages on what makes that state special. And a lot of things we'd like to visit in that state someday. It's always been a dream of mine to travel to each state.....I haven't given up the dream and figure even if we never make all of the states, we'll at least know something about the states if we ever get the chance to go.

Some of the lapbooks are pretty thin, a dozen pages at most, and some are big enough to fill a large binder all by themselves. Some of them we have been able to find other homeschoolers to send us postcards or other information.

The library of course has lots of great books to read about the history of each state......and AAA has cool maps and tourist stuff, which often include history and customs.

It's fun, it's pretty easy though sometimes time consuming when we're really into the state.

I figure with our society the way it is the chances are my kids are going to live in several states over the course of their life.....knowing a bit about each one can only be a plus.

Since we live in VA, our state history *is* US History. ;) So while we don't do a dedicated state history series, it gets covered anyway.

My only issue is finding enough picture-book biographies for DD. there just aren't that many that are NOT chapter books and ARE physically short enough to read at one sitting without her getting bored.

Since we live in VA, our state history *is* US History. ;) So while we don't do a dedicated state history series, it gets covered anyway.

My only issue is finding enough picture-book biographies for DD. there just aren't that many that are NOT chapter books and ARE physically short enough to read at one sitting without her getting bored.

Oh, but you can do so many wonderful field trips!

While it has kind of been touched on, I think the main reason for studing state/local history hasn't really been explained here.

It isn't because you need to know the specifics about this state.

It isn't because you grew up here, or didn't grow up here, or only plan to be here a few years.

IT IS because it is one of the best ways to make history, truly hands on and a part of your life. It is the way to bring history alive, even for kids who could care less about it.

When that little brass marker that is in the corner of the park that you play in every week is studied, and now the Santa Fe Trail rumbles by everytime you run to the swings- you are making history come alive.

When you look up a 70yo picture of the street corner where your favorite restaraunt is now and talk about the bank robbery that happened there in the depression- you are making history come alive.

When you can go downtown and see the burn stains, or damage from cannon balls, or bullets, somewhere that you live all the time- you are making history come alive.

And those connections are real and long lasting, and long afterwards when someone mentions the Santa Fe Trail or the Depression, or the Civil War you have some serious pegs to hang things on. Pegs that don't go away very easily and that can make children into historians.

There are things like this a short distance from where you live. Sure it might be easier in VA, but this is truly everywhere. I think your best source for this is probably a middle or high school history teacher that loves his subject. The next best bet is probably a locally written guide or history book (and for this the nearest public university book shop is probably a good place to look).

But just like you are going to find history popping up everywhere, so are good sources for local history. A neighbor, or a tour guide at a local museum, or a city worker (sometimes those utilites guys know some of the local "sercrets"), or just whoever you bump into at the first place you check out.

Good luck!

I know some states require you to study their history. Is it a requirement for you state? What grade do you teach state history? What curriculum do you use or if you make up your own, what do you study?

We teach it as it comes up in our history cycle, plus we do a lot of field trips.

We've been lucky enough to have lived in Texas, and now Virginia. FUN state history!

IT IS because it is one of the best ways to make history, truly hands on and a part of your life. It is the way to bring history alive, even for kids who could care less about it.

Well said. That is in fact the reason I hucked the classical history cycle to focus on US history first - because I just couldn't stand to wait to take all the amazingly cool local history field trips till they were older, and heck, if we were taking the field trips, we might as well study the history that went with them! It really did bring history alive for my kids.

Just happens that where I live local history and US history are almost the same thing to start, so I hadn't thought of it as "state history" only, but your point is very well taken.

I touch on Florida's history each year. I don't do a big complex study, but I definitely cover the main events in our history. Each year I use a different book. One year I did a coloring book that had facts on each page and puzzles and stuff. One year I did a sticker book similar to the coloring book, I've done readers and books about Florida. I've even gotten some videos out of the library etc. I think it's good to know where you come from and that is why I teach it. I'm not sure if it's required or not, but I would do it anyway. :)

We did informal state history with field trips and vacation times. State parks, etc.

Then in MFW's EX1850 we did the formal state history report on our state. (scheduled at the end of the year) Oldest did a full report, middle gal was in 2nd grade so she did a state notebooking project from statehistory dot net

-crystal

However, it would seem really artificial to me to study all this in a vacuum without the context of what was going on in the nation and the world at the same time.

:iagree:

My state requires it around 3rd/4th grade. Can you tell that I really care about their requirement timeline? ;) It does make me feel just a little pressure to do *something*, but I haven't given any thought to curriculum for it yet. Although our state didn't join the U.S. until 1959, there's alot of interesting history here. I like to go all the way back to before the Russians came, and teach AK Native history - then move forward from there. Japan attacked the Aleutian Islands at one point, and just the sheer weather conditions made that an extremely hard war for the soldiers fighting. Anyhooo....

Ya, we'll cover it. I just don't know where to squeeze it in. I too would like to use local museums, oral history told from elders who lived through things when they happened, and mix state geography in as well with a big road trip. :auto:

Exactly!

I live in New Mexico, so I plan to cover state history in depth when we do the "Westward Expansion" component of US History, but we're always doing little field trips and pointing out historical sites.

I *hated* state history when I was a kid (in NJ); it seemed like a whole year of memorizing lists of names and dates and battles with no connection to real life. I'm determined to do a much more hands-on, you-are-there, "living history" sort of approach with my own kids.

Jackie

I'm actually planning on making a unit study out of our home state/region. We're going to focus on local ecology, animals, plants, pre-history, First Peoples, geography, and history. We're going to go to local museums, botanical gardens, etc. We will also include family history, of how and when our family came to live here, in conjunction with a family tree. We'll probably do it the last half of first grade.

I didn't realize this thread continued so long after my last check. Making history come alive is the best reason to do state studies. You know those historic markers that you whiz by on the roads? Stop and read them some time. You'll learn all kinds of stuff you never knew.

There's a road near us called "Telegraph Rd." Wanna know why it's called that? The first telegraph line from DC to Richmond ran along that road. There's a marker along the Fairfax County Parkway about a Nike Missile site. Doesn't that just bring the Cold War back into focus for you!?

Historic Marker Database

http://www.hmdb.org/

We have spent extra time on the Revolution this year. Most of the people and events take place north of Georgia. I have included all the relevant Georgia history that I could find and have made some surprising discoveries!

I try to read aloud Georgia facts when we are traveling through our state. And I try to bring Georgia history up in the course of everyday. For example, when we studied China and silkworms, I learned that the early colonists in Georgia tried to start a silkworm industry here. But, no, I have no plans to just study state history on its own. I bring it up as a contrast/similarity discussion as we go along.