Menu

What to do about looking pg?

I'm not losing weight at a break-neck speed or anything, but I'm down about 1.75 dress sizes--you know, nothing in one size fits, 1/2 the stuff in the size down fits.

And I look more pg than ever. My face is thinner, though. :glare:

So there are some things coming up in my life that will be...much more difficult if I look like I'm expecting, kwim? Obviously, I want to lose more weight, but even at my thinnest post-baby weight (10lb over my pre-baby wt), I looked pg enough that *everybody* asked when I was due. So this isn't something I expect weight loss to solve very quickly.

Today I was wearing dressier slacks w/ a more tailored shirt untucked. It's the nicest I've looked in a long time, & it made me wonder if there aren't ways to dress to downplay my middle. A long skirt, for ex, makes me look like a warm, earth mother type. I mean, an old fat one. Who'd hug you & feed you grits or something.

So long skirts are really out. Any other ideas? I'm also open to diet/exercise suggestions that might actually solve the problem rather than hide it.

Thanks, ladies.

I don't know but I'm listening :bigear:. I have a lot more to lose than you do (about 50 pounds) and I look about 7 months pregnant. One man asked me in the store when I was due - I told him I was ready to pop any minute!:glare: He hurried away very quickly.

50lb may not be my goal, but it would by no means leave me anorexic. :001_huh: And I'm only 5'3".

As someone who comes from a family of women who perpetually look pregnant, (including my sister who's never had kids) I'm blaming it on the genes. Currently, my waist is only 2" smaller than my hips. Try finding pants to fit that kind of figure. I don't have the answers, but you have my understanding and sympathy.

What about some cute empire tops that are out now, or the cute sundresses that are empire. That would keep focus off middle.

I just started Leslie Sansone again, to work on my tummy. I am about your size, but if I dont keep moving, it adds up, plus I got the post forty thing going. Metabolism shot.

You? You are beautiful. At least that's what I think everytime I see your avatar. :)

Try darker colors at the wider areas and try to accentuate/draw attention to your better areas. I love darker neutrals on the bottom, personally. I think sweaters tend to make people who aren't really skinny look larger with the exception of open cardigans with a contrasting shirt color. I think the combo you wore today sounds lovely.

What about some cute empire tops that are out now, or the cute sundresses that are empire. That would keep focus off middle.

I just started Leslie Sansone again, to work on my tummy. I am about your size, but if I dont keep moving, it adds up, plus I got the post forty thing going. Metabolism shot.

For me, these emphasize my stomach (they do work for some people).

I can tell you what I do...but it's store intensive! I go to the store (sans kids) and try on tops in every shape and size...ones that are the right size for me, ones that are too big...ones in a style I like, ones that look blah on the hanger. Eventually I come away with some that don't make me look like I'm expecting. People have actually started telling me that I've lost weight (and absolutely refuse to believe me when I tell them I haven't. Really. I haven't. I'm still sixty pounds overweight).

I don't know but I'm listening :bigear:. I have a lot more to lose than you do (about 50 pounds) and I look about 7 months pregnant. One man asked me in the store when I was due - I told him I was ready to pop any minute!:glare: He hurried away very quickly.

This is me too, I look pregnant enough that my 18 month old patted my belly and said "baby" (we had been around a few pg ladies). :glare:

No advice on what to wear as I completely suck in that department, jeans and a T do me just fine but perhaps look at your portion sizes. Just making it slightly smaller will make a difference. How about walking or some other form of exercise. We have a national 'find 30' campaign on here at the moment encouraging everyone to get off the couch and exercise for 30 min per day. I used to live in a small town where I had to walk 2km everyday to get the mail. Since moving I have noticed I am putting on the kg and I know it is because I am not exercising the same way I used to.

I know it is easy for me to say. Just trying to make a suggestion of a lifestyle change that you could make to see some long term changes to your health.

What about something like a girdle? It's not a permanent solution, but it could get you through the day.

What about wrap shirts? (I can't remember what they're called.) They cross over the front and tie at the side. KWIM? They are supposed to be slimming. I agree with just trying on tons of tops, until you find something flattering.

If you have cable, try watching "What Not to Wear". They usually have all different body types on there at one time or another.

I don't know, when I see these I automatically think pregnant. I am sure that is because that is the way that a lot of maternity clothes are cut. You have to have absolutely no stomach what-so-ever for these to hang freely and not highlight your mid section. I never wear these and I am have just recently reached a weight where I don't look anorexic.

I remember about 1-1 1/2 yrs after I had dd(youngest). Fridays are always pizza night. I was standing on the front porch with the kids when the pizza guy arrived. He asked me when I was due. I told him I wasn't pregnant- just fat. He looked uncomfortable. Thanks dude-I guess you think that you're getting a tip now!?! He scurried off the porch... grrrr...

I don't know, when I see these I automatically think pregnant. I am sure that is because that is the way that a lot of maternity clothes are cut. You have to have absolutely no stomach what-so-ever for these to hang freely and not highlight your mid section. I never wear these and I am have just recently reached a weight where I don't look anorexic.

Totally agree with this. I had bought the most lovely shirt in one of those cuts (and quite expensive too!). Brought it home and found I looked 5 months preggo. Sigh. Gave it to my sister who has no inkling of what a tummy is.

I have this problem majorly, too.

There are some empire waist tops that work and some that don't. You want to find ones that aren't just gathered below the bust, but actually have a type of band or flat seam around you just below the bust. If they're just a gathering of a bunch of material, the flowing material around your tummy does make you look pg. But if there's an actual band of some type, and not overflowy fabric, they do create a "waistline" around your smallest part. Sometimes, too, if there's just a seam but not a bunch of gathered fabric that works.

Wrap blouses are great, also. V-necks open your face and draw attention upwards.

Coldwater Creek has several that would probably be terrific --

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/tops-and-tees.aspx?ProductsPerPage=0

and structured jackets that nip in at the waist create that illusion, too. I've been trying to wear more jackets like this with jeans and I get compliments every time I do.

(Do I sound like I'm parroting What Not to Wear?? I watch it all the time to get ideas for hiding my tummy!)

What about wrap shirts? (I can't remember what they're called.) They cross over the front and tie at the side. KWIM? They are supposed to be slimming. I agree with just trying on tons of tops, until you find something flattering.

I have a couple of these, and they are slimming.

I have this problem (especially during PMS when my belly just bloats). I have had to switch over the wearing tops that are closer fitting. I don't do tight, just tops that fit closer to my body. The last time I left the house in an oversized top, our librarian asked if I was expecting. Now I save the oversized, loose fitting clothes for home. One of my personal favorites are just perfect fit T-shirts from Old Navy.

Well...I still need to be able to nurse. And most of the empire stuff comes across looking like maternity clothes. :glare:

No advice on what to wear as I completely suck in that department, jeans and a T do me just fine but perhaps look at your portion sizes. Just making it slightly smaller will make a difference. How about walking or some other form of exercise. We have a national 'find 30' campaign on here at the moment encouraging everyone to get off the couch and exercise for 30 min per day. I used to live in a small town where I had to walk 2km everyday to get the mail. Since moving I have noticed I am putting on the kg and I know it is because I am not exercising the same way I used to.

I know it is easy for me to say. Just trying to make a suggestion of a lifestyle change that you could make to see some long term changes to your health.

Before we came to seminary, I was walking 1-3m/day for...at least a year, maybe 2. I didn't lose anything.

In the last 5 yrs or so, my non-pg weight has had a 40lb range. I looked pg at the smallest wt. I absolutely want to lose wt, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem. And the event coming up is most likely too soon to lose a significant amt anyway.

What about something like a girdle? It's not a permanent solution, but it could get you through the day.

If you have cable, try watching "What Not to Wear". They usually have all different body types on there at one time or another.

Ugh. I tried a girdle when I started teaching (20-30lbs lighter than now). It did weird things to me, & people. still. asked.

Maybe I just encounter an incredibly oblivious kind of people? :lol:

I've been wearing these types of tops and finally realized that I regularly am asked if I'm pregnant when I'm do. I almost started a thread about my tummy a few weeks ago as I was close to tears about the pg comments. I am post 40 and my youngest is now 3. I had twins and a single baby very close together. My waistline is shot, as many of you can commiserate! Anyways, besides my tummy, I am a rather thin person, wear a size 8 and only need to lose 10 pounds to be at my pre-baby #4 weight. Before kids, which is not a realistic goal, I was a size 4, but I'm happy to be a size 8 if I just didn't have a pregnant belly! I do work out 3x a week on goods weeks (when everyone is healthy). I could watch what I eat better. I used to be able to eat w/o regard to how it affected my weight. But now that the metabolism is slowing, not so much!

I do wear a tummy control piece for times I dress up. It helps. I'm going to take some of the styling advice here. I won't be buying anything that looks even remotely like a maternity top!!!! :glare: And I'm all ears about exercise that will help the tummy area. :bigear:

I think tailored clothing like THIS TOP looks best, and something like control top panty hose or a body shaper does wonders under those slacks! I love New York and Company for fashionable clothing at a great price! The cuts are very flattering - I also love the modern fit of the dress pants and have them in black, brown and gray. These pants look great with a fitted shirt, and you will not look pg! :D

Well I am starting the Body for Life program because when I did this 8 years ago, it really made a big difference in the way I looked and felt (my family told me how great I looked). I have been doing The Firms "Fat Blaster" (love that name LOL!) for the past 2 months regularly and the progress has.been.slow! I am 38 now so my metabolism has definitely changed, but geez you would think that excercising 40 minutes 4-5 times weekly would make me look great instead of just so-so :glare:

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend starting the program until you are done nursing (they have a pretty strict diet), and I wouldn't go overboard on it (some of the people get really into it and get really musclely (I know thats not a word :D), but it DOES burn the fat faster than any program I have been on before, and the program does show great results after only 12 weeks.

Best wishes for you!

Diane

'I mean, an old fat one. Who'd hug you & feed you grits or something.'

LOL! :lol:

Well, I have the same body type, before I had a baby, and after... I just have a big booty, big hips, and little pooch... On the positive side I do have somewhat of a waist, and larger top (If you KWIM) to kind of balance it out...

What works best with me, and what I've heard on tv and whatnot... is to wear straight legged loose fitting bottoms. Nothing too tight on your bottom half (and I usually try to do a darker color on the bottom as well). But also not just huge and baggy or anything. Then on your top half try several tops, like the other ladies have suggested. There are a ton of different styles of tops... I agree that the empire waist can work, but it can't be too much material, or go out too wide at the bottom. I don't know how modest you are, but it's also good to show a little bit of skin near your face, it helps keep the focus up towards your face. I prefer a V-Neck or scoop neck. I can't stand crew necks... When you find a top that works well for you I suggest buying several colors, and looking for more styles of shirts in that same cut.

One big mistake a lot of people make is just flat out not wearing their proper size! I see tons of women wearing clothes that are too tight! Just because someone can squeeze into a size 10, doesn't mean they should actually wear a size 10. No one but you sees the tag, so just get the size 12 for crying out loud!!! On the other hand, a curvy women who might be trying to hide some curves puts on super baggy clothes, that makes them look heavier or frumpy! Just buying properly fitting clothes makes a world of difference. My poor ol MIL for instance - she wears all of her clothes too tight, then every roll is visible, it's just not pretty!!! Bless her heart... lol.

I myself am definitely curvy, but I'm not ashamed of my curves, and I will not hesitate to extenuate them! My figure is perfectly normal, and I always tell my husband "Well, look at the statues and sculptures from the Renaissance period, that's what I look like!" Curvy and soft, as a woman should be! hehe! And there ain't nothing wrong with that!!! :tongue_smilie:

You know, wouldn't it be nice if pg were beautiful? I mean, even if you're not, people would say, "My. What a hospitable womb!"

But in a good way.

:rofl: That's the dream!

I'm finding it harder each time I have a baby to lose the tummy. I lose the weight, but the tummy remains. The only way that I've found to make progress on it is running and yoga (more running than yoga though).

However, I think that empire tops could work, but you have to find one that doesn't have a full/poofy lower half. More of a streamlined one that still pulls away from the body. KWIM?

I also think that wrap shirts might work too. Supposedly the tie creates the definition of a waist. Also, higher waisted pants...like a mid-rise. That will keep some of it under control. Yes, I'm hooked on "What Not To Wear." I would recommend the show too if you have access. They don't ever tell someone to lose weight. They teach people to accept their bodies and use clothes to make them look good.

I'm also thinking about some Spanx, myself. I think that they have a tummy control one that I could at least wear under a nice dress and it would camoflouge some of the love handles/baby tummy.

Well, I have the same body type, before I had a baby, and after... I just have a big booty, big hips, and little pooch... On the positive side I do have somewhat of a waist, and larger top (If you KWIM) to kind of balance it out...

See...I don't have the top half to go w/ the bottom. Not even when I'm nursing. :001_huh:

:rofl: That's the dream!

I'm finding it harder each time I have a baby to lose the tummy. I lose the weight, but the tummy remains. The only way that I've found to make progress on it is running and yoga (more running than yoga though).

However, I think that empire tops could work, but you have to find one that doesn't have a full/poofy lower half. More of a streamlined one that still pulls away from the body. KWIM?

I also think that wrap shirts might work too. Supposedly the tie creates the definition of a waist. Also, higher waisted pants...like a mid-rise. That will keep some of it under control. Yes, I'm hooked on "What Not To Wear." I would recommend the show too if you have access. They don't ever tell someone to lose weight. They teach people to accept their bodies and use clothes to make them look good.

I'm also thinking about some Spanx, myself. I think that they have a tummy control one that I could at least wear under a nice dress and it would camoflouge some of the love handles/baby tummy.

I second (third) wrap tops. I love them - and you'd still have easy nursing access.

Spanx are great. They make some higher waisted undies that are actually very comfortable and hold in that pooch of mine when I really need it. :glare:

Amen! I bought a cute dress and had someone ask me if I'm pg recently. I'm underweight right now - not even a lump on my belly but they just assumed a loose top on top meant baby underneath.

Well, it's been 4 years for me and I still have a tendency to look pg! No one has dared ask me though. :D

No advice on clothes...but as far as minimizing the tummy, do you do crunches? They're easy to do at home and I think would make a difference, especially if your issue is with your shape more than your weight. Also, maybe try a balance ball? I was amazed at how weak my core was...the first few times I got tired from sitting on it for 10 min. or less! I can go a lot longer now. I sit on it while I'm teaching DS (who needs me by his side every. second. he's doing schoolwork). Both of those could help you firm up a bit.

I've tried many, many things through the years (and the post-pregnancies) and going low carb has been the only thing that has worked for me. I did the South Beach diet once and lost all my tummy weight in 2 weeks. I recently discovered that I have a wheat sensitivity, so perhaps it's not the low carb so much as the fact that I don't eat wheat when I go low-carb. Within ONE DAY, I could tell a huge difference in my stomach. Within two days, I'd only lost 2 lbs, but I lost TWO INCHES from my stomach. And I was on vacation, so I was not exercising and not eating healthy...just no wheat. You might try going a few days avoiding wheat and see if you notice anything. Different foods trigger different people, so an elimination diet could be in order. Prior to cutting out wheat, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and had been working out HARD, daily for 2 months....with no results.

As for hiding it, YES, I found tricks! First, v-necks only. No crew-necks! Fitted is more slimming than loose, but tight is less flattering than fitted. 3/4 sleeves are awesome, for some reason. Button-ups and vertical stripes are EXCELLENT. Wrap tops are lengthening. Here are some shirts:

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod1100083&parentId=cat60162&subcatId=cat730008

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod1000023&parentId=cat60162&subcatId=cat730008

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod940057&parentId=cat60162&subcatId=cat730008

Spanx are incredible. I know you said you didn't have a good experience with girdles, but these are different. Honest. http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990106&cp=2992553.3010055&parentPage=family....it smooths everything without leaving ripples above or below and can even be worn under jeans.

Oh! Shoes with some heel, wedge sandals, etc. also help a bunch. They change posture and make us stand with our bellies less out-there.

hth!

From your avatar, you are obviously lovely! I know what you are going through I just had #7 six months ago. It's especially hard with nursing. I do like to layer- it gets harder with warm weather. I wear a lot of tank tops with button up shirts, it helps to hide those post baby rolls:D. Walmart even has some pretty ones right now that have darts, it lends a very slimming effect. I agree with the poster concerning the right kind of empire waist. I have one top that has a defined gathered area right under the breast, stretchy enough for me to nurse, and then goes down, it seems to define the waist better than just looking like a tent!:tongue_smilie:

Enjoy your baby - it goes by so quickly!

Also, maybe try a balance ball? I was amazed at how weak my core was...the first few times I got tired from sitting on it for 10 min. or less! I can go a lot longer now. I sit on it while I'm teaching DS (who needs me by his side every. second. he's doing schoolwork). Both of those could help you firm up a bit.

I've never tried one of these, but it sounds like a great idea--thanks!

From your avatar, you are obviously lovely!

I hate to tell y'all this, but that avatar photo was taken over a yr ago, after I'd lost about 50lb. I'm around 20lb heavier than that pic right now, but mainly, it's the shape.

And I think that pic makes me look mean. Most pics do. Hmm...maybe *I* look mean??? :001_huh:

I've tried many, many things through the years (and the post-pregnancies) and going low carb has been the only thing that has worked for me. I did the South Beach diet once and lost all my tummy weight in 2 weeks. I recently discovered that I have a wheat sensitivity, so perhaps it's not the low carb so much as the fact that I don't eat wheat when I go low-carb. Within ONE DAY, I could tell a huge difference in my stomach. Within two days, I'd only lost 2 lbs, but I lost TWO INCHES from my stomach. And I was on vacation, so I was not exercising and not eating healthy...just no wheat. You might try going a few days avoiding wheat and see if you notice anything. Different foods trigger different people, so an elimination diet could be in order. Prior to cutting out wheat, I was eating less than 1200 calories a day and had been working out HARD, daily for 2 months....with no results.

As for hiding it, YES, I found tricks! First, v-necks only. No crew-necks! Fitted is more slimming than loose, but tight is less flattering than fitted. 3/4 sleeves are awesome, for some reason. Button-ups and vertical stripes are EXCELLENT. Wrap tops are lengthening. Here are some shirts:

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod1100083&parentId=cat60162&subcatId=cat730008

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod1000023&parentId=cat60162&subcatId=cat730008

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/product_detail_with_picker.jsp?productId=prod940057&parentId=cat60162&subcatId=cat730008

Spanx are incredible. I know you said you didn't have a good experience with girdles, but these are different. Honest. http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990106&cp=2992553.3010055&parentPage=family....it smooths everything without leaving ripples above or below and can even be worn under jeans.

Oh! Shoes with some heel, wedge sandals, etc. also help a bunch. They change posture and make us stand with our bellies less out-there.

hth!

This whole post is really interesting.

1. Dh recently went off of wheat completely. I did it w/ him for almost a week & lost 4lb. By then, though, I was in tears & crazy from it. I don't diet well, lol. I mean, I can diet enough to lose weight, but I don't follow regimented stuff very well.

Anyway, it's been about a month since then, & all last week, I could tell my stomach was even more swollen than usual. Enough that I googled wheat allergies. It was uncomfortable & weird. Finally, I made something w/out wheat at dinner time, & it seems better. But that means my suspicion is that wheat at dinner time bothers me. Which kind-of sounds like wheat at other times might be bothering me. Ugh.

2. I had to look up crew neck to see what y'all meant. Oh my goodness--that's all I wear! Monday when I went out, I was wearing a top like the ones you linked, except it was long-sleeved w/ contrasting colored collar & the same kind/color cuff. That used to be my favorite style top, but these days...most of them are made w/ a little spandex, & the buttons look all poppy. I am NOT one for over-tight stuff, not even when I was a teen.

3. Yeah...I feel better in some heeled shoes, I don't know about most of the time, but...this whole thread makes me feel better. I can start by being more careful w/ wheat for free, & then work on other things from there.

Thanks so much, ladies!

[quoteI wouldn't go overboard on it (some of the people get really into it and get really musclely (I know thats not a word :D), but it DOES burn the fat faster than any program I have been on before, and the program does show great results after only 12 weeks.

I just have to comment on this.

First, on looking to muscle-bound: there is absolutely no way that weight training will make you look manly. Girls that get muscle bound in magazines and ads do two things: take special supplements and get their body fat extremely low to look "muscle-ey!" The probably look like that a few weeks out of the year.

Second, the reason that Body for Life and weight training shows "great results" is that you are putting lean muscle on your body, and it is metabolizing the fat. Putting muscle on is a Good Thing, and very needed for most of us ladies who have ruined our metabolisms through low calorie dieting, lack of exercise, and quick fix diets. I have gotten more results through a few months of weight training than I have every gotten in the years of long cardio sessions and low calorie diets. Weight training is leaning out my body, and the fat just melts!

If you weight train, you will up your metabolism, fight off bone loss, get rid of ugly fat, feel stronger and more energetic, have a stronger sex drive, and generally just look HOTTER! Nope, you will never look like a man, unless you do extreme body-building with supplements and a specialized diet to get to extremely low body fat. God has not given you enough testosterone.

Personally, I think strength and a lean body is sexy. Nothing appealing about looking or feeling like a couch potato. :D

I hate to tell y'all this, but that avatar photo was taken over a yr ago, after I'd lost about 50lb. I'm around 20lb heavier than that pic right now, but mainly, it's the shape.

And I think that pic makes me look mean. Most pics do. Hmm...maybe *I* look mean??? :001_huh:

You absolutely don't look mean in that pic! You look like someone I want to get to know better!