Menu

Pet birds? Would you be grossed out if a neighbor brought their pet bird over and let it crawl over your outdoor children's toys? Is *pet* bird poop cleaner than wild bird poop?

Hypothetical...of course? ;)

I like birds. I like watching birds. I even like bird feeders. But having a bird on my shoulder or on my outside craft table might...if it were ever to happen;)...might gross me out.

Jo

I don't mind visiting people with birds, but it would seem odd to have someone bring their bird to my house. I'd probably wash things after, but that's just me. I love to visit my friend with a friendly parakeet, but it hasn't pooped on me yet. :D

ETA: It would seem like domestic bird poo would be less likely to contain parasites and such that wild birds could have. I'm with you, though, birds are best viewed at the bird feeder.

Doesn't bother me except they would not be allowed to bring there bird to my house. We already have birds.:tongue_smilie:

There are zoonotic diseases that can be transmitted from a pet bird to humans such as psittacosis(being the most common) but the stool is not nomrally the only transmitter for it.

If I did not have my own birds to worry about or my other critters eating their pet bird then I would ask them not to bring their bird over probaly. Main reason is that I would want to visit with my friend, not there bird.

As for having a bird on my shoulder. I never recommend it. i have seen to many disfigered faces and ears to do attacks of frightened or angry birds. I do allow my birds to hang onto the front of my shirt at times but mainly they are on my forearm or hand(preferred area).

I have irrational phobias, therefore I am?

Hi Jo :001_smile:

Bill :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Ok, I had to laugh at that one!

No, the bird thing would not bother me. And, getting pooped on by a 'domesticated' bird is probably no more gross than being pooped on by a bird out in the wild, which has happened to me before & I have lived to tell about it -- don't know if it had extremely good aim or if it just got lucky. I imagine there is a bird somewhere still telling jokes about the human he got. ;)

Point First: Why would someone bring a pet bird to your house, much less let it walk/poop all over the picnic table, outdoor toys, etc? Weird. And no *way* do I want someone's pet bird walking on my shoulder. Or their pet dog sniffing my crotch. Or their pet cat nuzzling my cheek. Whatever. You get the picture.;)

Point Second: Pet birds, imo, are a strange phenomenon. Actually, pets in general kinda strike me as strange. But, while I don't want to have a dog or a cat, at least I can understand (having had them as a child) the relationship that can develop there. But how does one develop a relationship with a pet bird? I just don't get the "why" of it. "Fly! Be free!" ~ kwim?

But how does one develop a relationship with a pet bird?

Depends on the type of bird. A parakeet? Not so much, imo. A larger bird such as an African Grey, or a cockatoo is quite easy to develop a bond with. Personally, if I had more time to devote, and older kids, I would own a Moluccan cockatoo or a grey over a dog or cat any day. Many are actually cuddly, as in they will lie on their backs in your hand and let you fluff their tummy feathers. :D Lots of work to owning a larger bird, but if a person has the time and inclination to do so, they are amazing creatures.

Oh, you have just never been exposed to the right pet birds. I grew up with birds in the house and remember them fondly as much as the family dog or cat. Actually, Buddy, our cockatiel, used to sit on the cat while the cat lay on the dog. The 3 of them were friends - Samantha, Chrispie and Buddy. He would play "cards" with you. Really, he dropped the cards, one by one off the table and watched them fall with fascination. When he was done with ALL 52, he'd squalk his fool head off and chase you down untill YOU picked all the cards up again and stacked them for the next game. Fun! :tongue_smilie:

My sister's parakeet used to pick the food out from between her teeth. Ewww...that is kinda gross. :D But he was awesome. My parakeet - Ricky - was a nut. He used to follow me around the house walking on the ground. I used to say to him, "Ricky, you can fly you dummy." But he never listened to me. Just followed me around and begged for me to pick him up. When I put my finger down on the ground he would run as fast as his little feet could carry him and jump on, finally happy I would let him sit on my shoulder. I loved Rickie. ( Until I moved in with my mom and her dog ate him :crying:) But seriously, birds are not gross and do not gross me out. But then.....I'm a farm girl.

I have held this bird. I'm not repulsed. I just think it is odd. It must be the nurse in me. Poop is poop. Properly disposed of it is a fact of life, but I don't go out of my way to put it on my children's outdoor toys. It seemed to be amusing to see a bird crawl through a Fisher Price car ramp, but all I could think about is my finger-sucking, two year old washing her hands in the very, very near future.

Okay, I admit it. I don't see the draw of a bird as a pet. I'm glad others have happy memories from them, though. It shows, once again, the differences amongst us- variety, some might say!

Jo

I hate pet birds, lol, but on *outdoor* stuff? Wouldn't bother me. Surely there are wild birds climbing and landing on those same things all the time?!?

It's when my MIL (who is thoroughly obsessive about cleaning her birds' cages, etc) lets her birds fly around in the house and they land on me and eat my textbooks (yes, that was in college more than ten years ago and I'm still cranky about it) and poop on her head (she wears a hat when they're flying around)... *That* grosses me out.

Outside, it doesn't bother me. Though I do think pet birds can be more dangerous than wild birds. Pet birds (even ones with no history) do bite people. Wild birds pretty much keep their distance.

But the cleanliness aspect of having a pet bird land on my outdoor stuff? No big deal to me. I'd be more worried about it landing on me / my children and potential bites. I think I would ask the neighbor not to bring her bird into my yard again.

Point First: Why would someone bring a pet bird to your house, much less let it walk/poop all over the picnic table, outdoor toys, etc? Weird. And no *way* do I want someone's pet bird walking on my shoulder. Or their pet dog sniffing my crotch. Or their pet cat nuzzling my cheek. Whatever. You get the picture.;)

Point Second: Pet birds, imo, are a strange phenomenon. Actually, pets in general kinda strike me as strange. But, while I don't want to have a dog or a cat, at least I can understand (having had them as a child) the relationship that can develop there. But how does one develop a relationship with a pet bird? I just don't get the "why" of it. "Fly! Be free!" ~ kwim?

I know my perspective is not the "usual" one on this topic, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

In our neighborhood, street noise is the reality. There is a lot of ordinary traffic noise due to the busy street half a block down. There are also a LOT of sirens due to the hospital on the busy street halfway down. (When we moved here I was so thankful to have the hospital close for emergencies but now I think a couple more blocks separation might feel better!) I can tune out the traffic and sirens decently well most of the time, but I cannot tune out the other, major source of street noise--dysfunctional people. In warm weather there are ALWAYS children on the street till about midnight, largely unsupervised, as well as young adults drinking/socializing. It is loud and abrasive, and the mother/social worker in me has a terribly difficult time tuning it out. The street noise is the number one reason we have seriously discussed moving. (Trying to sell our fixer-upper in this market is the number one reason we have discussed staying!)

In my case, my birds are there to cover the noise. I have NO desire to hold them or carry them or teach them tricks. I do let them fly free regularly, but only in my large bathroom so that I can sanitize it afterward. The thought of the birds pooing throughout my house or on my shoulder gives me the shivers.

I didn't realize how much the birds would help cover the street noise until I agree to pet-sit a friends' birds. I was amazed at how soothing their bird-chatter was to my ears. At some point later a different friend offered me two parakeets with all their gear--I was glad to have them, especially for free!

My birds chatter more when they hear music or water running or talking. In the summer I put them in a front window. If the street noise doesn't stimulate them to birdsong, I play some music. The combination of music and bird chatter is wonderfully soothing. I keep thinking about buying a tabletop fountain as well, to stimulate them to birdsong.

Just another perspective.

[

I have a Caique. He can be very cranky - we know by his calls/whistles and by those spinning orange eyes! But also, he can be the most loving and silly guy too, when he is happy, he make the most amazing calls and burbles, he talks to those he loves, he lies on his back and play fights with us, he cleans us. He is very easy to "read". He can come out and play when he behaves; though, he has bit all of us, but thats just part of the deal. I take him outside on my shoulder when I garden. He doesnt fly, so he gets in the grass and follows me. I think HE thinks he is keeping me safe from those pesky hawks that he is constantly on the lookout for! I also have a bird dog (Weimaraner) who has respect for the bird too.

Love him!

I am not sure. My uncle was hospitalized for a month and almost died after cleaning up bird poo in massive quanities from his flower bed. I am not even sure what he *got* from it...just that it made him very sick. So, I do know that bird poo is not the best thing to play around it. But with just 1 bird and you watching, a good cleaner and some paper towels should take care of any accidents.

That said, when I was 6, we had a pet bird (a blue one named J-Bazel). He lived in the house pooped literally all the time and we never got sick. :)

I have a parrot, he poops, I clean it up...does not gross me out at all. Not being a carnivore (ok, he does eat an occasional piece of chicken), his poop is not gross.

Well it's gross. But you do have a point - carnivorous poop is soooooooo much more smelly than vegetarian poop. And actually - I don't think bird poop even smells. But I don't want it anywhere in my house. I hate cat litter boxes as well.

I have a friend who has pet birds. They had babies. One night - they are covered with a blanket for night - I heard distress. I knew something was wrong before I saw a thing. Well one fell through the bottom of the cage - to the deep underneath where all the poop is on the newspaper. The baby bird was crying. The mom was freaking out looking at him, helpless.

It was so disgusting, but I didn't hesitate to lift up the cage and reach down in there (with all that poop) and give him back to his mother. And birds are smart. The mother (who I was afraid would hurt me) very gently pecked me. A love peck. She opened her beak and it was like a bite with no pressure AT ALL. I truly believe she was saying, "Thanks." (My own baby was just 5 weeks old - we were mothers bonding.....).

But I washed my hands repeatedly before I would touch my own baby again!

I have held this bird. I'm not repulsed. I just think it is odd. It must be the nurse in me. Poop is poop. Properly disposed of it is a fact of life, but I don't go out of my way to put it on my children's outdoor toys. It seemed to be amusing to see a bird crawl through a Fisher Price car ramp, but all I could think about is my finger-sucking, two year old washing her hands in the very, very near future.

So, I'm assuming you don't have outside birds flying around? I mean, it's rare that our picnic table DOESN'T have some bird poop on it. We honestly don't go around disposing of outdoor bird poop.

Story of the day that fits in with this:

Almost 4 year old nephew outside helping his daddy clean today. He decides that it is his job to clean the bird poop off the trash can---which he does by scraping it with his finger...............a bit later he proudly tells his dad, "I got all the bird poop off ALL BY MYSELF".

My brother tells him that is great and thank you for helping clean up (you know the stuff good parents say to preschool helpers) and nephew responds, "yep, I got it off by LICKING it".

:lol:

Story of the day that fits in with this:

Almost 4 year old nephew outside helping his daddy clean today. He decides that it is his job to clean the bird poop off the trash can---which he does by scraping it with his finger...............a bit later he proudly tells his dad, "I got all the bird poop off ALL BY MYSELF".

My brother tells him that is great and thank you for helping clean up (you know the stuff good parents say to preschool helpers) and nephew responds, "yep, I got it off by LICKING it".

:lol:

Please tell me you are kidding.

I have very strong dislike of birds. In my opinion, they are no better than bats and just as dangerous. My youngest brother and I both got Histoplasmosis (pretty rare disease) from birds when we were children. I got very ill was hopitalized and got better before they firgured out exactly what was wrong with me. I have nothing more than scars on my lungs to show for it. My brother, on the other hand, almost died. He lost half of one lung and was in the hospital for six months. He has a very large scar on his back and seriously reduced lung capacity. I would never own a pet bird nor would I spend extended time in a home with a bird. I also try to avoid aviaries and I am not too thrilled with birds being in pet stores either.

Did the bird actually poop? Bird owners usually clean up after their birds like dog owners do for their dogs.

In defense of birds, they can be as smart and companionable as dogs and cats and much better behaved.

I tell people about my phobias though so I don't end up in situations I'm uncomfortable in. I don't want people's dogs running around in my yard trampling my plants or pooping all over, so I ask people to keep them home. You could do this with your bird friend too.

But, I think birds are much cleaner animals and even cleaner than most kids, and I'm a total animal phobic person. I can handle birds and fish and that is about it.

I would not be grossed out - especially since we're talking about an outdoor play area that wild birds are just as likely (more likely, actually) to poop on. I'd clean it & forget about it.

Then again, I'm not phased by much these days...we live in the country & have had a variety of animals in and out of the house, so I've learned not to be grossed out easily. Also, we have pet birds now and in the past have started our baby chicks 'n ducks indoors (now they are messy!). I do make my kids wash their hands after handling the birds, but that's about it.

I would not be grossed out - especially since we're talking about an outdoor play area that wild birds are just as likely (more likely, actually) to poop on. I'd clean it & forget about it.

Then again, I'm not phased by much these days...we live in the country & have had a variety of animals in and out of the house, so I've learned not to be grossed out easily. Also, we have pet birds now and in the past have started our baby chicks 'n ducks indoors (now they are messy!). I do make my kids wash their hands after handling the birds, but that's about it.

I guess that's whay I'm not understanding here. The bird wasn't brought in the house. It's like someone walking their new dog over to show a friend. I don't like dogs, but I would understand my friend wanted to share her excitement with me about her dog. And, there are far more birds hanging out in our backyard than dogs. ;) Now, if only I could get the birds to stop pooping on my van. :glare:

I have two parrots and would never consider taking them to someone else's house. I do allow ours to free flight in our home. Because we know their temperament and are not sure of other people, we lock them in their cages when visitors arrive.

We will allow one to come out and sometimes the other.

Bringing pets to another person's house unless you have agreed to pet sit annoys me. We have had friends show up with their dogs with out asking. It's one thing is you ask me. I don't usually have a problem when I am asked.

Right ParrotHead...:lol: I like Baxter though...:001_smile:

That is a "pet" peeve...no pun intended.

We have one bird that is trained to not go poo on people. The other bird is still learning not to potty on people.

It wouldn't bother me per se, but we have birds.

Didn't read the replies, but I would I would clean whatever surfaces the bird had been on afterwards, maybe just give it a swipe with a Clorox wipe or something.

Having said that, I currently have ducks living in my house, and in the past I have had in my house at various times: dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, praying mantids, cateripillars/butterflies, and lizards. So I'm not anti-animals, just I think it is common sense to clean (and definitely wash your hands) afterwards.