Menu

Calf BIRTH Pictures. Don't come in unless you want to see :)

As requested, I am posting the birth pictures on here, because the other link requires registration. They are not gross, but it is a birth.

Do not scroll down unless you want to see a calf being born.

Okay? They are coming right up.

Here she is, from start to finish, lol. He is like his mom--you can definitely see the Jersey in his head, and the rest of him looks like a Guernsey. I guess he is 1/4 Jersey and 3/4 Guernsey.

This first picture is of her having a contraction.

SweetheartCalving002.jpg

SweetheartCalving004.jpg

In the above picture, his two front feet are out. I was happy to see them turned the right way. If something else had presented, or if the feet were turned the other way, we would have run to get help fast.

SweetheartCalving006.jpg

SweetheartCalving008.jpg

SweetheartCalving010.jpg

The calf hung there for maybe 3-5 minutes--or more. I was about to lose my mind.

SweetheartCalving016.jpg

SweetheartCalving035.jpg

SweetheartCalving039.jpg

Dh helped him get on his feet. Isn't it cute!

Edited by Tracy in Ky

The tags on this thread are hysterical! lol. "Who needs an epidural" That is great!

I'll try to get a nursing photo. It really is cute, although it wasn't cute last night. Little mister couldn't figure out how to nurse, and it is critical that they get colostrum within 2-3 hours of birth. I called my dairy friend, and he told me that is what they call a "dumb calf." Poor little thing.

So dh and I had to go to the pasture, and while I held the light, he had to milk out colostrum so we could bottle feed the baby. I was scared that Sweetheart, in her protective new mother mode would plow dh over. But she didn't. That was stressful. (I had a whopper of a headache by evening.)

By morning the baby had figured it out and had been nursing.. God is good :) I really didn't want to bottle feed another calf right now!

The tags on this thread are hysterical! lol. "Who needs an epidural" That is great!

I'll try to get a nursing photo. It really is cute, although it wasn't cute last night. Little mister couldn't figure out how to nurse, and it is critical that they get colostrum within 2-3 hours of birth. I called my dairy friend, and he told me that is what they call a "dumb calf." Poor little thing.

So dh and I had to go to the pasture, and while I held the light, he had to milk out colostrum so we could bottle feed the baby. I was scared that Sweetheart, in her protective new mother mode would plow dh over. But she didn't. That was stressful. (I had a whopper of a headache by evening.)

By morning the baby had figured it out and had been nursing.. God is good :) I really didn't want to bottle feed another calf right now!

Just out of curiosity, how much colostrum does a cow have at first?

Just a question -- if he's 'kinda dumb', does his mother have sufficient access to selenium? We've found that a lot of times the 'dumb' calves are selenium deficient. We don't see many anymore since we treat all the cows with a selenium injection in the last month of pregnancy.

Of course, some of them still are just dumb ;)

I'm really not sure how much is in there. Maybe a gallon per quarter? We milked out almost two quarts of colostrum tonight--just to relieve some pressure from one side. There is more than the calf needs, because she is a dairy breed. The calf takes probably 2 quarts per feeding or so.

When her milk comes in in a couple of days, she'll probably be giving about 5 gallons a day to start. Thatsalotofmilk!!!! :w00t:

Just a question -- if he's 'kinda dumb', does his mother have sufficient access to selenium? We've found that a lot of times the 'dumb' calves are selenium deficient. We don't see many anymore since we treat all the cows with a selenium injection in the last month of pregnancy.

Of course, some of them still are just dumb ;)

I'm pretty sure our area is not selenium deficient--I think I remember checking into that. He has caught on now though; he was just slow to start. lol.

Just out of curiosity, how much colostrum does a cow have at first?

"As a general rule of thumb, a calf should receive 5 to 6 percent of the its body weight as colostrum within the first six hours of life. That same amount should be fed again when the calf is about 12 hours old. For an 80-pound calf, this equates to approximately 2 quarts of colostrum per feeding,"

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/rolette/colostrum.html

As a CLC I am a lactation junkie- humans or animals, it doesn't matter!

"As a general rule of thumb, a calf should receive 5 to 6 percent of the its body weight as colostrum within the first six hours of life. That same amount should be fed again when the calf is about 12 hours old. For an 80-pound calf, this equates to approximately 2 quarts of colostrum per feeding,"

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/rolette/colostrum.html

As a CLC I am a lactation junkie- humans or animals, it doesn't matter!

Lol--well there you go! :D

My dd wants to know what the calf's name is. She suggests Sweetieboy, but that might get him beaten up by the other calves during recess. :lol:

Lol--well, we aren't naming him, because we are going to raise him for beef. The children are instructed to pour out their calf love on Izzy, who is more than happy to receive it. lol.