Menu

Books to begin a new baby's library- shower gift ideas

For Australian kids I'd say "Blinky Bill," "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie," and "Possum Magic." All kids everywhere should have a copy of "Animalia."

:)

Rosie

Because of your post I rechecked the invitation! It didn't exactly specify a board book. I thereby insist on adding Animalia to their library. Brilliant. Hip, hip, hooray for Rosie.:001_smile:

I'm also throwing in Moo, Baa by Boyton...because I love Boyton and I can recite that book by heart. ;)

Thanks everyone. Now you can just pray that Amazon will get it here by this weekend. :)

Jo

Because of your post I rechecked the invitation! It didn't exactly specify a board book. I thereby insist on adding Animalia to their library. Brilliant. Hip, hip, hooray for Rosie.:001_smile:

I'm also throwing in Moo, Baa by Boyton...because I love Boyton and I can recite that book by heart. ;)

Thanks everyone. Now you can just pray that Amazon will get it here by this weekend. :)

Jo

Jo,

The Pearl City Walmart used to stock Boynton books. I remember getting a four pack of board books there. You might also look for Aloha Shirt Colors, my favorite Hawaiian board book.

Tammy Yee books are also nice if you want local flavor. Try the Baby Honu books or Island Style Alphabet. You can also find most of these in the Pearl Harbor Exchange. (Just in case your Amazon order doesn't come through.) Or you could use this as an excuse to visit Target!!

Good Night Moon

Big Red Barn

Runaway Bunny

Rock a bye farm

Guess How much I love you

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Usborne Has some really nice board books Train Stories for a boy, That's Not My Fairy for a girl are a couple that come to mind.

Is your mama a llama

Jamberry

Good Night Gorilla

The Napping House

It's not a board book, but I bought this for my nephew that just turned 1 (we also bought a big basket of books for the baby shower my SIL had and she loved it)

The House on East 88th Street, by Waber. This is the one that starts it all for Lyle the Crocodile. My kids loved it and we now own all the Lyle books.

Goodnight Moon and The Big Red Barn - definitely!

Piggies - Audry Wood

Jamberry - Bruce Degan

The Bear and The Strawberry ( not sure if t his is the right title) - Audry Woods

The Biggest Bear

Blueberries for Sal

But Not the Hippopatamus ( and others by her) Sandra Boynton

If I think of any others, I'll let you know! There's so many!

melissa

I *love* Time for Bed by Mem Fox. It's such a wonderful bedtime story. I like it much better than Goodnight Moon.

From Usborne, I love Panda In The Park. My kids have all loved that one and I give it away a lot.

A favorite author of mine is Lynley Dodd. She's from New Zealand, I believe, and her books are fun to read. My favorite is probably Slinky Malinki.

The James Herriott Treasury for Children is another wonderful book that every child should have.

Isaac's favorite is Diggers, an Usborne Touchy-Feely

Well, I can tell you the books I wish I'd had when dc were tiny:

Trelease, Read Aloud Handbook

Kathleen Odean, Great Books for Babies and Toddlers

any decent Mother Goose edition

Yes! I was also going to suggest The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

Two other great books for little ones:

The Piggy in the Puddle by Charlotte Pomerantz

and

Black on White by Tana Hoban

Also have your friend request the Chinaberry catalog.

Regards,

Kareni