Menu

Have you heard of this workbox system?

I saw this workbox system mentioned on the FIAR message board, and I am very curious about it. It looks very interesting. The basic premise is that you buy a rolling cart and 12 small boxes for each child. Then you put a different item for them to complete for the day in each box. Anything from school work to an educational DVD to a card that says "20 minutes of computer time". The people on FIAR are raving about it. One of the best things about it is accountability. And it stops the kids from saying "How much longer?" and "What can I do next?" I love the idea of actually getting things like educational games done during the day. You can even do one for your preschooler to give them plenty of fun stuff to do during the day. The only thing that I don't like about it is the space it would take up. And I only have 3 children. But some people on FIAR are tweaking the system and using a milk crate with envelopes for each child.

So anyway, I was just wondering if any of you have heard of or used this system? It looks very interesting!!

Never heard of it. It sounds intriguing (well, all new systems and tips sound intriguing to me, lol), but her site gives precious little info on it. Nowhere near enough to consider buying even the book, imo. I'm going to see if Amazon has and sample pages . . .

here's a link to the the most detailed description I found, along with pics:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/LeslieNelsen/

As is, I think the system would be most helpful for the FIAR crowd or kids with special needs. It could be fun for bigs who can read, but it looks like a fair amount of work for mom or dad to maintain.

I don't think I'd attempt the whole nine yards with my two; they are 3rd and 5th and follow a schedule with no problems. But it might be fun to have, say, 2 or 3 workboxes that are opened only after they are done with their normal lesson time and bookwork.

Slacker mom that I am, I'd probably have them share the workboxes. We have multiple computers and work areas, so that's not a problem.

Hmmm, can you link the FIAR discussion?

I read through the discussion too but we already use a checklist/binder and with the desk apprentice I have pretty much everything we need at our fingertips and ds works almost completely independently. The little guy has a binder too but he obviously is not ready to go it alone yet! :D Plus I only have to set up their binders once a week where this box idea would have me setting it up every night. :tongue_smilie:

Here are some links:

http://www.vegaadoption.blogspot.com/

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/LeslieNelsen

http://ginger-snap-shots.blogspot.com/2009/02/workboxes.html

http://myfamilyliferocks.blogspot.com/2009/03/workboxes.html

I am a very visual person and this idea would have helped me if I'd been homeschooled, I think. I can see the kids being interested in it for awhile, but the novelty may wear off. On the other hand, it may be just what dd needs to keep her focused.

It would be more work on the part of mom, but it may be worth it. I may try it with setting things on bookshelves before investing in clear containers. (I can really see the appeal of *seeing* what work you have left rather than just putting things in envelopes or magazine holders.)

Thanks for providing those links!

I think we will just continue to use our Desk Apprentices and check off sheets. It is working right now. But I might get one large basket or box and put several games/DVDs/crafts in there for them to work on during the week.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I haven't heard of that particular set-up, but we've done jars with little strips of paper (almost like fortune cookies), so a child can reach in and pull out the next assignment at random. It works best if you mix in a few fun things and crazy things (have a snack; run around the outside of the house three times; play a game of Sleeping Queens with Mommy) along with the more "typical" things (do a math lesson; review your Latin flash cards)... We've done it occasionally during summers or other times when our usual daily set-up was less important to me, but the kids still needed some structure. It felt a little more mysterious / adventurous than our usual days. :)

I think the concept is great.

My question is: for those subjects done each day like math, phonics, handwriting, etc. do they put those books back in the bin or what? I wouldn't want to deal with having to have 2 storage places for them.

I understand the concept of "emptying the box" though so not sure where they'd put the every day books.

I'll be looking into this more!

If I am understanding this system, I feel that we achieve the same thing with a daily checklist. I simply put the materials the kids are going to need for the day on their desks though, instead of a bin. The workbox idea looks fun but I wouldn't want to take up the space with it.

Lisa

here's a link to the the most detailed description I found, along with pics:

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/LeslieNelsen/

As is, I think the system would be most helpful for the FIAR crowd or kids with special needs. It could be fun for bigs who can read, but it looks like a fair amount of work for mom or dad to maintain.

I don't think I'd attempt the whole nine yards with my two; they are 3rd and 5th and follow a schedule with no problems. But it might be fun to have, say, 2 or 3 workboxes that are opened only after they are done with their normal lesson time and bookwork.

Slacker mom that I am, I'd probably have them share the workboxes. We have multiple computers and work areas, so that's not a problem.

Hmmm, can you link the FIAR discussion?

Interesting. BUT I'm wondering if the littles would leave it alone or destroy it inbetween lessons --another thing to manage and organize? BUT if they'd leave it alone I'd already be at Target.

Hmmm, this might be good for my youngest child. He has some learning issues and a checklist just does not work with him. I could see him doing better with a system like this. I don't think I need a whole book to follow it, but I might try putting his workbooks and such in some sort of containers for him to empty.

If I had to do 12 boxes per child we would not have any free space in our classroom though. I wonder how long it will be before the sheer size and visual clutter of this system begins to wear on the patience of some of these very excited bloggers?

I have been using the same system for years without using boxes. I place each of my children's books in a nice neat stack in the center of our dining room table. The kids are to start with the top books and work down. Once they complete a subject, they put that subjects books on the bookshelf. This way they have a visual of how many subjects are left to do.

Blessings

Zoraida

I decided that we are going to implement this system, but I am tweaking it a bit. I am using old cereal boxes to store their assignments. We are having a great time decorating the boxes. Then we will just store them on our school bookshelf. I will post pics when we get it done.

The idea is making me crazy. :) I am just afraid I would not keep up with it. The idea of filling 48 boxes every day seems insane, but I know my kids would really benefit from it. So, I am back and forth in my mind on how I can make this work. I was reading about it right before I went to bed last night and guess what I dreamed about :tongue_smilie:

Joy

The idea is making me crazy. :) I am just afraid I would not keep up with it. The idea of filling 48 boxes every day seems insane, but I know my kids would really benefit from it. So, I am back and forth in my mind on how I can make this work. I was reading about it right before I went to bed last night and guess what I dreamed about :tongue_smilie:

Joy

I know that putting their actual books and such into boxes would drive me insane, and my kids are old enough, and their personalities are such, that they don't need the visual to this extent. Mine are 3rd & 5th, but I can certainly see where a younger or more visually oriented child might really benefit from the whole nine yards.

My idea at this point is to continue with our list as usual for the basic subjects, and use the boxes for enrichment/extras. I know that my kids would enjoy the bit of excitement from seeing what's in the boxes each day, and I think the visual and mental reminders of putting it and seeing it in the box will keep ME more on task with the extras.

So, I'm thinking:

*assigned reading books

*read aloud books

*task cards for time on the computer, typing practice, etc

*a game piece to indicate the game

*cuisenaire rods

and stuff like that.

I read about this on the FIAR boards last week and was intrigued. I decided to give it a go. I do not use the boxes or the rack. I use one plastic box for each child and then fill them up with the large ziploc bags. I am starting out with 10 bags and will see if this is too much or not If it is, then I will just take away a few bags. I put the boxes on our shelves and it doesn't take up much room at all.

I like this idea for a few reasons: 1) I need something for the younger ones to do when I am working with my oldest. I am finding that, even though I put out things for them to do on their shelves and continually remind them that those activities are there, they still run off to their bedrooms and play. I want our morning time to be learning time. 2) My oldest is always complaining that she only does 'work' and never has time for the fun stuff. In doing the workbox (or in my case, workbag :D) system, I can include some fun stuff for her to do. 3)Everything is included in the bags so it is more independent for the kids. If they are going to paint, all of the materials that they need are in the bag so I don't have to go and find everythng for them and interrupt my time with a child.

In the bags I have their 3 R's, things they can do on their own(colouring pages, sticker books), things they can do with a sibling (play game, read a book) art activities and science experiments (basic ones.)

We haven't started this yet. That happens tomorrow. I do have everything set up, though. The down side to this is the time it takes to fill the bags. It took me a long time to fill them yesterday. They say on the FIAR boards that it takes time in the beginning but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take much time at all. Well, time will tell. I keep telling myself that if it solves my dilemma, then the time taken will be worth it.

Prairie Girl,

That is a great idea with the big ziplock bags. What size did you end up getting? Just the gallon size? I bought the download for the book last week and have been mulling over how to implement it. I wasn't wild about going out and buying all of those boxes right off the bat. The bags give me a way to try it without investing too much.

I'm thinking that my oldest will get some of the "fun" stuff too this way. Also it should help me have things for them to do while I'm taking care of the baby.

The ziploc bag idea is great, Prairiegirl! One I can afford. Thank you!

I bought the download yesterday and read it. I thought it was worth the money even though I'm not quite sure if implementing the workbox system exactly her way would work for us. We do a few courses as a family (latin, history, science) so not quite sure how the twelve buckets would fit into this unless I made cards that just said the course and one of the "with mom" cards. And with our budget right now, purchasing all that stuff and getting it laminated isn't going to happen.

But what I plan on doing is implementing some of her ideas because I do think it will help with the kids' individual work and all those things I want to have them to, but run out of time or forget to pull out. Putting in a "Fun" bag or a card for them to practice typing on a site they like will break up things for my oldest two. They always say their youngest sibling gets to have all the fun!

Reading the workbox ebook really has made me reconsider how we've been storing our things and my planning our day, too. I'm going to take one of our portable 4-shelf book cases out of the playroom and move it to the dinette area (we're we do school) and try to organize things a bit better. I'm thinking one shelf for each child and the other shelf for me. Right now we each have a plastic milk crate container and someone is always yelling, "Where's my insert-book-here?" And sometimes, I'm ashamed to admit, it's me!

I'm just not sure how long this is going to take me!

Another idea that might work for those who want to try this system but are short on space. I have library pockets(you know those little pockets that used to be glued to the inside of library books years ago) that I picked up for a few $$ at the teacher store. I use them to hold chores, but you can use them for this. Take 12 pockets and number them. Then you can write the activity on an index card and can put one card into each pocket. All 12 can be clipped together to hold them in 1 place when not in use, Even a family of 8 kids would have room to hold 8 bundles of 12 little library pockets in a very small space. You can keep your books where ever you normally store them, pull out the extra stuff needed for games, crafts etc and keep it in 1 bin on the table or counter for easy access and away you go. The kids still get the visual cues of the books getting put away, and card disappearing, but you don't have the pain of several carts of buckets, organizing the bins each night etc.

This looks great. I just ordered the ebook and am waiting for my email. I hope it doesn't take a whole 6 hours.

This looks like what I need to finally use all the extra supplemental activities, games and puzzles I always put off and never do.

I will give a review once I read the book and try it out.

Prairie Girl,

That is a great idea with the big ziplock bags. What size did you end up getting? Just the gallon size? I bought the download for the book last week and have been mulling over how to implement it. I wasn't wild about going out and buying all of those boxes right off the bat. The bags give me a way to try it without investing too much.

I'm thinking that my oldest will get some of the "fun" stuff too this way. Also it should help me have things for them to do while I'm taking care of the baby.

Keri, I live in Canada so we don't do gallons here. The bags I got were Glad: Grip'n'Seal Freezer bags--the large size (this doesn't help you but it's the 3.79

litre size)

The boxes I got were bigger than the shoe boxes that is described on the webpage so the bags fit just perfectly. I can't give you the size of the boxes cause, again, it won't help you. ;)

What I like about doing it this way is that if it doesn't work out, I can still use these boxes and bags for other things, so I haven't wasted my money.

I see Target has a 5 drawer sterilite tower on sale for $13 this week. I rather have 7 drawers but thinking that I could use the 5 drawer with a small file box on top for the worksheet type things or thin books. I could still put the velcro numbers on the front of the box and on each file folder.

I have 3 kids to set up for so looking for more compact storage ideas and I like the stacked drawer idea.

Just wanted to share. :)

The girls and I have been decorating cereal boxes like crazy this weekend. My parents and a couple of my friends are saving their boxes, too. Here a couple of the pics:

post-1032-13535082831684_thumb.jpg

post-1032-13535082832092_thumb.jpg

Sorry the lighting is not great, but you get the idea. We are using wrapping paper and scrapbook paper that I had. We've made six for each of the older girls and three for Cora so far. I am hoping for 10-12 for Anna, 8 or so for Emma and probably 5 or 6 for Cora.

Let me know what you think!

post-1032-13535082831684_thumb.jpg

post-1032-13535082832092_thumb.jpg

Interesting system but I think a little overkill on the plastic containers. I make a weekly list of tasks and we have a plastic center with shelves labled Mon through Fri and all the paperwork goes in the bin for each day. In the AM each child gets their work. The kids are independent workers so the list is good. I can see this workbox system working for kids that are younger.

Interesting system but I think a little overkill on the plastic containers. I make a weekly list of tasks and we have a plastic center with shelves labled Mon through Fri and all the paperwork goes in the bin for each day. In the AM each child gets their work. The kids are independent workers so the list is good. I can see this workbox system working for kids that are younger.

I think the idea is mainly to have clear containers... and to have a visual for kids. Some of us have to see things to be motivated to DO them;o)

Those boxes are so cute. Almost inspires me to buy cereal. :001_smile:

I have been considering using magazine holder because I do have alot of those that are unused right now and they would fit on a shelf I already have neatly. That way I wouldn't have to invest a whole bunch of money on things that will take up more space. Now if I could just wrap my brain around filling all those boxes everyday.

Joy

Today was our first day with our bags. It was a hit! The kids loved doing school this way. I saw benefit from doing it this way, too. The kids were totally occupied for the whole morning. It was wonderful!

The not-so-wonderful thing is the filling of the bags. It took me an hour and a half to fill them the first time. Today it took me an hour so I am cutting down on the time but, still, this is a lot of work. I am hoping that I can cut down more time as the week goes on. If not, I am thinking of not doing as many bags and use them for only the fun things, not the 3 R's. Time will tell.

Today was our first day with our bags. It was a hit! The kids loved doing school this way. I saw benefit from doing it this way, too. The kids were totally occupied for the whole morning. It was wonderful!

The not-so-wonderful thing is the filling of the bags. It took me an hour and a half to fill them the first time. Today it took me an hour so I am cutting down on the time but, still, this is a lot of work. I am hoping that I can cut down more time as the week goes on. If not, I am thinking of not doing as many bags and use them for only the fun things, not the 3 R's. Time will tell.

Can you tell me what your bags are? Are they ziplock bags in a box or something else? Just curious as I explore this option.

And wow-an hour to pack them! I have 3 to set this up for too and I certainly wasn't thinking it would take an hour a night. But I suppose it gets faster once you get used to it....I hope so!

Thanks

Ann

Those boxes are so cute. Almost inspires me to buy cereal. :001_smile:

I have been considering using magazine holder because I do have alot of those that are unused right now and they would fit on a shelf I already have neatly. That way I wouldn't have to invest a whole bunch of money on things that will take up more space. Now if I could just wrap my brain around filling all those boxes everyday.

Joy

I'm also debating about the magazine holder idea. I tried something like this 2 yrs ago but didn't have any visuals or numbered order on the boxes, etc. It didn't really work for my son but I think with some more details/explaination it might work better now.

I'm also not sure where I could line up that many magazine file boxes though-I was thinking 6 boxes for each child but that's 18 boxes! I think I may have just talked myself out of that :001_huh: ;)

I have tried this concept informally for a little while. At first it took lots of time to fill the boxes, but I found that if I kept certain supply sets in their own baggie, then I could just pop that set into the box quickly (the clay set, the painting set, the puzzle set, etc.). Also, since my dd is a little older (10yo), I keep all her school books on the shelf where I normally kept them but drop a decorated card into the box with the name of the subject and book and then add a sticky note with the actual assignment. I also make up a snack "set" baggie and pop it into the box occasionally when I am busy making dh's lunch for work. Dd doesn't see me do this so it is a big surprise.

We have drifted away from the system as dd is now in overdrive and only wants to get her academic work done so she can be finished with school for the year. However, I am considering reactivating the workbox system during the summer to provide a little structure and to make sure those flash cards, worksheets, and summer reading assignments actually happen this year!

I must be missing something....can someone explain this better? I don't really understand the website and why are there 12 boxes???

If you just get the ebook, is everything you need included if I make my own laminated signs?

I'm not getting the jist of this, just that there are 12 boxes and kids and can see the work that they need to do so they do it independently? Can someone do an overall explanation please?

This looks like it would work for my kid to get started while I shower????

I must be missing something....can someone explain this better? I don't really understand the website and why are there 12 boxes???

If you just get the ebook, is everything you need included if I make my own laminated signs?

I'm not getting the jist of this, just that there are 12 boxes and kids and can see the work that they need to do so they do it independently? Can someone do an overall explanation please?

The boxes are mainly a visual thing. Kids can see them full vs empty. The author also has a son with learning disabilities I think and the boxes worked to break down the steps of certain activities.

The number 12 was for the number of things to accomplish-again-because one activity may be broken down in more than 1 step you may only have 6 completed activities.

Many people are using the stackable drawers or envelopes or file folders instead of the boxes. Many are using whatever number works for them. I think I may start with 6 or 8.

If you look at some of the blogs linked that will give you some more ideas too.

I'll take a stab at this. I haven't read the book, but I've read a lot of the threads about this. My understanding of the system is:

You have a small bookcase that holds 12 clear shoeboxes (no lids). You label each box w/ a number from 1 to 12 & put them on the shelves (for example, boxes 1 to 4 on the top shelf, 5 to 8 on the middle shelf, and 9 to 12 on the bottom shelf). Then, you -- the teacher, fill each box w/ an assignment for the next day. If it is something that requires additional supplies, also include those items in the box too (so you don't have to interrupt the flow of work to go hunt down items). You don't have to do 12 boxes -- vary the number according to your needs and the day.

So, for example, your boxes might be filled as follows:

#1: Math textbook w/ a post-it noting which lesson/pages to do.

#2: Grammar book w/ a post-it w/ which pages to do.

#3: A library book that you're doing as a read-aloud.

#4: A craft that relates to your science project -- maybe it includes a worksheet, some construction paper, glue, scissors, and a magazine for cutting out pictures.

#5: Review cards of your Latin vocabulary for the week.

#6: An outlining assignment you have for composition.

#7: A jump rope, a timer, and a note for 15 minutes of play time/PE time outside.

#8: Art card for your artist study of the week.

#9: History video you want to watch.

#10: Book for silent reading time, plus a note to read a certain # of chapters or for a set amount of time.

#11: Spelling book & list of words to study.

#12: Math-related card game to play w/ a sibling.

As the child finishes each task, they stack the bin in another location (maybe by your desk?) &/or remove the number from the front of the bin. This way kids can see their progress & see how much more they need to do. Fun things interspersed throughout the bins could/should help motivate them to get through the tougher subjects.

Also, I think there are laminated strips where you can put velcro dots so the kids can remove the numbers from the bins & put them on the strips to indicate they are done. You can also prefill some of the blocks on the strips to include things like a snack break, or lunch, or whatever other things you may want. So, after the first three blank spaces, you might fill the next block w/ a small card that says 'snack break'. After the snack, they would continue w/ their boxes & continue moving the numbers from the boxes to the strips until they come to another 'break' or note.

Some things filling your boxes will be the standard 'core' subjects. Use the additional boxes to put in fun/supplemental things that you always mean to get around to but just don't seem to..... Some ideas of 'fun' extras: a game, a cooking activity, a craft, art supplies, handicraft project (I'm considering doing hand sewing w/ my dd & would put in a book, supplies, & have her start on a project for something like 20-30 minutes; the project would show up in the bin again until it is completed), a notecard or stationery so you can write a letter or note to a relative or friend, binoculars/sketch book/pencils for outdoor nature observation time, note that you're going on a field trip, and so on.

Anyway, that's just my understanding of it all. I've been mulling it over for a few days myself to see how it might work for our family.

Glad to hear the bags are working for you. I found 2.5 gallon bags at Walmart, but haven't had time to implement things yet! Sure hope you're time to fill them keeps declining!

And whoever asked about the ebook, you get a password to the website where you can download all the things you need to print out and then laminate.

I have a question for those of you who have already gotten/read the book -- are the planning pages helpful? Are you using them to plan what you'll put into the boxes each week? Or, are you sticking w/ your previous planning method &/or winging it?

Thanks!

I found the 2.5 gallon bags too. We are going to try it with those. I'm gearing up to start next week. I told my kiddos about it and their eyes lit up when the heard that they will know what is next and how long they have to go. :)

Prariegirl I'd be interested to hear if you time for filling the bags decreases. :)

Thanks Stacia and Ann in IA.

This looks like it would be a great way to get fun/academic things used that I forget about as well.

That is my main goal. I have so much stuff that I really want to use, but we never get to it. I think this system will really help with that!

I have a question for those of you who have already gotten/read the book -- are the planning pages helpful? Are you using them to plan what you'll put into the boxes each week? Or, are you sticking w/ your previous planning method &/or winging it?

I would like to know the answer to this question too :)

We have completed 4 days with the bags and it has been a successful experiment. An experiment that we will continue. Our learning time flows so much easier now. The kids have been occupied for the full 3 hours of our learning time. I no longer hear "What can I do now? Can I go play with my Barbies?" The time that I work with each child is now relatively uninterrupted. The kids are really enjoying their 'bag time' as well. They look forward to the surprises that await them in their bags. Another plus is that my girls are getting art/craft activities just about every day. They enjoy this part of the 'bag time.'

I am also relieved that I have been able to whittle down the filling time to half an hour. I can live with a half an hour.

Nakia I love the boxes you made!! Makes me want to go get some cereal!! I may use this method with my 13 yo daugther...she'd love the cute boxes on her shelves. DId you use fabric or paper??

I would love to see photos of everyone elses systems.

We are working on ours. I broke down and bought a cheap laminator from walmart. I am going to use the shoebox method that Sue Patrick reccommends for my boys ages 5&8. I think that would be best for them.

Nakia I love the boxes you made!! Makes me want to go get some cereal!! I may use this method with my 13 yo daugther...she'd love the cute boxes on her shelves. DId you use fabric or paper??

We used scrapbook paper because that's what I have here. Fabric or wrapping paper would work too!