Menu

What haven't you gotten to this year???

Wow, does this sound familiar. I had plans for art appreciation, but we haven't done much of it. Thankfully, dd is taking an art class at co-op. We dropped Latin temporarily to work on French. Now, we aren't doing either of them! I'd be behind in science too, but we do that during the summer.

We haven't gotten to artistic pursuits, but that doesn't mean we haven't done art. I teach art classes at the local art center so my kids get their fair share of art making and art history by going there with me. The main thing we haven't done too much with is Winter Promise Children Around the World. We just never have time...although when we have done it the kids LOVE it!

Sorry for the hijack...I'm just thinking that all of us struggling to do art should just commit to doing art once (say in the next couple of weeks). Then we can break this vicious cycle and start doing it more regularly, like twice a year? :D

Anyone want to join me? It sure would make my kids happy (even as I type my 6 yo is reading this over my shoulder and asking "Can I do art?") - guilt, guilt, guilt!

Edited by sandra in va

well, art of course.:D As well as only 8 lessons in latin, and 3 lessons in french, and 15 science experiments and 2 chapters read in bird science.

I recently told my kids that I'm not teaching them art. I'll get them books and provide materials but it's up to them if they want to learn.

I've also pared down to the basics. Math, writing(spelling and a tiny bit of grammar), and reading. I'm having them read lit., science, and history. I'm hoping to get rid of the guilt. CM is all well and good in theory but it lays a massive guilt trip on me. All of that best of this and that nature study and hand work in the afternoons. ACK! It's just too much. So, I'm aiming for the basics and that's all I'm doing. ;)

We started out the year with lots of holes, but I think I filled the last one up with in the last month. Just in time for our move and for it all to fly out the window!

We didn't get to foreign language, but that's because my sister is giving us her Rosetta Stone as soon as she finishes it! :toetap05:

Piano lessons. I've decided to hire out, even though I can teach beginning piano myself. If we pay someone, it will get done.

Art--less than I wanted. It seems silly to get upset about missing it at this age, though. We have AP and of the lessons we have done, I tell them what the project is and start doing it, and they take the same supplies and just do whatever they want with them. Note to self: spend money earmarked for lower elementary art to buy more art supplies instead.