Menu

MBTI type--N or S?

MBTI Type--Are you a S or an N?  

1. 1. MBTI Type--Are you a S or an N?

• S
    • N

If you don't know your MBTI type, you can find out for free here (it calls it the Jung Typology Test.) http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm The test will give you a 4 letter type, I'm interested in the second letter right now, it will be an N or a S.

I'm thinking that there will be a lot more N's here than in the general population, and that there will be more N's here than S's. Based on 1998 data, 26.7% of the U.S. population is estimated to be an N, while 73.4% is estimated to be a S.

A bit of my thoughts about how MBTI type influences learning are here:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Other/personalitytypea.html

Those of you who are N's who have S children, how have you dealt with that? (I have no idea about my daughter, she's a bit too young to type yet, just asking!)

Edited by ElizabethB

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and I haven't had trouble dealing with the S's in my family...my dh and two younger sons. They are practical people and I appreciate that; perhaps sometimes I feel a bit misunderstood, or rather not understood at all.:001_smile:

Actually, my oldest son is the other N, an INTP, and while we are sometimes like-minded, he can exasperate me (but I think that is more of the P part of his personality rather than the N!)

INFP.

No idea what that means, I'll have to read about it.

Still trying to find out what it means, but I'm in good company!

Immanual Kant, William Shakespeare, Ludwig Beethoven, Pearl Buck, Arthur C. Clark

and from the other site:

Homer

Virgil

Mary, mother of Jesus

St. John, the beloved disciple

St. Luke; physician, disciple, author

William Shakespeare, bard of Avon

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

To quote your site:

The MBTI type of SJ responds best to a structured, detailed, just the facts presentation. NPs respond best to a creative presentation that includes the overall theory and meaning of what they are learning.

NPs, especially E_NPs, may be more vulnerable to Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and harder to engage in the learning process. David Keirsey believes that SP's are more prone to ADD, discussing this in his online article "The great ADD hoax".

I wanted to add this holds true in our family. My two oldest boys, an INTP and an ISFP, both have ADD traits and prefer creative and varied teaching methods. My youngest, an ISTJ, wants a straight-forward, no-nonsense approach to school.

Another INTJ here. I thought we were only 2% of the population, but there have been a lot posted so far.

I took the test again to see if it had changed since I stopped working--maybe I would lean away from T and toward F, but it hasn't changed. The N is my strongest area by a lot.

ETA: I had my dd take the test. I wasn't sure if it would work for a child, but the personality description was dead-on! She is a ESFJ--nearly exactly my opposite. I have had to change the way I educate her. I prefer less structure, while she needs it. I love math, and she doesn't like it at all. The hardest thing for me to adjust to is her extroversion. She is an only child but craves companionship. I've had to work very actively at providing opportunites for her to interact with friends (especially since we moved recently).

Edited by chai

The replies here will probably skew to N types since S types tend to be more interested in more practical threads (cleaning, childcare, crafting) and N's tend to be drawn to theory and ideas.

Yep. I have a strong "S" streak balancing my strong "N" streak.;) My husband is just an "S" guy. Can't imagine him talking personality types.:tongue_smilie:

I am an ISTJ barely. It gives me a 1% on the S. Does that mean I am practically on the fence? I did find myself waffling over questions like #31 You value justice higher than mercy. I love my dd, Mercy, but I do like to see justice prevail! #28 Do you find it difficult to talk loudly? Ask my kids, I can yell if I need to, but I prefer not. I found myself argueing with the test questions and wondering what that means about my personality. I like the part where it tells me that I share traits with Eeyore :D

Guest Virginia Dawn

I am an extreme introvert and thinking is my dominant function.

But I love discussing theory and ideas much more than housecleaning and organization. :tongue_smilie:

I also enjoy personality tests and the theory behind them. I find it easier to talk to NJ's than other SJ's.

NF's confuddle me.

I think a lot of ISTJ's get into homeschooling be cause of their traditionalist mindset. In a sense they would like to recapture something from "The Good Old Days" or rebel against the modern innovations of the public school system that they see not working.

Guest Virginia Dawn
What is it about NF's that confuddle you?

I usually find them irrational and illogical, but not unlovable. ;)

My daughter is an ENFP and she and I never understood each other. Her growing up years were very difficult for both of us. Thank goodness we had a good friend who was an MBTI counselor.

Now that she's move out, we get along great. We have both learned to avoid the hot button topics and practice more patience with each other. Even though I love her tremendously, if I had to live with her again, I would probably go crazy. I know she feels the same about me, so it's all good.

I usually find them irrational and illogical, but not unlovable. ;)

My daughter is an ENFP and she and I never understood each other. Her growing up years were very difficult for both of us. Thank goodness we had a good friend who was an MBTI counselor.

Now that she's move out, we get along great. We have both learned to avoid the hot button topics and practice more patience with each other. Even though I love her tremendously, if I had to live with her again, I would probably go crazy. I know she feels the same about me, so it's all good.

I'm an INFJ and I'm pretty sure my stepmom is an ISTJ and we had a difficult time when I was growing up. I never felt like my dad or stepmom ever understood me. We get along fine now - but it was rough when we moved back to this town and had to live with them for 4 months while our house was being built. . .

My dh is borderline ENTP/ENFP and I think both of our kids are N's.

Guest Virginia Dawn
It means that you are just like VirginiaDawn and my husband and that I will confuddle you. :lol:

Isn't it funny? I know so many couples who are ENFP and ISTJ. I guess many times opposites do attract, if they don't kill each other. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

It means that when you think you are being perfectly reasonable, others will be thinking that you are the wet blanket, the stick-in-the-mud, or the ants at a picnic. Sigh.

INFP.

No idea what that means, I'll have to read about it.

Still trying to find out what it means, but I'm in good company!

Immanual Kant, William Shakespeare, Ludwig Beethoven, Pearl Buck, Arthur C. Clark

and from the other site:

Homer

Virgil

Mary, mother of Jesus

St. John, the beloved disciple

St. Luke; physician, disciple, author

William Shakespeare, bard of Avon

I am an INFP as well.

It means that when you think you are being perfectly reasonable, others will be thinking that you are the wet blanket, the stick-in-the-mud, or the ants at a picnic. Sigh.

Oh my! You just described what I usually think of my husband when we are on outings. He kills all the fun.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Oh my! You just described what I usually think of my husband when we are on outings. He kills all the fun.

If you could somehow convince him that it is his duty to let you enjoy yourself, and that he can have some time to recover from the ordeal later, you will both get what you want. :D

Our family is:

Me - INFP

Hubby - INTP

Brother - ISTJ

DD #1 - ESFJ

DD # 2 - ISFJ

DD # 3 - INTP

I haven't really tested the youngest two yet. The 12 year old could probably test now but I doubt the 9 year old could. If I had to guess I would say the 12 year old is an INTP and the 9 year old a ESFP.

This is how I find the differences work out. The Es talk a lot. That is very trying for the Is.

The Ss are more driven and dedicated to completing tasks than the Ns but that doesn't really cause any problems. On the other hand, deep conversations always happen amoung the Ns. The

Fs and Ts pretty much break down along male/female lines and lead to many moody, hormonal break downs amoung the females. I do have one T dd and I find that I have the same communications issues with her as I do with her father. However, my db is a T and he and I rarely have communication issues.

The biggest conflict in our family is between the Js and the Ps mostly in regards to the state of cleanliness and order in the household. The Js have to have the house just so - a place for everything and everything in its place. The Ps are more at home in the scatterbrained professor's desk look. I happen to fall right on the borderline between J and P which in practice works out as OCD regarding cleanliness and order but the inability to make a decision and a tendency to forget everything.

As far as teaching with regards to Ns and Ss. I find that I tend to explain things on a theoretical level but they need to see if and I am sometimes at a loss to be able to show them. It is also difficult for both of us when I explain something and they just don't get it. I have a hard to reworking it in a way they can understand.

I think that not only are N's more willing to take a personality test, they're more likely to enjoy homeschooling, especially classical homeschooling. There's no way to figure out which is going on with an unscientific self-selecting poll, but I wanted to put one up anyway just to get a rough idea.

However, with fuzzy math and "balanced literacy," I can see how SJs who would normally like a well run school would be drawn to homeschooling with some of the curriculum and methods in the schools nowadays.

I find my S friends who do homeschool don't really like talking about homeschooling much.

As an INTP, I enjoy the interaction here!

The N/S difference is the biggest difference in the way a person views the world, I think, but it is also the hardest to describe. N's are more big picture, intuitive, they like books vs. textbooks, big ideas, generalizations, theories. S's are more focused on details, like textbooks and workbooks more, like to have step by step instructions, are more linear.

NP's are most likely to be "tweakers" of curriculum. (I am an INTP, by the way.) I can not stand to follow instructions all the time or do something exactly the book or even exactly the same way if I'm doing the same thing more than once. I even modify my own phonics lessons, and I designed them and I like them!

Another INTJ here. I thought we were only 2% of the population, but there have been a lot posted so far.

I took the test again to see if it had changed since I stopped working--maybe I would lean away from T and toward F, but it hasn't changed. The N is my strongest area by a lot.

ETA: I had my dd take the test. I wasn't sure if it would work for a child, but the personality description was dead-on! She is a ESFJ--nearly exactly my opposite. I have had to change the way I educate her. I prefer less structure, while she needs it. I love math, and she doesn't like it at all. The hardest thing for me to adjust to is her extroversion. She is an only child but craves companionship. I've had to work very actively at providing opportunites for her to interact with friends (especially since we moved recently).

Most of my homeschooling friends are INFP, or INFJ. I have an unproven suspicion that N's are more likely to homeschool. I's may also be more likely to homeschool if they did not find a niche in school. F's are more common for females. My personality type, INTP is a bit rare to begin with, but very rare for a female.

9 is old enough to get a pretty good answer on the test. My 6 year old is borderline, she's probably not old enough to get a good answer yet. All young children are more literal than adults, they may type as an S when young when they're actually a N, but you won't see that until they're older.

I'm an "S" and proud of it! Now, what does that say about me???

Chelle

That's great! God made all types, we need all types! If there were no S's, there would be a lot of jobs that would not get done or would get done poorly or without enjoyment.

More people should be happy with the way they are and proud of it!

My husband and I seem to both be very odd people (both groups are less than 3% of the population):

Him: ENTP

Me: ENTJ

Other ENTP's are:

Other ENTJ's are:

The biggest conflict in our family is between the Js and the Ps mostly in regards to the state of cleanliness and order in the household. The Js have to have the house just so - a place for everything and everything in its place. The Ps are more at home in the scatterbrained professor's desk look.

My husband is borderline J/P but he has recently developed a strong J desire for cleanliness and order in the household. The rest of us like the toys out where we can play with them. My husband just got back from a 4 1/2 month deployment, the first 2 weeks my kids were just happy to be able to leave their toys out, then they started to miss him!

I happen to fall right on the borderline between J and P which in practice works out as OCD regarding cleanliness and order but the inability to make a decision and a tendency to forget everything.

LOL! I try to clean up for my husband, but I suffer from some of the same. I blame the last part on having children and having them running around. I say half jokingly that I lost half my brain with each pregnancy and that not all of it came back. Also, with little people running around asking for things and interrupting, it is easy to lose your train of thought, especially if you're not strong on having a train of thought in the first place.

As far as teaching with regards to Ns and Ss. I find that I tend to explain things on a theoretical level but they need to see if and I am sometimes at a loss to be able to show them. It is also difficult for both of us when I explain something and they just don't get it. I have a hard to reworking it in a way they can understand.

Thanks for that insight! I'm not sure whether my daughter is an S or not yet, there are elements of S in all young children, but I've run into a bit of that already. I like to have several different books for each subject to help me be able to explain things in several different ways. I also like Singapore math because it explains things different ways in one program.

I am an INTJ too, and yes we're supposed to be rare, (I've seen numbers that say less than 1%) but we seem to pop up in certain places in larger than usual numbers. A couple of years ago I was taking graduate courses in linguistics--Bible translation courses specifically. I walked into a room and heard someone say "Now everyone just asks if you're INTJ." I said, "WHO else is INTJ? I thought I was the only one!" (LOL!) The girl said, "Oh, almost all of the Bible Translators on the field are INTJ!"

I was really surprised but I guess it fits: (Quote from the test site)

Problem-solving is highly stimulating to Masterminds, who love responding to tangled systems that require careful sorting out....But before they decide anything, they must do the research.