Menu

How long have you homeschooled?

How many years have you homeschooled?  

1. 1. How many years have you homeschooled?

Took our oldest out of Developmental pre-school in our local school district March of 96. So in March it will be 13 years. When I began hsing him he was mute, brain deaf, and had no focal vision just some peripheral and was turning 4. Hsing back then was a mix of home therapy and preschool. Today he is reading at college level and almost an Eagle Scout. When I first started hsing I was just hoping that he would say any word and now we have in-depth conversations about all kinds of things. Best thing I ever did was bring him home, it was also the hardest thing I have ever done.

Took our oldest out of Developmental pre-school in our local school district March of 96. So in March it will be 13 years. When I began hsing him he was mute, brain deaf, and had no focal vision just some peripheral and was turning 4. Hsing back then was a mix of home therapy and preschool. Today he is reading at college level and almost an Eagle Scout. When I first started hsing I was just hoping that he would say any word and now we have in-depth conversations about all kinds of things. Best thing I ever did was bring him home, it was also the hardest thing I have ever done.

This is encouraging! I'd love to read about this, if you've ever posted how you achieved this success.

Carrie:-)

This is our first year. I said I'd give it a shot for one year and honestly I did not expect to enjoy our experience. In this case I'm so glad to be wrong. Not to say we haven't had bad days, but homeschooling has been wonderful for my daughter and for me. I look forward to bringing my younger home next year, too.

I am done now, so was looking for the other option.

I started in 1993 with a Kindergartner, a sixth grader and Junior in High school.

Junior graduated 2 years later having spent half days at home. Wonderfull option for us.

sixth grader was home for 3 years and then went on to do half days at Public school and half days at home thru graduation.

Kindergartner wa joined by his younger brother a year later. I homeschooled them thru 2003 or 11 school years.

Edited by KatieinMich
wrong year

I am done now, so was looking for the other option.

I started in 1983 with a Kindergartner, a sixth grader and Junior in High school.

Junior graduated 2 years later having spent half days at home. Wonderfull option for us.

sixth grader was home for 3 years and then went on to do half days at Public school and half days at home thru graduation.

Kindergartner wa joined by his younger brother a year later. I homeschooled them thru 2003 or 11 school years.

Hey--we were hsing at the same time.:grouphug: Wasn't MI law pretty draconian back then?

Hey--we were hsing at the same time.:grouphug: Wasn't MI law pretty draconian back then?

Our paths seem to be the same only in different parts of the country!

We were living in Minnesota for the first 3 years I was homeschooling. My sister was on the MACHE board in MN when I first realized that moving to MI was a possibilty. She said it was about the worst place to move to for homeschooling. She had heard lots of horror stories and yes, some of them took place here in West Michigan.

We took our time making the decision to move and 6 months later when we arrived in MI, (March of '96) the laws had changed and we had no problems.

This is encouraging! I'd love to read about this, if you've ever posted how you achieved this success.

Carrie:-)

Medical intervention, prayer, Speech, OT, Vision therapy, and auditory training through FastForword computer therapy, hours of hard work, and quite a bit of teacher training for me. Our sons had something called Landau-Kleffner Syndrome variant which was aggressively treated with high levels of Steroids and Depakote for several years. Insurance did not cover therapy so the SLP, OT, and Ped Opt trained me to do the therapy and then did quarterly assessments to make sure the boys were making progress and recommended therapy curriculum.

Dh works for an airline so I could fly for free and I flew several places to get teacher training, Chapel NC, St Louis MO, ect.... I was trained to do Fast Forward computer therapy at home to remediated my boys dyslexia and I became trained and certified with Reading Reflex. I read every book, research paper, medical paper on the subject of language delays the education of such children, LKS and related disorders, ect.... I called and talked to the leaders in the fields, bought auido tapes of lectures and attended every medical or therapy conference I could, even MCed a few medical and therapy conferences in Chicago area, listen to the lectures and then had private conversations with the speakers of the conferences, ect...... Lots of hard work and study on my part. Our Neurologist and Developmental Psychologist felt that hsing was a key because the boys were not stressed by public school and the got 1 on 2 instruction in a controlled environment, instead of 1 on 10 instruction in a public school that was not controlled environment for the needs of children with sensory issues.

Long and short of it there were several of factors and quite a few people praying. We were blessed that our boys responded and tolerated high doses for long periods of heavy duty meds and that the only Pediatric Neurologist successfully treating LKSv in the world at the time was an hour drive from our home. With out the medical treatment or the prayer every thing I did with our sons or learned would not have really have worked.

We're in our 22nd year. 6 more to go. This is a great lifestyle for our family. My kids are close friends and they've learned neat stuff over the years- beyond the typical academics. I'm blessed to be able to do this. Many, many thanks to my dear hubby for this priveilege .:001_smile: