Menu

Attacked by a rooster!

So I am trying to keep a sick (maybe dying) cow from killing the vet. I have her lassoed (sp?) and have the rope around a fence post. All of a sudden I feel like someone has whacked me across the shin with a broomstick. It really hurt. The rooster is looking at me all puffed up and mad as heck about who knows what. I reached down and grabbed a board and smacked him on the head. I took 3 good whacks to get him to back off!

Is this typical behaviour for a rooster? Could he do this to one of my very small dogs? Last but not least...does anyone have a good Chicken and Dumplings recipe? :glare:

Alexandra

So I am trying to keep a sick (maybe dying) cow from killing the vet. I have her lassoed (sp?) and have the rope around a fence post. All of a sudden I feel like someone has whacked me across the shin with a broomstick. It really hurt. The rooster is looking at me all puffed up and mad as heck about who knows what. I reached down and grabbed a board and smacked him on the head. I took 3 good whacks to get him to back off!

Is this typical behaviour for a rooster? Could he do this to one of my very small dogs? Last but not least...does anyone have a good Chicken and Dumplings recipe? :glare:

Alexandra

:001_huh: :lol:

Aaahh, that brings back memories of my childhood! We had a flock of bantams, headed up by a beautiful rooster that was as mean as he was beautiful. He didn't bother my older brothers too much but he attacked me and my younger sisters. If we had on shorts he would draw blood. One time mom had to rescue one of us girls and she hit him with an old broom so hard that she thought she killed him. That rooster was knocked out cold for maybe an hour. When he awoke he was as mean as ever!:glare:

A word of advice: it will take a long time to cook him to get him tender enough to eat, I KNOW!

This is reasonably common among roosters, especially old ones.

Chicken and dumplings is a good remedy, but depending on the age of the rooster, soup may work better.

I spent quite some time trying to train them not to attack. All I trained them to do was to do sneak attacks instead.

This can be a fact of life with chickens. Many get just laying hens as chicks. When we were on our small farm we had to get rid of a couple as we had very small children.

Some breeds are particularly notorious for this, also I find that having a lone rooster with a bunch of hens contributes. I never turned my back on some of ours.

Sorry about your experience today, it's frightening for sure!

Roosters can be quite ornery. I learned that when we were visiting my aunt who had a rooster (among other animals). This one rooster that they called Fred took a disliking to my dad. He followed my dad everywhere he went on the property. When my dad turned to look at him, that darn rooster would turn and act like it wasn't doing anything. Then one day, Fred was standing between two cars that I needed to walk between. I stopped dead in my tracks and my dad was telling me to just walk through him. I wouldn't so my dad did. He ended up with a hole on either side of his knee from Fred's spurs.

I've been weary of roosters ever since.

Our rule here is that mean roosters die, whether we can eat them or not.

That being said, I take my responsibility to tame him very seriously. What you did was great for an attack. Now you need show your dominance every time you are outside. He sees you as a threat to his position in his flock. To show dominance you need to walk straight towards him and not waver in your path. He'll move or attack. If he attacks you MUST keeping moving forward. Hopefully he'll move. Hopefully if he attacks he quits quickly and turn from you or moves to the side.

If you can catch him, hold him upside down by his legs until he quits flapping and calms down. This does not hurt him at all. Do this every time you can get your hands on him. I also catch mine and cradle him in my arms just like I do the hens. I support his belly on one arm with one wing pinned up against my body and the other held with my other hand. I sweet talk him.

One thing I've noticed is that my attitude makes a difference. My attitude is that I am in control, not him, but I care for him and will take care of him and his flock.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

One of my funniest memories from childhood is a knock down drag out between my dad and one of our roosters. I'll tell you that rooster turned tail and ran. I really can't remember if my dad actually caught him. I think we had all died of laughter by then. :tongue_smilie:

Geese can be quite mean too. I despise birds.

"And we'll kill the old red rooster when she comes! Oh, we'll kill the old red rooster when she comes!. . ." You should sing "She'll be coming 'round the mountain" to that mean old rooster.

That rooster was knocked out cold for maybe an hour. When he awoke he was as mean as ever!:glare:

I spent quite some time trying to train them not to attack. All I trained them to do was to do sneak attacks instead.

One of my funniest memories from childhood is a knock down drag out between my dad and one of our roosters. I'll tell you that rooster turned tail and ran. I really can't remember if my dad actually caught him. I think we had all died of laughter by then. :tongue_smilie:

We rarely keep a rooster more than a year--they get nastier and nastier. WHACK HIM!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

The original post here was quite funny, but when I got to OHGrandma's post, I nearly fell off the couch, I laughed so hard. Now, after reading the rest of the thread, I'm wiping tears off my face. Thanks for the good laughs, everyone! And Alexandra, I have no advice whatsoever, but I sure hope your leg is OK and that you get that rooster straightened out.

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to laugh - I hope you weren't too injured. I hate chickens. I raise ducks. They don't roost and poop on everything in the barn, they are calm and sweet and fun and they certainly would never hurt anyone. I just LOVE my ducks. My husband has a few chickens. I hate them. Every once in a while, one disappears. I can't wait till they are all gone. They poop on everything in my barn! We do have a rooster but he is quite friendly. I'm scared now, though. He is only 1 1/2 years old. If he turns mean, he'll be sorry! Ducks eggs are delicious by the way and the ducklings are SO cute! Get ducks instead!

Here is an out of this world recipe by my Chef-wanna-be daughter.

Chicken and Dumplings

by: Jes Harmon

Chicken:

1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces

3 ribs celery, chopped

3 carrots, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

2 bay leaves

2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon garlic powder

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup

Dumplings:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

Ice water

Place the chicken, celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, and House Seasoning in a large pot. Add 4 quarts of water and in water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.

To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.

Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick. Let the dough relax for several minutes.

Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.

Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.

To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.

Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the dumplings are added. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew.

:lol: When they're babies, you rub the roosters wattles and "make friends" with them. We've tried it with 2 rooster babies, and they grew up to be very gentle roosters. A friend of mine had the same breed of rooster and he was soooo mean. He'd fly up and attack her kids from the back and they would come in with scratches right through their clothes! My 12 yod says an umbrella works well, too. Another tip is to go for docile breeds. As for cooking a rooster....My old neighbor says "cook a rooster on a piece of cardboard and eat the cardboard" LOL