Menu

$20 or less per subject

hsingscrapper

Science--My Pals are Here Workbooks and Activity Guides

History--Story of the World no activity guide but buy a map to talk about where things are at.

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it)--Rod and Staff English

Spelling--The Writing Road to Reading second edition. Just teach the phonograms and word lists.

Reading--books from the library of their choice or if they are doing phonics then the phonics workbooks from Rod and Staff

Grammar--Rod and Staff English

Writing--?????? Tell me what to buy.

:001_smile:

Science - Handbook of Nature Study & Barb's weekly Nature assignment. The book is available as a free download. Spend a few bucks on some colored pencils and sketch books.

History - Famous Men series or SOTW

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it) - Rod & Staff probably. I'm not sure about cost on it.

Spelling - Natural Speller $20.00 for a resource that works from grades 1-8. It takes a little time to set up but is well worth it in cost savings.

Reading - library books/thrift stores/clearance at the bookstore

Grammar - Rod & Staff

Writing - Rod & Staff

I know I posted similarly with the math thread but humor me a bit more, please?

What would you do in the following areas?

Science

History

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it)

Spelling

Reading

Grammar

Writing

And any other subjects I may have missed...

Science, reading and history can be done for free from the library. Copywork can be done using the books you get from the library. If you are looking for writing instruction the IEW themed based books can be found used for @ $10-$15. You can get the R&S english books for @ $15 and until grade 5 you don't need the teacher's books. The Spelling Workout Books are @ $20.

Thinking along the same lines as Quiver.

History--library books. Maybe pick up SOTW too.

Science--library books.

Grammar (writing included)--Rod and Staff

Spelling (9 yo only)--Rod and Staff

Reading--library books for readers (ours has tons) and Phonics Pathways to teach how to read.

Science

Assuming I didn't live in a city apartment with no parks within walking distance, I'd do nature study. A field guide, a sketchpad, pencil sharpener and colored pencils should come in under $20. You already have the internet, and we use that a lot in our nature study. If you don't have access to a park or yard, you could use library books. My kids enjoy sketching natural objects from photos.

History

Again, at your childrens' ages, I'd use library books and a website like Paula's to find free booklists by time period.

Use the $20 to buy paper, a three-hole punch, and ink to print out one of these Book of Centuries (your two kids can share).

You should be able to pick up binders through Freecycle. Instead of waiting for it to show up, post a "WANTED: three ring binder" message.

Use your library's online catalog to determine what books are available from those lists, and which you want your children to read (or want to read aloud). The library card catalog entries should have page numbers. Add those all up and divide by 180, and that's your daily history read schedule.

After a day's reading, have the kids each draw (the little one) or write (the big one) an entry for the timeline notebook on the subject you read about. Have them file it themselves in the binder.

Obviously you'll also need gas money to get to the library, unless you can walk there, and paper. As with the nature study recommendation above, I prefer colored pencils because they last longer than crayons, but you'll need a good sharpener too.

Language Arts

Does your six year old read yet? How is your ten year old's spelling? Is he a reluctant writer? Is there some reason you can't use the freebies you have on your website?

Science - Science Scope + library books & experiment books.

History - Beautiful Feet Guides + library books

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it) - Christian Light Education (spelling, grammar, handwriting), but it's $39 a year and totally consummable.

Spelling - R&S Spelling through 4th grade ($10-$15 a year); Then use a vocabulary program like Vocabulary Vine and add in misspelled words from dication.

Reading - included with history or more library books

Grammar - R&S English (buy used, nonconsummable)

Writing - Write with the Best (actually $24 but works with grades 3-12 and will last you probably 2 years) or Writing Strands.

This is a great thread. :)

Here are some other ideas:

Science: Christian Liberty Nature Readers. Summarize or narrate and do notebook pages.

History: Library Books by time period. Christian Liberty Press History Books

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it): Spectrum Language Arts. I think this includes grammar and writing.

Spelling: Choose words from the dictionary.

Reading: Library Books of child's choice. If not reading, I would pick up Alpha Phonics used on one of the used curriculum sites.

Grammar: Scott Foresman has a free online grammar and writing curriculum for elementary grades. I seem to have lost my book mark for it.:001_huh: Perhaps someone else here has it. Or you could possibly find it by Google.

Writing: Included in the free Scott Foresman curriculum.

Science- Either Singapore My Pals are Here workbooks, which might add up to more than $20 if you need multiple workbooks, or I'd just do nature study and use the library for reference materials, and field guides. Younger kids (not sure what ages you're working with), could just pick a theme they're interested in every month and you could check out related picture books, like the Let's Read and Find out books or Magic School bus books. Another option is buying just a science encyclopedia as a spine and then checking out related picture books. Janice Van Cleaves' books and other books with ideas for experiments are at most libraries.

History- SOTW and the activity guide, which would be a little bit more than $20 so I'd see if I could find them used.

Comprehensive Language Arts- (for those who like one book and being done with it)- Maybe Rod Staff but that might run you a little more than $20 with the teachers guide. I'd try to find that used, I see those on the for sale forum a lot.

Spelling- I believe that spellingcity.com is free online. Otherwise I'd buy a non-consumable resource like Webster's Blue Back Speller ($10 or so on Amazon) or Natural Speller ($22 on Amazon). Oh, I see someone suggested R&S spelling, that's a great idea for a workbook option. They're very inexpensive.

Reading- I don't think reading programs are necessary. I'd just have sustained silent reading time daily with library books and have the kids narrate from their reading from time to time.

Grammar- See Rod and Staff, or use KISS grammar free online or Scott Foresman grammar free online. You'd have the expense of printing them though.

Writing- Rod and Staff includes both grammar and writing, otherwise I'd look at Writing Strands and Wordsmith. Writing With Ease is less than $20 on Amazon, but you'd have to forgo the workbooks and find your own lit passages.

Okay, I'll try:

Science - free, printable program online for biology: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/

History - use any free suggestions for setting up periods of study, such as past posts here, Ambleside Online, Tanglewood, etc. and make a list of pertinent library books for each period, then check them out ahead of time so you have them for each week as you need them.

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it) - I don't know what you mean by this since you have spelling, reading and grammar listed separately, below. I like Serl's Primary Language Lessons. I think it's about that cost or less. Intermediate Language Lessons is the follow up to it. I believe each book is about $20 or less. It covers grammar and writing, at least to some extent. For handwriting, you could pull up free copywork from online (see past posts here).

Spelling - You could make your own lists from words you encounter in reading, in your grammar and writing lessons, etc. I feel certain Rod and Staff would also be less than $20.

Reading - read good library books related to the history period you study and/or to the science topics you study.

Grammar - PLL, as I mentioned above....

Writing - PLL and copywork, as I mentioned above....

Science: Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding + library books. The book is actually $25, but goes K-2 and can be used as a backbone to arrange subjects for your older.

History: There are lots of free history books at mainlesson.com. I'd probably go with The Story of Mankind (VanLoon) and supplement with library books, which would be free :) If you don't like TSOM, go with STOW + library books.

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it): Rod and Staff English

Spelling: If I had no budget, I'd see if my library had Spelling Power and borrow it occasionally, or use the money *not* spent on history to buy it. Then you never have to buy another spelling book again!

Reading: Library books or mainlesson.com

Grammar: I'm sure there is grammar included in Rod and Staff, but if you want something separate, then I would use the Scott Foresman stuff you link to on your blog.

Writing: At your kid's ages, I'd try to get CW Aesop (just the core) for your older and just stick with copywork for the younger. I've seen Aesop sell used for $20 or less...I just bought a used copy for $12, actually!

And, I know you got math rec's before, but it looks strange to me to include everything *but* math, so I'd go with Singapore math.

Science, reading and history can be done for free from the library. Copywork can be done using the books you get from the library
Absolutely! And you when they are older you can move from copywork to dictation and use it to learn grammar and spelling. If I were on a tight budget, I would use the library and internet for everything except math and foreign languages. That way I could spend the money on outings or nice art supplies, etc. And I'd stick to non-consumables for math and languages so that I could reuse them for the other children.

I would start at Old Fashioned Education

They list and schedule out a bunch of free curriculum online. If you don't want to print out stuff, you can replace the reading suggestions with library books of your choice.

Grammar

Scott Foresman for Grammar

Kiss Grammar with printable workbooks for free

For Math, I'd purchase Singapore Text or Spectrumor look for used books you like

If you look at http://www.gutenberg.org you can find many old readers, McGuffy books for free that you can download. There or Google books.

Science

I'd outline the schedule you want, sequence of subjects like astronomy, zoology, whatever

find library movies and books with the experiments on the subject

HTH

There was a fantastic thread here on "free curriculum"--see if you can find it with a search.

As well, may I recommend using Enchanted Learning? It's $20 per year--but with library books you could do all your science and language arts. It's a tremendous resource.

As well, you can teach almost everything off the internet it seems, these days. Today, for example I found work sheets for the kids on land forms for geography, a worksheet for my son to practice more on the differences between lie and lay and some information on Darwin. (200th anniversary of his Birthday today.)

What you will need more than anything, it seems to me, is the table of contents for particular books and/or subjects. For example, I wouldn't have a clue how to teach geography without "the book" --but I bet I could if I could look at the table of contents of a book and then look up the info I needed on-line for each chapter or concept. Does that make sense?

What you propose is very, very doable: it'll just take some time to pull together. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

How to Teach Spelling has a Teacher's Manual and 4 workbooks for grades 1-12. I was able to get the TM and 2 workbooks for under 20 dollars at half.com and Paperbookswap.com.

WRTR can do reading and spelling. There are also free online books and lessons. See what Elizabeth B has.

There are free books online for grammar and writing: http://www.sfreading.com/resources/practicebkpg.html

http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

http://www.sfreading.com/resources/planningguides.html#

http://www.glencoe.com/sites/georgia/student/languageart/assets/workbooks.html

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/index.html

Full LA $20: http://www.queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html

free curriculum: http://dorioakes.bravehost.com/Grade1.html

http://dorioakes.bravehost.com/grade4.html

Language Arts

Does your six year old read yet? How is your ten year old's spelling? Is he a reluctant writer? Is there some reason you can't use the freebies you have on your website?

My almost 6yo reads at close to a 2nd grade level. Ds9 would rather eat raw veggies (which he despises with almost every fiber of his being) than write anything resembling a full sentence much less a creative paragraph.

As for using the freebies, there's nothing stopping me. I was just wondering what people would do if they were only going to spend $20 or less per subject.

Science- Apologia

History- SOTW

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it) ?? I'm not sure

Spelling- Spelling Workout

Reading- Ambleside online, Library, or Project Gutenburg McGuffey Readers

Grammar- Rod and Staff

Writing- WWE Workbook or Text but not both

I would purchase all books used to stretch money.

Personally I have been looking at Ambleside online a lot lately. I really like the suggestions and it's free.

Science- BFSU ($22.45), and/or nature study with field guides (you could use some online or from the library, or buy a few golden guides as they're $6.95 each)

History- There are a TON of history books on http://www.heritage-history.com There's also searchable maps and images.

Comprehensive Language Arts (includes grammar)- The Language Lessons series from Queen homeschool ($19.95 each book) or PLL by serl ($14.95 non-consumable and good for 2 years) with some copywork

Spelling- Natural Speller (non-consumable good through 8th grade, $22) or prepared dictation from books

Reading- Good books from the library

Writing- by writing, I'm assuming handwriting... Beautiful Handwriting for Children by Penny Gardner (link $8 ebook) or if they already know how to form letters, then copywork either free from online or pick out of books.

Latin (if you're interested)- Song School Latin from CAP $22.95, just get the student book, it has the CD and you don't need the teacher's edition.

School for under $100 (plus math, but I've already responded on your other post.)

This is a fun thread!

Foreign language: I'd probably use Linney's Getting Started with Latin for a beginner. Not sure what after that. Linney's book is under $20 on Amazon I think new. OR you can find it used cheaper (like I did ;))

Science: For young kids, I would get Dover Nature coloring books, one per term like Birds or Wildflowers and some nice colored pencils. Then, I would look up those things on the computer with the kids. If I could afford it, I would add in a used copy of Anna Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study.

History: I'd use a spine like This Country of Ours or A Child's History of the World and add in books from the library. I'd buy a cheap world and USA map and hang on the wall and I would use free outline maps from online to have the kids do map drills.

English and Reading: If I could find it used, I would buy Galore Park's English Prep series and add in books from the library. I know buying new is over $20. Otherwise, I would use Primary Language Lessons and then Intermediate Language Lessons with elementary-aged kids. I'd add in lots of reading and discussing.

Other things...

For artist study, I would choose one artist every twelve weeks and print up 6 cheap color prints from each artist.

Science

History

Comprehensive Language Arts

http://www.homeschoolshare.com it is all free

Reading- if still learning phonics- Reading made Easy, if not use booklist for library books

Grammar

Writing

Spelling

http://www.design-your-homeschool.com/language-arts-lesson-plans-literature.html

http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/search/label/grammar

The only thing you need to buy is a phonics program, and that may not even be necessary. It is more involved than handing the kids a workbook, but this style does work. :D

but in case no one else has suggested this, I would try the S&S board, and request to swap rather than buy / sell items you have for items you are seeking. If you don't have curriculum you can swap, perhaps there are other ways to trade / barter with HSers in your area.

If you can do it without violating copy right laws, there may be ways to purchase some of the materials with a friend for shared use, or to use in such a way that she has them for part of the year and you have them for part of the year.

Science I'd do it for free (not counting the price of paper, pencils and crayons, markers or colored pencils) using internet resources, library books and nature studies.

History The same as science. Get blackline maps, projects with common household items and other internet resources.

Comprehensive Language Arts (for those who like one book and being done with it)

Spelling I'd spend part of the extra money I saved with history and science to buy AAS.

Reading From the library with free literature studies from the internet. They are there you just have to search and be willing to do the books you can find guides for.

Grammar I'd spend some of the money I saved reading to buy Growing with Grammar

Writing I'd do a inter-library loan for WWE. Once I got a copy, I'd take notes and implement it as best I could. Either that or borrow a copy of the CW books from a friend and take notes to implement it.

The above is very research intensive. Any other money saved I'd use to buy good coffee to keep awake during the next few months while I'm pulling everything together.

For spelling you don't have to purchase a program. Once kids know basic spelling (after phonics, they should) you can use dictation from Dictation Day by Day book 1 which is found online through google books. There are several levels and it gets tough! For littles, just use their phonics words they are working on. Day 1- you write them on index cards, have child study a word, flip the card over, write the word, flip the card back over to check. Correct if needed and repeat with each word. Day 2- you call out the word from each card and use in a sentence. Have child write word from memory on paper or marker board. Give them the card to check their work. Have them corrrect missed word immediately. Day 3- Call out word and have child use it in a sentence then write from memory. Show card, child checks and corrects. Day 4 have child do hands on with any trouble words from the week. (write word and trace around it with several different colors; have child clap/jump/twirl/bend/etc while saying one letter per jump until word is spelled.

After they are spelling on a 2nd grade level is a good time to move to the dictation. You let them study it, then read it to them, have them repeat it then copy it. Let them check and correct. Move on once they are able to copy correctly. This could be one day or one week. The book intro should explain details of how to do the dictation.

HTH!

If you can find a used guide from Heart of Dakota, many of the books they use can be found used for cheap or from the library. Some can be found online for free (I know two of the main Am. History books in the "Bigger..." guide are online). Dictation/Spelling, copywork, poetry, history, grammar, writing, math, science, etc. are all included in the plans.

If I didn't have a lot of money this is what I would do:

History: Mosaic History(free) http://bringinguplearners.com/mosaic-myths-maps-and-marvels/ and buy either STOW or the other book that she recommends

or

http://www.abookintime.com/ if I just wanted to piece something together myself. I would make a history notebook with these free pages http://www.notebookingpages.com/index.php?page=Free-History-Notebooking-Pages

Science: Barb's nature study, the internet, books from the library, and some nature journal items. If they were intrested in hands on kind of stuff you can do that for free here each week http://kidswhothink.blogspot.com/

or

If you wanted an all inclusive science you can try this life science http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ . We are currently using it now in a science co-op, and really like it. The one downside is that some of the directions for the experiments are not very clear.

Reading: could be included in the Mosaic History or follow the recommendations from TWTM. Pick one book from every section of the library to read. I could also use this http://www.mce.k12tn.net/units/units_with_books.htm

We have used www.homeschoolshare.com in the past and have loved it. My ds just likes history more.

Grammer: First Language Lessons. I bought my copy used for $12 dollars and it will last 2 years.

Spelling: I would use words from our history or if doing HSS I would use the vocabulary words.

Writing: I would use history narration as a writing activity and add it to their notebook. I could also use this http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/printables/writing.htm

Edited by Osaubi