Menu

At what age can kids homeschool themselves with little supervision...

This is my 14th year homeschooling. Or is it our 15th? I've lost track.

IMHO, the answer to your question is: Never.

Kids of all ages need supervision. I've graduated two of my dc and they are/were very responsible, but I would never have just left their education to them.

My youngest is a very responsible 11th grader. 16yo. Instead of getting that second job that we really need, I stay at home and help her schedule her days, supervise her work and keep her on track. Oh, and I taxi her to lessons, etc. Great as she is, she is not ready to be responsible for her own education. That is my job and I take it very seriously.

To supervise their own education for a few hours, high school, to just be home for a few hours I would say it depends on the child, I know at age 9 I was fine home alone, watching my younger siblings, doing my homework and starting dinner etc but my son aged 10 I can not leave alone long enough to go to the bathroom half the time.

It probably really depends on the kid. But really, I don't even think I would enjoy doing that - several hours alone, studying...not fun. My DD17 couldn't even handle studying mostly on her own with me in the house - just couldn't focus and get the work done. I HAD to monitor things and when I didn't, she got behind. That is over now and she is doing better, but we had some difficulty. And I am talking about a very mature, girl who likes school and is super responsible about other things. It's just not fun to sit alone and study for hours for anyone. It takes a lot of personal self discipline. Some kids have it, some good kids just don't.

It sort of depends on what you mean. My ds11 gets a printed schedule of his daily work with the books, assignments etc. written on it. He gets his clipboard and sits in an armchair (upside down if he's reading:tongue_smilie:) and works on his assignments. His finished work goes in a special folder of his "to be graded" work for me to grade at the library (my best place to do it).

Some of his classes are with me. For some - like music - they have to be with me all of the time so we just schedule a time that is mutually beneficial (mostly for me). For some - only an occasional assignment needs to be with me - in that case his schedule will specifically say something like "to do with teacher".

It has been a progression for him starting last year but now he is quite independent. Of course occasionally he will come to me and tell me that he really doesn't understand his math at all. Or when I grade his work it will be abundantly clear to me that he doesn't understand something. Then we schedule time to sit down and work out the problem.

Now I'm in the room or in a nearby room the entire time. So he isn't without my supervision at all (to make sure he's on task or to help him if things get too difficult). I am aware of how he is doing. If I notice that he is getting frustrated or just having a difficult time in some way I will step in and either have him take a break or will intervene in some way.

I have to agree with the others.

I do find that if I am around, in the room, I can do my own thing at my desk for an hour here and there, but so far I havent been able to leave teh room for any length of time and not have the kids lose focus.

I am sure some kids are different and very motivated, but even my good student is not that motivated. Constant checking on her, giving praise for this assignment, going over wrong answers, helping her understand what she is supposed to do for that assigument- it doesnt really stop. And I dont expect it to. My other child needs me a lot as he has learning difficulties.

However, we do minimise our school hours so that we might spend our mornings doing "work" and they will have afternoons for an hour or two of reading, which is independent (I still do read alouds in the morning though, with my two teens. Sharing books is one of the joys and benefits of homeschooling for us). I feel I have plenty of time to do other things, but for now this is still a huge committment.

Having said all this- I remember when my son a few years ago- he needed me to sit at his side for just about everything. Those days did eventually pass and he can often do several things independently each morning while I do a few chores.

My ds11 gets a printed schedule of his daily work with the books, assignments etc. written on it. He gets his clipboard and sits in an armchair (upside down if he's reading:tongue_smilie:) and works on his assignments. His finished work goes in a special folder of his "to be graded" work for me to grade at the library (my best place to do it).

It has been a progression for him starting last year but now he is quite independent.

May I ask what kind of schedule you give him? Do you use a certain form or program? I'd like to work towards a goal of having ds work from a schedule (with me to help explain the math lesson or whatever needs an explanation).

When you say "a progression" what has that looked like for you and your ds?

Thanks. :001_smile:

I just type up our schedule on Microsoft Outlook.

This morning's schedule:

Read-a-Loud: (both kids together) "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood" ch. 1

Chore time

6th History: Read "The Prologue to the Wife of Bath's Tale"

Snack recess (15 min.)

6th Math: Sing 6A Text p. 58 - 59; Wkbk Ex. 22

Lunch Recess

Lunch Read-a-Loud: Robin Hood ch. 2

6th Typing

Recorder Practice/ Read "The Wfe of Bath's Tale"

6th Grammar: Read p. 116- 118 Class Practice p. 118 (this means it is with me)

6th Latin: Latin Prep

Snack Recess

6th Music: Play second song (that he's been practicing)

2nd & 6th gr. art (combined): Make coat of arms/ shielf "Huzzah means Hooray" p. 66

Our progression:

1. First we would go over the schedule together, he would do one subject, we would mark it off on the schedule and then we'd look at the schedule to see the next thing. . .

2. Then I would ask him to look at the schedule on his own and do the subject. But still one at a time. It took him awhile to figure out that once he did the subject that he couldn't just wander off on his own and start to do legos. . .

3. Then he started to "do the next thing" but we did have to work on what to do if he was ready to work with me and I was busy with his sister (answer: schedule a time with me and go ahead to the next thing)

4. Some of this progression was a developmental thing I think. It has only been in the last few months that he's gotten truly independent. Now I let him look at the schedule but he can do the subjects in the order he prefers as long as it is done.

It completely depends...

Last year, I was hospitalized twice. Once was for 10 days. The other time was a week. My kids handled their responsibilities just fine. It wasn't perfect, but pretty close. And if I had been there every afternoon to check, it probably would have been 100%.

I have also worked/attended college (sometimes at the same time) on and off while homeschooling and my kids have done what they needed to. Of course, I was still there most of the time to guide things.

So it depends on the kids. It depends on the parent. It depends on the "how." It depends on the general discipline.

But it is SO much easier going back to work AGAIN (while in college full time) knowing my 13yo is capable of handling his responsibilities (again, I don't neglect guidance and checking though). My 16yo doesn't count as she's in college so it's really her business altogether.

Kids of all ages need supervision. I've graduated two of my dc and they are/were very responsible, but I would never have just left their education to them.

My youngest is a very responsible 11th grader. 16yo. Instead of getting that second job that we really need, I stay at home and help her schedule her days, supervise her work and keep her on track. Oh, and I taxi her to lessons, etc. Great as she is, she is not ready to be responsible for her own education. That is my job and I take it very seriously.

Did the two you graduated go on to college? If so, how were they able to handle the sudden change to being totally responsible for their own education---keeping themselves on track, scheduling their time, being responsible for their work entirely on their own?

It sort of depends on what you mean. My ds11 gets a printed schedule of his daily work with the books, assignments etc. written on it. .........

Now I'm in the room or in a nearby room the entire time. So he isn't without my supervision at all (to make sure he's on task or to help him if things get too difficult). I am aware of how he is doing. If I notice that he is getting frustrated or just having a difficult time in some way I will step in and either have him take a break or will intervene in some way.

Although Calvin gets a weekly schedule.

Laura

It sort of depends on what you mean. My ds11 gets a printed schedule of his daily work with the books, assignments etc. written on it. He gets his clipboard and sits in an armchair (upside down if he's reading:tongue_smilie:) and works on his assignments. His finished work goes in a special folder of his "to be graded" work for me to grade at the library (my best place to do it).

For some - only an occasional assignment needs to be with me - in that case his schedule will specifically say something like "to do with teacher".

Very much like my 7th grader but we do a weekly schedule. She has worked in this manner for several years now. She will often rearrange her work according to her mood, sometimes she comes and gets all the assigned reading and takes it up to her room first. She will occasionally ask for help with math or Greek Morphemes and we do Latin together anyway so I keep fresh with it.

While I would prefer she gets it all done in a timely manner, it's her choice and her problem if she dawdles and is still doing school after supper. The rule is it gets done.

Did the two you graduated go on to college? If so, how were they able to handle the sudden change to being totally responsible for their own education---keeping themselves on track, scheduling their time, being responsible for their work entirely on their own?

Ummmm....College students have A LOT of responsibility but not NEARLY as much as a teen who "homeschools himself." In college, they go to class (or online) 1-4 times per week. There are study groups. They have access to professors. They have a syllabus and due dates. Tutoring is available. Etc.

Now, I personally had my daughter do A LOT for herself. I gave her long term goals and she made the shorter term ones to meet the requirement. I also didn't get involved in classes she took outside the home (no asking about homework or studying, no discussion about daily/weekly/test grades, etc past what she volunteered). But I was here when she had a question, could help as needed, taught the Biology co-op, and the list goes on.

College is more structured that what she did but she didn't "homeschool herself."

I agree with the others that teens need supervision (not direct 100% of the time) and checking in with (look how many homeschoolers find out their kid hasn't done anything in 3 weeks). College isn't nearly as loose as some homeschools. There IS accountability, help galore, and structure at college.

Originally Posted by Jean in Newcastle View Post

It sort of depends on what you mean. My ds11 gets a printed schedule of his daily work with the books, assignments etc. written on it. He gets his clipboard and sits in an armchair (upside down if he's reading) and works on his assignments. His finished work goes in a special folder of his "to be graded" work for me to grade at the library (my best place to do it).

For some - only an occasional assignment needs to be with me - in that case his schedule will specifically say something like "to do with teacher".

This is how my 8th grader has been the last couple years also. I don't know if he'll, in high school, ever go as free as my daughter. Different kids have different needs. But I'm comfy with the idea of a weekly assignment sheet. That seems similar to what they'll get in college (though mostly they'll get the whole semester at one time there...ime).

Ummmm....College students have A LOT of responsibility but not NEARLY as much as a teen who "homeschools himself." In college, they go to class (or online) 1-4 times per week. There are study groups. They have access to professors. They have a syllabus and due dates. Tutoring is available. Etc.

I agree with the others that teens need supervision (not direct 100% of the time) and checking in with (look how many homeschoolers find out their kid hasn't done anything in 3 weeks). College isn't nearly as loose as some homeschools. There IS accountability, help galore, and structure at college.

Pamela is right. Leaving a child to "homeschool himself" is not homeschooling - homeschooling involves teaching and being actively involved in a child's education. I must admit that I absolutely cringe when I read posts from people (esp on the K8 board) who want suggestions for programs their young kids can do independently.

To be successful in college a student needs to be used to handling deadlines, taking tests (short answer, multiple choice, essay), studying, and working hard to meet a teacher's expectations. How is a child who homeschools himself ever going to learn those skills? These are skills that the homeschooling parent needs to teach to the child before college begins. Emphasis on teach. Even college has teachers. The parent doesn't have to sit by the student and supervise every minute of the day, but he/she sure does need to be actively involved.

Off my soapbox...

Ria

I'm not convinced the OP was really, truly asking about "homeschooling themselves" even though those are the words she used.

I leave my boys alone during many afternoons a week, but they are definitely not entirely responsible for their education. I am. But they must complete quite a lot of work independently, and they do, and have done for years.

So as one poster said, it depends on how, on who, all that. On the three days / week I work, we sit down together from 8am to 11:30, and I do all the "teaching" that needs to be done. Generally there are problems to be solved or other assignments that I write down as we go (for the 12yo) and he completes them during the afternoon. He also reads in the afternoon. We go over the work in the evening. My older son does two classes at the community college and we have most of our time together to review his work on Saturday mornings. He also sits with us in the morning at the dining table to do his other work, so I'm available to answer questions.

The difficult thing about leaving the house for several hours, at first, was discipline, sitting right down at 8. And, in fact, I feel 8 is a little late, but (not to bash, just stating a fact), my husband likes to "help" in the mornings, and his help just isn't. And it's hard to say, "Honey, the best help you could give us would be simply to leave. Now."

But once we got into the rhythm, it worked. I used to work 4 days a week, and it was harder for me. Curiously, on the two days / week that I'm home, our afternoons are a bit of a disaster. I was even going to post a question here about how to rally and re-group for afternoon classes, because I've never truly had to do much of that, and haven't sorted it out yet (we're only three weeks into the new work schedule).

I'm not convinced the OP was really, truly asking about "homeschooling themselves" even though those are the words she used.

I leave my boys alone during many afternoons a week, but they are definitely not entirely responsible for their education. I am. But they must complete quite a lot of work independently, and they do, and have done for years.

So as one poster said, it depends on how, on who, all that. On the three days / week I work, we sit down together from 8am to 11:30, and I do all the "teaching" that needs to be done. Generally there are problems to be solved or other assignments that I write down as we go (for the 12yo) and he completes them during the afternoon. He also reads in the afternoon. We go over the work in the evening. My older son does two classes at the community college and we have most of our time together to review his work on Saturday mornings. He also sits with us in the morning at the dining table to do his other work, so I'm available to answer questions.

Ah, I see what you mean, having reread the OP. Yes, what you are suggesting is excellent advice. As long as the mom is still in instructor mode, there's no problem IMO with leaving the kids to do their work now and then. Makes sense. Sorry, OP, for misunderstanding your post.

Ria

for several hours each day alone? advice? warnings?

I just read your signature line. I wonder if we would be able to give more useful help if we had more information? Are you trying to think of a way to bring your children home and work? How old are your children and how many do you have? What's the sitch?

Many of us work here, many of us have come up with creative solutions to the work / school dilemma, and I'm sure there are women here who could help, if that is where your heart really is.

Ah, I see what you mean, having reread the OP. Yes, what you are suggesting is excellent advice. As long as the mom is still in instructor mode, there's no problem IMO with leaving the kids to do their work now and then. Makes sense. Sorry, OP, for misunderstanding your post.

Ria

Ria. Three years ago I was super stressed out about work and school, and my stress just made my brain melt. I was spinning my wheels, and beating myself up something awful. I read one of your posts on the old board, where you laid out your take on this very subject, and it smacked some sense into me, and I was finally able to figure out what the heck I was doing. Just wanted you to know.

I thought the OP was talking about making it work like we have when I've worked/gone to college. My first post addressed this balanced view which is all I took Katia's and your, Ria, posts as. Kids SHOULD work independently some. EVERY other high schooler has to both in class and for homework.

However, my response was to KarenNC. Supervising, checking up, and teaching as necessary are jobs of the homeschool parent. And making sure it works out is necessary. It certainly doesn't hinder teens in the least (though I do think the amount of handholding in high schools can). And like I said, college isn't nearly as unstructured, unsupervised, lacking help, and lacking accountability as some people like to think. Again, there is A LOT of freedom, but still plenty to keep kids on track also.

My dd is 16 and beginning last year she did much on her own. Each morning she goes over the day's work with me. I list or write down her assignments. She works on he assignments in the morning, does her chores, etc. She has softball practice in the afternoon. Each evening we go over anything she had difficulty with and I do math, literature, french review or extra stuff depending on the day of the week.

I could give my second grade dd a Saxon worksheet, a sheet of math facts, a copy work assignment, and a couple of chores, and she could do that independently while I ran an errand, got to an appointment, or worked with her older brother. That may not be what you are talking about, but my point is that most kids can handle a little independence, and that ability does increase as they age. I left my eldest son too much, gave him too much independence, and was totally unfair in my expectations of him to school himself. Balance is key. I totally agree that there is no such thing as a totally independent student, nor should there be.

My 7th grader does several hours of work unsupervised each day. I still have to correct it, and I do sit down with him throughout the week to discuss what he's learning, etc. I think we will probably continue doing things this way through high school, although the amount of work will increase, of course.

:iagree: When you can handle them failing on their own knowing the responsibility falls only on their shoulders.

:iagree: Mandy

I'm planning on having my, will be then, 10 year old be responsible for much of her own work next fall. I'm not leaving the house often, if at all during the school day. I think a certain amount of independence and responsibility is called for during middle school. Also the consequences if the work isn't done. I think this will help her learn to work on a deadline, and to work diligently.

For 5th grade I'm giving her a daily schedule, books, worksheets and anything else that is needed to completed independently for the day's assignments. She will be responsible for getting that work done in a timely manner. I'll be here if she has questions or needs extra instruction. Then at a set time, to be determined later, we will sit down together and complete any work that needs to be done together.

Work will be checked daily and anything that needs corrected and/or extra instruction will be homework for us.

I've stood over her for the last 4 years and spoon fed her information. This year is the beginning of our transition. I'm giving it 4 years to get to the point where she is responsible for completing assignments on her own, and I do a weekly check of work.

That doesn't mean I won't be teaching or available. It means that I am working her toward personal independence and responsibility.

If I write out very clear assignments and expectations, my 11 y.o. can work for several hours on his own. If help is not available, he's mature enough to try to look up other sources of help or skip and go on. He still needs an adult to organize, monitor, and check his work though.

My younger one is getting there, but will wander off and not finish things.

I am really touched by the thought put into all of your replies. Thank you for caring so, and for seeking to understand where I am coming from. I am basically speaking/asking theoretically right now to get a feel from others what is or is not wise or possible.

As I mentioned in my signature, my heart has never left homeschooling, but we have (financially) had to put the kids in school and put me to work for the last couple of years. We have always lived 'close to the edge' financially, and I am very frugal, so this was not a matter of just 'tightening the belt' so to speak. Our mortage doubled, and our house value plunged and we have no choice but to suck it up for now. After spending the past few years in pretty much dead end, low paying jobs, I have come to the conclusion that if I must work, I might as well become licensed to teach, since what I really am deep down inside is a teacher. Plus I will have summers and holidays off, and a decent salary with good benefits. Our health insurance will also then be free, since my husband is also a teacher.

I have enrolled in an intensive master's program for Special Education that will basically get me a master's and a teaching license by summer 2010. The program starts March 2 of this year, and all classes are at night. In August, I will be teaching in a classroom with a full contract while also continuing to study two nights per week.

The kids have done fine in school, but I hate that they are spending (wasting) so much of their time doing 'twaddle'. Anna Joy is 12 and in middle school, and Timmy is 10 and in fifth grade. Both would prefer to be homeschooled...

On top of this, we just an official diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome for Anna Joy. We have suspected this for years. She is an incredible girl, her teachers love her and enjoys school somewhat. She likes people, but truly misses the boat socially and it is becoming more and more obvious. She does not have a 'friend' aside from her brother, with whom she has a great relationship.

this is getting really long....I am going to start a new post about Asperger's and continue our story there. Thanks for listening. I believe in the wisdom of the masses here, and, again, appreciate your considerate understanding and input.

Yes, both went to college. Well, the oldest has graduated college and the other is now attending.

They didn't have any problems being totally responsible for scheduling their time since they had had very good training and example from me in that area. I require/required due dates on papers strictly and they are/were responsible to do what was required for any of their outside activities or suffer the consequences.

Both have/had academic scholarships and are keeping/kept them and their grades up very well.

But, they still needed supervision. Just because I didn't let them to their own devices in their teens doesn't mean we didn't work toward that goal.

Really, it isn't any different than dc coming from the public school situation where their school days are planned for them and then they go to college. My dc were better prepared than many of their ps friends there. Dd talked about one of the girls at college last semester (dd's first) that went into total melt-down mode and her parents had to come and pick her up and take her home for a week or so before she felt ready to go it again. Dd was surprised as she didn't find it as hard as everyone had said it would be.

Ds said college was easy compared to homeschool.

Well, that's been our experience.

Edit: Sorry to the OP if I missed what is was you were actually trying to ask. I'm still not sure what that was......but I just tried to give you an honest answer to the question I read.

Edited by Katia
to OP

Yes, both went to college. Well, the oldest has graduated college and the other is now attending.

They didn't have any problems being totally responsible for scheduling their time since they had had very good training and example from me in that area. I require/required due dates on papers strictly and they are/were responsible to do what was required for any of their outside activities or suffer the consequences.

Both have/had academic scholarships and are keeping/kept them and their grades up very well.

But, they still needed supervision. Just because I didn't let them to their own devices in their teens doesn't mean we didn't work toward that goal.

Really, it isn't any different than dc coming from the public school situation where their school days are planned for them and then they go to college. My dc were better prepared than many of their ps friends there. Dd talked about one of the girls at college last semester (dd's first) that went into total melt-down mode and her parents had to come and pick her up and take her home for a week or so before she felt ready to go it again. Dd was surprised as she didn't find it as hard as everyone had said it would be.

Ds said college was easy compared to homeschool.

Well, that's been our experience.

Edit: Sorry to the OP if I missed what is was you were actually trying to ask. I'm still not sure what that was......but I just tried to give you an honest answer to the question I read.

I have to run off to work now, but my question was basically.... Can kids be left alone to complete homeschool work daily-does anyone do this successfully? I would be completely involved, but not always there to jump in if needed. Is this being done by any of you wtm folk successfully? I am hoping to maybe bring the kids home again, but want to get some feedback, ideas first......

I did. I was 15 1/2 at the start. Some kids never can. Every child would be depressed and/or bored. I would be more worried about behavior and just their life than education IYKWIM.

I know one mom who says she would have been better off putting her son in PS than leaving him lonely all the time.

ETA: I'm sorry I did not read any other posts, only the OP.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Two of my children work fairly independently using BJU's DVD program. The program is not cheap, but if you get desperate it is worth a try. My oldest two are in 6th and 4th grade and do math, English, spelling, reading, handwriting, science and heritage studies mostly by themselves. I check on them throughout the morning and am available to answer questions. I also review their work around noon time which takes about 1/2 hour each child.

DVD homeschool might work for you if you needed time to study while they did school. I know you said that money is really tight, but by the time you add up the money spent on gas, school lunches, clothes and participating in fundraisers it might work out close to the same amount.

Good luck!

I have to run off to work now, but my question was basically.... Can kids be left alone to complete homeschool work daily-does anyone do this successfully? I would be completely involved, but not always there to jump in if needed. Is this being done by any of you wtm folk successfully? I am hoping to maybe bring the kids home again, but want to get some feedback, ideas first......

If you're asking if I would bring my children home from school while I worked full-time away from home, and leave them home alone all day to educate themselves... no, I have to say that I would not, at any age. Children deserve a teacher, imo, and if both dh and I had to work away from home every day, I would consider them better off in a classroom, even in high school.

I am probably going to pursue a path similar to yours (masters with teacher certification) in the coming years, but I am postponing that until my kids are ready to go to school full-time. At the earliest that will be when my youngest starts high school, which will be in 8 years. If at that time we realize that she needs to be homeschooled through high school, then I won't start for 12 years.

If your heart is still deeply into homeschooling, would there be any way to put off your career plans for a few years, and work with your husband on ways to bring in extra money until that time?

May I ask what kind of schedule you give him? Do you use a certain form or program? I'd like to work towards a goal of having ds work from a schedule (with me to help explain the math lesson or whatever needs an explanation).

When you say "a progression" what has that looked like for you and your ds?

Thanks. :001_smile:

I have used a student planner and just update it weekly with the assignments for dc to check off.

Figure it's going to be good training for college and keeping a daytimer. :001_smile:

If you're asking if I would bring my children home from school while I worked full-time away from home, and leave them home alone all day to educate themselves... no, I have to say that I would not, at any age. Children deserve a teacher, imo, and if both dh and I had to work away from home every day, I would consider them better off in a classroom, even in high school.

I am probably going to pursue a path similar to yours (masters with teacher certification) in the coming years, but I am postponing that until my kids are ready to go to school full-time. At the earliest that will be when my youngest starts high school, which will be in 8 years. If at that time we realize that she needs to be homeschooled through high school, then I won't start for 12 years.

If your heart is still deeply into homeschooling, would there be any way to put off your career plans for a few years, and work with your husband on ways to bring in extra money until that time?

NNNNOOOO! I have no career plans!

My career plan was to raise and educate my kids!!!!!!!!

I am going into this teaching program kicking and screaming!!!!!

We have been working together to bring in extra money for years now, and are just not making it anymore since our MORTAGE DOUBLED. My husband teaches full time and has been tutoring also since we married.

sorry to shout. I don't want to be misunderstood.

And I wasn't really asking whether or not I should do it, just what people's thoughts, wisdom, warnings would be about having kids work independently.

I will not leave my kids at home alone all day to do school.

NNNNOOOO! I have no career plans!

My career plan was to raise and educate my kids!!!!!!!!

I am going into this teaching program kicking and screaming!!!!!

We have been working together to bring in extra money for years now, and are just not making it anymore since our MORTAGE DOUBLED. My husband teaches full time and has been tutoring also since we married.

sorry to shout. I don't want to be misunderstood.

And I wasn't really asking whether or not I should do it, just what people's thoughts, wisdom, warnings would be about having kids work independently.

I will not leave my kids at home alone all day to do school.

Sorry, I guess I'm not following. I thought I understood how the info you presented fit together, but I must have misunderstood. I'm sorry what I said wasn't helpful to you. Best wishes on whatever you decide!

Now, I personally had my daughter do A LOT for herself. I gave her long term goals and she made the shorter term ones to meet the requirement. I also didn't get involved in classes she took outside the home (no asking about homework or studying, no discussion about daily/weekly/test grades, etc past what she volunteered). But I was here when she had a question, could help as needed, taught the Biology co-op, and the list goes on.

College is more structured that what she did but she didn't "homeschool herself."

I believe the issue here is a difference in what folks are meaning by "homeschool themselves".

I saw a world of difference between what I understood from the OP ---which was "when can students do asssignments/work independently for several hours without direct supervision/input"---and what I understood from Katia---which was "students can never be expected to work without the direct in-person involvement of the teacher at all times, including scheduling her work for her and constantly reminding her to stay on task."

What I did *not* get from the OP was "throw the kids out there and require them to self select all material, teach themselves, etc with absolutely no input or involvement from the parent at all ever". What I did not get from Katia's initial post was any sense that students benefit from taking on increasing amount of responsibility for their own work, including scheduling and staying on task, as they get older in order to prepare for the demands of adult life, and by the time they are teens should be able to do a lot of things without handholding.

Further posts have clarified each poster's position, and they are not the ones I initially understood. My point was that by the time a student reaches college, they need to be able to select courses, follow a syllabus, plan to meet deadlines, pace themselves, take responsibility for their own class attendance, balance schoolwork with other interests, etc. without 24 hour help from a parent. It would not be reasonable to either throw them to the wolves as teens or to do so much for them as teens that they are essentially thrown to the wolves when they reach college. It's always a balancing act.

Again, I am touched by all your posting encouragement. I am sort of panicking here, but havent' been very clear in my questions. I will write/ask more when my head is a bit more clear, because I do value the collective wisdom here. But internet communication is sort of tricksy....and I am tired.