Menu

I need to confess something.

I've never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I know, I know. I lived through the 80s! My friends were all punk/grunge/New Wave! They went all the time! How could I have missed The. Cultural. Event. of the Decade!?!!!

I did.

I think it had to do with the fact that my boyfriend through high school never wanted to go. :001_unsure:

But I do know all the words to Time Warp. Can I still be in the club???

If it redeems me at all: I have all of the Holy Grail and Young Frankenstein memorized. I'm fun at parties.

Pleeeeze let me stay!

I've seen it more than enough times. So, I can just shove a few of my "credits" over into your log book.

Sadly, I even have photographic evidence of my Rocky Horror phase. And, no, I won't post them. So, don't ask.

What's worse is that I even know all of the lyrics to the songs from the sort-of sequel, Shock Treatment.

Ah, youth . . .

You will likely be very disappointed if you ever see it. I think for some people it was an "experience", but the movie in and of itself is boopid (my 3 year old's word).

You know? That was my take on it the first time I saw it, too. However, as the years have gone by, I've gained a new appreciation for it as a film. Tim Curry, in my opinion, probably deserved an Oscar nomination for throwing himself into that role. (I said that for years, by the way, before I read the same thing in Entertainment Weekly some time ago.)

In general, I think there's more to the film than appears on the surface. And it helps if you've seen some of the types of movies of which it is a parody.

The music is fun, too.

It wasn't the movie, it was the experience.

Going to downtown Denver, the Ogden Theater, which wasn't in the best of neighborhoods, at midnight...freaked my Mom out more than me.

I went to watch the people. That was what was so fun. They were crazy.

We watched the movie last Halloween on TV. It was boring, it was stupid, and we didn't care for it--but it sure brought back fun memories.

I was just thinking about RHPS the other day - specifically, WHAT WERE MY PARENTS THINKING??!!

They must have *really* been clueless to let me go, at midnight, into the city, at 16, with a carful of teenage girls to see that show. (They were otherwise extremely strict.)

I'm even a bit apalled at myself that I had the entire soundtrack memorized for more than a year before I was allowed to go see it.

Geesh.

I remember the movie more for the experience than anything else. Can you even get into a theater with props anymore?

I love Tim Curry as an actor. The other day we were watching The Three Musketeers and my ds says "I know who that is!" My dh and I kind of snickered, then he says, "It's the guy from one of the Home Alone movies."

"ah, yes dear, that's it." :lol::lol:

I saw it in a theater that had actors doing things during the show. Sometimes they were dancing at the front, sometimes they were throwing toilet paper, sometimes running and screaming.

Another one that I went and watched that I thought was MUCH better (and still wonder what was I thinking) is Pink Floyd the Wall. I still have that cd and listen to it sometimes. ;)

I never saw it either.

Of course, I was born in 75, so I have an excuse :tongue_smilie:.

I was born in '77 and have seen it 4 times. So age is not an excuse.

I've seen it on stage with live actors and at the movie theater with people acting it out as the movie plays behind them.

Lots of fun.

It's just a jump to the left.....

It wasn't the movie, it was the experience.

Going to downtown Denver, the Ogden Theater, which wasn't in the best of neighborhoods, at midnight...freaked my Mom out more than me.

I went to watch the people. That was what was so fun. They were crazy.

We watched the movie last Halloween on TV. It was boring, it was stupid, and we didn't care for it--but it sure brought back fun memories.

That's where I saw it too! How funny! One of the "performers" (for lack of a better word) was an old friend of mine from jr high and saw me in line, so our plan of sneaking directly into the seats and not going through the ritual at the beginning of the movie was totally foiled. :glare:

I'm totally laughing over here. I do think the actual experience of seeing the movie in the theater is completely different than renting it now. And, I'd probably think it was really lame today at the tender age of 38. I must admit though, it did give me a certain level of "coolness" at the time to be able to say I saw it.

Here's another confession for you. I never saw it either, but if you asked my parents, they would tell you that I saw it many times. Since it usually showed at midnight, I would tell them that I was going to see it so that I could stay out later. Fortunately, they never actually asked me about it. :blushing:

Last summer my teenage son and I went to a community theater performance of the RHPS. There was a guy in the front row who had all of the lines that people shout during the movie memorized and thus "performed" as well, all to my son's complete astonishment. Families were there with all the props. The play ended with everyone in the audience dancing with the cast. It was fun, wacky, and created some interesting discussion on fan obsession.

My son's opinion? The band was great, the storyline? Well, weird....

This may be the new way of seeing Rocky Horror although not all of the theater companies out there want people throwing rice, etc.

There was a guy in the front row who had all of the lines that people shout during the movie memorized and thus "performed" as well, all to my son's complete astonishment.

Standard way to see the RHPS, and that's why I love it. It's not the movie itself. It's the fan reaction, the experience of re-enacting a movie with audience members in the theater. It's going in costume with a newspaper, squirt guns, rice, noise makers, and, most importantly, toast to toss into the air when they say, "A toast!", and playing the movie like it's an interactive community game.

I remember the movie more for the experience than anything else.

It was the time, it was the place. It was a group experience and the show was the audience. Not sure if it is worth it if you are over 21. I particularly enjoyed my shy, retiring friend yelling things like "You have No Neck! Did your mother have a neck?" and my "guide" giggling non-stop while having me comb the house for the items I was to bring. Ah, youth.

(I also remember Animal House in a college town with the audience in togas, doing food fights during the food fights, and someone brought an old guitar to smash, etc.).

What a small world. I was thinking perhaps we saw it at the same time, but I'm 43 and saw it when I was in high school so I doubt you were there then.

That's where I saw it too! How funny! One of the "performers" (for lack of a better word) was an old friend of mine from jr high and saw me in line, so our plan of sneaking directly into the seats and not going through the ritual at the beginning of the movie was totally foiled. :glare:

I'm totally laughing over here. I do think the actual experience of seeing the movie in the theater is completely different than renting it now. And, I'd probably think it was really lame today at the tender age of 38. I must admit though, it did give me a certain level of "coolness" at the time to be able to say I saw it.