Menu

K level math--what do you use?

Jayne J

For my ds (5) I bought a math workbook (The Big Book of Numbers) at the beginning of the year, intending to use it as our math curriculum--I mean, it's K level math, I can just fill in the gaps, right? Ahem. It is poorly put together for our needs, and I find myself floundering trying to explain concepts (like tens and ones). I understand the concepts but find it hard to explain and the workbook has no explanations at all. I need something that helps me a little.

What do you recommend for a mid-year change? (keeping in mind that this year's budget is gone baby gone.) Thanks!!

I don't do a formal math program in K. I use the suggestions in the MFW K program. 100 chart, straw cup or money cup, calendar pages and graphing weather. In first we move to R&S 1.

The straw cup has been the best. Every day we added a straw to our cup. When we got to ten straws we bundled them w/ a rubberband. Then we counted our days by tens and then ones. He has a frim grasp of place value because of it.

We tried several programs and our best fit was Right Start. :001_smile: However, if you need something inexpensive, Math Mammoth is thorough and you could probably either go through the grade 1 (light blue) slowly, or download worksheets for specific concepts (like place value).

Singapore Earlybird 2A and 2B are meant for kindergarten and are inexpensive, as well.

For my ds (5) I bought a math workbook (The Big Book of Numbers) at the beginning of the year, intending to use it as our math curriculum--...It is poorly put together for our needs, and I find myself floundering trying to explain concepts (like tens and ones). I understand the concepts but find it hard to explain and the workbook has no explanations at all. I need something that helps me a little.

I know. These workbooks are intended as extra practice after a child has been taught a concept. They do not help you teach a concept. They rarely even have examples. They assume none of these things are new concepts for the child; the book is for extra review of previously learned concepts.

I plan to use A Beka K5 with my Kindergartener in the fall. For now we are counting on a 100 chart, observing numbers everywhere in our environment, and adding marbles.

My dd is in k and we used MCP (Modern Curriculum Press) for math. I was drawn to it by the fact that it could be done without needing an espensive manipulative pack. We used whatever was handy to count with when needed (usually Skittles!). We finished in in half the year (we did not skip lessons, but doubled up on a few at the beginning). It's written for classroom use, but is easily tailored to hs. Just skip whatever activites you don't want to do from the TM. HTH!

I know. These workbooks are intended as extra practice after a child has been taught a concept. They do not help you teach a concept. They rarely even have examples. They assume none of these things are new concepts for the child; the book is for extra review of previously learned concepts.

I plan to use A Beka K5 with my Kindergartener in the fall. For now we are counting on a 100 chart, observing numbers everywhere in our environment, and adding marbles.

I second A Beka K5 or Horizons. We have the Singapore books and there's not enough parental instruction for me. I also have MUS Primer. I'll use it with something next year (1st) because I LOVE their explanation of decimal street.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry all for the long delay before my humble thanks to all who have responded--life and the world have come between me and my computer:D. I'm looking at all of your suggestions and hope to make a decision soon. Let this be a lesson to me--never assume I am smarter than a k'er, let alone a 5th grader.

For K I've tried various math programs: horizons, singapore, abeka, right start. I found right start A to be the best foundation for math, but then I started teaching right start B and realized that this was everything that I had taught them last year in A just more in depth. So I decided to stop baning my head against a brick wall and just start with level B when they are in the first grade. For K we do play math games and work on beginning addition. We use the abacus and math games from Right Start. So if you want a math program go with Right Start. Since you are likely more than halfway through kindergarten you could easily start with level B and just take it slowly for the rest of the year. then review for the beginning of first grade and continue in in RS B.

For my ds (5) I bought a math workbook (The Big Book of Numbers) at the beginning of the year, intending to use it as our math curriculum--I mean, it's K level math, I can just fill in the gaps, right? Ahem. It is poorly put together for our needs, and I find myself floundering trying to explain concepts (like tens and ones). I understand the concepts but find it hard to explain and the workbook has no explanations at all. I need something that helps me a little.

What do you recommend for a mid-year change? (keeping in mind that this year's budget is gone baby gone.) Thanks!!

RightStart--buy used and resell. You can fake a lot of the manipulatives. :-)

We love Math U See too. My youngest is in K, and she's using Alpha. If you go that route, I would just skip Primer and take Alpha slowly. Then you wouldn't have to buy anything for next year.

This is what we are doing with ds in K. I wasn't planning on beginning a formal math curriculum with him this year, but he was ready and interested. We are taking it slowly; we are on lesson 7.:D He is having a ball getting to learn the manipulatives and feeling like a big boy.

I will say that the very first lesson was the hardest. Place value is a very big concept for a little person. I took that "mastery" idea very seriously, and we just didn't move on until he really got it. We *have* taken little breaks and played with games and other manipulatives some weeks. I am totally unconcerned about the pace, because we're ahead of the game, anyway. He is loving it!

I don't use a Kindergarten curriculum. We're Math U See fans here and I see no purpose in their Primer lever. According the MUS, if the kids can recognize, write, and count numbers 0-9, they are ready for their Alpha level in first grade which puts them on target to do Algebra in 8th grade. We spend Kindergarten working on those concepts and the six Kindergartners that I've had so far pick up those and so much more just from life. Play some games, do some cooking, and your child will be just fine with no more money spent!

I don't follow the Bluedorn's delayed math obviously since I put my 1st graders in a curriculum, but I think their article on 10 Things to do with a Child under 10 is some of the best advice out there! http://www.triviumpursuit.com/downloads/index.php

Joy!

Lisa