Menu

Does anyone else really dislike talking on the phone?

I'm sure I'm in the minority. After all this is the cell phone era. I've never liked talking on the phone. I have listed some baby items for sale on some local boards here. Today I got an email asking me to call her to talk about one of the items. I am just cringing. Why can't I email her back? I don't know this person. Argh!

Am I completely weird or does anyone else really dislike talking on the phone too?

Not weird. I really don't care to talk on the phone for very long & certainly don't want to make phone calls, especially to people I don't know. I'm usually very glad when the answering machine picks up so I can just leave a message. I tried to make myself call a doctor today to make a follow-up appointment, & found ways to procrastinate until it was past their closing time. Jacqui

:seeya: That would be me. I really don't care for talking on the phone. Well, to clarify, I don't like that rambling part of small talk that so inevitably comes with it. I'd love it if everyone I talked to (family and friends included) would feel free to treat a phone call much like instant messaging; say or ask what you meant nicely but to the point. I have people in my life who really spell love by time on the phone sometimes. It means the world to them to just chat and such for 30min on the phone. I love 'em but it drives me bonkers! LOL

I work at home with 85% of it being on the phone. I love that. To the point and move on!

I much prefer email, too.

Last year I went back to work part-time. I work as a pharmacy technician. The first time I answered the phone I was so completely befuddled that I had to put the person on hold just to take a few deep breaths! And even just a few weeks ago I had to leave a message on an answering machine...it wasn't pretty. I think I completely forgot to say who I was or why I was calling...

Ria

Another phone-phobic person here. I will call friends if I know they're in distress or if I have something specific to say/ask, but otherwise I prefer to communicate via e-mail, IM, forum, etc. I am not a small-talker, which is probably most of my problem. I absolutely despise calling businesses, too. When DH wants pizza, either he calls or we use the one pizza delivery place in our area that will allow online orders. I would love it if all the doctors that we use would allow online appointment-making, but that has yet to happen.

The odd thing is that I used to be a reporter and spent most of my work day making phone calls or talking to strange people. I tell people that I overloaded and now I'm detoxing. ;)

I highly dislike talking on the phone. I cringe when it rings, and I put off making appointments and dealing with things that can only be done over the phone.

This is exactly how I feel too unless it's my dh, kids or mother.

I do love my cell and I use it to read and send emails to all the people I won't speak to over the phone. :)

That is totally me. I hate hate hate talking on the phone. When I list stuff for sale on a message board, I write "No phone calls please, contact through email only." Seriously, that's what I write. Its much easier through email, especailly when having to talk to a "stranger." I've never been a phone talker. I'm a shy person by nature and I guess that's just a part of it for me. The only person I talk to for longer than a few minutes is either my mom or my DH.

I really hate talking on the phone. I avoid it whenever possible. However, when I do have to talk on the phone, I have to be alone. I cannot talk on the phone while there are people around me; it completely stresses me out. According to a personality test I took ages ago, this is apparently a common trait of introverts ( and I am a card-carrying introvert).

I really dislike talking on the phone. I will put off making phone calls, even necessary ones, as long as possible. Even important things like home repairs and doctor's appointments.

So, of course, a group study program I absolutely love to participate in has a mandatory phone call component. :glare: Well, I am certainly learning new things now. :lol:

Am I completely weird or does anyone else really dislike talking on the phone too?

I avoid the phone at all costs. I hate it. I don't even like to talk to my partner on the phone when he's been gone for a week.

BTW, every time you post, my head tunes in to Paul Simon and I wonder if you rolled out of bed and ran to the police station.

Hatessss the phone (think of Gollum there).

We just had all of our staff over for lunch yesterday after church and were talking about it together. Personally I would be happy if my phone never rang again, and I feel like my phone is for my convenience - not yours. In my little world, that means I am not obligated to answer the phone just because you want to talk to me right now.

However, one of the other pastor's wives said she feels like hearing a voice is important part of relationships. She feels like people who won't call her and expect her to only communicate by email are being insensitive to her communication needs.

Great! Now I have guilt! (think Toy Story here.) :tongue_smilie:

I am also a phone hater. I take phone calls for work, so when I am off work no phones. I have trained people not to call, because they can never get a hold of me.

I love calling my dad(he is also a phone hater). The longest conversation we had on the phone was 4 min!

I do have to say that I will call people back only if I know they will not keep me on the phone. I have one friend that will spend 4-5 hrs a day on the phone. That would drive me crazy!:blink:

I'm sure I'm in the minority. After all this is the cell phone era. I've never liked talking on the phone. I have listed some baby items for sale on some local boards here. Today I got an email asking me to call her to talk about one of the items. I am just cringing. Why can't I email her back? I don't know this person. Argh!

Then I had to take a job where I was on the phone all day - selling engineering services. I hated the job, but I got used to using the phone. I still steel myself to make calls sometimes, but I can do it.

Laura

I really hate talking on the phone. I avoid it whenever possible. However, when I do have to talk on the phone, I have to be alone. I cannot talk on the phone while there are people around me; it completely stresses me out. According to a personality test I took ages ago, this is apparently a common trait of introverts ( and I am a card-carrying introvert).

Really? That is interesting!! I hate talking on the phone....but when I must do it, I have to go into a room alone and shut the door. Weird LOL!!

I really dislike talking on the phone, too. I much prefer e-mail.

Me!

I get annoyed talking to people on the phone, because there is that "feeling" that you need to talk. (Rather, they have that feeling.)

But, I do have friends that I talk to on the phone, and I'd rather talk to them than email them. . .so, it depends on the context.

If it's for conversation, then, I'm good on the phone. If I need an appt. or some information, or something else along those lines, I'd rather email.

I am so relieved to find other phone-a-phobics. It actually sometimes makes me a little anxious whenever it does ring. Marvelous hubby makes the calls for appointments and take out. Teenage son has not inherited my dislike and could chat for hours.

i have been in homes where the phone rings almost constantly and it drives me nuts. I have a cell phone for emergencies but often have to trade it with hubby or son so they can use up my backlog of unused minutes.