Menu

What are your favorite family games???

I want us to start playing more games together as a family. We have a game closet with a decent number of games, but I would like to add a few more. Tell me what your favorites are. Our kids range from 12 down to 3. Educational games are great, but I am interested in those that are not necessarily in that category as well.

TIA!

We love love love Settlers of Catan. All of us are totally addicted. We are looking forward to getting the expansion sets to add to the mix.

We also like another game we got for Christmas called You've Been Sentenced. It is really creative and educational, and on the other hand it really cracks us all up. We found it from Rainbow Resources. You each get ten cards that have five variations of the same word around it. You then have to try and make a sentence using as many of your cards that you can. Each word has varying point values. Then when everyone makes their sentence the "jury" decides if the word makes sense and argues the points with the creator. Then the other members vote as well. And my ds does not even realize that it is educational because it gets so silly.

Other than that, we always love classics like Monopoly Clone Wars addition, Scrabbble. Our family really enjoys playing games together in the evening to enjoy each other with no media on.

We like Clue, Sorry, Trouble for playing with the kids. I think Monopoly would be fun too - I'm going to get Horseopoly for my horse-crazy girls for their birthdays. :)

I *LOVE LOVE LOVE* Bananagrams. If I could find someone else to play with me, I would have Bananagram parties. It is the most fun game EVER. I don't like games much, but this involves words and no scoring - lots of FUN. Not so much for littles, but I would think your 12 yo could certainly play it.

Well, our oldest is four.....so it is still kinda difficult to play games the require too much skill LOL. But as a family we play a lot of the usual Candy Land. My DD got Disney Yahtzee Jr for Christmas, as well as Rhino Rampage and Phase Ten Jr. I like Disney Yahtzee, but the others are just okay.

When we get together with other people, we really really really LOVE Catch Phrase. Your 12 year old should be able to handle it....but definitely not the little ones.

I think we'll have a lot of fun playing family games as the kids get older.....right now its still in the "babyish" category though LOL.

I want us to start playing more games together as a family. We have a game closet with a decent number of games, but I would like to add a few more. Tell me what your favorites are. Our kids range from 12 down to 3. Educational games are great, but I am interested in those that are not necessarily in that category as well.

TIA!

Scattegoris (can't remember how to spell it), Outburst, Scrabble, Sorry, Pick-up sticks, Clue, Life, Yahtzee, Boggle (also a word game), Rummy (cards), Golf (cards).

Most of these can be taught to young children. Scrabble and Boggle may be hard for little ones without help.

:D

Does our Wii count:D Seriously, we love playing together on it.

Ok, I know you asked about board games. Blokus and Blokus Trigon are favorites here. Easy to play with the big age span we have. We also enjoy Boggle (the younger one gets to make words without the letters touching). Doodle Dice is also a fun game that works well with a span of ages.

I *LOVE LOVE LOVE* Bananagrams. If I could find someone else to play with me, I would have Bananagram parties. It is the most fun game EVER. I don't like games much, but this involves words and no scoring - lots of FUN. Not so much for littles, but I would think your 12 yo could certainly play it.

To Beth who loves Banagrams- I will come play with you! I love how fluid it is as you build and tear apart the words.

My teen received Bananagrams as a gift recently and the entire family has enjoyed it. (I'd say about ten and up unless your children are very verbal.)

Other games we enjoy:

Rat-a-Tat Cat

SET

Quiddler

Clue

Fluxx

Wise and Otherwise

Ravensburger has some great games for younger children. A favorite of ours was Snail's Pace Race. It's a very non-competitive game since the snails win or lose the game NOT the players. It's geared for ages three and up.

Regards,

Kareni

We are big game players - each Labor Day Weekend our friends gather and play games Thr evening thru Sun afternoon. It's called the Bar Convention (Bar is the nickname of our friend who hosts the event). He gets really into it - a yearly theme, a silent auction, gift baggies to those that register, online registration, a schedule (that is adhered to loosely), a big BBQ finale, even a business sponsorship ... I can go on and on... 30+ participants every year. 2009 will be the 6th year.

Amongst our favorite games:

Ticket to Ride

Carcassonne **** We love it so much, we have all the expansion sets.

Settlers of Catan

Werewolf

Loot

Saboteur

Guillotene

The Great Dalmuti

and our newest favorite:

Cheeky Monkey **** Fun for even the youngest players!

My DD is 6 years old and is capable of playing all of these independently... she frequently beats us in fact! Then again, she's been playing in our lap since she was born (either in a wrap or sitting up right).