Menu

What is your favorite "why you should homeschool" book?

My brother would like his wife to homeschool their daughter (with his involvement too). Their daughter will be in kindergarten next fall. His wife, however, is on the fence about it. I wanted to give her a book that would encourage her as to why it is a good choice. I never really read any books like that because I was convinced from the beginning so most of the books I own are about choosing curriculum. Any ideas?

p.s. Let's all just assume that the "we all have to do what is best for our own family" angle is covered, OK? I do not want to debate the topic, I just need book ideas. Thanks! :D

The 2 books that influenced me the most were:

The Well Trained Mind and So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel.

I will tell you that I found both of these after we decided to homeschool, but if I'd had them when my now 14DD was in K we would started homeschooling from the beginning instead of pulling the kids out of public school when DD was in 5th grade.

For me, they were the "wish I'd read these years ago" kinda books.

I also recommend The Latin Centered Curriculum.

ETA: I realize these are not "why you should" homeschool books, but for me they would have been because they showed that I could homeschool my kids and give them a better education than I received.

Edited by H.S. Burrow

How about A Thomas Jefferson Education? I'm reading that one right now. It's not specifically about homeschooling but it definitely makes you think about what your kids will get in any other system.

I also love the first few chapters of Teaching the Trivium for a treatise on why one should consider homeschooling.

ETA: I realize these are not "why you should" homeschool books, but for me they would have been because they showed that I could homeschool my kids and give them a better education than I received.

I agree. The Well-Trained Mind, Gatto, and Holt were all quite inspirational in the incredible benefits of homeschooling.

IMNSHO, inspiration is worth much, much more than a "why you should" do anything manual.

Hi Heather,

There are many books that I love about homeschooling, and I've read everything from the Moore's to now trying to read Climbing Parnassus, but I think a quick little read about why you want a home centered education is Leigh Bortins' Echo in Celebration. You can get it with this free download to preview at http://classicalconversations.com/ Agreeing with Classical Conversations' or not...it's a nice view on your home being the most important and it is Classical at the center. (according to what she considers classical)

Carrie:-)

"Home Educated and Now Adults" by Brian D. Ray. It's chock full of data on homeschooling. When I was originally researching the viability of homeschooling myself I found myself frustrated by the lack of objective data either for or against homeschooling. All of the information seemed to be biased toward one direction or the other with very little solid research behind it. This book provides that.

Hey Heather. Please know that I am saying this in love. Is this the same SIL that you posted about several weeks ago? The one who "let herself go" since they got married? If so, do you really think it is a good idea to get involved in this husband/wife decision?

I know your heart, but I'm not sure she wouldn't feel attacked if you gave her the book. Maybe give your brother some suggestions that he can read, and then he can encourage her.

:grouphug:

The entire text of Gatto's Underground History of American Education is available online. I am currently reading his Weapons of Mass Instruction and it's a more concise version of the same information. Anyone on the fence will be taking a flying jump off of it after reading a couple of chapters of Gatto.

Of course, if you're willing to part with it, you may want to share your copy of TWTM! ;)

-Robin

"An Underground History of American Education" by John Gatto is the ONE. By the time I finished that book, I was a homeschooler to the bone. I would have done anything to keep my kid out of school through about age 7 at least.

"Homeschooling: A Tapestry of Days" is another great one. It contains descriptions of many different homeschooling families--each one having contributed an essay about their homeschooling and their family, and a detailed description of one day in their homeschool. This is great because you can picture in your head all different kinds of homeschooling while reading a book like this. It's more doable once you have a vision. I remember before I started being able to picture curricula but not how to really use it. (It didn't help that some of the first curricula I saw were very non-directive, like Primary Language Lessons, and a writing book that somehow failed to enable me to picture teaching writing to anyone).

Agree with "Family Matters" and would add "And the Skylark Sings With Me" as a very well-written book in a similar vein.

"

"Homeschooling: A Tapestry of Days" is another great one. It contains descriptions of many different homeschooling families--each one having contributed an essay about their homeschooling and their family, and a detailed description of one day in their homeschool. This is great because you can picture in your head all different kinds of homeschooling while reading a book like this. It's more doable once you have a vision. I remember before I started being able to picture curricula but not how to really use it. (It didn't help that some of the first curricula I saw were very non-directive, like Primary Language Lessons, and a writing book that somehow failed to enable me to picture teaching writing to anyone).

I liked it, too. I would love something like that in DVD form so you could really see what people were doing.

That being said, what are her reservations? A book that addresses that would be best. At the K/1st grade level, you really do spend less time than you would spend getting them ready for school, driving around getting them, etc., you could also play that up.

Edited by ElizabethB

I really like For the Children's Sake. It is pro homeschooling but it isn't an in your face type of argument. It would make her feel successful even if she does want to put her dd in school and afterschool instead. It's more about enriching your child's life and encouraging their growth as a person in all areas.

I have to chime in with Dumbing Us Down being good. I like it for the same reason that he doesn't come from a homeschool is the only way position. Now it might end up there, but there's something more reassuring about a teacher saying that it's pretty much a lost cause. Kind of like when you can say that your _________(insert family member) is an idiot, but some one else saying the same thing is reprehensible to you and you'd defend your family member.

Another book I like which isn't exactly a homeschooling book is The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. It talks about being a wholehearted mother and not being divided in your attitudes towards your children. You know inwardly counting down the days until they leave your home and feeling like everything that you have to do for them is such a burden. Sally is very pro homeschooling and it comes through but it is another book that could be helpful to her without hitting her over the head with your viewpoint.

HTH

The first HS book I read was "The Ultimate Guide to Home Schooling" by Debra Bell. It's a nice overview of the whys and why nots. It touches on approaches and learning styles, but does not get into CM, classical, unschooling, ect. It's a really great intro to hsing. I would hesitate to hand WTM over to someone who could be overwhelmed easily. WTM has the ability to inspire and/or terrify.

Real Education by Charles Murray (well researched and explained book about why our schools are failing and what to do about it...homeschooling encouraged as an answer to the problems but not in a "you must do this" way, but in an educated, well thought out way.)

Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson (an excellent book all around to encourage moms and to see the eternal value of motherhood and teaching your children)