Menu

Is this an old wives' tale?

My three-year-old has no desire greater than to wear his superhero cape to bed. My mother used to tell us it was hazardous, that we could suffocate in our sleep that way. Is it true?

It seems like he's old enough that he'd have the wherewithal to move the cape if it does happen to pull against his neck just the right way to choke him. The whole cape is a single layer of felt, cut to have a neck band that we tie in the front.

I just don't know. It's bedtime in twenty minutes. What says the hive?

My three-year-old has no desire greater than to wear his superhero cape to bed. My mother used to tell us it was hazardous, that we could suffocate in our sleep that way. Is it true?

It seems like he's old enough that he'd have the wherewithal to move the cape if it does happen to pull against his neck just the right way to choke him. The whole cape is a single layer of felt, cut to have a neck band that we tie in the front.

I just don't know. It's bedtime in twenty minutes. What says the hive?

I wouldn't worry about suffication but choking would be a concern. If it was choking him, he could become unconcious before becoming aware of it.

Could you just explain that superheros need to rest and that they always put their cape near their bed just in case they need it in a hurry. ;)

I wish. He's still not convinced that superheroes have genitalia/ever go to the bathroom, so I have to argue the point with him three times a day (or carry him to the toilet by force). This is a kid who has been fully trained for a year. I'm so carefully watching to be sure that he never sees a superhero hit someone. His siblings would be doomed.

Could you just explain that superheros need to rest and that they always put their cape near their bed just in case they need it in a hurry. ;)

I love this option! Will the superhero believe it or not?

Completely different subject: Is your avatar a pic of the "Endurance"?

Not an old wive's tale. Anything around a child's neck is a strangulation hazard. Children under 5 are at the greatest risk, but it's a danger to anyone.

Planning to remove or untie it after he falls asleep is not a good idea - - strangling can be a very quick, quiet death; it is very plausible that you could be in the next room and hear nothing until it's too late.

During the day, loops can easily get caught on doorknobs, playground equipment, and so forth.

This particular problem is easily solved: anything that goes around a child's neck needs to break away under pressure. Superhero capes should never tie shut, whistles and such need to be on snap-away lanyards, and so forth.

Last February, a four-year-old little girl in my area strangled to death on the ribbon wrapped around her birthday gift. It was late afternoon, she was wide awake, and adults were in the house, in and out of the room she was playing in. She apparently tumbled off the bed while looking at the gift, and the ribbon looped around the bedpost.