Menu

S/O of kids just stopping by…..does anyone else have a driveway alarm?

Ottakee

I am single and no desire to run around naked so neither of those issues are a concern for me.

That said. I want a bit of warning when people are coming to the door.  I have a driveway alarm that lets me know when a person or vehicle comes in our yard.  It costs about $35-50 on Amazon and takes just a few minutes to install.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I am single and no desire to run around naked so neither of those issues are a concern for me.

That said. I want a bit of warning when people are coming to the door.  I have a driveway alarm that lets me know when a person or vehicle comes in our yard.  It costs about $35-50 on Amazon and takes just a few minutes to install.

Is it a camera or like a door bell or what?

We don't, but I know someone who does.  They have a long driveway and set it back from the road far enough for people to turn around because otherwise they'd get bothered multiple times per day by kids on bikes or people just turning around. They found it helpful.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

Is it a camera or like a door bell or what?

Driveway alarm

I just bought this one.  Works great and was inexpensive.  The alarm tones aren’t my favorite but for the price it is just fine.

we have the alarm plugged in the kitchen and then the sensor on a tree by the driveway.   There are many different types depending on your needs.  Some only do cars, some people and animals too, etc.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Katy said:

We don't, but I know someone who does.  They have a long driveway and set it back from the road far enough for people to turn around because otherwise they'd get bothered multiple times per day by kids on bikes or people just turning around. They found it helpful.

That is when I first got one as the living area of my house was to the back and we had a long driveway.  I wanted warning someone was in the yard.

We do, but it's more of a DIY thing (because DH has the skillset to DIY such a thing). Basically there's a camera that looks down my driveway to the street. It alerts my phone and whatever other device we setup to things (again whatever we set it up for). I think the end goal is that we get alerts on our phones and we can use the phone to answer the door, which can at some point may be connected to the door lock, and lock and unlock the door as well. 

DH has grand plans for this thing. 

• Haha 2

I bought a driveway alarm when we first moved in because the only way to see the driveway from the house is by going out into the garage. However, every squirrel that passed by set it off, so I eventually donated it and I haven't missed it.

28 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I bought a driveway alarm when we first moved in because the only way to see the driveway from the house is by going out into the garage. However, every squirrel that passed by set it off, so I eventually donated it and I haven't missed it.

Ours can be set to avoid that issue…..but if not, that would be highly annoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

We do, but it's more of a DIY thing (because DH has the skillset to DIY such a thing). Basically there's a camera that looks down my driveway to the street. It alerts my phone and whatever other device we setup to things (again whatever we set it up for). I think the end goal is that we get alerts on our phones and we can use the phone to answer the door, which can at some point may be connected to the door lock, and lock and unlock the door as well. 

DH has grand plans for this thing. 

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the differences (pros/cons) of a driveway alarm over a camera with alerts turned on. I can't figure out what they'd be, but I guess it may depend on individual layouts and exactly what one wants from the device. Looks like the plug for the alarm has a speaker, so I'm guessing there's an audible alarm that comes from it, whereas you'd need your phone or an Alexa or similar smart home system to get a camera alert.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the differences (pros/cons) of a driveway alarm over a camera with alerts turned on.

The alarm wouldn't make sense for us because of how our driveway is and our street is somewhat busy so it might be going off all the time.

• Like 1

My driveway is the length of 1.5 cars and can mostly be seen from the front door, so no.

If I lived “out” at all and had a long driveway or even lived here but couldn’t see the driveway from an easy to access spot, I would probably appreciate one.

We have cameras, and one covers the driveway. We have it set to alert us on our phones if when someone comes into the driveway but not if they are on the street. 

We know people who have a very long driveways with driveway alarms (audio only), but I really like our particular set up with visual info as well.

For a really long time our driveway alarm was our border collie.  I really miss that, partially because if I am in the back of the house, I will not hear the mailman or whoever knock on the door in the garage. I liked having a little warning that someone was coming. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out the differences (pros/cons) of a driveway alarm over a camera with alerts turned on. I can't figure out what they'd be, but I guess it may depend on individual layouts and exactly what one wants from the device. Looks like the plug for the alarm has a speaker, so I'm guessing there's an audible alarm that comes from it, whereas you'd need your phone or an Alexa or similar smart home system to get a camera alert.  

The driveway alarm we have is audible via the plug in alarm in the kitchen.  It is nice as then anyone and everyone in the house can hear it, it will go off at night when phones are silenced, and we don’t have to have our phones near by to know someone is in the driveway.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

The driveway alarm we have is audible via the plug in alarm in the kitchen.  It is nice as then anyone and everyone in the house can hear it, it will go off at night when phones are silenced, and we don’t have to have our phones near by to know someone is in the driveway.

Love it! When my boss got the gate I asked for an alert when the gate opened but since his daughter’s mom lives on the same property he did not want to be woken up if she came home late .  😕  So now I just have to trust anyone who has the code is ok.