Menu

Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush: The May Gardening Thread

I know it is harvest season and even possibly time to begin winter preparations for our Souther Hemisphere Hive so I am very interested to hear how well your plants performed, and what you are doing as production winds down

Here in Michigan, USA we are finally getting lovely weather. Our efforts to use an overhead sprinkler system to preserve our apple blossoms during a late, deep freeze worked. Most folks locally just hope for the best, and lost all of their apple, cherry, peach, and nectarine blossoms. Ours apple trees made it through being insulated by icicles before the temps dropped to 24 degrees overnight, twice. I know some of our Traverse Bay area orchards did have smudge fires and irrigation enough to save part of their orchards, but many producers cannot afford this for 40-100 acres of trees. Buds were at the pink tip stage and couldn't handle those temps. Since this area produces over 80% of all sour pie cherries for the entire country, it should be expected for canned cherry pie filling, cherry cordial, cherry ice cream, and other similar products to be hard to find this coming fall/winter and much higher priced. Apples will be more expensive this fall so since my adult kids- the whole lot of biological and honorary - are hoping for several quarts each of dried apple chips, I am so grateful Mark was able to help me create the overhead sprinkler system. It was easily mounted, and 1 sprinkler was able to cover 2 trees. I would post a photo but can't get it edited small enough to upload.

In other news, my pea seedling have been transplanted. Cucumbers go out today along with broccoli. That leaves peppers and cherry tomatoes inside yet for one more week. I am also headed to the nursery for Amish Paste tomatoes and more varieties of peppers plus marigolds, nasturtium, and herbs. Mark and I are trying to figure out where to put a mini greenhouse inside for next winter so I can start more plants. I have just 3 shelves in the East window with grow lights and had them covered with seedlings. However, we want to be able to start so much more next year.

I am also sowing carrots, radishes, and scallions this weekend. If I have time, I will till the new spot for sunflowers and sweet corn. But that might have to wait since I have a lot of work to do, and baby quilts to make for the NICU.

What is everyone up to, and how are things growing if you are NH or winding down if SH?

• Like 3

Here in the Pocono Mountains of PA, I’m trying to harden off my seedlings. I’m itching to put seeds in the beds, but we currently have 10 of our 15 posts up for our new fence. I owe dh big time because, even with the new jackhammer I talked him into, some post holes are proving more difficult than others. I have to come to terms with hiring out for our yard fence after this garden fence experience!

I’m also in the middle of spray painting my metal beds black. I think I may be doing actual damage to my eyes with all the reflection off the metal!!!

We got some fruit trees this spring that I’m planning to just up-pot for the year to make sure we like where they are. My make-shift protection for them seems to be holding up to the wildlife for right now. My random planting of sunflowers, not so much. (As expected.)

We managed to use our first crop of the year, chives, lol, in our taters the other day.

I tried planting and replanting some arborvitae for future privacy, but the wildlife is NOT having it! I feel defeated.

• Like 3

The garden is all dh, so I'm reporting kind of second hand. Still cool and rainy--we had lows in the 30's this week, so we're still holding off on getting things like tomatoes in the ground. I hear we have kale and broccoli and something else in the ground. Dh takes plants out to the patio for the day and brings them in at night. There are still some seedlings/small plants under the grow light in the laundry room. Hopefully we'll be able to get the tomatoes in the ground in a couple of weeks.

The lilacs are lovely right now. My favorite.

• Like 1

The nursery and garden center is such a DANGEROUS place!

Tally:

12 basil plants

4 nasturtium

1 french thyme

1 italian oregano

1 chocolate mint

16 Amish paste tomato plants

4 more pea plants to add to my 8 because so broke two while transplanting 😢

4 broccoli (I ended up with 8 that I started from seed but we need more)

4 red chili peppers

8 jalapeno

4 banana peppers

1 large cherry tomato to go with the 3 seedlings I started which are doing great, but daughter in law informed she is glad they live close enough for her to raid the cherry tomatoes so I decided one more might be wise

16 petunias

12 marigolds

So I need to finish adding compost and banana water fertilizer, and start transplanting tomorrow night and Saturday night. I feel like the plants seem to look perkier when they aren't transplanted during the direct sun part of the day. I have no idea if this is an actual thing, just mere feelings from someone who is trying to tune into the green babies since I used to be a botanical serial murderer. 

Phew! Good thing this nursery is a bulk place that sells at reasonable prices. Otherwise the check book would be groaning.

• Like 4

Chocolate mint--- yum!

We had made good progress in hardening our seedlings off, but we're now three days in to a cold snap where it's too cold and rainy to set them out. Frustrating. We had a freaky May snow last year, though, so I'm being cautious.

The two dwarf apples and gooseberry I planted last year are doing well; the cherry I planted in January is starting to leaf out, but the peach I bought at the same time has not. It looks entirely dormant still and I'm worried about it.  The neighbor's established peach is fully leafed out.  I did end up losing my huge french lavender this past winter, and my rosemary is not looking great.  It doesn't matter much; if we end up having to sell the house I'll redo the landscaping in that spot anyway for better listing photos, but I'm a bit sad for the bees right now.  Speaking of which, I've seen almost no bees so far, even on warm and sunny days.  Normally they love my rosemary flowers and the neighborhood tree blossoms and honeysuckle.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Chocolate mint--- yum!

We had made good progress in hardening our seedlings off, but we're now three days in to a cold snap where it's too cold and rainy to set them out. Frustrating. We had a freaky May snow last year, though, so I'm being cautious.

The two dwarf apples and gooseberry I planted last year are doing well; the cherry I planted in January is starting to leaf out, but the peach I bought at the same time has not. It looks entirely dormant still and I'm worried about it.  The neighbor's established peach is fully leafed out.  I did end up losing my huge french lavender this past winter, and my rosemary is not looking great.  It doesn't matter much; if we end up having to sell the house I'll redo the landscaping in that spot anyway for better listing photos, but I'm a bit sad for the bees right now.  Speaking of which, I've seen almost no bees so far, even on warm and sunny days.  Normally they love my rosemary flowers and the neighborhood tree blossoms and honeysuckle.

I am so sad you haven't seen bees, and the peach is not well.

I have seen to honey bees, and numerous bumblebees. I know I am very lucky, and am grateful for them. 

Fruit trees seem to just be stinkers for the first year after planting. We put two peaches and two nectarines in the front yard of the Alabama house back in fall, 2022. We were pretty certain they weren't going to make it as of fall 2023. They have baby peaches and nectarines on them now! I swear fruit trees are little narcissists that like to gaslight their owners.

• Like 2

I've planted brassicas and have some popping up.

I have the cutest ever little baby finger lime fruit!

My one single pumpkin didn't have any flavour 😞

Some of the weirdo broad beans that grew over the summer have actually survived and are looking more cheerful now the temperature has dropped. Thus far the flowers have refused, quite rightly of course, to develop into beans, but now there's another flush of flowers, perhaps they will? What shall I do? Try and breed heat resistant broad beans? My actual broad beans that I was actually going to plant for the winter don't have a home yet because the sun chokes are taking longer to die back than expected.

My curry leaf tree is a total, big, fat sook. One overcast day and it'll take the rest of the week off growing. Delightfully, I saw our local shop selling them, looking oh so big and oh so glossy. Ha. How long will that last?

I am trying to grow yam daisies, but I don't seem to be having any luck. I've never tried to grow from seed before though and what other people can achieve on the internet is not necessarily what I can achieve here in the rubbish soil and probably not enough light.

Still waiting for the weather to get cold enough to deter wasps before I get into any more serious pruning. I have a cotoneaster or two to destroy.

Planted my tomato starts last week, plus lettuce, zuchinni (climbing!), cucumber, carrots, and parsnips. Several basil and lettuce starts. Meanwhile the nasturtiums and pineapple sage (for hummingbirds) are doing well. My asparagus, crowns planted last year, are late, late, late coming up. It's 80F today and is supposed to be 54F by Saturday with maybe some showers, but no overnights below 40F. I only grow what the family will eat or what's easy...no peppers, parsley, or cilantro -- nobody likes those, but lots of other herbs. Trying some wooly thyme as groundcover on our back retaining wall area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I've planted brassicas and have some popping up.

I have the cutest ever little baby finger lime fruit!

My one single pumpkin didn't have any flavour 😞

Some of the weirdo broad beans that grew over the summer have actually survived and are looking more cheerful now the temperature has dropped. Thus far the flowers have refused, quite rightly of course, to develop into beans, but now there's another flush of flowers, perhaps they will? What shall I do? Try and breed heat resistant broad beans? My actual broad beans that I was actually going to plant for the winter don't have a home yet because the sun chokes are taking longer to die back than expected.

My curry leaf tree is a total, big, fat sook. One overcast day and it'll take the rest of the week off growing. Delightfully, I saw our local shop selling them, looking oh so big and oh so glossy. Ha. How long will that last?

I am trying to grow yam daisies, but I don't seem to be having any luck. I've never tried to grow from seed before though and what other people can achieve on the internet is not necessarily what I can achieve here in the rubbish soil and probably not enough light.

Still waiting for the weather to get cold enough to deter wasps before I get into any more serious pruning. I have a cotoneaster or two to destroy.

We would love to see a picture of your baby lime!

I have no idea what a yam daisy is. None. But I am intrigued.

As for broad beans, I think there is room for hope if they are trying to flower again.

Internet photos are deceptive. I don't think people actually grow such lush plants. It is AI or artwork or something. 😁

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Thanks, Rosie! I love the yam daisy, so cool.

So the lime is a native citrus. Do any other kinds of citrus grow in your region?

The finger lime is like caviar that punches you in the face with citrus flavour. It's not native to this part of the country so I don't know how it'll go over the winter. I haven't had it a full year yet. But yeah, they are natives. Bush tucker, as we call them. I know people grow them in the suburbs of the state capital, which is further south, but they have more concrete about and are probably plant magicians or something.

I'm a bit far south for growing citrus commercially, but there must have been a sale on oranges and lemon trees at the local shop about 50 years ago because everyone has an orange, lemon or both. I do have an ordinary lime tree that has survived a few winters so far, so hopefully it'll survive some more. 

The variety of murnong (yam daisy) I'm trying to grow is supposed to be the tasty one and taste a bit coconutty. Is it true? Will I get to find out? 

An adulting said I didn't need more flowers. I said he can repay me his college tuition. 

In other news my irises keep falling down. Does anyone have any suggestions? They did this last year as well. 

• Like 1

Well, we've had over 8" of rain in the last 24 hours. A bit of a gully-washer. The trees will LOVE the deep drink. The plants will have to fight off fungus and mold unless it gets warmer, sunnier, and a bit drier very fast. Still, the plants keep on blooming.

My favorites this year are the Vitex-Montrose Purple, also called Texas Lilac, and the Red Yucca. Vitex blooms mostly in our mid-late spring but will have a couple more rounds throughout the summer if conditions are right. The Red Yucca has been blooming since late Feb/early March. It'll bloom on through late fall. If the winter is mild it'll bloom longer. Both of these survived freezing temps into the single digits and teens. Both survived the extreme heat and drought conditions. I LOVE these plants! I gave the Vitex a hard trim before leaf-budding, but as you can see, she need another extreme trim after this round of blooming (it blooms on new growth). I am trying to keep it shaped into a multi-trunk ornamental tree rather than it's natural bush-crazy vibe. The only care yucca needs is cutting off bloom stalks once seed pods start to bend them over. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

@Faith-manor have you ever tried winter sowing? I didn’t get around to it this year and I have regrets. I used grow lights, but my attention span wasn’t up for caring for the plants and they look really sad.  Usually by this time I have beautiful, hearty plants and I’m giving them away. Basically you plant in a milk jug in the winter, toss it in the yard to get rained on, and it’s hands off till spring when the plants outgrow their personal greenhouse. I’ve done anywhere from 20 to 90, but I did zero this year.

Today I headed to the local farm/ecology learning center for their weekly plant sale. THEIR plants looked great. I spoke with their tomato guy and he chose a lot of the seeds I did so I was able buy the ones that I failed to grow. I got black Krim, Roma, black cherry, and sungold.  I also got a few herbs and flowers. ALL stuff I usually grow from seed but I’m feeling okay about it. 

My allottment is weeded, covered, and about half prepped for the new season. I built a new asparagus bed and got a nice new layer of compost on my beds. Herbs and garlic have returned and look great. The bush cherries I planted in the fall look really happy. 

I haven’t touched my front or back yards so those gardens need attention. I enjoy puttering around in the back but I think I need to do a really low maintenance landscaping plan out front because I don’t like working up there. Basically I start more gardens than I can reasonably maintain and hop from one to the next trying to keep up. 

I’ve decided to put trailing begonias in my hanging baskets that are mostly shaded. I may pick those up tomorrow. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 1:35 PM, aggie96 said:

Well, we've had over 8" of rain in the last 24 hours. A bit of a gully-washer. The trees will LOVE the deep drink. The plants will have to fight off fungus and mold unless it gets warmer, sunnier, and a bit drier very fast. Still, the plants keep on blooming.

My favorites this year are the Vitex-Montrose Purple, also called Texas Lilac, and the Red Yucca. Vitex blooms mostly in our mid-late spring but will have a couple more rounds throughout the summer if conditions are right. The Red Yucca has been blooming since late Feb/early March. It'll bloom on through late fall. If the winter is mild it'll bloom longer. Both of these survived freezing temps into the single digits and teens. Both survived the extreme heat and drought conditions. I LOVE these plants! I gave the Vitex a hard trim before leaf-budding, but as you can see, she need another extreme trim after this round of blooming (it blooms on new growth). I am trying to keep it shaped into a multi-trunk ornamental tree rather than it's natural bush-crazy vibe. The only care yucca needs is cutting off bloom stalks once seed pods start to bend them over. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Amazing!

Posted (edited)

It always blows my mind to read some of y'all are planting carrots at the same time as tomatoes. lol That is a no go here in the SE US.

I randomly, on a whim, planted some Kennebec seed potatoes in grow bags months ago--not knowing what I was doing at all. And they sprouted and promptly died from a freeze. I left the bags on my deck. I chucked some dead plants in peat pots in there rather than take them down the flight of stairs to the compost bin. Last week I noticed one potato plant had sprouted again. Then today I saw two more. I am not sure what is happening. 😉 I was sure they would have rotted. 

I am excited that I'm going to have fresh garlic this year. I've never grown it before. 

I am not as excited about summer planting this year. I started some tomatoes back in Jan, and they are overdue for being planted. I am seriously lacking in motivation this year for some reason. The tomatoes might be it for me this summer--except for some herbs. And the surprise potatoes. 😉

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, popmom said:

I randomly, on a whim, planted some Kennebec seed potatoes in grow bags months ago--not knowing what I was doing at all. And they sprouted and promptly died from a freeze. I left the bags on my deck. I chucked some dead plants in peat pots in there rather than take them down the flight of stairs to the compost bin. Last week I noticed one potato plant had sprouted again. Then today I saw two more. I am not sure what is happening. 😉 I was sure they would have rotted. 

Potatoes are optimistic that way.

Posted (edited)

Everything is in. Here is a photo of the new tomato bed, and one of peppers, half the peppers. I went a little crazy. I have 4 banana peppers, 4 red chili peppers, 8 jalapeno, and 12 bell peppers. I have not yet tied the spines of the tomatoes to the cattle panel, and need to do that before we leave for Virginia Wednesday.

img_2_1715429973647.jpg

img_1_1715429956196.jpg

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 4

Should I let my chives bloom?

I gained more square footage this year, so it wouldn’t be awful to have more chives spread around, but will it be so much that I regret it?

We use a fair amount of chives, but not as much as are already growing. They do make me happy to look at, though.

Opinions? I should really decide today!

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Should I let my chives bloom?

I gained more square footage this year, so it wouldn’t be awful to have more chives spread around, but will it be so much that I regret it?

We use a fair amount of chives, but not as much as are already growing. They do make me happy to look at, though.

Opinions? I should really decide today!

If you want the space for something else, then by all means, dig those guys up. However, if you have adult kids and relatives who might enjoy them, you could consider dehydrating/drying a bumper crop off them and gifting them. Commercial chives bought in the spice section are often ones that became over ripe, and have lost flavor. Fresh dried chives are so loaded with flavor that I can hardly stand to use commercial. The taste buds learn, and then become spoiled rotten! 😂

• Like 1

We finally had a bit of heat (jumped from upper 50s to 90 for a few days) and while this seems to have jump started my dormant baby peach tree, it stressed the heck out of everything else. We are back down to more seasonal temperatures (still + 11 degrees above normal, but high 70s is better than 90) so I am hoping we will see some recovery. My gooseberry still has good berry set, but I lost half my set blueberries. I am afraid to hope for my traditional Independence Day gooseberry pie and vanilla icecream.

• Like 1

On Saturday, MIL, SIL and I went to some plant sales and greenhouses. Today I stopped at a garden center and another plant sale. I spent most my free time today planting. I still need to water some of the natives I planted under my pine trees, but now all my planters are planted, I planted some Boston ferns (I discovered that I can overwinter them in my classroom). I also need to bring home some of the plants I overwintered this past year. (geraniums, hibiscus and transcendia. I should also bring home my spider plant and repot it in a larger pot. 

I'd love to get a raised bed veggie garden set up going, but I have to figure out irrigation for that. I'd also love to plant more trees, but the last 2 have been attacked by deer/rabbits. 

I’m not doing any veggies this year, just my usual beds & containers. After three years of treating a fungus & being unsuccessful at eradicating it, I decided to pull up my rose bushes. I have put some gardenias in their place, they’ll take a few years to grow in nicely. My flower boxes & pots are all planted. They have geraniums, lantana, caladium, calabrochia, sweet potato vine & petunias. I repotted some heuchera, moving it into a large pot with other perennials. I have a new container that I got for screening purposes & have to decide what to put into it. After that I’ll be finished planting. The herbs in our little trolley are coming in nicely, though I need to move the basil outside. The gerbera daisies came back for their third year and the columbine is here for its fourth year. I think I will need to split it, I just have to figure out when & how. The first of the hydrangeas are in full bloom & are loaded down with blossoms. I picked a dozen today & the bushes are still full. Rain is forecast this weekend, so hopefully everything will get a good soak.

- asparagus is going gang-busters, and we're eating it every single day (which we will do until it bolts, and then wait a whole year before eating it again)

- rhubarb coming in fast; I'm making up jam & will can it on the chilly days

- bought some tomato seeds from Jackie Clay up at self-reliance.com / more excited than I should be about how those are going this year

- new raised beds prepped for strawberries; we'll plant them fresh this year but take the flowers so the plants will harden for next year

- raspberries & blueberries in good shape (took a pruning class this winter & feel a lot more confident about those micro-decisions, LOL)

- veggie garden mapped out, and composted, and prepped, just need to plant. Tons of seedlings in the greenhouse (technically a high hoop tunnel made from salvaged trampoline).

- lilacs in FULL HEAVENLY bloom (and cut and vased all over the house) - peonies about to open next

Going for a WWII "Victory Garden" theme this year . . . have some tomato seeds AND some dahlias that were genetically introduced in the early 1940's . . . having a lot of fun with that. Going to hang up some vintage garden propaganda posters in the kitchen and channel my inner "home front girl" over the summer. Learned a few new "backwoods home" skills this winter, and am excited about propagation plans, too. (My root-hacked baby blueberries are now old enough that they've born fruit a couple of years, and I feel confident to take babies from THEM, too. My seed-saving circles are coming true for borage, echinacea, calendula, . . . a few more. Dahlia tubers dug, divided, woken up, and re-planted. The crepe myrtle I dragged 1000 miles north has leaves! It survived our (mild this year) winter! Hurray! I'll be shocked if she blooms, but she gets a few years before I give up. And I have SIX baby pawpaw saplings, all with leaves . . . those are kind of a pet dream of mine. And we have 12 baby chicks hatched from our own backyard flock eggs. Here we go!)

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 2

I put 9 tomato plants in early this week before a few days of rain. I just checked them today and they’re looking super happy.  I’ve established a brand new asparagus bed and 9 of the ten bare-root plants have pushed through. The herbs look amazing and I’ve been using them for a while. The dill I planted this year looks super unhappy so I’m not sure it’s gonna make it. My perennial onions are super tall. 

• Like 2

I finally got my peppers and tomatoes planted. I transplanted several rosemary plants, too. I wish I had started basil. I may just buy some plants at the nursery. Basil really does keep the hornworms at bay.

I will direct sow okra and pole beans soon. 

• Like 1