Menu

What is your best stain fighter?

DawnM

I got a travel stroller for our upcoming trip.   It was in great used condition, however, it has a few stains on the fabric from her kids.  I washed it in the washer and it is clean, but the stains didn't come out.   

I have used borax and hydrogen peroxide in the past for stains on my son's mattress.....would that work?    Any other suggestions?   I don't need them 100% gone, but removing some of it would be nice.

I don't want to put the seat cover back on the base until I can figure this out.

Thanks!,

Dawn

Did you dry it in a dryer? My experience is that stains washed but then dried won't come out. A colleague uses fels naphtha in desperate situations but it's toxic and I wouldn't use it for a stroller.  My favorite non-toxic is boiling water and dish detergent, scrubbed really hard.

• Like 2

Dawn power spray for grease, oxyclean for blood or other body fluids, tide stain spray for everything else. For mystery stains I’d start with Tide. It’s what worked best on nasty ground-in foods from the car seats in DH’s vehicle. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Eos said:

Did you dry it in a dryer? My experience is that stains washed but then dried won't come out. A colleague uses fels naphtha in desperate situations but it's toxic and I wouldn't use it for a stroller.  My favorite non-toxic is boiling water and dish detergent, scrubbed really hard.

No, I did not put it in the dryer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I used oxy laundry stain spray on my cream colored rug, where the dog vomited neon yellow and my Crosswave made zero difference. Stain gone in SECONDS.

Now to figure out how to hide the extra clean spot on the rug…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Katy said:

Dawn power spray for grease, oxyclean for blood or other body fluids, tide stain spray for everything else. For mystery stains I’d start with Tide. It’s what worked best on nasty ground-in foods from the car seats in DH’s vehicle. 

Tide also makes little pencils of stain remover.

• Like 1

Zout spray. Spray then soak overnight. Put in a plastic bag to keep it damp or cover with wet cloth to keep it moist.

Or soak overnight in a bucket of oxyclean and water.

• Like 1

Depends on the stain.

e.g. blood - hydrogen peroxide; ink - hairspray

for unknown - I would soak it in oxyclean for a few hours, then spray-soak with a spraynwash/etc. before washing.

• Like 1

A pasty mixture of Oxyclean and liquid dish soap (like Dawn).
Rub it into the fabric with your finger.  Let it sit for an hour or so.
Then rinse.
I would line dry it, instead of using a dryer & risking setting the stains AND shrinkage.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

I tried Oxiclean soak and wash first.   It helped a bit, but there are still a lot of stains.

I don't know what they are, but my guess is just kid stuff, food, dirt, etc....

The seat is clean, as in, I have washed it twice.   I will keep trying.

Krud Kutter is a fantastic stain remover. You can find it at home improvement stores.

Krud Kutter is my first resort for fat/oil related stains, like salad dressing & cooking/grilling splatters. 

If the stain has protein, like vomit or blood, I put Oxyclean on to address that and then put the Krud Kutter on top to address color and other particles that may be involved. If you put Krud Kutter on first, it will block the Oxyclean from soaking in. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Krud Kutter is a fantastic stain remover. You can find it at home improvement stores.

Krud Kutter is my first resort for fat/oil related stains, like salad dressing & cooking/grilling splatters. 

If the stain has protein, like vomit or blood, I put Oxyclean on to address that and then put the Krud Kutter on top to address color and other particles that may be involved. If you put Krud Kutter on first, it will block the Oxyclean from soaking in. 

What if I did the Oxyclean and then washed it out?   Will it work to try this now?

49 minutes ago, TechWife said:

@Eos is right about the dryer. Heat sets stains, so if the previous owner put it in the dryer you’re probably stuck with them. 

I do know this and I also didn't want anything to make the seat disfigured, so I air dried it.   I know the previous owner (original owner) didn't wash it or dry it, she told me she hadn't ever taken the seat off.

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

What if I did the Oxyclean and then washed it out?   Will it work to try this now?

I do know this and I also didn't want anything to make the seat disfigured, so I air dried it.   I know the previous owner (original owner) didn't wash it or dry it, she told me she hadn't ever taken the seat off.

Yes, I think it will work.

Also, gross! 🤮