Menu

Returning to homeschooling after ~4 years.

LucyStoner

So, I homeschooled my older son 2nd-8th with some time at home in high school and my younger son K-5.  

Older son graduated from high school in 2022, took a gap year to work and used that money to travel in the summer and then started college at a state university this quarter.  

Younger son started high school this year (9th grade, 14 yo) and the first quarter has been really challenging.  He’s exhausted by the long day, the social situation is challenging with some bullying and he’s been pretty miserable.  He’s on the spectrum but even with a very robust IEP, the school just isn’t working well for him.  

Talking to him and thinking about what has worked best for him, we’ve decided to do a hybrid approach with him homeschooling for most academic classes moving forwards.  He is going to continue to go to the high school for Spanish, Choir and access their after school sports in the Fall and Spring seasons.  The only things he has liked about school so far are Choir, Model UN and Cross Country.  

So here I am, back at it, after thinking I was retired from homeschooling.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 45

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Welcome back! 
I wish my state had a part time ps option. 

We are really fortunate that state law here protects part time enrollment for homeschooling and private school students.  The student’s local public school has to allow them to participate in single classes and/or extracurriculars.  If the student is a high school athlete, grades or progress reports need to be supplied to the athletic association (preventing academically ineligible student athletes from circumventing eligibility requirements) but other than that, there’s no special requirements.  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Welcome back! I remember you were working outside the home - is he able to work around your timetable? 

I’m in a pretty laid back position right now that is 100% WFH with the ability to mostly get my work on my own schedule.  I got really lucky on that front.   This afternoon, I have a meeting at 1pm and he’s able to work independently while I have set work things.  My basic idea is to get most of my work done early AM, the times that he’s out of the house for classes and extracurriculars and then wrap any loose ends up evenings and weekends.  Not ideal but I have a salaried position that I can cover all the important stuff in 6ish hours a day.  If I need to cut back, I can. My husband works 6AM- 3PM he can usually be the one handling afternoon activities and sports transportation until the kid can start driving himself in a year.  XC is over for the season and crew start in January.  That’s usually 3 hours every weekday afternoon. 

• Like 4