Menu

World problems/news ( Used to be Anybody concerned about Friday, then I changed it to concerned about world problems)

TravelingChris

35 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

*BREAKING UPDATE:* An Israeli security source has reported that the situation in Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan, continues to develop after a plane arriving from Israel was confronted by a violent pro-Hamas mob.

The source has revealed that a small group of Israelis and Jews are currently in a secured area at the airport. The authorities are actively working on facilitating their departure via a connecting flight to Moscow, once the situation permits. In addition, Israeli security officials, along with the Israeli ambassador, are collaborating closely with local security authorities to address the evolving circumstances.

*Join a _YWN Live Alerts_ Group for Live Breaking News Updates!* 

https://chat.whatsapp.com/INWDXVH0XGtL3oDHAMQRXp

• Sad 7

11 minutes ago, Idalou said:

I saw some footage of the group in the picture on that article.  As they were being arrested en mass, peacefully, they were still doing their chants as they were being frog marched out. The discipline required was impressive.  

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

*BREAKING UPDATE:* An Israeli security source has reported that the situation in Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan, continues to develop after a plane arriving from Israel was confronted by a violent pro-Hamas mob.

The source has revealed that a small group of Israelis and Jews are currently in a secured area at the airport. The authorities are actively working on facilitating their departure via a connecting flight to Moscow, once the situation permits. In addition, Israeli security officials, along with the Israeli ambassador, are collaborating closely with local security authorities to address the evolving circumstances.

*Join a _YWN Live Alerts_ Group for Live Breaking News Updates!* 

https://chat.whatsapp.com/INWDXVH0XGtL3oDHAMQRXp

We have gone backwards 150 years ☹️

18 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

We have gone backwards 150 years ☹️

The Holocaust/Shoah was in the late 1930s.  So only ninety years ago.  Jews being chased out with threats of death?  That happened after Israel was created in 1948 and all the Arab countries with Jews residing in them (for many, many generations) were forcibly expelled, not able to take any belongings with them.  And so on, and so forth.

This is being a Jew.  Full stop.

Edited by desertflower
Inflammatory words
  • Sad 13

7 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

The Holocaust/Shoah was in the late 1930s.  So only ninety years ago.  Jews being chased out with threats of death?  That happened after Israel was created in 1948 and all the Arab countries with Jews residing in them (for many, many generations) were forcibly expelled, not able to take any belongings with them.  And so on, and so forth.

This is being a Jew.  Full stop.

People love a dead Jew!

Yeah you’re right I guess it just reminded me of the late 1800s pogroms 😞 I did not think we would be here in this century 

• Sad 1

Dollars to donuts the threat to Jewish people in America is done by right wing, extremist asses who follow all the usual losers connected to the former admin and far right "news".

Are we now allowed to post news about violence being perpetrated by Israeli forces and illegal settlers towards Palestinians on the West Bank, or is that a topic that must be shunted to the politics board?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I can’t find updated info on the Jews being hunted by the mob at the Dagestan airport.  Is there word if they got out safe?

According to Jerusalem Post, they were evacuated to safety via a helicopter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Dollars to donuts the threat to Jewish people in America is done by right wing, extremist asses who follow all the usual losers connected to the former admin and far right "news".

I’m sure there are threats and antisemitism coming from that end, too, but that is certainly not the source of the loudest voices right now.  Let’s not get this thread shut down, too, by assigning blame to specific political groups without sources.  Let’s try to stick to what we actually know, with the most trustworthy sources we can find.

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Condessa said:

I’m sure there are threats and antisemitism coming from that end, too, but that is certainly not the source of the loudest voices right now.  Let’s not get this thread shut down, too, by assigning blame to specific political groups without sources.  Let’s try to stick to what we actually know, with the most trustworthy sources we can find.

We actually do know who perpetrates the majority of  threats and the violence to people of the Jewish and Muslim faith in America. 

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

Maybe we need a specific antisemitism thread. Would like to know if there’s anything specific that is helpful when dealing with it. 

That would be great! Can we also have one that speaks of anti Muslim violence? Perhaps one on apartheid and occupation and the repercussions of it and how it was solved in South Africa and Ireland?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Idalou said:

We actually do know who perpetrates the majority of  threats and the violence to people of the Jewish and Muslim faith in America. 

In normal times, yes.  The FBI’s regular reports confirm this.  But the current massive upswing in violence and threats?  I haven’t seen evidence of that.  And most of the perpetrators in specific news stories I have read do not fit your description.  I haven’t seen any statistics on it, though, and would be interested to.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Condessa said:

In normal times, yes.  The FBI’s regular reports confirm this.  But the current massive upswing in violence and threats?  I haven’t seen evidence of that.  And most of the perpetrators in specific news stories I have read do not fit your description.  I haven’t seen any statistics on it, though, and would be interested to.

This is a big part of why I am so concerned by the current climate in our country.  Hate crimes are always terrible, but the actions of a small fringe group that are despised by the majority of the country are not as indicative of a massive problem in our country as are widespread occurrences at admired universities and the words of respected members of mainstream groups.  

• Like 5

Right now, I am walking into the police station to file a police report. Someone in our community saw on Snapchat that they are taking pictures of synagogue that is right in front of the building I work on. They said there are lots of Jews there. And remember when the rabbi got stabbed. The rabbi got stabbed about 2 years ago at a different synagogue that's about a 10 minute walk away. This is another level of threat that is above the regular stuff we have been dealing with.

So yeah, my threat level just went up a lot. Here's hoping that the police will take it seriously (ETA so far they blew the rabbi and me off). I have Jewish women coming to my building every evening of the year by themselves. We are an easy and open target.

Edited by YaelAldrich
Updates
  • Sad 23

How can anyone look at what is happening today and blame the right wing side of politics? The very vocal and in your face anti-Semitism is very clearly being perpetrated by majority one side, and that isn't it. Then to follow with but, but, but. That's is a way of saying that Israelis and Jewish people are responsible for their slaughter, and they're not. I know Jewish people here, and the people they're worried about right now are very much not the people you are trying to blame. They are actually very surprised that so many on the side you blame are so pro-Israel and pro-Jewish because of the lies that have been out out for so long regarding how people think. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Idalou said:

While that has until recently been far and away the case, I’ve definitely seen a dramatic shift in the last couple weeks. Of those Cornell messages posted above, for example, the last of the four reads far left not far right. Unfortunately, the spectrum seems to be somewhat of a horseshoe or a donut and they meet in the back on some of the most disturbing issues. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

While that has until recently been far and away the case, I’ve definitely seen a dramatic shift in the last couple weeks. Of those Cornell messages posted above, for example, the last of the four reads far left not far right. Unfortunately, the spectrum seems to be somewhat of a horseshoe or a donut and they meet in the back on some of the most disturbing issues. 

It's classic anti semitism. Jews are both this and the polar opposite at the same time. Those who target us are the same. It all circles around.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Idalou said:

Are we now allowed to post news about violence being perpetrated by Israeli forces and illegal settlers towards Palestinians on the West Bank, or is that a topic that must be shunted to the politics board?

I'll stop posting @Idalou. I wouldn't want you or anyone to feel bad for me/us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Idalou said:

Are we now allowed to post news about violence being perpetrated by Israeli forces and illegal settlers towards Palestinians on the West Bank

I don't see anything to suggest that. You've been posting about it here.

There's such an issue with people seeing this situation all as one side or the other. There can be (and are) problems on both sides. To focus purely on the atrocities committed by Israeli forces while ignoring or minimizing those committed by Hamas understandably makes Jews feel like they don't matter. Same with accusing Israel of genocide while not acknowledging that's what Hamas openly seeks. I don't believe either side is justified in violence directed at innocent civilians just because of how bad the things that are happening and have happened to them are.

• Like 10

On 10/29/2023 at 1:53 PM, katilac said:

Joseph Fasano is an American poet and novelist who posted the above poem on X/Twitter on October 17. Link to the original tweet below. 

You can also find out more about him on his page: http://josephfasano.net/

I shared that poem on my facebook a few days ago with a story about my mom.  She was a German child during WW2 and remembers hiding in the bomb shelters, terrified that she would burn to death.  That's just one of her memories.  As an adult she was grateful for the Allies, she said she knew she would have just been "breeding stock" otherwise.  She even gave a speech at an American veteran memorial.  But the childhood trauma never goes away and infected her whole life.  All children deserve to be grieved for.

Edited by goldberry
  • Like 6

I'm not on this board much anymore, but tend to wander here when things seem particularly bad.  Thanks for all you guys being here.  I feel like the world is stuck in a never-ending cycle of revenge and hate.  I *do* understand it.  But it will never stop.  It sure won't stop after Hamas is eliminated (and they do need to be eliminated). But whatever is necessary to eliminate them will only be fuel for more revenge and hate.  And as usual, the children on both sides end up paying the highest price.  It never ends.  What a sad world we live in.  Prayers for everyone suffering right now. 

• Like 15

8 hours ago, Idalou said:

That would be great! Can we also have one that speaks of anti Muslim violence? Perhaps one on apartheid and occupation and the repercussions of it and how it was solved in South Africa and Ireland?

You are welcome to start one.

I feel like the chance of productive discussion without getting shut down will be higher if we keep controversial opinions away from main threads? But I may be wrong.

• Like 1

The situation in Acapulco, Mexico is really bad. The pictures are unbelievable. I am trying to find out the status of electricity and water. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-sends-aid-acapulco-hurricane-otis-death-toll-rises-rcna122739

This is heartbreaking. 

https://apnews.com/article/hurricane-otis-acapulco-climate-change-mexico-amlo-42841e8c9ef6a1e448f27a72dfc39c60

A good explanation on the rapid intensification and why more didn't evacuate (one for my fellow weather geeks)

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023/10/nightmare-scenario-category-5-hurricane-otis-devastates-acapulco/

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 7

45 minutes ago, popmom said:

Thanks for sharing these articles. Do you know of any aid organizations that are getting through? I was looking for who is helping and it appears the government may be blocking some of the aid being sent from outside organizations? It’s such a desperate situation 😞

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KSera said:

Thanks for sharing these articles. Do you know of any aid organizations that are getting through? I was looking for who is helping and it appears the government may be blocking some of the aid being sent from outside organizations? It’s such a desperate situation 😞

I don’t know of any either. I would like to contribute in some way, but I didn’t have time to look into that before leaving the house earlier. It seems like the government there wants to be ((the)) one source of aid and clearly it’s not enough. 

If anyone hears of anything, please share. 

Edited by popmom

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I don’t know if any either. I would like to contribute in some way, but I didn’t have time to look into that before leaving the house earlier. It seems like the government there wants to be ((the)) one source of aid and clearly it’s not enough. 

I found this linked to an article saying these were vetted sources. I haven't finished going down the list, but the ones I have say they are on the ground there: https://www.pledge.to/help-hurricane-otis-victims

There's one that's a Mexican based Red Cross that might be more likely to ensure the aid goes there rather than another disaster they are currently helping with, for people wanting to be sure it gets to Mexico. World Kitchen is there now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, popmom said:

33 minutes ago, KSera said:

I found this linked to an article saying these were vetted sources. I haven't finished going down the list, but the ones I have say they are on the ground there: https://www.pledge.to/help-hurricane-otis-victims

There's one that's a Mexican based Red Cross that might be more likely to ensure the aid goes there rather than another disaster they are currently helping with, for people wanting to be sure it gets to Mexico. World Kitchen is there now.

Here is the link to what World Central Kitchen is doing in Mexico.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, popmom said:

The situation in Acapulco, Mexico is really bad. The pictures are unbelievable. I am trying to find out the status of electricity and water. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/mexico-sends-aid-acapulco-hurricane-otis-death-toll-rises-rcna122739

This is heartbreaking. 

https://apnews.com/article/hurricane-otis-acapulco-climate-change-mexico-amlo-42841e8c9ef6a1e448f27a72dfc39c60

A good explanation on the rapid intensification and why more didn't evacuate (one for my fellow weather geeks)

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2023/10/nightmare-scenario-category-5-hurricane-otis-devastates-acapulco/

I cannot believe how little reporting there is in the media. Whole buildings stripped of their cladding. Does this mean that in the future there’s so many disasters we don’t hear or care about them?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I cannot believe how little reporting there is in the media. Whole buildings stripped of their cladding. Does this mean that in the future there’s so many disasters we don’t hear or care about them?

Most people still care deeply. I personally think there is a problem in the way most people get their news and the shift from print and network television to internet. The news is out there being covered, but if it doesn't get enough clicks, then it isn't going to be seen by the majority. 

Think about how newspapers are/were organized--in actual print on paper. You were exposed to stuff that you might not otherwise see because you had to flip pages to finish the front page articles. No  algorithms had control over what popped up on those back pages kwim? 

I get what you are saying. It is disturbing. I wish I still subscribed to the Economist. I need to figure out a way to budget for that again. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I see it all over tik tok, several times a day.  

It is disturbing to me that we haven't heard more about Mexico. Mark and I want to help. We will check out World Kitchen. Thanks to all who have been discussing this here. I feel like the Hive is a better source for what is happening in the world than many, many other sources.

• Like 3

Just now, Faith-manor said:

It is disturbing to me that we haven't heard more about Mexico. Mark and I want to help. We will check out World Kitchen. Thanks to all who have been discussing this here. I feel like the Hive is a better source for what is happening in the world than many, many other sources.

Agree! I was never active on the boards before the pandemic. But this was the best source of info I could find.

• Like 5