Menu

I don't know how to do a poll, but have a laundry question for you.

Do you go through your husband's pockets when you do the wash?

I don't do the teens' laundry, only the Dude's and my own. I am not a pocket-turner, never have been. I have always expected him to go through his pockets when he takes the pants off- that's what I do. Am I a lazy, bad laundress? Should I ALWAYS go through his pockets no matter what?

I ask because I accidentally washed his electronic car key thingy this morning. He is very mad- stomping around the house, and fussing. I think he is mostly mad at himself, but it makes me wonder- am I a bad wifey in this area? Is it wrong to expect a grown man to be responsible enough to empty his own pockets? I seriously doubt that he checks mine when he ocassionally does the laundry.

I have washed coins, and an occasional watch, but this may be expensive if he has to replace it. So- do you empty your Man's pockets when you wash his clothes?

I do, but only because I've accidentally washed some things that affected the laundry itself--a receipt with bleeding purple ink in a load of whites comes to mind!

You're right that he's probably mostly mad at himself. Leave him alone to cool off. If he starts picking on you though, give him heck! :lol:

If your husband threw the pants in the laundry to be washed, then it is absolutely his fault. If you just went and took them from the back of the chair or wherever, and didn't check, well I kind of see that as your fault. KWIM?

Ooooh, yeah, that's a really good point.

I always check dh's pockets because he very often leaves pens, tissues, pills, screws, etc. there. I agree that he Should empty his pockets, but I know he doesn't remember to, and ruining clothes with pens and washing perscription drugs is too expensive.

I Don't think you were in the wrong, though. Your dh should know better than to dump things he doesn't want washed in the hamper!

Edited by Melora in NC

To date, I've washed three of my DH's flash drives. Apparently, those things can really take a beating.....er...washing....and keep working! I have a rule in my house. If you bring me your laundry and there's something in the pockets, it's mine. Including cash. That usually inspires my DS to empty his pockets.

J

I do. But my MIL actually loudly declares she does not. I mention this because when we visited her in Germany a couple of months ago she washed my pants and ruined my watch. I am not upset she doesn't check pockets, but she went into our room and took the pants. It wasn't like I gave them to her to wash. So I had no chance to check my pockets.

So that said, my husband is very trained to not leave things in his pockets. I always leave things in my pockets. I am the only one who does laundry around here though so I just check to be sure. In over 8 years I have never found a single thing in his pockets. I still check out of habit though.

If your husband threw the pants in the laundry to be washed, then it is absolutely his fault. If you just went and took them from the back of the chair or wherever, and didn't check, well I kind of see that as your fault. KWIM?

Thanks for this perspective. The jeans were in the laundry basket, so I don't feel as bad, but I may start checking them anyhow.

I do, but only because I've accidentally washed some things that affected the laundry itself--a receipt with bleeding purple ink in a load of whites comes to mind!

You're right that he's probably mostly mad at himself. Leave him alone to cool off. If he starts picking on you though, give him heck! :lol:

Thanks! I am staying completely out of his way, and so far, his fussing hasn't been directly to me. But thanks for the support!

Actually, I'm the one who usually leaves things in my pockets -- mostly money. :lol: When we were on the truck, Sweetie usually did the laundry because I slept during the day. He said he didn't mind a bit because he always collected so much cash!

I don't check The Kid's pockets. I'm not sticking MY hand in there! And he mostly does his own laundry -- I throw a pair of his jeans in my load if it happens to be in the hamper. If I hear jingling, I'll look for it. Otherwise -- they just go in.

Sweetie, on the other hand, is very good about emptying his pockets when he changes his clothes and putting them in the hamper. He also picks up his socks!

If blame *must* be assigned, then I agree -- if he put his pants in the hamper to be washed, it's his fault. If you picked 'em off off the chair or the hook, it's your fault. :D

Actually, I'm the one who usually leaves things in my pockets -- mostly money. :lol: When we were on the truck, Sweetie usually did the laundry because I slept during the day. He said he didn't mind a bit because he always collected so much cash!

I don't check The Kid's pockets. I'm not sticking MY hand in there! And he mostly does his own laundry -- I throw a pair of his jeans in my load if it happens to be in the hamper. If I hear jingling, I'll look for it. Otherwise -- they just go in.

Sweetie, on the other hand, is very good about emptying his pockets when he changes his clothes and putting them in the hamper. He also picks up his socks!

If blame *must* be assigned, then I agree -- if he put his pants in the hamper to be washed, it's his fault. If you picked 'em off off the chair or the hook, it's your fault. :D

I am feeling so much better now. Thanks! I just ran into dh in the hallway, and he asked where I had been. I told him I was hiding from him, and that I was sorry I had washed his key. He laughed and said it was his fault, and he was sorry for fussing. But I think I WILL start checking his pockets, just to be on the safe side. He works so hard, and I know he comes home just exhausted and forgets to check. I think it can be something else I do for him to show him that I love him.

but I probably should. I don't know why but it seems like my family of a mere three people produces enough laundry for an army. After about the fourth or fifth load on any given day, I'm too worn out to check pockets. That's the reason that the following have run amok in my washing machine (and dryer): tissues, chocolate eggs, lollipops, bills in all amounts, change in all amounts, screws, bubblegum, papers and candy canes.

Reading this back tells me that I need to start checking pockets, because we just got a front loader washing machine and I can only imagine what some of those items will do to it.:eek:

Dh and I have had numerous conversations about this. I do not check the pockets if it is in the hamper. His pockets, his responsibility. If I pick it up to wash I will check.

That said, I have washed, on more than one occasion dh's wallet, money, receipts, pens, keys, and other assorted pocket items. Dh also knows that money found in the wash becomes my mad money.

I am feeling so much better now. Thanks! I just ran into dh in the hallway, and he asked where I had been. I told him I was hiding from him, and that I was sorry I had washed his key. He laughed and said it was his fault, and he was sorry for fussing.

I'm so glad! He sounds like a great guy!

But I think I WILL start checking his pockets, just to be on the safe side. He works so hard, and I know he comes home just exhausted and forgets to check. I think it can be something else I do for him to show him that I love him.

That's sweet! I don't know if anyone's mentioned this to you yet, but . . .

I just don't like sticking my hand into dark, unknown places, KWIM? :lol: You can "check" the pockets by just squishing them in your hand from the outside. Something like the key you're talking about you can find pretty easily and quickly without having to actually stick your hand in there. :D

I'm glad it's all better now!

I don't. If the pants are in the hamper, then their gong in the washer. I don't check pockets. OTOH, if I picked up dh's pants up from the place he leaves them when he plans to wear them again, I do check. Dh is very methodical, though. He has a routine for everything, including getting undressed, and he always empties his pockets.

I am lazy in the sock department, though. I don't turn his socks. I figure that if he wants to wear his socks right-side out, he'll figure out how to take them off that way, or he'll turn them himself. I don't have the inclination to stick my hand in there when their dirty. And, I don't have time to turn them when they're clean. He doesn't care. He wears boots everyday, and he just wears them inside out. (I do stack the inside-out ones together, and the right-side out ones together, so at least they match!) :)

That's sweet! I don't know if anyone's mentioned this to you yet, but . . .

I just don't like sticking my hand into dark, unknown places, KWIM? :lol: You can "check" the pockets by just squishing them in your hand from the outside. Something like the key you're talking about you can find pretty easily and quickly without having to actually stick your hand in there. :D

I'm glad it's all better now!

Yes! That is exactly why I don't do it. Thanks for the checking from the outside tip- that will make it much easier for me. Yay!

I don't bother much with dh's pockets but I do try to do so for my youngest ds. He's forever stuffing things into his pockets that I don't want tossed in with the laundry. If I miss something I make sure to remind my ds it's *his* responsibility to empty things from his pockets if he wants them safe :D

I used to but haven't for awhile. Unfortunately, a month ago I wish I had. A gel pen of his went through and emptied itself over an entire load of his and my clothes, including a couple nearly new shirts of mine. :( A previous poster is right about those flash drives, though. One of those has gone through once or twice and been fine.

Erica in OR

We agreed that it was really 100x easier for the wearer to check pockets before removing pants rather than the person already undertaking to do all of the laundry to go through every pair of pants on top of sorting and treating and everything else. Its not fool proof but its worked pretty well.

If they are in the laundry, they are ready to wash. I don't flip pockets, never have. They should be emptied when they are taken off.

It is like putting something you want to keep in the garbage can....it doesn't make sense to think that the person taking out the garbage would go through it ....just to make sure. Same thing here.

Sorry, dude. It is your fault.