Menu

When My Last Kid Launches I'm Going To... [A Wishful Thinking Game for Homeschooling Parents]

Gil

I would love to go back to university - actually move into an on-or-adjacent campus residential situation and study all the useless things I’m actually interested in learning about. 

Just haven’t figured out what to do with dh. 😂 (jk, he’d be supportive but would not want to move into a dorm 😂)

I am almost at that stage and have actually returned to working more hours. In my dream world - aka financial abundance - we would travel the world. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I would love to go back to university - actually move into an on-or-adjacent campus residential situation and study all the useless things I’m actually interested in learning about. 

Just haven’t figured out what to do with dh. 😂 (jk, he’d be supportive but would not want to move into a dorm 😂)

I am almost at that stage and have actually returned to working more hours. In my dream world - aka financial abundance - we would travel the world. 

The University near me has a Senior Guest program. If you're 60 or older, you can attend classes that have space for free. You don't get credit, but I think it might be fun to take a few classes.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Yep, me too. Travel and go to school.

That said, technically I am an empty nester, but haven't done a whole lot about doing something different now. For the moment, I'm waiting on dh's next steps. When he lands the next exciting step in his career, I'll be able to figure out the logistics of my next steps from whatever context we find ourselves in. It's simply that his job will almost certainly require us to move, so I'm reluctant to set up a whole big new thing until we know what's what.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Walk around my house in my underwear. 😂 Maybe not too much, but sometimes!

Oh, poor thing! I see you missed the Raise The Kids Walking Around in Their Underwear BandWagon

We didn't have AC for the first decade of The Boys life. Comfy Boxers for the win!

• Haha 11

4 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

The University near me has a Senior Guest program. If you're 60 or older, you can attend classes that have space for free. You don't get credit, but I think it might be fun to take a few classes.

I should ask about this! Locally I believe it’s 65 so I’ve got a ways to go, but maybe there’s an option I’d qualify for that I haven’t discovered yet. I know there are all kinds of free online courses but I prefer real life settings. 

1 minute ago, Gil said:

Oh, poor thing! I see you missed the Raise The Kids Walking Around in Their Underwear BandWagon

We didn't have AC for the first decade of The Boys life. Comfy Boxers for the win!

Well, it was one thing when they were little bitty. But now that I'm in my sixties and the ones living here are male young adults, nope.

5 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Well, it was one thing when they were little bitty. But now that I'm in my sixties and the ones living here are male young adults, nope.

It was so nice to be an all Male house hold. I guess there's a chance that I'll have to learn to wear more clothes around the house as my daughter gets older. 😢

23 minutes ago, marbel said:

Have a bathroom all to myself.

Have a room with only my stuff in it: books, comfy chair, sewing machine and a table to sew on...

Oh my goodness, yes! I'm so tired of encountering The Boys crap at random intervals throughout my day!

I'm going to have them sell every thing that they don't take with them before they move! Mwahahahaha!!!

• Like 3

OMG cry my eyes out. I’m far from it (like 18 ish years) but I’m fearful of an empty nest. My kids are my purpose for life. I love Dh dearly, but I need children to nurture. It has brought me so much joy. I don’t want these days to ever end. 

All that being said, after I have a house full of teens I may feel differently. Right now I have a snuggly, chubby, happy, nursing babe. I don’t want these days to end.

If I had to think of something it would be to be able to just go on a hike and not have to limit myself to our least enthusiastic hiker. However, when I have all my kids grown I may be too tired to hike. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

OMG cry my eyes out. I’m far from it (like 18 ish years) but I’m fearful of an empty nest. My kids are my purpose for life. I love Dh dearly, but I need children to nurture. It has brought me so much joy. I don’t want these days to ever end. 

All that being said, after I have a house full of teens I may feel differently. Right now I have a snuggly, chubby, happy, nursing babe. I don’t want these days to end.

If I had to think of something it would be to be able to just go on a hike and not have to limit myself to our least enthusiastic hiker. However, when I have all my kids grown I may be too tired to hike. 

Aaw, that's sweet! 💗

That's also the "I have an infant in my arms that I love so much" talking. :wub:

Trust me, you raise your infants in to kids, and the kids in to cool and interesting people, then you turn the Not So Little Crumb Snatchers loose and watch them be interesting people from afar and on their own. Then you think "Gee, I wonder what other cool and interesting people are out here..." and off you go!

Hiking sounds like it could be a fun hobby!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

If I had to think of something it would be to be able to just go on a hike and not have to limit myself to our least enthusiastic hiker.

This is a terrific goal and it applies to other things like biking, swimming and boating. I found the water sports limitations so hard when my kids were younger. 

Yes I tire more easily as an older person, but the ability to go at my own pace - whatever that may be day to day -  is so, so refreshing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SKL said:

Can I join?

When my kids launch, I hope I will also be able to retire (or semi-retire), and I hope this happens while my parents are still with us so I can spend more time with them.

Yes! The more the merrier!

When The Boys Launch, I'm probably quitting my job  (or semi-retiring) and going to the Beach. I'm just going to be a Beach Bum for like a month straight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gil said:

What would you study?

Why the cello in particular?

1. That's a fine question. My interests at the moment include emergency management and nutrition. The path to an R.D. looks a bit onerous, but then again, I used to have a teaching license....

2. I love the sound of it. Warm, a good range, not too high.

• Like 1

I'm just hoping the ones that have left will come and get the rest of their stuff.  And the one who is staying with us for a while goes through all his moving boxes lining both sides of our garage, and his room.  🙄

• Haha 7

14 minutes ago, 73349 said:

1. That's a fine question. My interests at the moment include emergency management and nutrition. The path to an R.D. looks a bit onerous, but then again, I used to have a teaching license....

2. I love the sound of it. Warm, a good range, not too high.

Serious question: Why can't you do cello with the kids in the house?

I'm sure you've listened to them generate noise for as long as they've been alive. They won't die from listening to you be a beginner for a while and if they find it that uncomfortable, then they can take the initiative to move out even sooner, lol.

• Like 1

When my last kid hits 18, I’ll be 52. Whether he’s officially launched or not, I will be doing whatever the heck I want to after 31 years of child rearing!  
I’m already enjoying being halfway there with 2 kids out, 2 minors and a young adult at home. It IS less than 1/2 the work of 5 young kids.

I do look forward to someday knowing that none of the boxes of snacks on the shelf are empty decoys. Also, ordering just one pizza pie.  And always knowing which piles all the socks and underwear belong in. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gil said:

Serious question: Why can't you do cello with the kids in the house?

I'm sure you've listened to them generate noise for as long as they've been alive. They won't die from listening to you be a beginner for a while and if they find it that uncomfortable, then they can take the initiative to move out even sooner, lol.

When I'm no longer paying for DS's music lessons, I will be able to pay for some for me. (And his empty closet would be a great place to put a cello.)

I hope he doesn't go far, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 73349 said:

When I'm no longer paying for DS's music lessons, I will be able to pay for some for me. (And his empty closet would be a great place to put a cello.)

Naah, I hope that they eventually come back closer after a while, but man I hope the Boys Go Far and Fast when they're ready to launch!

I love 'em to bits, but I would love to not have them in my space for a good couple of years.

They've been gone this summer and it's so good to not have them around me and I'm kinda just a little bit dreading them coming back full time, lol.

I've been working from home for the last few years (Thanks COVID) so I'm feeling more than a little saturated with with "Family Time".

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 73349 said:

Naah, I hope that they eventually come back closer after a while, but man I hope the Boys Go Far and Fast when they're ready to launch!

I love 'em to bits, but I would love to not have them in my space for a good couple of years.

They've been gone this summer and it's so good to not have them around me and I'm kinda just a little bit dreading them coming back full time, lol.

I've been working from home for the last few years (Thanks COVID) so I'm feeling more than a little saturated with with "Family Time".

45 minutes ago, kathyl said:

I'm just hoping the ones that have left will come and get the rest of their stuff.  And the one who is staying with us for a while goes through all his moving boxes lining both sides of our garage, and his room.  🙄

😈Gil's Quick and Dirty Guide to Getting Adult's Belongings Out of Your Home. 😈

1) Create an eBay store per child and list all their best stuff.
2) Send them Links to the eBay store letting them know that you will be selling items online until
a-You have enough to hire a junk moving service to move all the stuff
b-They're motivated to come and get their things!

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

My oldest is 20yo and youngest is 7yo.  My plan when youngest finishes high school is to spend time with grandkids.  

I've got two Sophomores and a two year old.
When The Boys launch, the 2yo will be 5 and will be probably be treated like a grandchild.

She's just going to accompany us and reap the benefit of being there as we live our best lives without The Boys for a while.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Eos said:

This is coming my way this fall and I. Have. No. Idea.

Oh, Living The Life in T-minus-2 Months!

@Eos, you gotta get ready!

One Time Experiences:

Strip Club

(Sober ) Bar

An Expensive Meal in a Restaurant

A Day Trip

Do a Dangerous Excursion (But not a Submersible with Well Known Safety Concerns)

A short vacation in the middle of the week

Small Life Style Changes:

Grocery Shop for all your favorite snacks/goodies and enjoy only you and spouse being around to eat them

Walk around the house in your drawers

Take classes in the community

Teach classes in the community

Take up an expensive hobby

Go to Pound Town with your spouse in the middle of the day or any room of the house just because you can

Get a Pet

Get Rid of a Pet

Sign Your self up for Xpensive, short term Activities

Google a list of Things To Do before You Turn 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70. Compile a list of things that you would want to do.

Edited by Gil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Gil said:

I've got two Sophomores and a two year old.
When The Boys launch, the 2yo will be 5 and will be probably be treated like a grandchild.

She's just going to accompany us and reap the benefit of being there as we live our best lives without The Boys for a while.

That's our youngest to.

When my last kid launches, we'll go to concerts a lot more often.

I'm with @Elizabeth86, I'll probably cry. But Hubby and I are older parents and wanted our kids for so long that I'm really enjoying the small child phase and I really miss the baby stage already 🥹. I would love to have more kids.

• Like 2

My last kid won't ever launch. He has profound developmental delays and we will take care of him as long as we can, and then we'll have to consider a group home or his older siblings will have to figure something out.

Sometimes that makes me sad but other times I'm glad that we'll have him home. Our oldest just graduated from high school and I'm already having a hard time with the thought of him leaving, so it's a comfort to know at least one of our kids will always be here. 

Edited by Insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

This is me right now; my last graduated and leaves soon. I feel like I'm dying on the inside.

I never wanted it to end.

Enjoy the precious days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty far from this. 

My one big dream after my kids are older or adults is to have a small car again. I want 2 seater, can't hold the groceries small.

In reality I'd definitely spend a month just sitting around and playing a video game, fully taking advantage of my husband's sound system and the giant TV. 

Then I want grandchildren, kids that I can just enjoy time with and spoil to bits without being responsible for raising them to be responsible adults. 

6 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I will be at least 64 when Ds launches, probably more like 67-68. I will rightfully be able to play bingo at the Senior Center!

I'll be 36-37 when The Boys launch, but I'm still taking my butt to Bingo! I've always wanted to know what all the hoopla was about!

13 minutes ago, Eos said:

We never had a honeymoon, so that is something I've said I want to do.

Now that's a cool idea!

When The Boys are done,  we want take a cruise as a whole family. When The Daughter is done, Me and the Mrs. will take a cruise all by ourselves.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gil said:
17 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I will be at least 64 when Ds launches, probably more like 67-68. I will rightfully be able to play bingo at the Senior Center!

I'll be 36-37 when The Boys launch, but I'm still taking my butt to Bingo! I've always wanted to know what all the hoopla was about!

Gosh you all have me thinking how old I'll be when my kids hopefully launch and that's late 40's early 50's. Just ripe for me to be looking like a lady with a mid-life crisis cruising in my 2 seater sports car way too slowly.

• Haha 3

Look ladies, I gather that y'all like your kids a lot, but I'm telling you we stocked up on groceries right before The Boys left for their Summer.

That was a month ago. We still have food in this house! There's so much food in this house! I feel so vindicated because usually when they tell me the food is gone in 2-3 weeks, I'm liike How the #$%^ are we out of food? but I was starting to feel like a crazy person who thought that they were buying enough food but wasn't!

There's still bags of frozen fruit, there's still pasta, there's still green vegetables and cans and cans of salmon. When I wanted to grill and looked in the freezer we still have seafood and meat in the freezer. We have an unopened thing of Almond Milk and peanut butter still! We have so much food in this house it's insane! We did buy and eat a big thing of chocolates without The Boys, but it was eaten gradually over a couple of weeks! 😏

I've been to the mountaintop ladies! I've seen the "Empty Nest Future" and it's looking glorious and affordable!!!

Embrace the idea of an empty nest! Ya'll gotta think up stuff to do!

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Gosh you all have me thinking how old I'll be when my kids hopefully launch and that's late 40's early 50's. Just ripe for me to be looking like a lady with a mid-life crisis cruising in my 2 seater sports car way too slowly.

😆You can't think like that, Clarita! I reject the idea that ever mid-40s  to mid-50s person who's living it up is having a midlife crisis! Maybe their just enjoying their life where they are!!!

IF you're not supposed to have nice things in your 20s and early 30s (because of debt and crappy pay) and you're supposed to have kids in your mid-30s and be good parents who prioritize them, then by the time that you get to your late 40s, mid 50s, you can't enjoy nice stuff because you're  "having a midlife crisis" then shit, what are you supposed to do? Mid50s-80s people are navigating around the need/desire to retire so what are you supposed to do?

Ball out on your casket?

Naah! Might as well get you a tiny, 2-seater sports car while you're psyched up to enjoy it and will get 20+ years of use out of it!!!

• Like 3

Yes, I will look forward to food not vanishing at an alarming rate! I will use the funds that previously purchased ever larger  athletic shoes every 6 months to do something fun! I will box up all the lego, but not sell it, of course. 

I would like to go to someplace really warm for January and February every year til we are too old to do it. 

Hey, I know this is a game-thread and Not to be a party pooper, but to those of you dreaming about homeschooling grandkids...I am curious.. What do you plan to do between the time that your YA launches and has a school aged child? Unless you're kids have reproduced at some point between the of 12-18 years old (which is possible, I know) , it's going to be a while until a hypothetical grand child exists and is ready to be homeschooled?

Also, who's to say that your Future child-in-law will want you that involved in their childs life?

No offense, but I wouldn't let my in-laws weigh in on educational decisions for my children so I feel it would be hypocritical to put my hopes on the idea that my child and their partner will let me make those decisions for their kids down the line.

• Like 3