Menu

Tipping ?- yet again

teachermom2834

I know the practice was always to not tip the owner of the salon. Is this still true? I think things have gone to tipping everyone everywhere.

The situation is that we are going to see a hair stylist for my dd we have seen once before. She is very young to be an owner (like 20 or 21 maybe). She was at another salon before but now she opened her own place.  I do not know whether or not to tip her.

I guess I’m more worried about being rude or offensive than the money. By the time I’ve paid for a good haircut and found someone we like who can schedule us when it works I would just as soon tip to keep that relationship happy. But I’m socially awkward as it is and not knowing what I am supposed to do just gets me all tangled up. I admit her youth makes me more inclined to tip.

If I do tip is it 20%? That is about what I would normally do for this if we liked the person and wanted them to be happy to see us when we requested an appointment. We are only talking a $40 cut so I would actually round up to $10 normally. This is probably what I will do unless y’all convince me it is not done. 

I’m more comfortable tipping but then I don’t want her to be all offended like “doesn’t she know I OWN the place?” Lol.  

Since you want to tip, I’d do that, but also make a comment that indicates you know she’s the owner. You know, something like, “Owning your own business at such a young age is impressive! Best wishes to you!”

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know much about tip etiquette for salon owners.

In your situation, I would simply say, “I’m not sure if I’m to tip since you are now a salon owner. However, I know opening your own business is expensive, so I would like to tip/continue to tip to support you/the business/whatever. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tipping is never obligatory.   It was supposed to be a reward for good service, and there have been a few times the service was reprehensible to the point the restaurant manager should have made a groveling apology, but ignored the whole thing.  no, you're not getting a tip.

to things have gone to "everyone expecting a tip".  It has been reported even the self-serve kiosk has asked if someone wanted to leave a tip.   A lot of that is the new check-out electronic devices and software automatically come up with a "add a tip".  (no,)

just because the device wants you to add a tip - doesn't mean you have to add a tip.

Salon owners are collecting "rents" from the stylists who work in their salon.  This is why traditionally they have not been paid tips.

• Like 1

I think I would feel weird not tipping at a haircut - but I've also never had a haircut from a salon owner! You could give a small tip?  ($5 or something).

You could also scope out the situation and decide...like, is this a tiny shop where she doesn't have any other stylists, or did she take over a shop with many stylists renting chairs? If it's a tiny shop, I might be more inclined to tip more, to support the business (unless the cut was overpriced to begin with or the cut turns out badly!).

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, pinball said:

My POV:

Just tip a hairdresser, whether they own the salon or not.

I think that “salon owner doesn’t get tips” is ridiculous piece of tipping advice.

If the hair cut is very expensive like $350 and it’s the owner, is it still 20%? We’re about to give dd a cut as a grad gift.

Tip anyone who gives you a cut, owner or not. Oftentimes owners aren’t getting a cut of all of the business, they are doing booth rental. There is no way to know which model they are using, so tip.

I tip more as a % for less expensive haircuts and it kind of sliding scale ups—-not 20% of a $350 cut, iykwim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

If the hair cut is very expensive like $350 and it’s the owner, is it still 20%? We’re about to give dd a cut as a grad gift.

I still tip 20%. It's a lot more work when you're getting an expensive cut/treatment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

I'm so confused ... I've always just done percentages. 

I should clarify....I often double the cost of the cut when I am at a place like Great Clips....$20 cut with a $20 tip because I am taking up 30 minutes of chair time...  If I were to get a full cut and highlights here, that's $350ish at the local salon, but it's only about an hour of chair time.   It's probably me being cheap, but I'll give a $50 tip rather than $70.  Chair time, not the overall cost of services drives the decision for me.

As it is, I can't afford highlights anymore, so it's a non-issue now.

• Like 1

I used to get haircuts from the salon owner. I once asked her about the “don’t tip the owner“ philosophy and she seemed really irritated about it. She was very nice about it but her words absolutely made it clear she expected to be tipped. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2