Menu

Paint color suggestions- outside doors

Corbster98

We moved into our home a year ago and I am wanting to repaint the outside doors- all have the same red color. Need some color suggestions that go with the existing tan on the house and brownish on windows and as well as  the red on the porch. We have a front porch side deck and back deck that are stained this reddish color that we need to work around. Ideas ?? 

8EB0D651-10BB-422A-94ED-CCB2DE107D3D.jpeg

AB1B7591-CBC3-42D8-A079-382BB8B0D15A.jpeg

6F297047-060E-472E-956C-4F5B5B535149.jpeg

5D7250D2-89AC-4A97-A2DA-AB7DA60FBB1D.jpeg

DB71A86C-8E94-4A72-B55A-B6F87922274D.jpeg

Edited by Corbster98
Added a few more of porch stain we are working with.
  • Like 1

Just now, Kassia said:

We have the same color on our front door that I want to change but I just wanted to say the view from your deck is beautiful! 

Thank you! We love it and feel blessed to live here. We are in Alaska and that side of the house ( living room, kitchen, and dining) have a full view of the AK Range in the distance. 

• Like 6

Lovely home and setting! I'll be no help to you whatsoever! I love the red door! I wish I had picked that colour when I got a new door a couple years ago, but we were intending to move, then COVID happened and we didn't. If you want a white door, we coule do a swap. ☺️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Lovely home and setting! I'll be no help to you whatsoever! I love the red door! I wish I had picked that colour when I got a new door a couple years ago, but we were intending to move, then COVID happened and we didn't. If you want a white door, we coule do a swap. ☺️

Maybe it’s just that it’s too much red for me given the porch/ deck/ railing are all red? Not sure but I’m itching to change it.  
Haha on the white door…. not here in Alaska… 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corbster98 said:

Maybe it’s just that it’s too much red for me given the porch/ deck/ railing are all red? Not sure but I’m itching to change it.  
Haha on the white door…. not here in Alaska… 

Someone obviously loved red tones! I'd have been very attracted to that house if I was in the market to buy a home in Alaska! 🤣

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Can you even paint over the door? I think some of the newer models require special paint treatments that are pretty expensive. I'd look into that. It looks from the photo as if the door is quite new and has never been painted. 

Honestly not sure. I’d think so but will look into it. Don’t think the doors are new given the age of home but could be wrong.

Edited by Corbster98

4 hours ago, Corbster98 said:

I was initially thinking green as some of the interior doors I painted evergreen fog and really like it but then thought it would be too Christmas-y?? 

I don’t think so because the deck is more rusty than a true Christmas red. I immediately thought hunter green when I saw the pics too. Look at that evergreen tree next to your deck. It goes nicely. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Your trim doesn’t go with your stain and your house color. It’s a soft, cooler tone against some very warm siding and decking colors. Are these colors true to life? Are you open to painting your trim also?

It’s a large home and they used that trim color around all doors and windows. Way too much space to paint. We are built on a hillside  in a 3 story home so it would be impossible to paint some of the trim around the windows- we would need professionals. So for now I need to work with the trim. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

I don’t think so because the deck is more rusty than a true Christmas red. I immediately thought hunter green when I saw the pics too. Look at that evergreen tree next to your deck. It goes nicely. 

Agreed. Had not even considered that! Thanks for pointing it out. 

• Like 1

Eta: if you just want to change the door, I’d look at cream, charcoal grey, a deep slate blue-brown, and a warm toned deep green.

Can you link me some examples of the deep slate blue-brown paint colors? I am not even sure I know what that is. 

Your trim doesn’t go with your stain and your house color. It’s a soft, cooler tone against some very warm siding and decking colors. Are these colors true to life? Are you open to painting your trim also?

After thinking some, I would be open to painting the trim around the doors if I could find something that would be complimentary to not only the new door color, but also the existing trim color as it's on all the windows and we have ALOT of windows. I am open to suggestions.

9 hours ago, Corbster98 said:

Can you link me some examples of the deep slate blue-brown paint colors? I am not even sure I know what that is. 

I am thinking somewhere around Benjamin Moore Hale Navy. https://thecolorconcierge.com/benjamin-moore-hale-navy/  You want to find a true neutral blue with both warm and cool undertones, and I would go deep for some contrast.

• Like 3

Fwiw, I really like the Hale Navy paired with the Pale Oak in the photos in the article I posted. I think that Pale Oak is what I would paint the door trim if it reads ok. With your existing house siding color, I think I would bring in a lot of paint chips (you can order online if you aren’t close to stores from places like samplize) to see what feels right.  It’s hard to do online suggestions (for me). But, I’d be looking for something that acts as a warm cream color. You need it to be warm enough to not clash with your siding, but neutral enough to soften the transition to the door color and still go with your window trim.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, I really like the Hale Navy paired with the Pale Oak in the photos in the article I posted. I think that Pale Oak is what I would paint the door trim if it reads ok. With your existing house siding color, I think I would bring in a lot of paint chips (you can order online if you aren’t close to stores from places like samplize) to see what feels right.  It’s hard to do online suggestions (for me). But, I’d be looking for something that acts as a warm cream color. You need it to be warm enough to not clash with your siding, but neutral enough to soften the transition to the door color and still go with your window trim.

Thank you for the suggestions. I agree that those two colors might work really well with my existing colors I am trying to work around. I do think a warm cream would be pretty. I will grab some samples and go from there 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am thinking somewhere around Benjamin Moore Hale Navy. https://thecolorconcierge.com/benjamin-moore-hale-navy/  You want to find a true neutral blue with both warm and cool undertones, and I would go deep for some contrast.

You just picked my new door color. I plan to paint my door soon but hadn't gotten around to actually looking at colors but one look at Hale Navy and I knew that it was the one.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

You just picked my new door color. I plan to paint my door soon but hadn't gotten around to actually looking at colors but one look at Hale Navy and I knew that it was the one.

It is a great color choice! I’m leaning heavily towards the Hale Navy too. 

Our door color is currently Naval. It's my favorite navy blue and looks great with a wreath with cream and teal flowers and tiny pops of red. 

However, I might be tempted to do a black blue like Cheating Heart or a true black like Tricorn. If you decide to do the deck, you could go grays or even Urbane Bronze.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Our door color is currently Naval. It's my favorite navy blue and looks great with a wreath with cream and teal flowers and tiny pops of red. 

However, I might be tempted to do a black blue like Cheating Heart or a true black like Tricorn. If you decide to do the deck, you could go grays or even Urbane Bronze.

I really love the Urban Bronze.