Menu

Need an engaging audiobook please!

madteaparty

I really need this right now for various reasons. I’ve realized listening to audiobooks while walking or driving saves me from various pits. Anyway I could not get into Demon Copperhead as recommended here.

last ones I really enjoyed were: Cousin Bette (that Balzac really wrote soap operas👍) Where the Crawdads sing, the midnight library, Fleishman is in trouble, Our Country friends. I’ve also listened to everything Kate Atkinson has written. 

Lessons in Chemistry and Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo remain unfinished.

anything?🙏

Just finished The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn.  It's not light--Russian female sniper in WW2--but it's very engrossing (& based on a real person's life.) I definitely enjoyed the audiobook due to the Russian accents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

What kinds of books do you like? 

I am listening to Stephen Fry’s Heroes right now. Greek mythology. Very entertaining. 

The whole series is really good:  Heroes, Mythos, and Troy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I loved Cousin Bette, too. Balzac is…interesting.

I also enjoyed Middlemarch by George Eliot. I think I listened to every book she wrote via audiobook (or tried to anyway).

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser (sp?).

And Edith Wharton. A guilty pleasure, I guess.

I don’t know, I particularly like listening to old Victorian novels. Such a strange time period.

• Thanks 1

If you want humor, David Sedaris does the audio for all his books. 😬 

But definitely do The Night Circus or maybe Children of Blood and Bone. If you like NSFW romance try the Kresley Cole paranormal series. The Valkyries are hysterical. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArteHaus said:

I loved Cousin Bette, too. Balzac is…interesting.

I also enjoyed Middlemarch by George Eliot. I think I listened to every book she wrote via audiobook (or tried to anyway).

Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser (sp?).

And Edith Wharton. A guilty pleasure, I guess.

I don’t know, I particularly like listening to old Victorian novels. Such a strange time period.

Ooh. I did love an American Tragedy as a  teen. Sister Carrie might fit!

I also recall I started Dostoevsky’s The Idiot on audio. That ought to last me the rest of my days (if I get over the name issues). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Ooh. I did love an American Tragedy as a  teen. Sister Carrie might fit!

I also recall I started Dostoevsky’s The Idiot on audio. That ought to last me the rest of my days (if I get over the name issues). 

Oh yes! Dostoevsky, excellent choice.

I am an artist so I spend many hours just sitting and have gone through so many audiobooks, especially the Victorian era because they are all…free, lol. 

You know, I usually wouldn’t suggest Thomas Hardy because his writing is just a bit too flowery or cliche for me. However, I think Tess of the D’Ubervilles was very engaging.

Nevertheless, Sister Carrie is one of my favorites. If you get around to it, I hope you enjoy it too:) 

• Thanks 1

Under the Whispering Door and The House in the Cerulean Sea and both excellent fantasy books. The House in the Cerulean Sea is YA fiction.

Under the Whispering Door made me cry like no book ever has. It is such a beautiful story ❤️

Kelly Ripa's book Live Wire is hilarious. I couldn't listen to it in public because I would burst out laughing. 

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Under the Whispering Door and The House in the Cerulean Sea and both excellent fantasy books. The House in the Cerulean Sea is YA fiction.

Under the Whispering Door made me cry like no book ever has. It is such a beautiful story ❤️

Kelly Ripa's book Live Wire is hilarious. I couldn't listen to it in public because I would burst out laughing. 

Kelly

I'm glad to read this about Under the Whispering Door. It's my next audiobook to listen to.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:29 AM, Kidlit said:

Just finished The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn.  It's not light--Russian female sniper in WW2--but it's very engrossing (& based on a real person's life.) I definitely enjoyed the audiobook due to the Russian accents. 

Wow, that's actually the next one on my list. Now I'm even more excited about it. I also loved The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, but it was not an audiobook, but still for sure worth reading.
And I can recommend listening to The End of the Affair By Graham Green; it was a good one. But to be honest, I prefer reading to physical books, and it helps me to be more involved and focus on the plot. The last book I read was Feed by M.T. Anderson, and it was a very good book. I needed to read it for my classes, and I enjoyed that task. I also needed to write on it, and thanks to this page
https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/feed/ and the samples on that novel I managed to do it. The writing was not as exciting as the reading, but actually, I liked those samples because I managed to understand some things from that novel better. I think there is also an option to listen to it, and it's worth it.

Edited by helenalarson
  • Like 1