Menu

Saw something on the news about security when you stay in a hotel

Indigo Blue

They were demonstrating how anyone could walk down to the front desk and claim to be locked out of their room because they couldn’t find the key card, etc., and, without checking identity, the clerk gave the card to someone who was not registered to that room. Honestly, this had never even occurred to me. This is a scary thought. 

This hasn’t been the policy of any of the places we have stayed. They will reset the magnetic lock and code a new key if the requester has id on them. If they don’t (because they were at the pool or something) they have someone cover the front desk while they walk you up and re-verify id. The person on the registration must be the key requester. 

I haven’t lost a key, but I have waited at the front desk several times while they manage other guests. 

• Like 11

We had a card not work at Hyatt Monterey. My husband had to show ID to get a replacement even though he had the malfunctioning card with him. I can unlock my hotel room at Hilton with my phone so it doesn’t matter if I left my key card in my hotel room. 
Hotel bookings for family vacations are under my name and the front desk would not issue a replacement card to my husband. They would expect him to call me and wait at the hotel lobby.

• Like 3

I've had the experience of a key card not working (generally because it was next to something magnetic in my purse), and the front desk just asked my name and room number without requesting ID. DS has also lost his room key on multiple occasions and just had to give his name and room number to get a new one. I've never had anyone from the front desk walk me up to the room to let me in.

• Like 1

We now travel with an extra lock made for hotel rooms.  My youngest travels extensively, even internationally.  Long story short, she has been left alone in hotel rooms overnight internationally as a minor more then once, and on another trip, a hotel employee was letting himself into the rooms, conveniently of all the young female athletes.  

• Sad 5

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This hasn’t been the policy of any of the places we have stayed. They will reset the magnetic lock and code a new key if the requester has id on them. If they don’t (because they were at the pool or something) they have someone cover the front desk while they walk you up and re-verify id. The person on the registration must be the key requester. 

I haven’t lost a key, but I have waited at the front desk several times while they manage other guests. 

This is how it was at the places we stayed lately (within the past 3-4 years).

I’ve always just been able to give last name and room number to get a new key. But, we always check out the whole room again when entering and then engage the order inside door lock/stop so no one is getting in unnoticed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Same.  I now have Lifetime Diamond status at Hilton and that has been the policy at every hotel I have ever stayed at with them across all of their brands. The only exception has been at a couple of locations where a manager knows me by name, but they still verify the room number before issuing a new key.

• Like 2

The time that I lost the key card I was asked for ID to replace it. As a matter of course though staff does have access to your hotel room; so they can do the things they are suppose to do. When they are cleaning your room the door to your room is often kept open (I don't think this is out of line).

So I don't leave valuables just lying about in the hotel room. Either I keep it on my persons or at least in the hotel safe. If something is bigger than something that can be kept in the hotel safe, some hotels can hold things for you at the front desk as well. When I'm in the room then I always use that mechanical lock to lock the door. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I've had the experience of a key card not working (generally because it was next to something magnetic in my purse), and the front desk just asked my name and room number without requesting ID. DS has also lost his room key on multiple occasions and just had to give his name and room number to get a new one. I've never had anyone from the front desk walk me up to the room to let me in.

This has been my experience, too. I mostly stay at Marriott properties. I think it would be pretty difficult for (a nefarious) someone  to find out both my name and room number without me giving them the info myself. I don't typically stay at really large properties, and the front desk staff usually recognizes/remembers me. I think it would be different at a large, busy resort. 

Definitely something to think about. 

Edited by popmom

4 hours ago, zimom said:

on Amazon, search:   portable travel door lock

I looked these up. There are a ton of options. How would one of these locks be in an emergency situation such as a fire--(no power)? Would it be easy to remove in darkness if needed? I'm actually more paranoid about needing to evacuate my room than someone breaking in. I want to be able to GET OUT. lol

Edited by popmom
  • Like 6

This thought has never occurred to me either. I’ve never lost a key so I have no idea what the procedure is. 

AirBnb has had so much bad stuff connected to them though. And they work really really hard to cover it up. Google Airbnb murders or Airbnb cover ups.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-06-15/airbnb-spends-millions-making-nightmares-at-live-anywhere-rentals-go-away

It was just a mistake but the last time my parents stayed with them another couple came in with the door code when my parents were there and had booked the same days. It was really awkward to say the least. Airbnb refunded them their entire trip and some extra. I don’t know what the other couple did? Found a hotel room, I guess?

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

We were once given key cards to a room that was already occupied. DH walked into the room where someone was sleeping--thank goodness they probably never knew (and that sleeping was all that was going on!) 😳

I had that happen to me on a work trip one time - a worker had gotten sick and they gave her the room to rest in for her break. I happened to check in over her break. I got an upgrade to an ocean view for my trouble.

We just stayed at a hotel for about a month in Feb and were never asked for ID when the card didn't work or we were locked out. Granted, after the first week or so, they knew us, but I know DD lost her card during the first few days. I don't think I've ever been asked for ID to get a new room key or rekey it.