Menu

Is it because of my age that I cling to paper planners?

My dh thinks so. I own a PDA and a Palm phone. It has it's benefits, but I still love my paper planners. I love seeing a whole month/week/day all laid out and I feel like I can better organize my time because I can see everything and adjust as needed. My dh says I just don't like new things. But surely, no matter what the age, I can't be the only one?

What do you think?

Ruthie

My dh thinks so. I own a PDA and a Palm phone. It has it's benefits, but I still love my paper planners. I love seeing a whole month/week/day all laid out and I feel like I can better organize my time because I can see everything and adjust as needed. My dh says I just don't like new things. But surely, no matter what the age, I can't be the only one?

What do you think?

Ruthie

I like trying new things, am technologically savvy and youngish (34) and very much prefer a paper planner. I'm also a serious list maker. Love to see it all in front of me... on paper.

My paper planner lays open on my kitchen counter, where I see it every time I go in the kitchen. I don't have to turn it on, I can see the whole week laid out, I can jot down notes right away while I'm thinking about them.

No tiny buttons to push, no small screen to squint at, no complexities at all.

I also have no interest in a Kindle, or any sort of computerized book reader. I prefer my books and magazines to be paper.

Michelle T

I'm a paper planner myself. I have a hard time with techno devices. I just got my dh's hand me down palm phone, it's driving me crazy.

I prefer real books, don't like pdf books and want to hold something tangible in my hand. That being said, I love my laptop, but for planning, I want paper.

Otherwise what else am I going to pile on my desk? :D:lol:

Raising my hand for paper here, too, & I'm 29.

I've seen too many technology glitches cause the loss of everything to ever rely *solely* on those! ;)

BUT, that said, I also tend to cling a little to older ways. I like a lot of technology--digital camera, internet, word processor--but while a CD player is fine for background, a record player counts as an actual (cool) activity. MP3 players & fwd I haven't even seen, much less used!

Raising my hand for paper here, too, & I'm 29.

I've seen too many technology glitches cause the loss of everything to ever rely *solely* on those! ;)

BUT, that said, I also tend to cling a little to older ways. I like a lot of technology--digital camera, internet, word processor--but while a CD player is fine for background, a record player counts as an actual (cool) activity. MP3 players & fwd I haven't even seen, much less used!

Paper is more permanent. I know where it is. I can "remember" what lessons my children have completed or when we went to the dr last or whatever. Or look back at my calendar from long, long ago and figure out what day dh and I met . . . :001_tt1:

37, former software engineer, paper planner girl. As I explained to a former co-worker who poked fun at my "antiquated" planner: short of fire or flood, my planner will never fail me. Conversely, when we rely on batteries and software to hold all of our contact and schedule information, we set our selves up for a big ol' single point of failure fiasco.

I use my paper planner, and back it up to Google calendar, so my husband can check my schedule before he commits to stuff when he can't necessarily reach me.

Dude, Aubrey, you have a *word processor*? You know your computer will do that for you, right? :tongue_smilie:

I haven't read all the replys but I like paper (and lists too-paper lists actually) b/c it's right there in front of you all the time to see. It's harder to forget things b/c there right there in front of your face!

slightly OT. . . I started a job at a company and asked if they could get me a rolodex for my desk to keep all my contacts in. They told me no. . .I needed to use the contacts feature in outlook. . .um, that's great, but when the power goes out cause there's a bad storm, I need to be able to call the babysitter or school to make sure my kids are ok. . .the computers only effective if you have power. I think there's a point when we can be a little TOO reliant on technology.

It's a tactile issue for me. I appreciate technology and have a Treo to simplify my life. However, it doesn't appeal to my senses in the same fashion that writing--physically writing--the task will do. I take ownership of the task or list when it's handwritten, but less so when it's typed into a device, including a computer (Yahoo) planner.

To me, a paper to do list is an artistic visionary thing. I love the sound of pen or pencil moving across the page.

I too love to see the whole week or month laid out in front of me.

I hadn't thought of this before, but I found myself agreeing to the artistic-visionary comment. However the real reason I prefer paper and pen is for efficiency.

I have some gadgets but generally technology is (more often than not) a time waster for me! Paper and pen = fast + reliable!!! I finally settled this issue a few months ago after seriously considering a Palm purchase. Ah-hem... I'm 43.

Good! then it's not just me!!! I understand why he thinks it more convenient cause his computer is ALWAYS on and in use, but with me, I'm home all day and in the kitchen or school area.

I've heard people tell me I could lose my paper, but not my computer. I laugh at that one. Have you ever had a computer die on you?:eek:

Off to buy my new 2009 planner!!! YAY!!!!

when my husband gave me his old PDA (he upgraded).

While age may have something to do with it, I really think, for me, it goes hand-in-hand with my visual learning style. I am not comfortable unless I can SEE all the dates on a calendar, and see how they relate to one another. Just not possible when all the data is put on little bits of silicone and whatever else they're made of stuffings.

I was like this for years. But when I started having shoulder problems from carrying around my heavy purse/planner combo and found myself often asking my husband to set reminders on his PDA, I realized that it was time to change.

I now have an iPhone and I wouldn't go back. I always have my homeschool inventory with me, books to read (although I DO still prefer IRL books if I have a choice), a phone, a calendar, a camera, a GPS, google search, music and seminars for listening, and the occasional game with me. I feel enriched. My iPhone backs up to my Mac, and I haven't had trouble with losing data.

But I do understand what you are saying about paper.

Paper all the way here. Actually, I just use a Flylady calendar on the wall by the front door.

I even do my checkbook on paper. I use the big ledger sheets with 7 columns instead of a checkbook ledger. I tried MS Money. I tried Quicken. I just hated doing it on the computer.

I also don't own a PDA or anything that would function like one.

:hurray:I'm not the only one! Chris nags me all.the.time. about using my paper planner. He wants me to use Google Calendar so we can sync them, yada, yada, yada. I love my paper planner. I love to see it all laid out before me. I love writing all the little notes. I love the smell of it. I love the feel of it. I'm going to pop him if he doesn't lay off.:glare:

ETA: I'm 30, and my dh, Chris (who loves his Google Calendar) is 42.

Edited by RebeccaS

I've been using computers for 30 years now, and will celebrate my tenth year as part-time computer science / information technology prof in January. I was born during the Kennedy administration (do the math).

And I still use a paper Covey planner. Like others have said, it's more enduring and reliable to me. I went through Covey training almost 15 years ago, and that's how I think and plan.

Don't fix what ain't broke!

(and my cell phone is a cheapie pre-paid one)

How old are you, Ruthie?

I am 35.

I do enjoy technology. I've had a cell phone since '92, when no one had one. And I love the Web and lots of other stuff. But he really wanted me to try scheduling on the PDA, truly believes it will make my life easier, but I've been miserable for the past 7 months. I feel so unorganized, it makes me queasy!

But, I'm all better now and giddy with happiness and dream of filling up my new PAPER planner for the new year!!!

I am 29 and I do too. I can see it on the computer, but I really have to have most things on paper before they become concrete. I think it may be more the lifestyle than anything else. Are you a SAHM that has been at it for some time? My dh works and is at a computer a lot of the day. His meetings are planned through there, his schedule pops up every 10 minutes through the day and reminds him of stuff. Me, I am not on the computer all day. I am out schooling the kids, enjoying not sitting at a desk all day and I prefer to have a paper calendar. Totally a lifestyle thing for me. :)

Now, I'm 34, and been using a computer since I was 5. I don't see the benefit of all current technology, but I have been longing for a handheld electronic calendar. I am tired of lugging around so much stuff. I do print out my calendar for the week, and do enjoy crossing things off of it, as does my oldest dd. I print out a weekly assignment sheet for her, and the crossed off, written-on assignment sheet gets filed with the completed papers. So we still keep a past record, but I don't keep a hard copy of future things, as that can change (and often does). My electronic version just keeps things neat for when I am ready to print!

So what I would love to do is be able to get a blackberry so that I can view and edit Office documents on the fly(including the weekly assignment sheet), and be able to access my electronic calendar on the fly as well. That way I never accidently leave "it" at home, on the computer, and never have to print out papers to take with me just to be able to remember an address or contact that was in an email, and I transferred to my calendar so that I wouldn't forget!