Menu

March craft thread

37 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Finally finished this shirt I've been puttering along on. PXL_20230309_142016216.thumb.jpg.bca559bb09e33274b8adc95d6fe0bebb.jpg

Oh wow! I can't believe that is homemade!

5 minutes ago, Starr said:

🤣   Sounds like he's spent more time with computers. 

Yes, but this was manually 'driving" the machine. He does sketch really well though, line drawings are NOT my area of skill when it comes to art. I paint, but sketching like that, simple line drawings, are not something I can do. (I once drew something and my husband saw it on the counter and said, oh, did DD4 make that? Sigh)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jane in NC said:

what did you use?

No swooning needed 😄, I used the All Day Shirt from Liesl + Co. This was my second time through, I sized up, lengthened the arms, and decreased the cuff diameter. Although I like the pattern instructions, I've been incorporating some of the assembly tips from Saremy at Sew Sew Live. She runs a fabulous sewing community, if you want to check it out.

The Negroni shirt looks very stylish! I've also heard very positive things about the Sanders button up from Elbe recently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

No swooning needed 😄, I used the All Day Shirt from Liesl + Co. This was my second time through, I sized up, lengthened the arms, and decreased the cuff diameter. Although I like the pattern instructions, I've been incorporating some of the assembly tips from Saremy at Sew Sew Live. She runs a fabulous sewing community, if you want to check it out.

The Negroni shirt looks very stylish! I've also heard very positive things about the Sanders button up from Elbe recently.

The Sanders is very nice.  Thanks for mentioning it and Sew Sew Live.

I like Helen's Closet patterns.  She has a button up (the Cameron) but I wanted to mention her latest pattern, the Wildwood, a vest/jacket that I look forward to making.

Before I do that though I need to make another Henley (Hayden from 5 out of 4). I'll attach a photo of my first from this pattern. I'm on the learning curve here.  While I've done many a placket on wovens, this was my first placket on a knit.  Slippery, slippery.  I ended up using a walking foot since I don't have a fancy pants sewing machine--just a basic Husqvarna VIking.

Since you too sew menswear, I'll mention that 5 out of 4 has a nice boxer short pattern.  Instead of a back seam, there is a v-back for comfort. 

henley.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I can not believe my bad luck.  I got 18" into the weekender for the 2nd time and noticed a very clear dye lot problem.   They were all the same lot though. But it's a clear line. I am so sad.  I took a picture from both directions. 

20230320_150912.jpg

20230320_150841.jpg

Oh, that is so sad. It was going great, but yes, they messed up that dye lot! 

On 3/20/2023 at 6:11 PM, busymama7 said:

I can not believe my bad luck.  I got 18" into the weekender for the 2nd time and noticed a very clear dye lot problem.   They were all the same lot though. But it's a clear line. I am so sad.  I took a picture from both directions. 

20230320_150912.jpg

20230320_150841.jpg

How frustrating! If you do to rip back, I wonder if you could blend it with alternating rows from the two balls...

Edited by Miss Tick
thanks to all of you who figure out what it was I actually meant to type
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

How frustrating! If you do to rip back, I wonder if you could blend it with alternative routes from the two balls...

I've done that with non-matching yarns of similar colors, and it had a nice heathered look when it was done. 

• Like 3

I am just starting to work seriously on garment sewing -- can I ask where you find fabric for these beautiful garments that you all have made? I know there are tons of places to order online, but how can you tell the quality? I have made do so far with the local JoAnn's, which is all we have, but I am looking for natural fabrics like high quality cotton, wool, and linen, and their selection is slim, to say the least.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Amoret said:

I am just starting to work seriously on garment sewing -- can I ask where you find fabric for these beautiful garments that you all have made? I know there are tons of places to order online, but how can you tell the quality? I have made do so far with the local JoAnn's, which is all we have, but I am looking for natural fabrics like high quality cotton, wool, and linen, and their selection is slim, to say the least.

I, too, only have JoAnn (I don't do Hobby Lobby or Walmart fabrics). I used to shop at Fabric .com pretty regularly, but now they've merged with Amazon and searching is so, so difficult that I quit. There are so many shops online it can be hard to know who to trust! I've heard good things about Harts and Mood Fabrics, you might try those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Amoret--One can find garment fabrics at JoAnn but you have to pick through a lot of clutter to find them.

My local fabric store makes its money selling machines and quilt fabrics but they have a small selection of garment fabrics.  There are some garment sewists employed there who have great ideas and pattern tips.  It's worth the occasional trip.

I am a fan of Fancy Tiger in Denver. I've had the good fortune of visiting the shop but I find their online descriptions point me in the right direction for ordering. Hawthorne Supply is another of the mail order companies that I use. 

It helps to learn "the hand" of certain fabrics. For example, I regularly use Kaufman Essex and Brussels Washer as well as Art Gallery knits.  I can order those online and know what I am going to receive.

I hadn't realized that fabric.com was owned by Amazon. Years ago I bought fabric from them but then had a negative experience.  I ordered three yards of something and received my fabric in two pieces, one 2 yard and a single yard.  This didn't work for my project. What annoyed me was that I was responsible for the return postage.  That was it for me.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:11 PM, busymama7 said:

20230320_150912.jpg

20230320_150841.jpg

I would leave it and let people think it is a purposeful design choice! IF they even notice once it is washed and on a human body - might jus tlook like the lighting is hitting it differently. 

On 3/20/2023 at 7:30 PM, Eos said:

Some recent pysanky at our house.  Daughters' are perfect, mine is the wobbly acorn one.

image.png.b0de5699e2b3c0d38b49ed31e66340cf.png

HOW??? Those are amazing! 

• Like 2

Any of you garment sewers have a link to a pattern or tutorial for a TRUE beginner top? I'm thinking sleeveless to make it easier - we are going to hit the 80s today and i wear sleeveless almost entirely to avoid visually sweaty armpits here in humid Florida. I've only done pillows/quilts/etc...woven stuff, but am willing to try a knit for a basic simple pattern. No pleats or darts or anything, just something simple to throw over my capri leggings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I love the skeleton one in particular! Coelacanth? Fish?

Yes, a fish.  Might be a salmon.  The other sides are aster, a ring-necked snake, and a cranberry vine with a berry.  Youngest dd's seasons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Any of you garment sewers have a link to a pattern or tutorial for a TRUE beginner top? I'm thinking sleeveless to make it easier - we are going to hit the 80s today and i wear sleeveless almost entirely to avoid visually sweaty armpits here in humid Florida. I've only done pillows/quilts/etc...woven stuff, but am willing to try a knit for a basic simple pattern. No pleats or darts or anything, just something simple to throw over my capri leggings. 

Two ideas come to mind. You might like the Reynolds Top/Dress from Helen's Closet. There is a video for the top on YouTube by Sew Sew Live, so you could sew along with her, I find that helpful sometimes. I am cheap, though, so I would be unlikely to buy the pattern unless I really loved the shirt version a lot, or thought I would eventually make the dress version.

A second option would be the free Sorbetto pattern. I made that one a couple years ago using an old cotton scarf I had. I don't remember the pattern being at all tricky, I just didn't have much fabric to use which was a challenge.

Both of these have bust darts, though. But you can do those, I'm confident!

I thought of another one. I haven't made this, although I made a different pattern by the designer and the instructions were clear (which didn't keep me from making a few mistakes all on my own!) The Lago tank is free, knit, and no darts!

• Like 1

Sew Liberated's Strata Top may be just the ticket for @ktgrok. Only three pattern pieces! Sewn out of lawn or voile, this would be a flowy shirt, perfect for those hot days.

Meg offers a video tutorial on her website, something to watch before committing. (Click on resources.)

Double gauze is a great breathable fabric as well.  One of my favorites for the heat of summer.

Edited by Jane in NC
  • Like 1

Folks, I bought too much fabric.

Whether food for guests or craft supplies for my various projects, I tend to buy an abundance to make sure there's plenty. It's a little silly and unfortunately wasteful.

When I was making masks, I bought way too much fabric. And most of it is wonderful, lovely fabric. Some of what I have are Christmas themed, and others are just nice designs that match up to the different personalities of people I was sewing for. I'm just not sure if I'll use it again? Yet it's such lovely fabric. You see how my mind loops...get rid of it...but it's so pretty... and so on.

I also have some basic neutrals--white, cream gray, black, brown. It's all basic cotton.

Do you save leftover fabric from craft projects or do you pass it along? Any fabulous suggestions?

Edited by Harriet Vane

How large are your remnants, @Harriet Vane? I make zip pouches out of smaller pieces. Or how about Noodlehead's minimalist wallets?

Helen's Closet Costa Tote (free pattern here) is grand if you have half yard to one yard pieces.

And of course you can make cloth napkins--use them as furoshiki.

I rarely do piece work projects so I purged my small bits in January. This proved to be fruitful since I found several forgotten fabrics!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jane in NC said:

Or how about Noodlehead's minimalist wallets?

Great idea! I've done their free pattern for Wide Open Zipper Pouches numerous times. The free patterns are here.

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Do you save leftover fabric from craft projects or do you pass it along? Any fabulous suggestions?

do you quilt? That would be an obvious choice. My mom recently hemmed some 12" squares of quilting cotton to use as napkins. Maybe rag rugs? Christmas table runner?

Full disclosure: my scraps tend to gather in crooked, unwieldy piles in the corners of my sewing room. 😄

Edited by Miss Tick
oops! forgot a link
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

Folks, I bought too much fabric.

Whether food for guests or craft supplies for my various projects, I tend to buy an abundance to make sure there's plenty. It's a little silly and unfortunately wasteful.

When I was making masks, I bought way too much fabric. And most of it is wonderful, lovely fabric. Some of what I have are Christmas themed, and others are just nice designs that match up to the different personalities of people I was sewing for. I'm just not sure if I'll use it again? Yet it's such lovely fabric. You see how my mind loops...get rid of it...but it's so pretty... and so on.

I also have some basic neutrals--white, cream gray, black, brown. It's all basic cotton.

My ace right now is that my grandson likes to sew random pieces together just to see what he can come up with so anything under 1/4 yd/23cm goes go him. Now that I am making cloth napkins again, hot pads, coasters, and also baby clothes, I am saving the larger scraps for some of these things. I have a friend who makes a scrappy quilt every year that she donates to an organization that provides blankets to families in need. she makes kid themed ones as well. So that is a nice way to use up the leftovers. She uses flannel or thrift store blankets for the centers so she doesn't have to buy batting which is getting really expensive. My mother in law has this crazy stock pile of huge amounts of flannel that she can't use, and she gave me a bunch. The last throw quilt I made for our couch had two layers not flannel for the center instead of batting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We use cloth Christmas bags/wrap and are trying to get a small collection for birthdays as well.

Did you intend to post a link for this? I would love such a pattern! Oh, found it! https://blog.noodle-head.com/2012/06/open-wide-zippered-pouch-diy-tutorial.html

3 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Great idea! I've done their free pattern for Wide Open Zipper Pouches numerous times. The free patterns are here.

Edited by kbutton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Amoret said:

Here in Australia I go to Spotlight or source fabric form Op-shops

Edited by Melissa in Australia

On 3/11/2023 at 10:44 PM, Kareni said:

Last month I made several bookmarks. I was inspired by this book (which I read and then gave as a gift) ~

Book Marks: An Artist's Card Catalog: Notes from the Library of My Mind by Barbara Page

You can see an assortment of the author/artist's works at the link above.

Pictured below are the fronts and backs of the bookmarks that I made. (The mah jongg one, at the bottom, was something different that I made for a friend.)

Fronts:

20230131_112149.thumb.jpg.83cf41607997dc7f6e33319cd1f68a01.jpg

Backs:

20230131_112206.thumb.jpg.533671bfc30ed011eabfda55e067ee1c.jpg

The leftmost bookmark was made using an older date due slip that I found in a discarded library book at a thrift store. It was a fortunate find as Death Comes for the Archbishop is a favorite book of the recipient. The two bookmarks on the right were made from old library card catalog cards that my library is now using as scratch paper. One went to a friend to celebrate the completion of her library training program. She likes music thus the choice of a musically themed card. The other bookmark was a thank you for a different friend; for her, I chose a card for a translated book as she reads many such books.

I decorated the cards with a variety of items such as temporary tattoos, a postage stamp, decorative paper, recycled paper, and handwritten quotes. The alligators are an inside joke, and my husband printed a copyright free image on sticker paper for those. I had the finished bookmarks laminated at a local copy shop.

I'm curious to know if your library still has such cards around.

Regards,

Kareni

I bought this book based on your post!

i just love it…I love all things books, libraries, papers, stationary, ephemera…etc.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Your cards are very sweet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20230208_201339537_small2.jpg

I'm still knitting the stripey cardigan from the February thread. I'm probably 3/4 done and it's eating up a lot of worsted-chunky scraps. I'm to the point where I have to find substitutes for half of the original yarn, hopefully without buying any new yarn. It's a lot of triple and quadruple yarns for some colors.   

IMG_20230328_102215220_small2.jpg

I've also been working on the Nasrin pullover by Isabell Kraemer, but it's in the long, boring section so I take it out when I need something portable. The Granger cardigan is NOT portable and the puppy likes to root through the basket and chew balls and then I'm rewinding everything every time I change colors. I really need to finish that seed stitch bathrobe before the weather warms up. 

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, LostSurprise said:

IMG_20230208_201339537_small2.jpg

I'm still knitting the stripey cardigan from the February thread. I'm probably 3/4 done and it's eating up a lot of worsted-chunky scraps. I'm to the point where I have to find substitutes for half of the original yarn, hopefully without buying any new yarn. It's a lot of triple and quadruple yarns for some colors.   

IMG_20230328_102215220_small2.jpg

I've also been working on the Nasrin pullover by Isabell Kraemer, but it's in the long, boring section so I take it out when I need something portable. The Granger cardigan is NOT portable and the puppy likes to root through the basket and chew balls and then I'm rewinding everything every time I change colors. I really need to finish that seed stitch bathrobe before the weather warms up. 

Lovely! 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 1:51 PM, ktgrok said:

Me too! I mean, I did some really easy pants, but I feel like it souldn't have been as hard as it was. I really really would like to make some tops...but I'm just not up to putting in sleeves. I'm actually thinking about making some sleeveless tunics for summer, just to avoid dealing with sleeves. But then there is still the neckline to deal with - I do have a rolled hem foot tha tmight work to finish a neckline. I just don't know. And when I tried to ask for a very simple beginner shirt pattern on the reddit sewing group I was told to just google it. Real helpful!

Just google it! Oh, I am so sorry, that’s really crummy advice.

thwre are some really wonderful indie pattern companies online.

disclaimer..I have been sewing for over 50 years and knits almost that long…

If you are not on Facebook, you can still shop websites …

My personal  favorite is Love Notions. They do have woven and knit patterns. They have many “ambassadors” who help monitor their Facebook page and offer advice. A woman started this company less than 5 years ago, talked her sister into stepping into the world of sewing , she did and sews beautiful clothes!  between them they have a wonderful company.

so in my world, knits are easy to sew. Yes I have a very nice serger, but there was even a serger on the  market when I was in Highschool making my own sweaters and swim suits, etc. My home Ec teacher didn’t even know how to teach knits and she was fresh out of college. I sewed my daughters wardrobes, mosTly knit, without a serger. 

love notions has a free pattern you get the code for on their Facebook page. It is a fabulous place to start. Make a sleeveless tank…but setting in sleeves with knits is so easy that I struggle with talking myself into sewing with woven. 

I have another make to tack on to the tail end of this month's thread. I finished these socks, wove in the end and was holding them up to show my kids when I discovered that one sock was an inch shorter than the other! 🤦🏼‍♀️😂 Luckily it was in the leg portion, so I picked it back open, ripped out the cuff, restarted, got ½ inch in, realized I must be using the wrong leftover ball, ripped the new out started yet again!, and finally finished on Monday. Phew! Now on to the next project!

PXL_20230329_143310824.jpg

Edited by Miss Tick
a reader can only autocorrect so many words before the writer just must edit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Miss Tick said:

I have another make to tack on to the trail ends if this month's thread. I finished these socks, wife in the end and was holding them up to show my kids when I discovered that one sick was an inch shorter than the other! 🤦🏼‍♀️😂 Luckily it was in the leg portion, so I picked it back open, ripped out the cuff, restarted, got ½ inch in, realized I must be using the wrong leftover ball, ripped the new out started yet again!, and finally finished on Monday. Phew! Now on to the next project!

PXL_20230329_143310824.jpg

Those are fun! Well done!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I am not happy with it, but it was a learning  experiance. Always good to try new things. The fabric was from a bag of reminents someone gave me years ago so it was nice to clear them out. 

Is it applique or reverse applique? It looks large, and snuggly warm.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Is it applique or reverse applique? It looks large, and snuggly warm.

Not exactly. The circle bits are cut out of the squares, then a narrow seam put into the squares to make them slightly smaller, then the circles sewn onto different squares. I used a zig zag stitch.  Something called pancake stacking according to the magazine I got the pattern from. 

• Like 2

16803700549081151595186722610154.thumb.jpg.939bcdb1bfa7f7aa4c53a110b645fa03.jpgI know it's April already, but here is the quilt I made for my brother. He's been doing his best against cancer. We don't live close, so I hope he will feel loved when he wraps up in his quilt. He served in the Navy, so I went for the patriotic theme.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mona said:

16803700549081151595186722610154.thumb.jpg.939bcdb1bfa7f7aa4c53a110b645fa03.jpgI know it's April already, but here is the quilt I made for my brother. He's been doing his best against cancer. We don't live close, so I hope he will feel loved when he wraps up in his quilt. He served in the Navy, so I went for the patriotic theme.

That is beautiful!

• Like 4