Menu

March Garden accomplishments, dreams, goals, frustrations, what's up? Talk to me.

Faith-manor

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am so frustrated. I started digging a hole for a tree a few weeks ago. I had to call 811, wait for the utility markings, waited out two snowstorms, started the hole and got it 18” wide, waited through another (10”) snowstorm, waited through five days of rain and then hail this am…. I went out with the shovel and five minutes in hit solid bedrock. My hole is plenty wide and about 12” deep, but there’s no way tree roots can get through this rock layer. 

I am super glad I hadn’t picked up the tree yet, but I am so dang mad because every other neighbor has lovely fruit trees mine could pollinate off of…but it just can’t happen in my stupid lot.

I've been thinking about your dilemma. You may already know the answer to this, but I'm wondering if anyone in the area knows about the strata, and if that bedrock is in layers or is solid all the way down.  In our area, there are places that have something called caliche, and some trees, even pecans, will grow down through it. ?? Is it something that if you got a jack hammer to work over the immediate hole, it would give the tree a fighting chance to get started?  Obviously if the "bedrock" is solid granite, probably not...

Hoping you have possibilities!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I've been thinking about your dilemma. You may already know the answer to this, but I'm wondering if anyone in the area knows about the strata, and if that bedrock is in layers or is solid all the way down.  In our area, there are places that have something called caliche, and some trees, even pecans, will grow down through it. ?? Is it something that if you got a jack hammer to work over the immediate hole, it would give the tree a fighting chance to get started?  Obviously if the "bedrock" is solid granite, probably not...

Hoping you have possibilities!

Thanks!! Most likely it is granite. I am in a valley between two mountain ranges. I really want/need a tree there to block summer blinding light and heat against the house, but I really worry about a dwarf tree’s abilities to be able to withstand when we have harsh east winds. Blueberry bushes would be climate appropriate, and their roots are shallow and wide, but then I lose aesthetics if I let it go tall enough to block the window I need it to provide shade for. I am hesitant to put a root busting plant in that space because the sewer line is not far away and I don’t want to start trouble. An espalier would bring down the fruit production #s I want to see. I don’t have space to do two hazelnuts trimmed as bushes and no one in my neighborhood can offer pollination. I have close neighbors with apples, cherries, and peaches. 

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Thanks!! Most likely it is granite. I am in a valley between two mountain ranges. I really want/need a tree there to block summer blinding light and heat against the house, but I really worry about a dwarf tree’s abilities to be able to withstand when we have harsh east winds. Blueberry bushes would be climate appropriate, and their roots are shallow and wide, but then I lose aesthetics if I let it go tall enough to block the window I need it to provide shade for. I am hesitant to put a root busting plant in that space because the sewer line is not far away and I don’t want to start trouble. An espalier would bring down the fruit production #s I want to see. I don’t have space to do two hazelnuts trimmed as bushes and no one in my neighborhood can offer pollination. I have close neighbors with apples, cherries, and peaches. 

Hmmm. I wonder if your county agricultural people could make suggestions. I hope you are able to find a solution!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Would it be possible to rent a jack hammer and bust up the rock so the roots can easily go through and around? I have no idea if that is a thing or not, but thought, "Brainstorm the solution."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an orchid cactus. Left from prior owner of house. Here is a picture in bloom: F85159D9-4E33-4FD8-951E-555AACCF745A.thumb.jpeg.4f7698eb084609209ffa6b8a20bfad14.jpegWell the other day we saw these:EB305AEE-A225-47CB-9662-DEC7177F339B.thumb.jpeg.8954557b794e69eecf68592bbd253cb9.jpegD2A89E27-E6B3-49C0-9BE4-15D53861FA78.thumb.jpeg.f91f1db84733ce39a35e632aec7be9ff.jpeg

So I looked it up tonight and they are EDIBLE fruits "rarely produced". I have two! First time in four years.

I have a lot going on in my garden right now, but this made me giddy.

• Like 17

You have all been very productive! I’ve not been able to do much. Last week I went out and started pruning to get ready for spring. Our weather has been so chaotic that many plants that should still be dormant are starting to leaf. I still need to finish pruning my roses, I am about halfway done but am stretched for time and have had some health delays. Last year they developed a fungus so I need to aggressively thin them this year. I’ve also not gotten to my crepe myrtle yet. 

We were into the 75-80 degree F range several days in February, which is extremely unusual. There were only a few weeks of winter temperatures the entire season. 

I’m puzzled about what to do with bulbs. On a whim I purchased a bulb mix last fall - daffodils and tulips. They have been tucked in my fridge all winter. I should have planted them last month, according to the directions, but couldn’t figure out where & when. We have a very small urban yard & I’m  thinking of finding a large pot and putting them on the front porch, but I haven’t figured out exactly where yet. In addition to these bulbs, last year I had some Cala Lillie’s in planters on the front porch and they did very well - the planters are in a prominent place on the porch & they were “oohed and aahhed” over. I didn’t dig out the bulbs because I figured they would get cold enough not being in the ground. But then the temperature didn’t cooperate with me. I’m not sure if I should leave them there to see what happens or go ahead and relocate them so that I can be sure the planters look really nice again. The planters are each three feet long and I have four of them, each one sitting between the posts that hold the balcony above up. 

I think my porch planting might migrate to the balcony, but it will require discipline because I don’t go out there often in the heat of the summer. I also need to be careful of what I put out there because our cats like to be out there to see what’s happening in the neighborhood.

I have two of the composite urn planters on either side of the front door. We get some wind bursts sometimes and I’ve  had to replace one of them because it blew over & broke. Another one has a crack in it & needs to be replaced. I’m thinking of getting some heavier weight planters for that location instead, but I haven’t yet seen anything heavy weight a good shape & color yet. I’ll keep looking. I’m thinking of putting some limelight hydrangeas there. I have two in the side yard. There’s also space in one of the front beds for one. I’m wondering if this could be too much of a good thing, though. What do you all think? How much is too much on a small footprint? 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ikslo said:

I have an orchid cactus. Left from prior owner of house. Here is a picture in bloom: F85159D9-4E33-4FD8-951E-555AACCF745A.thumb.jpeg.4f7698eb084609209ffa6b8a20bfad14.jpegWell the other day we saw these:EB305AEE-A225-47CB-9662-DEC7177F339B.thumb.jpeg.8954557b794e69eecf68592bbd253cb9.jpegD2A89E27-E6B3-49C0-9BE4-15D53861FA78.thumb.jpeg.f91f1db84733ce39a35e632aec7be9ff.jpeg

So I looked it up tonight and they are EDIBLE fruits "rarely produced". I have two! First time in four years.

This is absolutely beautiful! I looked it up and it’s a seven year wait to bloom. What a gift from the previous owners! Are you planning on trying the fruit? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

This is absolutely beautiful! I looked it up and it’s a seven year wait to bloom. What a gift from the previous owners! Are you planning on trying the fruit? 

Yes, we’re excited to try the fruit. Most of what we plant is edible, or to draw in pollinators. When we first moved in, we almost got rid of the cactus. It was kind of boring and not our thing. We decided to give it 6 months. Lol The weekend we were going to toss it, it suddenly started blooming! So it saved itself. The fruit is new and unexpected. Definitely a keeper now. 

• Like 6

It’s 84 here and sunny. I spent the morning gently pulling volunteer tomato seedlings from last year’s pots where the last of the tomatoes fell (so I just jammed them into the soil 🤣) and repotting them. I have 20+ small tomato seedlings now that I didn’t intentionally plant. Don’t ask me the variety though. I failed to retain that info in my brain. The ones I started a few months ago are over a foot tall and flowering. I didn’t mark those either since I ran out of markers. I thought for sure I would remember which was which. Nope.  I also saw some pea pods and peppers already. All my overwintered peppers survived and most are flowering. I had never tried to overwinter a pepper plant before; surprised me that they all made it. My Seminole pumpkins haven’t died yet. They actually seem happy. I tried mounting this year and digging bigger holes. I have some plants I started from seed that I was like, hmm, what was that? Those ended up being dill and orange cosmos. Excited for both. Bees are coming back to my yard. They all kind of disappeared after the last hurricane/storm came through the area. 

Some new things I’m trying this year: shallots, garlic, coneflowers, and cilantro. 

• Like 5

Today bottled (canned) 2 baskets of peaches, one of pears, made 1 basket of apples into apllesauce for freezing,  2 huge baskets of tomatoes and one small basket of capsicums with a big bunch of onions, some zuccini and some garlic boiling down right at this minute to be bottled for pasta sauce, trying making peach cordial out of the peach peelings. 

I am hot, and worn out. Hot because I use a wood combustion stove for all my cooking. 

Invited Dd to come down and take the rest of the ripe apples. She has some fancy juicer that takes whole apples. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Busy garden day considering it is officially too early to do anything. I planted some dormant decorative grass and spread flower seeds today. It is still technically too early but I am going to trust that nature knows not to sprout yet. 

I also sprayed everything with cayenne water. I don't know if will detour squirrels and rabbits or not. Probably not. I am pretty sure I saw a squirrel laughing at me as I was spraying.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Today bottled (canned) 2 baskets of peaches, one of pears, made 1 basket of apples into apllesauce for freezing,  2 huge baskets of tomatoes and one small basket of capsicums with a big bunch of onions, some zuccini and some garlic boiling down right at this minute to be bottled for pasta sauce, trying making peach cordial out of the peach peelings. 

I am hot, and worn out. Hot because I use a wood combustion stove for all my cooking. 

Invited Dd to come down and take the rest of the ripe apples. She has some fancy juicer that takes whole apples. 

I am so impressed! You go girl!

I have thought about canning over wood stove outdoors. It would keep the heat outside and lower our electricity use, but I haven't found the right stove. We have a maple tree that needs to come down. It is dying, and the branches are cracking, huge branches. It cannot simply be trimmed anymore. It will make a ton nice amount of firewood as it is over 100 ft tall. But, I have not been able to find a stove anywhere.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SHP said:

Busy garden day considering it is officially too early to do anything. I planted some dormant decorative grass and spread flower seeds today. It is still technically too early but I am going to trust that nature knows not to sprout yet. 

I also sprayed everything with cayenne water. I don't know if will detour squirrels and rabbits or not. Probably not. I am pretty sure I saw a squirrel laughing at me as I was spraying.

That Disney movie, Over the Hedge, was not wrong about squirrels, raccoons, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:44 PM, ikslo said:

I would be giddy, too!

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 12:26 PM, ikslo said:

It’s 84 here and sunny. I spent the morning gently pulling volunteer tomato seedlings from last year’s pots where the last of the tomatoes fell (so I just jammed them into the soil 🤣) and repotting them. I have 20+ small tomato seedlings now that I didn’t intentionally plant. Don’t ask me the variety though. I failed to retain that info in my brain. The ones I started a few months ago are over a foot tall and flowering. I didn’t mark those either since I ran out of markers. I thought for sure I would remember which was which. Nope.  I also saw some pea pods and peppers already. All my overwintered peppers survived and most are flowering. I had never tried to overwinter a pepper plant before; surprised me that they all made it. My Seminole pumpkins haven’t died yet. They actually seem happy. I tried mounting this year and digging bigger holes. I have some plants I started from seed that I was like, hmm, what was that? Those ended up being dill and orange cosmos. Excited for both. Bees are coming back to my yard. They all kind of disappeared after the last hurricane/storm came through the area. 

Some new things I’m trying this year: shallots, garlic, coneflowers, and cilantro. 

Which region do you live in?

8 hours ago, SHP said:

How do you make your cayenne water?  I have had success sprinkling cayenne directly on plants, but you have to be careful not to put it on too thickly -- sometimes I get a small amount of leaf damage if I'm not careful.  I call cayenne the fairy dust of the garden! 🤣

49 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

That Disney movie, Over the Hedge, was not wrong about squirrels, raccoons, etc.

I put out a dozen or so lettuce plants in my big barrel, and we covered the top with some fencing to protect it from the squirrels.  Well, they reached their nasty little paws inside and managed to dig up a plant and made some holes, too.  I want to post a sign, "No, there are no nuts buried in this barrel!"

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I am so impressed! You go girl!

I have thought about canning over wood stove outdoors. It would keep the heat outside and lower our electricity use, but I haven't found the right stove. We have a maple tree that needs to come down. It is dying, and the branches are cracking, huge branches. It cannot simply be trimmed anymore. It will make a ton nice amount of firewood as it is over 100 ft tall. But, I have not been able to find a stove anywhere.

I set up an outdoor kitchen during canning season.  I use a propane high output burner.  It keeps the house from heating up.  I love it.  I did invest in an electric digital pressure canner this year to add to my canning supplies.  Great investment and it really didn’t affect my electric bill.    There is a person I know who found a wood burning laundry stove ( it looks like a basic wood burning stove but very basic) for her canning kitchen.  So far that 25 dollar investment has paid for itself over and over .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Serenade said:

I put out a dozen or so lettuce plants in my big barrel, and we covered the top with some fencing to protect it from the squirrels.  Well, they reached their nasty little paws inside and managed to dig up a plant and made some holes, too.  I want to post a sign, "No, there are no nuts buried in this barrel!"

The cayenne pepper did nothing but I grew those tiny peppers this year for fall.  The ones that are supposedly decorative but you can eat a lot of the varieties of you can handle the heat.  So hot that one squirrel ate it and I never had anything they were up against touched the rest of fall. These are now a permanent growing plant here. 

• Like 1

I built (well, assembled, really) two more small raised beds a few weeks ago. I think I tweaked a muscle in my back doing that, and it hasn't quite healed. 

I planted my seeds indoors a week ago! They are already popping up in the cups near the bathroom window. I have three kinds of tomatoes, various peppers, marigolds, and I'm trying to grow lavendar but it may not work out.

What's wrong with Baker's Creek? Did I miss the bad news?  I hope not. Their seeds sprout so reliably. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, El... said:

I think I tweaked a muscle in my back doing that, and it hasn't quite healed.

Oh, no! I hope you get some relief and it heals before spring.

3 hours ago, El... said:

What's wrong with Baker's Creek? Did I miss the bad news?  I hope not. Their seeds sprout so reliably. 

I was wondering, too!

10 hours ago, Serenade said:

How do you make your cayenne water?  I have had success sprinkling cayenne directly on plants, but you have to be careful not to put it on too thickly -- sometimes I get a small amount of leaf damage if I'm not careful.  I call cayenne the fairy dust of the garden! 🤣

Took a container of cayenne and poured it into a gallon pump spray container and filled with water and let sit overnight. 

They didn't seem deterred when I just sprinkled it around everything. This seemed to help. 

• Like 2

I need someone to talk about herbs to me like I am 3. I don't know why, but I seem to have a block. I know all mint goes into a container or it will take over, beyond that? Over my head. 

I am zone 6 that wants to be 7. It is very common to overwinter plants that are only hardy to zone 7 without issue.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SHP said:

I need someone to talk about herbs to me like I am 3. I don't know why, but I seem to have a block. I know all mint goes into a container or it will take over, beyond that? Over my head. 

I am zone 6 that wants to be 7. It is very common to overwinter plants that are only hardy to zone 7 without issue.

All my herbs grow in containers as I prefer that.   My rosemary, sage and thyme have thrived over the years like this ( rip my plants). The only herbs I bring into my greenhouse is certain mints, basil, and few specialty ones.  My zone is 7a or used to be 6b in most maps. It really fluctuates between both IMO.  

What kind of herbs are you looking to grow?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

What kind of herbs are you looking to grow?  

Here is the list my husband gave me. There are some that we use more than one type of.

Basil

Sage

Thyme

Cilantro 

Marjoram

Oregano

Bay leaf

Fennel

Cumin

Cardamon 

Ginger

Parsley

• Like 2

14 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

The cayenne pepper did nothing but I grew those tiny peppers this year for fall.  The ones that are supposedly decorative but you can eat a lot of the varieties of you can handle the heat.  So hot that one squirrel ate it and I never had anything they were up against touched the rest of fall. These are now a permanent growing plant here. 

😁

On 3/5/2023 at 10:14 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I think I need to make a field trip to your house. Do you do demonstrations? Tours?

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:09 AM, TechWife said:

You have all been very productive! I’ve not been able to do much. Last week I went out and started pruning to get ready for spring. Our weather has been so chaotic that many plants that should still be dormant are starting to leaf. I still need to finish pruning my roses, I am about halfway done but am stretched for time and have had some health delays. Last year they developed a fungus so I need to aggressively thin them this year. I’ve also not gotten to my crepe myrtle yet. 

We were into the 75-80 degree F range several days in February, which is extremely unusual. There were only a few weeks of winter temperatures the entire season. 

I’m puzzled about what to do with bulbs. On a whim I purchased a bulb mix last fall - daffodils and tulips. They have been tucked in my fridge all winter. I should have planted them last month, according to the directions, but couldn’t figure out where & when. We have a very small urban yard & I’m  thinking of finding a large pot and putting them on the front porch, but I haven’t figured out exactly where yet. In addition to these bulbs, last year I had some Cala Lillie’s in planters on the front porch and they did very well - the planters are in a prominent place on the porch & they were “oohed and aahhed” over. I didn’t dig out the bulbs because I figured they would get cold enough not being in the ground. But then the temperature didn’t cooperate with me. I’m not sure if I should leave them there to see what happens or go ahead and relocate them so that I can be sure the planters look really nice again. The planters are each three feet long and I have four of them, each one sitting between the posts that hold the balcony above up. 

I think my porch planting might migrate to the balcony, but it will require discipline because I don’t go out there often in the heat of the summer. I also need to be careful of what I put out there because our cats like to be out there to see what’s happening in the neighborhood.

I have two of the composite urn planters on either side of the front door. We get some wind bursts sometimes and I’ve  had to replace one of them because it blew over & broke. Another one has a crack in it & needs to be replaced. I’m thinking of getting some heavier weight planters for that location instead, but I haven’t yet seen anything heavy weight a good shape & color yet. I’ll keep looking. I’m thinking of putting some limelight hydrangeas there. I have two in the side yard. There’s also space in one of the front beds for one. I’m wondering if this could be too much of a good thing, though. What do you all think? How much is too much on a small footprint? 

Your composite planters cracked and broke? That's discouraging! I have two large clay planters that are disintegrating on me. They are probably 8 years old. I have some resin composite type planters on my front porch, and they are still going strong. No problems with them yet. And they are so lightweight. That's a bonus.

I don't think adding some hydrangeas would be too much. I think the only thing that is "too much" on a small footprint is when stuff gets overgrown.  Hydrangeas don't get very tall do they? That's something I've never grown. And I love them.

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Most herbs can be grown in pots

Basil and parsley need to be resown each year

Chives die down and reshoot each spring

Most others keep growing for years

I cannot figure out what size pots for each. I am finding different answers. I am looking at doing a vertical garden. Our deck rails are metal rods and horizontal so I was looking at planters like the ones below and hanging them to make a vertical wall garden. I just have no clue what sizes I need and if these are enough or not

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B099ZL7PLP/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A1PH8FSF9GVHB4&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09N8WHV4K/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A33EV7QA0K2BF6&psc=1

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, popmom said:

Your composite planters cracked and broke? That's discouraging! I have two large clay planters that are disintegrating on me. They are probably 8 years old. I have some resin composite type planters on my front porch, and they are still going strong. No problems with them yet. And they are so lightweight. That's a bonus.

I don't think adding some hydrangeas would be too much. I think the only thing that is "too much" on a small footprint is when stuff gets overgrown.  Hydrangeas don't get very tall do they? That's something I've never grown. And I love them.

Some stay small. Some will eat your house. What stays small for me could be massive for you. Tags lie. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I may try this

@Faith-manor  Have you ever had raised beds? Sorry if you mentioned this and I missed it. I missed this thread and read quickly to try to catch up. You're going to LOVE raised beds. We have been raised bed gardening for many years and the work is a tiny percent of regular beds. Weeding is easy peasy. ❤️ 

IMG_0853.thumb.jpeg.7ab53d386ae95279146eb8dbb5ebde56.jpeg

I organized my seeds a little different this year and I'm really loving the ease. I used these on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5YDBZR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They are about the size of tic tac containers. The whole case is pretty small and then I can pop the whole thing into my mini fridge that is in my potting shed. 

The important thing is to color code and keep a thorough lists. Each row in my case is a different color and I simply number with the right color which then coordinates with my list. I keep it tucked in the case but also I took a pic of them all so I wouldn't lose them. 

IMG_0795.thumb.jpeg.2e172a3e8185a354c77849f992295cff.jpeg

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

IMG_0853.thumb.jpeg.7ab53d386ae95279146eb8dbb5ebde56.jpeg

I organized my seeds a little different this year and I'm really loving the ease. I used these on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P5YDBZR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They are about the size of tic tac containers. The whole case is pretty small and then I can pop the whole thing into my mini fridge that is in my potting shed. 

The important thing is to color code and keep a thorough lists. Each row in my case is a different color and I simply number with the right color which then coordinates with my list. I keep it tucked in the case but also I took a pic of them all so I wouldn't lose them. 

IMG_0795.thumb.jpeg.2e172a3e8185a354c77849f992295cff.jpeg

This so completely puts my repurposed styrofoam cooler storage filled with opened seed packets and fold-over sandwich bags to shame!! 😂

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

This so completely puts my repurposed styrofoam cooler storage filled with opened seed packets and fold-over sandwich bags to shame!! 😂

I was just losing my mind with various seed packets. This is a bazillion times easier. I mean it. Not having to get packets to stick back or fumble for tape or look though a pile of them for something specific. 

• Like 2