Menu

Need to up my beauty game-- hair, foundation

Shelydon

I need to find a better shampoo/conditioner and hair shine/gloss products. Have been using drugstore products for 30 years, but now in my 50s I need to switch up to something that works better on color treated hair. 

My skin care is good (Agency), but my foundation no longer seems to work for me and look streaky and cakey. And I cannot find a concealer that actually covers my dark circles. I'm currently using Tarte Shape Tape and L'ancome. 

Any suggestions for 50+ hair and face?

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I recently started using Bare Minerals complexion rescue and I love it. It looks so natural and like I'm not wearing any at all. It smooths away all those odd imperfections that start to appear with age and it does a pretty good job with dark circles.

Thank you! I'll check it out 

• Like 1

I got the recommendation for concealer on here and love it- bye bye under eye by IT Cosmetics. I just that on my trouble spots, no foundation. It's pricy (for me) but a little goes a long way and I watch for sales and coupons.

Edited by Soror

If you go to a salon, ask for a gloss treatment on your hair. If you color your hair yourself, there are some at home options — some have color or you can choose clear for shine only.

My hair tends to thin (grrrrr), so I use Nioxin hair products. However, DH and DS both prefer Nioxin as well — it does a good job with removing any dulling residue from other shampoos and conditioners. DS’s hair is noticeably better with Nioxin. You can buy it in a salon, but I’ve found the least expensive option is to order from Walmart. I use the deep repair mask, too.

2 hours ago, Soror said:

I got the recommendation for concealer on here and love it- bye bye under eye by IT Cosmetics. I just that on my trouble spots, no foundation. It's pricy (for me) but a little goes a long way and I watch for sales and coupons.

I'll take a look when I go to Ulta

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

If you go to a salon, ask for a gloss treatment on your hair. If you color your hair yourself, there are some at home options — some have color or you can choose clear for shine only.

My hair tends to thin (grrrrr), so I use Nioxin hair products. However, DH and DS both prefer Nioxin as well — it does a good job with removing any dulling residue from other shampoos and conditioners. DS’s hair is noticeably better with Nioxin. You can buy it in a salon, but I’ve found the least expensive option is to order from Walmart. I use the deep repair mask, too.

I have super thick hair, but one of my daughters uses Nioxin. I can give it a try

Re: dark circles: I never had them, until I did when I was 56. Nothing I tried help. After being so frustrated, out of curiosity I put a swipe of white zinc oxide on the circles.

The zinc couldn't cover them either. That's when I knew that I'd have to do something serious w/ a dermo.

I'm not ready to go to the dermo, so these days I try to make them a little less "loud" with a good base, a good concealer (tape, but in mat not creamy) and I sometimes pat on the yellow color corrector

Hopefully your circles aren't as annoying as mine.

8 hours ago, Shelydon said:

I need to find a better shampoo/conditioner and hair shine/gloss products. Have been using drugstore products for 30 years, but now in my 50s I need to switch up to something that works better on color treated hair. 

My skin care is good (Agency), but my foundation no longer seems to work for me and look streaky and cakey. And I cannot find a concealer that actually covers my dark circles. I'm currently using Tarte Shape Tape and L'ancome. 

Any suggestions for 50+ hair and face?

I just bought some Lancôme foundation today. My old bottle was from before the pandemic and I’ve been living in BB cream for two years. 

For the dark circles, have you tried color correcting? For my skin tone I use a pinkish-peachish makeup to correct for bluish circles. It takes the tiniest bit and makes a difference. Then on top of that I use a little bit of concealer just to brighten. Even with two products, the amount on my face is much less because the peach stuff cancels the darkness quite a bit. 

If your circles are more purple, I think you need a yellow corrector. Just try to think what color your circles are and go across the color wheel to correct. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

I recently started using Bare Minerals and love it. 
I used redkin hair products for 20 years but now want to go to more natural. I am still struggling to find anything I really like. I have super thick hair that knots easily. 

Try Not Your Mother’s.  Great shampoo and conditioner. My hair is very thick and can get a knot so quick, no issues with this brand.  

I also recommend 100% Camellia Oil for your hair.  It is a Japanese oil that a little goes a long way.   

9 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I added a primer to my routine last year- at 52 and it made a big difference in how all my makeup works. Switched to cream blush too. 
This is the primer I use from Amazon. It’s like $7. 658C1AB6-64EF-414E-B13F-EE1285B265B9.thumb.png.240215f4c698a4e960c5b51d1caf5330.png

Agree with a primer. My favorite is smashbox. It’s not cheap but you might be able to find a sample/travel size to see if you like it. 

I love Lancôme foundation. One thing I’ve noticed though, is that the lighter shade I use in winter months has a bit different texture than the one I use in warmer seasons when I’m naturally getting more sun. 

I have seen ads for Il Makiage and am curious if it lives up to the hype. 

I used to use bare minerals pro powder - and still will for quick coverage - but as I’ve gotten older it doesn’t appear as youthful on my skin - it can be a little powdery around fine lines. 

If you don’t use a setting spray, maybe add that, especially if you use mineral powder foundation or finish with a translucent powder. I find it makes a noticeable difference. 

No dark circles so sorry nothing to recommend there. As for hair, I jump all over the place but do like using spray designed for blow-outs and I’ll occasionally rub some leave-in conditioner into the hair tips to make them behave. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2023 at 10:28 PM, Grace Hopper said:

If you don’t use a setting spray, maybe add that, especially if you use mineral powder foundation or finish with a translucent powder. I find it makes a noticeable difference. 

I know this thread is old, but I'm learning about make up right now and want to buy setting spray.  Do you have a recommendation?  Maybe I should start a new thread.  I don't want to spend a lot.  I rarely wear make-up, but ds is getting married soon so I'm trying to figure out my face. 

ETA - I'm going to start a new thread.  Sorry for dragging up the old one! 

Edited by Kassia

25 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I know this thread is old, but I'm learning about make up right now and want to buy setting spray.  Do you have a recommendation?  Maybe I should start a new thread.  I don't want to spend a lot.  I rarely wear make-up, but ds is getting married soon so I'm trying to figure out my face. 

ETA - I'm going to start a new thread.  Sorry for dragging up the old one! 

Setting sprays really vary in price! One of my girls swears by one by Bobby Brown, but I buy inexpensive elf brand and it works fine for me. I think a small container is under $5.

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I wonder, @Kassia, if you might find it easier and helpful just to have a makeup artist do your makeup the day of the wedding. It’s quite affordable, especially as they provide most/all the products.

Agree. Just be sure to tell them how much color you want - more natural or a little more glam. They will use products and techniques that will help you show up better in pics. 

• Thanks 1