Menu

What is meant by the left side of the bed?

Amethyst

9 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

But when you walk in the room, or someone else’s room, or a character in a book walks in a room, the pillow has nothing to do with it. I’m sticking with footboard perspective. 

LOL, honestly I never talk or think about a 'side of the bed' unless I'm the one sleeping in it.  Why is a character in a book talking about a side of a bed if they're not talking about being in it?  What are y'all doing with your beds that this is an issue that comes up while not sleeping in one? 😂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, honestly I never talk or think about a 'side of the bed' unless I'm the one sleeping in it.  Why is a character in a book talking about a side of a bed if they're not talking about being in it?  What are y'all doing with your beds that this is an issue that comes up while not sleeping in one? 😂

In the book, the character’s husband is away at war. She walks in the room, looks at the bed, and goes to “the left side of the bed. Funny that even with him away she still slept on the left side.”  (Not exact quote) So, she wasn’t IN the bed when the narrator describes it. Which got me thinking. Clearly to me, when I walk into my own room, I’m at the foot of the bed, so the left side is on the left. Maybe if my bed was not placed where it is, I would feel differently (although I don’t think so). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

In the book, the character’s husband is away at war. She walks in the room, looks at the bed, and goes to “the left side of the bed. Funny that even with him away she still slept on the left side.”  (Not exact quote) So, she wasn’t IN the bed when the narrator describes it. Which got me thinking. Clearly to me, when I walk into my own room, I’m at the foot of the bed, so the left side is on the left. Maybe if my bed was not placed where it is, I would feel differently (although I don’t think so). 

Lol, maybe that's part of it. When I walk into our bedroom,  I'm at the head of the bed, not the foot, so same orientation as when I'm in it. 

When standing at the foot of the bead, looking in the direction of the headboard, it is the side that is to your left. Full disclosure, we call them “your side” or “my side” according to who is speaking.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ha, this is funny!  Maybe there's no right answer.  I'd describe it by lying in the bed on my back and looking up.  I always sleep on the right side and my dh on the left side, because he is left handed.  I mean, that's how you'd describe it standing in a line two by two, wouldn't you?  You wouldn't say "those of you on the left" from the point of view of a person in front of the line looking back at everyone else, but from the point of view of the people actually standing in line.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Ha, this is funny!  Maybe there's no right answer.  I'd describe it by lying in the bed on my back and looking up.  I always sleep on the right side and my dh on the left side, because he is left handed.  I mean, that's how you'd describe it standing in a line two by two, wouldn't you?  You wouldn't say "those of you on the left" from the point of view of a person in front of the line looking back at everyone else, but from the point of view of the people actually standing in line.  

Oh my. This confuses me. Cuz when I’m standing in line, I’m standing up. So that makes me think the equivalent to the bed discussion would be standing up. Nobody standing in line is on their back. So I feel this argues more for the other perspective. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Oh my. This confuses me. Cuz when I’m standing in line, I’m standing up. So that makes me think the equivalent to the bed discussion would be standing up. Nobody standing in line is on their back. So I feel this argues more for the other perspective. 

Uh, left and right don't change standing up vs lying down?  I can stand on any side of the bed, and for me, it's pretty much never facing the headboard,  but the same direction as when I'm in it...

So, do you think people in the US have the driver's seat on the right or left? I'd say left, because that's my perspective when I'm sitting in the car. Would you think it's the right because that's where the driver sits as you face the car??

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Uh, left and right don't change standing up va lying down?  I can stand on any side of the bed, and for me, it's pretty much never facing the headboard,  but the same direction as when I'm in it...

So, do you think people in the US have the driver's seat on the right or left? I'd say left, because that's my perspective when I'm sitting in the car. Would you think it's the right because that's where the driver sits as you face the car??

No, the driver is on the left. Cuz as I’m facing forwards, that’s the left. When I walk in my bedroom, I’m facing my bed. So, the side on my left, as I’m facing forward, is the left side. Makes perfect sense to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Dh thinks it’s the other way. So I guess we BOTH sleep on the left side. He thinks I sleep on the left side, and I think HE sleeps on the left side! Lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

No, the driver is on the left. Cuz as I’m facing forwards, that’s the left. When I walk in my bedroom, I’m facing my bed. So, the side on my left, as I’m facing forward, is the left side. Makes perfect sense to me. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Facing forward, as you're in the car.  Like when you're in the bed.  If you walk into the garage (as the bedroom) you could well be facing the front of the car, so by your argument, the driver is then on the right.  😉

In my bedroom, as I walk in, the side I sleep on is the left from both perspectives (when I'm in the bed, and coming into the room).... so it's only your bedroom setup that is making you think that way?  In the room, or the garage, when you're not in/using the article being discussed, you could be on any side depending on the layout of the room and where the door is...  considering the perspective from the operator's point of view (driver or sleeper) just makes more sense! 😁

Dh thinks it’s the other way. So I guess we BOTH sleep on the left side. He thinks I sleep on the left side, and I think HE sleeps on the left side! Lol

Well, you know who I agree with... 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

so it's only your bedroom setup that is making you think that way?  

I don’t think so. I think when someone says to me, picture your bed. Create a visual image of your bed. It has a nice quilt on it. The pillows have been fluffed, someone made  the bed for you, how sweet! Granny’s quilt looks so lovely, I think I’ll snap a picture and send it to her. 

Where do you stand to take the picture? At the foot of the bed, right?

51 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Almost every bedroom I have been has been set up like Amethysts.   It's very rare to enter a room headboard first.

I'm such a weirdo. 🤣

My bedroom has windows on the wall opposite the door. As well as the one to the right. ... the only wall the bed can be up against is the one to the right of the door.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amethyst said:

But when you walk in the room, or someone else’s room, or a character in a book walks in a room, the pillow has nothing to do with it. I’m sticking with footboard perspective. 

I’m afraid to ask what side of the road you drive on or where you think stage right is located. 

😱

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, YaelAldrich said:

This is going to be the newest kerfuffle! Much like the cupcake wars and the shipping carts of old! 

When I read your reply yesterday I thought, "Nah, those were classics. We don't have those days anymore". Thankfully this thread is proving me wrong lol. 

Oh, and don't forget shoes/no shoes in the house! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

driver's side is left side of car (perspective of riding in car).

Because the car doors are hinged at the front of the car, and perhaps because I back in to my garage, I would have said the left side of the car is on the left when standing at the back of the car. If I recline the seat all the way it is like I'm lying in bed with my feet pointing toward the headboard.

I have the same problem when it comes to sides of a car, or directions to turn a screw - right and left make no sense as it's a matter of perspective. Driver/passenger side & counter/clockwise work best for me, because I can never remember which is which, but those don't work for beds. Therefore I'd have to say the left side of the bed is the side left over after I've gotten into it.

Edited by Amy in NH

After reading the replies, I have formed an opinion and have come to the conclusion that the perspective is from when one is using the bed lying on one's back, the same as when one is the driver in a car. Therefore, the left side of the bed is also the wrong side of the bed. 😂 

Next question: toilet paper, over or under?

• Like 1