Menu

Limited time Fast food favorites that suck you in

Ottakee

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I have no idea what pretzel pizza or nacho fries are.

I'm guessing nacho fries substitutes fries in instead of corn chips? But pretzel pizza? No idea 😄

Never heard of McRibs, but that seems reasonably self-explanatory. 

Maccas here has apple pies, but I haven't heard of holiday pies.

I used to like Hungry Jack's onion rings, back when they were crumbed. They were yummy.

Pretzel pizza from Little Ceasars is on a crust that is similar to a soft pretzel, esp the edges.  It is brown and has the salt like a pretzel.  Then instead of a tomato based sauce it has a cheese sauce (like what you would dip a soft pretzel into.  Then topped with mozzarella and pepperoni and it is all kinda of good…..likely horrible for you, but delicious.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, popmom said:

ETA: I don’t think I’m alone in this since McD’s is mostly a drink stop for me—-I could start a whole new thread just on straws. Like I’m serious about straws. They greatly affect my enjoyment of my iced tea or whatever. McDonald’s has a quality straw. Not too fat. Not too skinny. Long enough but not too long. Doesn’t bend and get cracks easily (which allows air in and completely ruins the experience). Not a food snob but definitely a straw snob. IYKYK 😉

And we could discuss which places have the Good Ice. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, kbutton said:

Oh, gosh! Me too! BTDT more than once. 

I can't eat much fast food with my intolerances, but when I find certain items I can have at a store...I have to work hard to not make them an entitlement. Trader Joe's has some really good GF chocolate muffins right now. They used to have a flourless chocolate something...kind of cake, kind of brownie. A local swanky grocery store has all.the.things.--fancy chef-made deli items, baked goods, etc. They have flourless chocolate cookies and brownies. So good.

Aldi sometimes has frozen GF donuts (I wasn't even all that big of a donut fan before going GF, lol!), and I just have to walk away when they have their GF cheesecake tray once a year or so. Lately they've had some kind of frozen chocolate fudge bars on and off, and they had some that were mint hot chocolate...so good!

Oh, I love Penn Station fries! I forgot about those--we don't have one that's easy to get into and out of, so I am a little safer, lol! Finding GF fries is hard. If we lived near In and Out Burger, fries and a burger with a lettuce wrap would be my vice.

Being gluten free means missing out on 99% of the Limited Time foods but Aldi...I bought 4 boxes of the donuts and have been stingy with them. I didn't like the Aldi gf cheesecake so that wasn't a big deal for me. I have never seen the chocolate fudge bars but will keep an eye out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Being gluten free means missing out on 99% of the Limited Time foods but Aldi...I bought 4 boxes of the donuts and have been stingy with them. I didn't like the Aldi gf cheesecake so that wasn't a big deal for me. I have never seen the chocolate fudge bars but will keep an eye out.

I have never been able to catch the GF donuts at Aldi, but they look like Katz Bakery donuts — so good! I love, love, love the gingerbread and pumpkin donuts. We just order direct from Katz — they run periodic sales. Their mini pies are good, too. 

I don’t have many restaurant options, but once a year or so I need to hit Elevation Burger for a lettuce wrapped cheeseburger. The fries, alas, are not GF.

On 11/24/2022 at 6:50 AM, AmandaVT said:

Panera's autumn squash soup....mmmmm.

We made a copy-cat recipe. Yummy.  We did make a few modifications - used chicken broth + apple cider substituted for the 3.5 cups vegetable broth. 

There was extra, so we froze it to see if it is still as good the second time around.

https://asimplepalate.com/blog/slow-cooker-autumn-squash-soup/

Edited by Bambam

On 11/26/2022 at 12:05 AM, popmom said:

Yes! Also, I think everyone here has a good grasp on what a healthy diet looks like. I consider myself a foodie, but I’m definitely not a food snob. I have a deep appreciation for all kinds of foods lol. I hate that I feel like I have to make some sort of disclaimer that I actually mostly cook from scratch and I’m not eating Big Macs everyday. 😂

ETA: I don’t think I’m alone in this since McD’s is mostly a drink stop for me—-I could start a whole new thread just on straws. Like I’m serious about straws. They greatly affect my enjoyment of my iced tea or whatever. McDonald’s has a quality straw. Not too fat. Not too skinny. Long enough but not too long. Doesn’t bend and get cracks easily (which allows air in and completely ruins the experience). Not a food snob but definitely a straw snob. IYKYK 😉

Reminds me of when we were (somewhat naughty) children.

We used to take the long and lightweight bags that covered freshly dry-cleaned clothing--carefully inspecting them for any tears or holes (which would be patched with scotch tape)--and then at the bottom we'd create a square frame and a diagonal pair of crosses out of straws.

The frame was made to the opening dimensions of the bag and was affixed with scotch tape.

Then dozens little slits were made in the cross of plastic straws into which were fixed birthday candles.

After dark, we would carefully begin to light the candles--making sure not to let the flames melt the bag (an ever present risk).

Eventually the bag would fully inflate with hot air and we'd release it. A spectacular sight in the night sky. At first I'm sure people may have thought it was a UFO, and eventually they would climb so high that they looked like a distant star.

The only straws we would use? McDonalds. Accept no substitutes.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Reminds me of when we were (somewhat naughty) children.

We used to take the long and lightweight bags that covered freshly dry-cleaned clothing--carefully inspecting them for any tears or holes (which would be patched with scotch tape)--and then at the bottom we'd create a square frame and a diagonal pair of crosses out of straws.

The frame was made to the opening dimensions of the bag and was affixed with scotch tape.

Then dozens little slits were made in the cross of plastic straws into which were fixed birthday candles.

After dark, we would carefully begin to light the candles--making sure not to let the flames melt the bag (an ever present risk).

Eventually the bag would fully inflate with hot air and we'd release it. A spectacular sight in the night sky. At first I'm sure people may have thought it was a UFO, and eventually they would climb so high that they looked like a distant star.

The only straws we would use? McDonalds. Accept no substitutes.

Bill

Oh gosh. Many a contraption like this was made with my dad. Good times💕

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 5:40 AM, Pawz4me said:

And we could discuss which places have the Good Ice. 😉 

Oh yeah. This is the kicker for me. I don’t do fast food very often but I do like to stop for a brewed iced tea and quality ice is high on my list. FWIW @popmomI carry my own straws. 😂

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 7:41 AM, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Yep, I'm sitting here reading this thread and feeling extremely sorry for my little vegan/gluten-free self because I can't eat pretty much any of the items mentioned. 

My wallowing in self-pity likely has something to do, also, with the fact that I am hungry and nothing I can actually eat sounds appealing.

And I have my major paper for one of my classes due this weekend, have barely started it and just. don't. wanna.

Edited to add: Please, this was totally about the aforementioned wallowing and was not intended to spoil the general fun in any way! I can't participate, but it's not stopping me from reading and living vicariously.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Yep, I'm sitting here reading this thread and feeling extremely sorry for my little vegan/gluten-free self because I can't eat pretty much any of the items mentioned. 

My wallowing in self-pity likely has something to do, also, with the fact that I am hungry and nothing I can actually eat sounds appealing.

And I have my major paper for one of my classes due this weekend, have barely started it and just. don't. wanna.

Edited to add: Please, this was totally about the aforementioned wallowing and was not intended to spoil the general fun in any way! I can't participate, but it's not stopping me from reading and living vicariously.

I’ll wallow in pity with you. For me, add in caffeine sensitivity. That means no coffee, chocolate, or green tea. I dearly love those. No nacho fries or holiday pies. I’ll share a piece of Daiya Cheezecake with you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Spy Carso what happened to it when it floated off? The candles must have burned for awhile. 

Up, up, up into the sky.

At low altitude (and they rise quickly) they make for a surreal "fire in the sky."

Quite spectacular really. Beyond what one might imagine.

At some point they get so high that one loses them among the stars. They do rise for quite some time.

Bill

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I hear you. These ungrateful gluten eaters have no self-control and like to brag.🙃

• Haha 4