Menu

RV's - what to look for in a small RV for traveling. Need do's and don'ts and recommendations.

sheryl

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Campground pricing can vary a lot. Full hook up costs more than just water/electric. State parks tend to be very reasonable but getting reservations can be extremely difficult due to demand. Campground sites in many of the national parks can also of course be extremely difficult to reserve due to overwhelming demand. Some private campgrounds are very resort-like with all sorts of amenities (pools, putt putt, activity directors, snack bars/restaurants, etc.) and others are very bare bones. Just like hotels--location matters a LOT. Campgrounds close to big cities or tourist areas cost more than a campground along an interstate in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks Pawz for this.  I'm LOL at myself now b/c I see double beds!  That will not work as I'm a sprawler.   Although I don't have to be but a double is not going to work.  Oh, I dunno.  It looks like there was an RV show last month and one coming up in Jan.  That was a quick glance.  I'll ask locally to confirm.  On one of the Canista's or however you spell it I swear it looked like the bed did not have middle support.  I surely looked at it wrong.  I weigh more than 5 lbs and dh and I can not fit on a twin.  We'd sink to the floor.

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Do you have a link?  Would you buy one again?  

https://www.scamptrailers.com/

We would absolutely buy one again. You can only buy them from the factory in northern MN. We happen to live in state, but they do offer transport options. Casita trailers, if I remember right, it was a partnership that split up which is why they are so similar. Casita is in TX, you also buy them factory direct (no show rooms). Either place has lists of "local" people willing to show their trailers off. We bought it and it was great for when the kids were little (we had a 16 foot one). We sold it when we switched vehicles and wanted to tow a boat and vacation differently. Don't regret having it or selling it as it worked for us during the season of life we were in. Hubby would have preferred that we had indoor storage for it to preserve the fiberglass better, but that was the biggest complaint. 

When we sold it the people drove from Washington State to pick it up. 

LMK if you have other questions. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Thanks Pawz for this.  I'm LOL at myself now b/c I see double beds!  That will not work as I'm a sprawler.   Although I don't have to be but a double is not going to work.  Oh, I dunno.  It looks like there was an RV show last month and one coming up in Jan.  That was a quick glance.  I'll ask locally to confirm.  On one of the Canista's or however you spell it I swear it looked like the bed did not have middle support.  I surely looked at it wrong.  I weigh more than 5 lbs and dh and I can not fit on a twin.  We'd sink to the floor.

On Casita and Scamp, the table drops flush with the seats and that is the middle support piece. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

Thanks, Pawz, for this detailed description as well.  I'm not certain DH is as familiar as I thought he might be re: trailers/motorhomes.   DH and I will need to study up to determine if this is the route to go.  But, I don't see a way around it.  We want to travel and see the country.  Flying here and there will be expensive when you also factor in hotels.  Still, for all of you....is it more economical.  Not talking a trade off aka "wash" but -

Traveling across country
1.  Airline tickets, hotels, food/restaurants
2.  Gasoline and all associated costs of operating and maintaining trailer along with insurance, food prepared in trailer kitchen, NO HOTELS

I appreciate this info.   Will reread and make keep a printed copy of these replies for reference!

We have had several vacations to fly, with our tent and camping stove and rent a car. It’s the happy medium that works for us. Sometimes there’s 1 hotel night near the airport depending on flight times. Camping in Maui was crazy cheap, dh had a work event so his flight was provided. We extended several nights after his hotel room ended. We have flown and camped in Canadian Rockies, CA, AZ, CO, UT, and ME.

• Thanks 1

My best advice is just to look, look, look at RV shows and on RV lots and see what you like and don't like. And see if you can rent one for a weekend even if it's just to stay in locally to help you decide what your non-negotiables are. Then if you decide on a brand you like or a type you like, find an online forum where you can ask questions specific to that brand or type. RV people seem to really be nice about answering questions.

That's all the advice I have for now because we are complete newbies with this. Newbie as in we bought an 18 year old Scamp trailer yesterday. It's in great shape for being 18 years old but has a little fixing up to make it how we want it. We've visited RV shows for fun for years and visited new and used lots. We were looking at Scamps online and I joined a Facebook group for Scamps but I had never seen one in real life until yesterday.

So look and ask questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LifeLovePassion said:

https://www.scamptrailers.com/

We would absolutely buy one again. You can only buy them from the factory in northern MN. We happen to live in state, but they do offer transport options. Casita trailers, if I remember right, it was a partnership that split up which is why they are so similar. Casita is in TX, you also buy them factory direct (no show rooms). Either place has lists of "local" people willing to show their trailers off. We bought it and it was great for when the kids were little (we had a 16 foot one). We sold it when we switched vehicles and wanted to tow a boat and vacation differently. Don't regret having it or selling it as it worked for us during the season of life we were in. Hubby would have preferred that we had indoor storage for it to preserve the fiberglass better, but that was the biggest complaint. 

When we sold it the people drove from Washington State to pick it up. 

LMK if you have other questions. 

OK, that makes sense as they have a similar style.  But, what I saw had a cushion for head and cushion support for lower/legs but none for middle.  I'll see I can find a link.  I must have looked at it wrong. 

For us- setting up the table and taking down every day was a no go.  DH needs to work sometimes and will get up early to continue his project. Something to think about whether that will be a negative later for you. 

We only have one slide out that holds our dining table and couch.  I prefer that over a slide out with plumbing ( one with a kitchen in it).  

For us-  we have a low step shower as the usual shower/tub set up in the rv was not going to be ok for DH with his knee.  I really like it better than the other especially as we both age. 

I didn’t buy one with an outdoor kitchen as I wanted to set up my own with what I liked.  Something to think about especially if you prefer a certain set up. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Acorn said:

We have had several vacations to fly, with our tent and camping stove and rent a car. It’s the happy medium that works for us. Sometimes there’s 1 hotel night near the airport depending on flight times. Camping in Maui was crazy cheap, dh had a work event so his flight was provided. We extended several nights after his hotel room ended. We have flown and camped in Canadian Rockies, CA, AZ, CO, UT, and ME.

YES!  Would love to go back to Rockies and really anywhere.  Just visited ME for first time last month.  Loved it!  Yes, flying and renting a car we considered.  

4 minutes ago, CTVKath said:

My best advice is just to look, look, look at RV shows and on RV lots and see what you like and don't like. And see if you can rent one for a weekend even if it's just to stay in locally to help you decide what your non-negotiables are. Then if you decide on a brand you like or a type you like, find an online forum where you can ask questions specific to that brand or type. RV people seem to really be nice about answering questions.

That's all the advice I have for now because we are complete newbies with this. Newbie as in we bought an 18 year old Scamp trailer yesterday. It's in great shape for being 18 years old but has a little fixing up to make it how we want it. We've visited RV shows for fun for years and visited new and used lots. We were looking at Scamps online and I joined a Facebook group for Scamps but I had never seen one in real life until yesterday.

So look and ask questions. 

Aww, congrats on your newest addition! LOL!  Keep us posted.  Yes, another pp mentioned to rent and that is a good starting point along with the shows.  FB forum is an interesting idea.  Thanks! 

For traveling, many Walmarts will let you camp for free, esp if you go inside for groceries, ice, etc.   There are sites online to help you find out free or cheap places to stop for a night.   There are even people that will rent out their yard/field space for you to stay.  State forest campgrounds and other rustic sites can be very cheap or free as well….but do t have dump stations, water or electric, etc. So you might need a nicer place every few days.

when we had a camper the front queen only had access on one side and I hated that as I always had to crawl over and around to get in and out of bed.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sheryl said:

Now, I'm not computing this - so, you don't have a toilet to use nor shower to shower in?  Huh?  

Correct.  No water at all.  Our unit had a kitchen sink when we bought it, but we removed it as we don't ever camp where we have water/sewer hook ups and I do all cooking outside anyway.  By removing the sink, we opened up some additional storage space.  And there was never a bathroom of any type.  We use whatever campground facilities are available.  Sometimes that is a full bathhouse with showers and hot water and other times it is pit toilets and a water pump that we use to fill our own water jug at camp (for hand washing and cooking).  If we are boon docking, we use a shovel.  It's not for everyone....or even most people.....but is not at all uncommon so be sure to ask a lot of questions before renting if certain items are a must, like bathrooms, AC, and heat.

• Like 2

Now, I'm not computing this - so, you don't have a toilet to use nor shower to shower in?  Huh?  

Correct.  No water at all.  Our unit had a kitchen sink when we bought it, but we removed it as we don't ever camp where we have water/sewer hook ups and I do all cooking and dish washing outside anyway.  By removing the sink, we opened up some additional storage space and eliminated all need to winterize our rig or mess with water lines at all.  And there was never a bathroom of any type.  We use whatever campground facilities are available.  Sometimes that is a full bathhouse with showers and hot water and other times it is pit toilets and a water pump that we use to fill our own water jug at camp (for hand washing and cooking).  If we are boon docking, we use a shovel.  It's not for everyone....or even most people.....but is not at all uncommon so be sure to ask a lot of questions before renting if certain items are a must, like bathrooms, AC, and heat.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ottakee said:

For traveling, many Walmarts will let you camp for free, esp if you go inside for groceries, ice, etc.   There are sites online to help you find out free or cheap places to stop for a night.   There are even people that will rent out their yard/field space for you to stay.  State forest campgrounds and other rustic sites can be very cheap or free as well….but do t have dump stations, water or electric, etc. So you might need a nicer place every few days.

when we had a camper the front queen only had access on one side and I hated that as I always had to crawl over and around to get in and out of bed.

That's wonderful but we would need water and electric.  How on earth do you find a camper with a queen mattress that is not a monster to haul?  

So, is what I'm wanting unreasonable?

1 queen size bed with room to walk on either side (sheets)
kitchen: sink, refrigerator, stovetop, oven, table 
AC and heat
toilet
shower
sitting area (might only be 2 chairs "or" a loveseat)
Shiloh's space/place
what about washer/dryer (that sounds absurd but I would prefer that especially during long distance excursions)
wifi ?
tv ?
what am I missing?
need water, electricity

All of this is a not to super long trailer at an affordable price.  Am I just dreaming here?

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

That's wonderful but we would need water and electric.  How on earth do you find a camper with a queen mattress that is not a monster to haul?  

Be aware that most--probably all--"queen" beds in an RV are really what's called short queens, which is (duh) a little smaller than the traditional size. IIRC they're about five inches shorter, or basically the width of a regular queen but the length of a double/full sized mattress.

Regarding Walmart--AFAIK their store policy is that parking overnight is allowed. But many cities and towns have ordinances that forbid it, and that of course trumps store policies. Plus unless you really need to save money or are trying to make time and just need somewhere to catch a few winks--it's not an environment that most people would willingly choose. It's hard to get rest with traffic in and out, headlights shining in, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

AC and heat
toilet
shower
Shiloh's space/place
what about washer/dryer (that sounds absurd but I would prefer that especially during long distance excursions)
wifi ?
tv ?
what am I missing?
need water, electricity

All of this is a not to super long trailer at an affordable price.  Am I just dreaming here?

Typically only larger (40'+) diesel pusher motor homes or large fifth wheel trailers have washer/dryers. And those are usually a combo unit. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they're challenging to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sheryl said:

AC and heat
toilet
shower
Shiloh's space/place
wifi ?
tv ?
what am I missing?
need water, electricity

I have all of that with full size bunk beds but no washer/dryer but my trailer is 32ft.  I didn’t want one so I can go to a laundry mat or buy a portable small washer/spin dryer cheaper than buying a trailer with a washer/dryer. A friend has a 24 fr trailer with everything you want but the washer/dryer. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

Typically only larger (40'+) diesel pusher motor homes or large fifth wheel trailers have washer/dryers. And those are usually a combo unit. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they're challenging to find.

OK, thanks, Pawz re: washer/dryer.  I found an RV show in Jan just 2 hours away.  We had one here in Charlotte last month but oh well.....

Thankfully dh and I are on the shorter side so it should work length wise but really need the width of a queen.

1 minute ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I have all of that with full size bunk beds but no washer/dryer but my trailer is 32ft.  I didn’t want one so I can go to a laundry mat or buy a portable small washer/spin dryer cheaper than buying a trailer with a washer/dryer. A friend has a 24 fr trailer with everything you want but the washer/dryer. 

What is a portable washer/dryer?  Never heard of such a thing.  And, what is your trailer again?  Do you have a link to your friend's trailer?

Almost all private campgrounds will have some sort of laundry facility. We've been in some where there was just one washer and one dryer, and others that had almost full sized laundromats. I certainly don't love using shared machines, but the few times I had to it was okay. Plus you really learn how and what to pack so you minimize laundry and the time you have to spend doing it. DH and I did a month long cross country trip and I only did laundry once, about halfway through. We had quick dry towels and a lot of quick dry athleisure type clothing, so as long as we had water/sewer hookups it was easy to hand wash a bit of clothing and towels in the kitchen sink, and everything dried overnight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sheryl said:

What is a portable washer/dryer?  Never heard of such a thing.  And, what is your trailer again?  Do you have a link to your friend's trailer?

Go on Amazon and take a look at the portable washers.  They are small but can get the job done.  I can use it and drain it in our shower.  Large loads are for the laundromat.  I have a Dutchman and I can ask what her trailer is later when I see her ( I can’t remember what brand now that you asked lol). 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Go on Amazon and take a look at the portable washers.  They are small but can get the job done.  I can use it and drain it in our shower.  Large loads are for the laundromat.  I have a Dutchman and I can ask what her trailer is later when I see her ( I can’t remember what brand now that you asked lol). 

Great.  Thanks itsheresomewhere!   I will pull that up now.   Please do, if you don't mind, ask your friend for a link.   I'd appreciate it.  

9 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Interesting.  I'm looking at them now.  So, it is a washer/dryer combo?  But, you said you hook it up where?  And, where do you store it for use on trips?  

49 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Interesting.  I'm looking at them now.  So, it is a washer/dryer combo?  But, you said you hook it up where?  And, where do you store it for use on trips?  

It is a washer and spin dryer.  The clothes come out barely damp and I hang on a drying rack.  The washer/spin dryer can stay in the bathroom when we travel and I use it in the shower. Use the shower head to fill and it can drain into the shower. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sheryl said:

Depending on your trailer you would have water in your tanks and can run off battery power:  our 28’ trailer could go without hook ups  at least 3 days for a family of 5.

• Thanks 1

Here is a good place online to look at used rvs and trailers even if you don’t live near Texas. Things can be filtered by length and/or price, and most will have a floor plan in with the pictures. PPL.  This way you can look at a lot of different brands in one place. 
-I am not necessarily recommending purchasing here. I’ve never bought from them, but I have “shopped” frequently both in person and online.

Edited by City Mouse
  • Thanks 1

The fiberglass Escape 5.0 meets all your asks except for washer dryer and affordable. They are well made and hold their value ridiculously which is good and bad. If you can afford it on the front end, you won't lose near as much of your investment on the back end as you would with most other RVs.

• Thanks 1

AC and heat
toilet
shower
Shiloh's space/place
wifi ?
tv ?
what am I missing?
need water, electricity

I don't think it's unreasonable. A lot will depend on your budget and the towing capacity of your tow vehicle. I also think you're going to be looking at slightly longer trailers in order to accommodate a sitting area. 

I found that the longer the trailer, the greater the selection and variety in style and price, esp used trailers around 10 years old.

Looking is fun. Take a notebook with you and write down the pros and cons for each make and model you tour. This will help later on while you discuss your wants and needs. Dh and I had a lot of "Was it the Coleman or the Jayco that had the...?" moments until I began a journal. I also wrote down asking price, any included extras, and added upfront costs. 

Edited by Granny_Weatherwax
  • Thanks 1

I don't think your wish list is unreasonable (except, as others have said, for the w/d, which are usually only going to found in bigger and more expensive fifth wheels and the like). It sounds like you want to stay in an SUV? That will limit you a fair amount--you have to look not just at tow capacity but at payload, which is generally where you'll hit the limit first with an SUV. But it can certainly be done if you're sticking with a smaller trailer. But you really want to think about the tow vehicle and how that's going to limit you before you start thinking about floor plans; you don't want to get into a situation where you have too much trailer for your tow vehicle and feel unsafe. Going to an RV show and actually getting inside some RVs is really the best way to figure out what will work best. There are also tons of channels on YouTube that do RV walkthroughs. Here's one I'm familiar with: https://www.youtube.com/c/joshthervnerdatbishsrv

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sheryl said:

AC and heat
toilet
shower
Shiloh's space/place
wifi ?
tv ?
what am I missing?
need water, electricity

What would you consider to be super long?

I would not recommend a washer/dryer. Would add weight and you could just use laundromats. We can typically go 2 weeks or more before we need to do laundry. 

A lot of RV's come with at least one tv. So reasonable.

Wifi...  Ok, they don't come with wifi. Many campgrounds offer wifi, though obviously ones in the boonies do not. We have a Mifi unit from Verizon that we use for our house when we are home. We are grandfathered into an unlimited plan which helps. We have a booster. We also have an antenna we can put on the flag pole if needed. And now, as long as we have a cell signal, we have good wifi.  We made it a priority because I had live online classes for several years and I had to have access.  These are all modifications you would have to make. 

The other thing no one has mentioned are your tank capacities. For us, the Escape 5 someone mentioned has a gray tank that is way too small. So, I am assuming you are a newbie. A blank tank holds the waste from your toilet.  A gray tank is water from kitchen sink and bathroom sink and shower.  We have a gray tank that I think is 35 gallons that is for the shower and bathroom sink.  Then we have a 35 gallon gray tank for the kitchen sing (galley).  If we conserve water (navy showers, dishes once a day), we can last a week before we have to dump.  You have to think about the capacity before you dump. It doesn't matter if you are attached to water, only so much can be put into your tank unless you have a sewer connection or have an extra gray water tank. To dump, you have to completely put everything up and go to dump station and then come back and redo everything. A pain. The extra gray tank can be useful for longer trips.  You can dump the gray water into the tank and then drag it with your towing vehicle to the dump so you don't have to completely unhook the trailer. We typically have found black tanks to be plenty.  I don't mind using the campground bathrooms during the day if I needed to. I AM NOT doing that in the middle of the night multiple times. 

Again, I would highly recommend going to RV shows or dealerships and then renting your favorite model.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

The other thing no one has mentioned are your tank capacities. For us, the Escape 5 someone mentioned has a gray tank that is way too small. So, I am assuming you are a newbie. A blank tank holds the waste from your toilet.  A gray tank is water from kitchen sink and bathroom sink and shower.  We have a gray tank that I think is 35 gallons that is for the shower and bathroom sink.

Good info, but on some RVs the bathroom sink goes into the black tank. You have to check specs on that, and decide if it matters and if it's a deal breaker or no big deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

Good info, but on some RVs the bathroom sink goes into the black tank. You have to check specs on that, and decide if it matters and if it's a deal breaker or no big deal.

Yes, good point.  Just bringing it up as you are right.  Our first travel trailer had a smaller gray tank and it was a lot harder for us as we often camp places that boondock or only have electricity for long periods of time.  For us, a bigger gray tank was a big priority.  In fact, we look at that first. LOL.  But for others, may not be a big deal. 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 2:15 PM, sheryl said:

Not talking a trade off aka "wash" but -

Traveling across country
1.  Airline tickets, hotels, food/restaurants
2.  Gasoline and all associated costs of operating and maintaining trailer along with insurance, food prepared in trailer kitchen, NO HOTELS

I appreciate this info.   Will reread and make keep a printed copy of these replies for reference!

Traveling across country:
1. another option: in your suburban with a cooler and small Coleman stove means you don't need airline tickets or food/restaurants -- and if you're comfortable with a small tent and air mattress, you wouldn't even always need a hotel
2. gas/maintenance/insurance for an RV can be higher than expected -- also, don't forget camp fees and grey water dumping fees

Camps often were much more expensive than we thought, so we ended up saving much less than planned in some places we traveled to with our 25' hybrid travel trailer and suburban.

Even though we had a decent sized bathroom in our RV, with dedicated shower/tub, we ended up avoiding using it as much as possible:
- first, because the RV only held 25 gallons, which doesn't go far for 4 people trying to take showers
- second because it took a lot of propane (and time!) to heat up the water for a shower
- third, the more water we used in the RV, the more frequently we had to use the dump stations -- and there is a fee for every dump of grey water

By the time we added up camp fee + dump fees + extra cost of gas for towing, we ended up saving maybe only 25% on costs for a cheaper-but-clean motel.

Also -- flat tires!!!! Every time we used our travel trailer, we ended up with 1-2 flat tires during the trip! And no, we never were taking it "off road" -- it was always due to freeway conditions.

Not to mention the gas cost was HUGE when towing over the mountains -- our suburban usually got 16-18mpg on the highway when just driving it as a vehicle. We got 6mpg getting over one mountain during a headwind. 😵 And because we had a hybrid (sides folded down into canvas covered "bedrooms") it was lighter than a typical full-on slide-out style of RV.

Also: the time for set-up/tear down if you are not staying more than 1-2 nights in a place may not be worth the $$ saved. And one night, we were at high altitude and the weather was cold, and DH had to use my hair dryer on the hoses that were exposed on the outside to thaw them enough to drain so we could pack up in the morning. That was unexpected.

I really think it comes down to if you LIKE the RV lifestyle, and don't mind the slower pace (because you have unexpected delays of repairs and mechanical issues + the expected time investment of set up/tear down, etc.).

We have really enjoyed carefully researching Air B&B places and have met some wonderful hosts, and gotten great tips on things to see/do that are local to the hosts. Many Air B&Bs are comparable to a modest hotel, and many allow pets. 

Speaking of which, that's something else to consider... Many national parks and other venues do not allow pets, so your dog would have to stay behind -- will an RV be comfortable and safe for the dog to stay alone? Or would a crate in a motel room or Air B&B be more secure? Only you can decide that...

I would STRONGLY recommend RENTING first for a 1-2 week "trial" to see if you LIKE the RV lifestyle.

DH and I had done a lot of camping/hiking/backpacking, DH is very mechanically minded, and DSs were into adventures at that time, so we thought we would all really like RV-ing with our then-teen boys. It was worth having done it a few times, but in the end, we're not really hard-core RV'ers. It was a LOT of work and a LOT more $$ than we expected for our 3-week trip through the southwest / west coast / Pacific Northwest. It was an adventure, for sure, and we have fun stories from it. But in the end, we ended up with an expensive lesson (we had bought used, and ended up selling for hardly anything) to learn that RV-ing was not something we wanted to spend our time and $$ on -- car travel and air B&B-ing (with an occasional camp-out night) has been a much better fit for us.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1

I want to reemphasize what a lot of others have said. Rent several types many times before buying. Having the right tow vehicle and knowing your weight is critical. We have had both a travel trailer and a class C motorhome for 3 people. The travel trailer was more work stopping for the night and not as comfortable to travel in even with a new truck. If you plan to stay in one place for a few weeks, then getting there doesn't really matter and is easier. The moving part can be hard, long days, not able to stop just anywhere for fuel, and lower speed. Pulling into a campground at night and unhooking the tow vehicle and hooking up the trailer or RV is not fun in the dark. We have a high schooler who finds it difficult to keep up with her school when we move between cities. Reading and writing on the road wasn't as easy as anticipated. Not having kids with you will help. After saying all that, it can be fun. You have all the comforts of your stuff with you. Being able to stop at a rest area, fire up the generator, and cook lunch is wonderful. Having your own bathroom/shower at a campground is nice. It is easier to travel with a pet than finding hotels. Cost wise, I'm not sure you save much as the fuel mileage is awful and campgrounds with full hookups are expensive ($50-100 a night). We use to be campers many years ago with a tent. Today, we use the RV to place us near a city that we want to explore. We want a comfortable home base and the RV gives us that. You need to go in with your eyes open. It can be great as long as you expect the work that goes with it. For two people and a pet, I would recommend a class B plus which is a small class C but much more maneuverable. You wouldn't need to have a tow vehicle - maybe two mopeds to get around the local area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, it is a learning curve. Give yourself at least a year to get into a groove. It WILL be hard at first because you have never done it before. But you make mistakes, learn, figure out easier ways to do things, figure out what bugs you and what are non-negotiables for YOU as you travel in one.  

And then, it just isn't for some people. Nothing wrong with that. Those of us that love it, love it. Many don't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, City Mouse said:

Here is a good place online to look at used rvs and trailers even if you don’t live near Texas. Things can be filtered by length and/or price, and most will have a floor plan in with the pictures. PPL.  This way you can look at a lot of different brands in one place. 
-I am not necessarily recommending purchasing here. I’ve never bought from them, but I have “shopped” frequently both in person and online.

Thanks! Pulled it up.  So many options!  

On 10/29/2022 at 10:37 AM, livetoread said:

The fiberglass Escape 5.0 meets all your asks except for washer dryer and affordable. They are well made and hold their value ridiculously which is good and bad. If you can afford it on the front end, you won't lose near as much of your investment on the back end as you would with most other RVs.

This looks so awesome!  Shiloh would have to sleep on the kitchen sofa and that would be ok if that's the only option.  Why are the dinette areas so big for 2 people.  This looks to be a relatively short trailer, right?  One bed but the seating looks like it's for 4-6.  I'd rather put the extra seating we won't be using to other use like for that washer/dryer which we will probably need.  It does check all the boxes except for washer/dryer.   Thanks!   I do like this!

On 10/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, Granny_Weatherwax said:

I don't think it's unreasonable. A lot will depend on your budget and the towing capacity of your tow vehicle. I also think you're going to be looking at slightly longer trailers in order to accommodate a sitting area. 

I found that the longer the trailer, the greater the selection and variety in style and price, esp used trailers around 10 years old.

Looking is fun. Take a notebook with you and write down the pros and cons for each make and model you tour. This will help later on while you discuss your wants and needs. Dh and I had a lot of "Was it the Coleman or the Jayco that had the...?" moments until I began a journal. I also wrote down asking price, any included extras, and added upfront costs. 

Yes, excellent idea to journal! Well, may revise the "sitting area" to dinette seating only.  And, right now our vehicle will not tow a trailer.  We're in the market to replace our suv so if we buy a trailer that would dictate the type/size of vehicle.   

On 10/29/2022 at 10:58 AM, kokotg said:

I don't think your wish list is unreasonable (except, as others have said, for the w/d, which are usually only going to found in bigger and more expensive fifth wheels and the like). It sounds like you want to stay in an SUV? That will limit you a fair amount--you have to look not just at tow capacity but at payload, which is generally where you'll hit the limit first with an SUV. But it can certainly be done if you're sticking with a smaller trailer. But you really want to think about the tow vehicle and how that's going to limit you before you start thinking about floor plans; you don't want to get into a situation where you have too much trailer for your tow vehicle and feel unsafe. Going to an RV show and actually getting inside some RVs is really the best way to figure out what will work best. There are also tons of channels on YouTube that do RV walkthroughs. Here's one I'm familiar with: https://www.youtube.com/c/joshthervnerdatbishsrv

OK, thanks for that!  I watched part of the video.  Well, yes, I think we'll stick with our suv.  We will not be buying a Tahoe, Suburban or such as it's now the 2 of us and Shiloh.  I understand we should discuss next vehicle and take it from there.  Probably research both simultaneously to play one with the other.   Tow capacity and payload.....need to research this to understand.  Thanks for that!  

23 hours ago, TexasProud said:

What would you consider to be super long?

I would not recommend a washer/dryer. Would add weight and you could just use laundromats. We can typically go 2 weeks or more before we need to do laundry. 

A lot of RV's come with at least one tv. So reasonable.

Wifi...  Ok, they don't come with wifi. Many campgrounds offer wifi, though obviously ones in the boonies do not. We have a Mifi unit from Verizon that we use for our house when we are home. We are grandfathered into an unlimited plan which helps. We have a booster. We also have an antenna we can put on the flag pole if needed. And now, as long as we have a cell signal, we have good wifi.  We made it a priority because I had live online classes for several years and I had to have access.  These are all modifications you would have to make. 

The other thing no one has mentioned are your tank capacities. For us, the Escape 5 someone mentioned has a gray tank that is way too small. So, I am assuming you are a newbie. A blank tank holds the waste from your toilet.  A gray tank is water from kitchen sink and bathroom sink and shower.  We have a gray tank that I think is 35 gallons that is for the shower and bathroom sink.  Then we have a 35 gallon gray tank for the kitchen sing (galley).  If we conserve water (navy showers, dishes once a day), we can last a week before we have to dump.  You have to think about the capacity before you dump. It doesn't matter if you are attached to water, only so much can be put into your tank unless you have a sewer connection or have an extra gray water tank. To dump, you have to completely put everything up and go to dump station and then come back and redo everything. A pain. The extra gray tank can be useful for longer trips.  You can dump the gray water into the tank and then drag it with your towing vehicle to the dump so you don't have to completely unhook the trailer. We typically have found black tanks to be plenty.  I don't mind using the campground bathrooms during the day if I needed to. I AM NOT doing that in the middle of the night multiple times. 

Again, I would highly recommend going to RV shows or dealerships and then renting your favorite model.

Oh dear, yes, I'm new at this.  🙂   But, this is overwhelming all of the considerations.  I really would feel more comfortable having a washer/dryer personal to us.  Or, just pack more clothes so we don't run out - thinking undergarments here LOL!  Navy shower?  I have for several years now just wet, water off to lather up, rinse, wet hair, water off, shampoo and rinse.  Back and forth with water on/off.  So, how many minutes of water - how long does it last.  I'd hate for dh or I to be 3/4 done and out of water and that conditioner is stuck in our hair. Yuck!  And, is the water heated?  I'm thinking all of this might be too much for us to consider as we're so unknowing about all of it.

22 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Traveling across country:
1. another option: in your suburban with a cooler and small Coleman stove means you don't need airline tickets or food/restaurants -- and if you're comfortable with a small tent and air mattress, you wouldn't even always need a hotel
2. gas/maintenance/insurance for an RV can be higher than expected -- also, don't forget camp fees and grey water dumping fees

Camps often were much more expensive than we thought, so we ended up saving much less than planned in some places we traveled to with our 25' hybrid travel trailer and suburban.

Even though we had a decent sized bathroom in our RV, with dedicated shower/tub, we ended up avoiding using it as much as possible:
- first, because the RV only held 25 gallons, which doesn't go far for 4 people trying to take showers
- second because it took a lot of propane (and time!) to heat up the water for a shower
- third, the more water we used in the RV, the more frequently we had to use the dump stations -- and there is a fee for every dump of grey water

By the time we added up camp fee + dump fees + extra cost of gas for towing, we ended up saving maybe only 25% on costs for a cheaper-but-clean motel.

Also -- flat tires!!!! Every time we used our travel trailer, we ended up with 1-2 flat tires during the trip! And no, we never were taking it "off road" -- it was always due to freeway conditions.

Not to mention the gas cost was HUGE when towing over the mountains -- our suburban usually got 16-18mpg on the highway when just driving it as a vehicle. We got 6mpg getting over one mountain during a headwind. 😵 And because we had a hybrid (sides folded down into canvas covered "bedrooms") it was lighter than a typical full-on slide-out style of RV.

Also: the time for set-up/tear down if you are not staying more than 1-2 nights in a place may not be worth the $$ saved. And one night, we were at high altitude and the weather was cold, and DH had to use my hair dryer on the hoses that were exposed on the outside to thaw them enough to drain so we could pack up in the morning. That was unexpected.

I really think it comes down to if you LIKE the RV lifestyle, and don't mind the slower pace (because you have unexpected delays of repairs and mechanical issues + the expected time investment of set up/tear down, etc.).

We have really enjoyed carefully researching Air B&B places and have met some wonderful hosts, and gotten great tips on things to see/do that are local to the hosts. Many Air B&Bs are comparable to a modest hotel, and many allow pets. 

Speaking of which, that's something else to consider... Many national parks and other venues do not allow pets, so your dog would have to stay behind -- will an RV be comfortable and safe for the dog to stay alone? Or would a crate in a motel room or Air B&B be more secure? Only you can decide that...

I would STRONGLY recommend RENTING first for a 1-2 week "trial" to see if you LIKE the RV lifestyle.

DH and I had done a lot of camping/hiking/backpacking, DH is very mechanically minded, and DSs were into adventures at that time, so we thought we would all really like RV-ing with our then-teen boys. It was worth having done it a few times, but in the end, we're not really hard-core RV'ers. It was a LOT of work and a LOT more $$ than we expected for our 3-week trip through the southwest / west coast / Pacific Northwest. It was an adventure, for sure, and we have fun stories from it. But in the end, we ended up with an expensive lesson (we had bought used, and ended up selling for hardly anything) to learn that RV-ing was not something we wanted to spend our time and $$ on -- car travel and air B&B-ing (with an occasional camp-out night) has been a much better fit for us.

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I understand.  Well, all of these points are something for us to consider.  I think a lot would depend on how often we use the trailer/how often will we be traveling a good distance.   Another pp may have mentioned this.  If we're only going to use it twice then I'd say a definite no.  Shiloh would be fine in an RV.  She'd ride along with us in the car and hang around with us in RV when we're stopped.  

DH and I have done a bit of sleeping bag/air mattress/tent camping but not now.  We enjoy nature and would find it relaxing to back at the campground under a starry night.  

It might be that we'd rent and not buy but we'd still need the right towing vehicle.  

Your trip to the mountains sounds amazing.  Glad your dh was so knowledgeable and creative to use your blow dryer!!  Did you go the Rockies?

21 hours ago, alpacawalker said:

I want to reemphasize what a lot of others have said. Rent several types many times before buying. Having the right tow vehicle and knowing your weight is critical. We have had both a travel trailer and a class C motorhome for 3 people. The travel trailer was more work stopping for the night and not as comfortable to travel in even with a new truck. If you plan to stay in one place for a few weeks, then getting there doesn't really matter and is easier. The moving part can be hard, long days, not able to stop just anywhere for fuel, and lower speed. Pulling into a campground at night and unhooking the tow vehicle and hooking up the trailer or RV is not fun in the dark. We have a high schooler who finds it difficult to keep up with her school when we move between cities. Reading and writing on the road wasn't as easy as anticipated. Not having kids with you will help. After saying all that, it can be fun. You have all the comforts of your stuff with you. Being able to stop at a rest area, fire up the generator, and cook lunch is wonderful. Having your own bathroom/shower at a campground is nice. It is easier to travel with a pet than finding hotels. Cost wise, I'm not sure you save much as the fuel mileage is awful and campgrounds with full hookups are expensive ($50-100 a night). We use to be campers many years ago with a tent. Today, we use the RV to place us near a city that we want to explore. We want a comfortable home base and the RV gives us that. You need to go in with your eyes open. It can be great as long as you expect the work that goes with it. For two people and a pet, I would recommend a class B plus which is a small class C but much more maneuverable. You wouldn't need to have a tow vehicle - maybe two mopeds to get around the local area.

Excellent advice here too!  It's just DH, Shiloh and me now.  It sounds like a lot of work AFTER we "work" at learning about this process and graduate from newbie to novice even.  I dunno.  Maybe the price is too high (not money) just the sake of having home cooked meals.  I like to eat out at restaurants but would not want to every meal or most meals because I do adhere to some restrictions - watching my sodium, sugar intake, etc.  I'll look at the motorhome again.  DH said he would go trailer but I dunno.  Taking the common thought in this thread of attending shows and research is really where we need to start.  It may be renting is what we'll do.  Not sure if we'd use it enough to warrant us buying one.  So much I don't know.  The moped idea is great but we would like to take Shiloh with us to many places (not every place but many).

20 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Also, it is a learning curve. Give yourself at least a year to get into a groove. It WILL be hard at first because you have never done it before. But you make mistakes, learn, figure out easier ways to do things, figure out what bugs you and what are non-negotiables for YOU as you travel in one.  

And then, it just isn't for some people. Nothing wrong with that. Those of us that love it, love it. Many don't. 

Just to offer a counterpoint to some of the posts above...we've been RVing for 7 years now, and it's been an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. We mostly use it for long summer trips (DH is a teacher, so summers off), and we've done 2 cross country trips with tons of national parks, 1 long trip to Atlantic Canada, and a couple more east coast/midwest trips, plus a lot of shorter trips during the school year. We're planning a big Newfoundland trip next summer. We have three dogs and 4 kids (though our days of having all 4 of them with us for whole summers are probably behind us now), so for us it's very much a cost issue--we couldn't touch places that would hold 6 people and 3 dogs for what we pay using the trailer, even taking into account the cost of ownership and more gas.

Yes, there's always something going wrong (although I'll say we've only had one flat trailer tire in 7 years and many, many thousands of miles--and that was on tires we knew were probably due for replacement--so it sounds like Lori had exceptionally bad luck in that department!), and it definitely helps to be at least a little handy so you don't have to find someone else for every tiny thing that goes wrong. In my experience, though, there's always something going wrong with travel in general, no matter how you do it. But you're essentially adding an extra house, with all the accompanying issues, to your life. 

But every time I stay in a hotel or airbnb, I miss having my own bed and bathroom, my own kitchen (with a fridge that doesn't have to be unloaded after every stop), great outdoor space at campgrounds, etc. I also miss how easy it is to leave a hotel in the morning when I'm staying in the trailer 😉 It really is all about trade-offs. For us, it's the only way we can afford to travel as much as we want to. It would be very difficult for us to justify if we were just doing an occasional week or two long trip and some weekends (although people who want to do very frequent local weekend trips might also find it makes sense financially). The dogs are the part that stops me every time I think maybe it would be less trouble to ditch the trailer and go back to hotels/airbnbs. We don't want to leave them behind for as long as our trips are, it's often very tough to find hotels or rentals that will take them, especially all three of them, and they're very comfortable in the trailer--it's their home, and even my anxious little terrier feels completely safe there. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

...Did you go the Rockies?

We were traveling through the canyon lands and the various mountain ranges of northern AZ, through UT, and through ID. Yes, some of that would be the Rockies, which stretch from Canada all the way down through the U.S. into New Mexico. 😉 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 11:00 AM, sheryl said:

Oh dear, yes, I'm new at this.  🙂   But, this is overwhelming all of the considerations.  I really would feel more comfortable having a washer/dryer personal to us.  Or, just pack more clothes so we don't run out - thinking undergarments here LOL!  Navy shower?  I have for several years now just wet, water off to lather up, rinse, wet hair, water off, shampoo and rinse.  Back and forth with water on/off.  So, how many minutes of water - how long does it last.  I'd hate for dh or I to be 3/4 done and out of water and that conditioner is stuck in our hair. Yuck!  And, is the water heated?  I'm thinking all of this might be too much for us to consider as we're so unknowing about all of it.

Thanks!

I mean, most of our summer trips over the years have been 2-3 weeks and we haven't had to do laundry.  I can bring 25 pairs of underwear. We rewear clothes unless they get super dirty or on a stinky hike.  Sounds like you do Navy showers regularly.  I don't at home.  You won't run out of water if you do that.  I mean we each take I don't know maybe 4 showers each a week and don't run out.  Plus, if you are hooked up to water, then you won't run out at all.  The only thing you have to watch is how you are filling up the tank so you have to dump.  We can easily dry camp ( no hookups) for a week no problem at all.  We generally take showers every other day or so. In the summer if we are really lathering on the sunscreen, then maybe every day. Honestly, you sound like you are pretty water conscious in real life.  We are not and easily take 15 minute showers at home. My husband really loves his hot showers at home, so this the showers in the RV are very different.  Doesn't sound like they will be for you.  We have never run out of water.  Now when all 3 kids were traveling with us, we did fill up the gray tank so that it back up a little bit in the shower once.  Dry camping for a week was tough with all 5 of us. Much easier with 2. 

On 10/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, kokotg said:

Just to offer a counterpoint to some of the posts above...we've been RVing for 7 years now, and it's been an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. We mostly use it for long summer trips (DH is a teacher, so summers off), and we've done 2 cross country trips with tons of national parks, 1 long trip to Atlantic Canada, and a couple more east coast/midwest trips, plus a lot of shorter trips during the school year. We're planning a big Newfoundland trip next summer. We have three dogs and 4 kids (though our days of having all 4 of them with us for whole summers are probably behind us now), so for us it's very much a cost issue--we couldn't touch places that would hold 6 people and 3 dogs for what we pay using the trailer, even taking into account the cost of ownership and more gas.

Yes, there's always something going wrong (although I'll say we've only had one flat trailer tire in 7 years and many, many thousands of miles--and that was on tires we knew were probably due for replacement--so it sounds like Lori had exceptionally bad luck in that department!), and it definitely helps to be at least a little handy so you don't have to find someone else for every tiny thing that goes wrong. In my experience, though, there's always something going wrong with travel in general, no matter how you do it. But you're essentially adding an extra house, with all the accompanying issues, to your life. 

But every time I stay in a hotel or airbnb, I miss having my own bed and bathroom, my own kitchen (with a fridge that doesn't have to be unloaded after every stop), great outdoor space at campgrounds, etc. I also miss how easy it is to leave a hotel in the morning when I'm staying in the trailer 😉 It really is all about trade-offs. For us, it's the only way we can afford to travel as much as we want to. It would be very difficult for us to justify if we were just doing an occasional week or two long trip and some weekends (although people who want to do very frequent local weekend trips might also find it makes sense financially). The dogs are the part that stops me every time I think maybe it would be less trouble to ditch the trailer and go back to hotels/airbnbs. We don't want to leave them behind for as long as our trips are, it's often very tough to find hotels or rentals that will take them, especially all three of them, and they're very comfortable in the trailer--it's their home, and even my anxious little terrier feels completely safe there. 

It sounds like you all have a great time RV'ing!  I know we would too, in time and with lots of trial and error) but there's such a deep learning curve.  I'm rethinking all of this.  Because it will only be the 2 of us and Shi and we won't be traveling monthly I'm beginning to wonder if we should.  It sounds wonderful to have a little travel home on wheels as opposed to a hotel (hotels are nice and serve a purpose but it would be so great to not have to always pack up and be out by 11 am).  We'll still go to a show.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I mean, most of our summer trips over the years have been 2-3 weeks and we haven't had to do laundry.  I can bring 25 pairs of underwear. We rewear clothes unless they get super dirty or on a stinky hike.  Sounds like you do Navy showers regularly.  I don't at home.  You won't run out of water if you do that.  I mean we each take I don't know maybe 4 showers each a week and don't run out.  Plus, if you are hooked up to water, then you won't run out at all.  The only thing you have to watch is how you are filling up the tank so you have to dump.  We can easily dry camp ( no hookups) for a week no problem at all.  We generally take showers every other day or so. In the summer if we are really lathering on the sunscreen, then maybe every day. Honestly, you sound like you are pretty water conscious in real life.  We are not and easily take 15 minute showers at home. My husband really loves his hot showers at home, so this the showers in the RV are very different.  Doesn't sound like they will be for you.  We have never run out of water.  Now when all 3 kids were traveling with us, we did fill up the gray tank so that it back up a little bit in the shower once.  Dry camping for a week was tough with all 5 of us. Much easier with 2. 

Well, thanks for that.  So that's a Navy shower.   🙂   It still takes me time in the shower though.  A shower 15 min.   Shower/wash hair 25'ish and shower/shave alternating days) 20.  DH is in and out in 10 or less.  I will not rewear undies but of course rewear my street clothes.  My upper I wear for a long time before needing to wash it.   What will not be for me?  I trying to understand.  We will be going to a show in the near future to figure all of this out.  Thanks!

12 minutes ago, sheryl said:

It sounds like you all have a great time RV'ing!  I know we would too, in time and with lots of trial and error) but there's such a deep learning curve.  I'm rethinking all of this.  Because it will only be the 2 of us and Shi and we won't be traveling monthly I'm beginning to wonder if we should.  It sounds wonderful to have a little travel home on wheels as opposed to a hotel (hotels are nice and serve a purpose but it would be so great to not have to always pack up and be out by 11 am).  We'll still go to a show.  Thanks!  

Most campgrounds have check in and check out times just like hotels. And most check out times are 11:00.

• Thanks 1