Menu

should I run?

EmilyGF

Hi Hive,

I used to run. I ran cross country in high school and ran for fitness on and off during my twenties. I found running to be inconvenient with little kids around and took to fitness videos. I now walk a fair amount (2 miles most days) and do fitness videos with HIIT, cardio, and weights 3-4 days per week.

A number of my friends run, and sometimes I wonder if I should take it up again. DS17 is running a lot currently, and while I remember enjoying running, I haven't been a consistent runner in over a decade.

I looked into a local running club and have not found one. I live in a place with a fairly brutal winter, but I also live next door to a Planet Fitness and could theoretically use their treadmills for $12/month.

Is there any reason to prefer running to walking daily with 2-ish hours of HIIT/Cardio/weights per week?

Emily

I think my issue with running is just the impact it has long term on  knees and hips and trying to reduce that. I do a a bit of a run/walk thing most mornings about 3 miles or so. I feel the running is good for increasing cardio but the walking inter spacing helps reduce the impact but if you enjoy it, you can try it for a few months and see 

• Like 2

I absolutely love running.  It gives me a great sense of accomplishment physically and mentally.  I got injured last year and then needed surgery and thought I'd never run again but I just started back up (slowly) and am up to a whopping 15 minutes now.  I used to run 40-50 miles/week and now I'm running about 4.  But it feels amazing to be out there again and fall is such a wonderful time to run.  

I say do what makes you feel good.  That might mean just walking, or doing some run/walks, or full running.  🙂  I can't handle a treadmill - I have to run outdoors but winters are tough to stay consistent due to weather/road conditions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wish I could run. I can’t think of a simpler, more efficient workout. I ran in the Army. I never cared for it but loved the results. I ended up with a torn meniscus from running on tank trails. It ONLY bothers me if I run or attempt a ballet class. Otherwise I can go about my life without pain and sometimes forget which knee it is until a storm is coming. 

I work with runners. They’re 65?and 70 and are all in with the running culture and groups. 

• Like 2

I was going to say that I'd vote for you!

But I don't have an opinion about the other kind of running.  I hate it, people I love love it.  I would follow your heart.  

Sorry I can't vote for you, you always seem refreshingly sensible which is a perspective that seems to be missing in US politics. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Running works for me because I don't have to drive any where or talk to anybody first thing when I head out. I have run half-heartedly for years and it has kept me reasonably fit. This summer I got inspired to train for a half marathon this fall. It has been great. Now that my mileage is up again I'm loving it! Plus I've lost a few pounds.

I am using a modified training plan from Hal Higdon and plotting different runs on How far did I run?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My philosophy is to only run if someone is chasing me and they are really, super duper scary.  

As my hubby always says, quoting Back to the Future 3, "Run for fun? What the hell kinda fun is that?"

(He bikes.)

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Haha 3

If you decide to start running, don’t give up your weight lifting!  

And if you think you might want to run, why not give it a try?  Even if you only run for awhile, you will have done it and you won’t always wish you had!

Anne

Edited by Anne
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Do you still enjoy running?  would you rather be running than walking?

walking is easier on your joints - and running isn't any more beneficial than walking.  You just get a more intense workout, so you can have the same effect in a shorter amount of time.

• Like 2

So I have just started for maybe 2 months now doing a more varied approach to my exercising. One day HIIT (on/off jogging), one day endurance jog, one day incline hike or endurance hike, one day gentle walking, combined with strength training (I'm still just resistance no weights). For the first time in my life I'm actually seeing results and rather quickly. I feel stronger, feel like I'm actually progressing in the amount of cardio I can do and I've gotten skinnier. This is kind of what my treadmill suggested for me. 

So I think my answer to your question may be do both. My husband was really surprised by the results when he started splitting between doing incline walking and running instead of just running. He was feeling like he was plateauing in his running. 

My prior workout experience were dance, and Zumba. Zumba did nothing for me. Ballet was good but a bigger commitment than I can make at the moment. My treadmill also taught me how to run "for fun" as opposed to like I was being chased. That helped a lot, not saying I enjoy running, but now I'm willing to do it for my health.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Clarita said:

So I have just started for maybe 2 months now doing a more varied approach to my exercising. One day HIIT (on/off jogging), one day endurance jog, one day incline hike or endurance hike, one day gentle walking, combined with strength training (I'm still just resistance no weights). For the first time in my life I'm actually seeing results and rather quickly. I feel stronger, feel like I'm actually progressing in the amount of cardio I can do and I've gotten skinnier. This is kind of what my treadmill suggested for me. 

So I think my answer to your question may be do both. My husband was really surprised by the results when he started splitting between doing incline walking and running instead of just running. He was feeling like he was plateauing in his running. 

My prior workout experience were dance, and Zumba. Zumba did nothing for me. Ballet was good but a bigger commitment than I can make at the moment. My treadmill also taught me how to run "for fun" as opposed to like I was being chased. That helped a lot, not saying I enjoy running, but now I'm willing to do it for my health.

Ahh, good point! All-or-nothing thinking does no good! I hadn't thought of subbing 1-2 days of running per week to my exercise routine instead of thinking, "I am either a runner or not." Thanks!

Sure, why not? Enjoyment is a huge factor in determining how to exercise.

If it's only about fitness, I will note that I don't know that it's necessary for fitness. At a conference for aortic conditions in 2019, we heard a lecture presented on a study that was still being done regarding mouse models for exercise related to aortic strain. The data covered that, but it also yielded information about walking vs. running that compelled one of the researchers to stop running and start walking. I don't remember whether it was a walking is just as good so why kill myself running decision, or what, but I found it really interesting at the time. If you want to look for the study, it's on mice, and they did echocardiograms on the mice. It required special equipment, so I am guessing there aren't many studies like it to wade through on your way to finding it.

Life is too short to "should" on yourself. 

Do you WANT to run? Then do. If you don't want to, don't,  and instead pick a physical activity that brings you joy.

Eta: I don't like to run. But I love to walk, hike, kayak, and rockclimb,, and since I am an adult,  I get to choose those instead.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I love running. I started for fitness but now it's a big part of my time to myself/mental health/self care. I prefer running outside because I love being in nature but we also have really long, cold winters. I have a treadmill but it's not my preferred way to run. When I do use it, I will find a show to watch that I don't watch any other time. 

One group that was really helpful in terms of getting me back into running after a long hiatus was Moms on the Run -- not sure if you have it in your area but it was fantastic. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I wish I could run.  

Ditto. When I see people running, I am always so envious, because it just seems like it would be both challenging and joyous (freedom, speed, etc.). 

However, I have arthritic knees (and a previously torn meniscus), peripheral neuropathy and balance issues that have, in some combination, already grounded me multiple times just trying to do the walking I already do.

So, I content myself with walking, trying to walk more quickly and longer distances. I currently walk about 5 "intentional" miles per day (meaning I put on walking shoes, go outside and turn on my tracker app), plus another mile or two of incidental walking around the house, taking the dog outside, shopping, etc. I also go to (gentle) yoga classes a couple of times a week and do some kind of strength and stretching or cardio exercise at home five or six days a week. 

During the "running season" (which is roughly October through May here in Florida), I sign up for some kind of formal, walker-friendly race at least once a month. This year, I have four 5Ks and four 10Ks.

Just last week, I was wondering whether, since I've lost some weight (taken strain off my knees) and been diligently doing my knee-strengthening exercises and my knees haven't been bothering me, maybe I could revisit the possibility of running . . . And then I spent a day at a theme park and came home in pain. 

So, walking it is.

• Like 2

I started running in my late 30s and it has developed into a very important mental health exercise.  I do race (half and full marathons and triathlons) which is another great boost....even if I come in last.  I also walk, hike, road bike, lap swim, nordic ski, and do CF but in the 6 non-snow months of the year, running is my first go to.  I run about 25 miles per week and the equivalent distance on skis when the snow makes running impossible here.  Even in very heavy run years (like when I don't have a pool membership, for instance), I think I am somewhat protected by switching to a different activity entirely for winter.  So if wear and tear is a concern, I'd say start with running twice a week and continue walking on other days.  Or make the middle mile of your walk into a run.  Whatever works for you.  But I see no reason not to try!

One more thing....  Running on a treadmill is very different from running on the ground.  I find it soul sucking just because it is indoors and boring.  But aside from that, I also find it painful.  I don't know why there is such a difference but I just stopped trying.  So if you try one way and find it does not work for you, try other ways before throwing in the towel.  For me personally, trail running is best.  Running on hard surfaces is much harder on my body.  I still do it about half of the time, but much prefer trails or gravel.  I seriously cannot run even one mile on a dreadmill but can knock out a half on demand on any other surface.

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

One more thing....  Running on a treadmill is very different from running on the ground.  I find it soul sucking just because it is indoors and boring.  But aside from that, I also find it painful.  I don't know why there is such a difference but I just stopped trying.  So if you try one way and find it does not work for you, try other ways before throwing in the towel.  For me personally, trail running is best.  Running on hard surfaces is much harder on my body.  I still do it about half of the time, but much prefer trails or gravel.  I seriously cannot run even one mile on a dreadmill but can knock out a half on demand on any other surface.

I have the same issue with treadmills. I've tried them at hotels and couldn't do anything approaching my usual mileage. Maybe it was the consistently regulated pace? Maybe it was the morning show always playing loudly on the TV in front of it, i don't know.

I don't have any issue with running on sidewalks and bike paths which is convenient since that is what is most readily available to me. Trail runs are probably better for building skeletal strength due to the unevenness if the surface. I don't think my jumping tree roots or sidewalk cracks is giving me any bonus.

I'm a slow walker, it seems unlikely that I would get enough cardio challenge from just walking, but even my similarly slow running pace definitely raises my cardio and respiration levels.

Definitely doesn't have to be all or nothing!