Menu

Coffee maker help, please

Vasha

I like French press for an inexpensive option and we keep one on hand for power outages, the aeropress is a good option for travel but too fussy for me for everyday use.

We are espresso drinkers here, and our daily machine reflects that. Unless you love coffee deeply, you don’t need what we have. Trust me. 🤣

I don’t prefer Keurig for waste reasons, but we do also have a Nespresso that uses pods. It’s our back up machine that occasionally travels to trade shows. It makes a really good coffee! I prefer their lighter roasts — less acidic and burned. Melozio is one, I think. We collect the pods and send them to the company for recycling. 

If you want good coffee, I would focus more on the beans. Buy whole bean, freshly roasted — check the roast date. Get a good grinder. My favorite roaster, right now, is Camano Island Roasters, they will ship within days of roasting. Papua New Guinea blend has chocolate notes. Fair trade, shade grown.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I've read that filtered coffee is better if one has a cholesterol problem if that's a consideration.

My late sister always swore by Bunn.  Her machine was somehow hooked up to water?  It was super quick!  My sister made great coffee!  Some of my kids' special memories are having mugs of coffee at their auntie's house

• Like 1

https://www.megaboutique.com.au/avanti-inox-espr-coffee-mkr-9cup-900ml?msclkid=d7b9ceece3a6122b49e8ac4d8d697c86

We have this style.  Although we drink the whole pot between two of us… so ignore the 9 cups … that’s for when you do the 2/3 milk thing or have short black. You could use a Frother though and do it properly.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

Pour over: I have a Chemex and a Hario

French Press: I have a stainless steel one as I keep breaking my pour over glass and porcelain ones as I am nonfunctional before my coffee which is when accidents happen in my kitchen.

For my husband: he will not do anything complicated in the kitchen, so we have a Keurig with reusable pods that I refill with coffee ground from fresh beans. We get pretty good coffee from it!

as others said, buy a good Burr grinder for coffee beans, buy some good coffee beans and grind small batches of coffee to preserve freshness.

My current favorite is Blue Mountain Jamaica coffee but I change the coffee type every few months to try out a lot of varieties.

• Like 3

How many people are you making coffee for and how often?  For an inexpensive method, I would use either a moka pot or a French press.  I would only get a pod-type coffee maker if there was someone drinking coffee irregularly so keeping ground coffee fresh was an issue.  If I were getting a pod-type machine I would get a Nespresso rather than a Keurig because the coffee coffee has more of an espresso-like crema, which I like. 

• Like 1

IMO the best tasting is pour over. I have three or four various devices for that. But I've noted I use a lot more coffee beans with pour over than with other types of coffee makers. Which is probably not a huge deal if you're just making it for one and aren't a huge coffee drinker. But if you make a lot it does drive the cost up a bit. But it's possible that's a me thing and others don't find that pour overs use more coffee.

I don't like Keurigs. I had one for several years and was happy when it died. I never felt like I was getting all of the parts clean.

I don't care for French press coffee. I'll drink it in a pinch. I have one in my arsenal for power outages and other desperate times, but generally my fallback for desperate time is a pour over device.

In recent years I've been using a Ninja drip coffee maker and it fits my normal daily needs perfectly. Easy to use, easy to clean, makes good hot coffee.

• Like 1

It totally depends on what you consider good coffee, and how much coffee you/family goes through a day. 

Some love the taste of a mild, flavored coffee. Like, if you prefer flavored creamers from the grocery store, and/or like Dunkin coffee from the drive through, and you like a variety of flavors, go with the Keurig. Mild, can get boxes of different flavored coffees without them going bad quickly, and it is fast. Or you can use ground coffee in a resuable k-cup.

This is also the preferred option if you need coffee you can make with one hand while holding a baby. Or if you just need that caffeine fix in 30 seconds or less. 

If you are a "coffee snob" and want all the various flavor profiles of great beans to show through, and only go to independent cafes with imported beans from around the world, and you have two hands to make coffee, and can wait a few minutes, pour over. 

If you like a bold, dark coffee, and like me actually like those coffees that others say are burnt, and are only making a few times a day or will use an insulated container to hold it afterward, french press.

If you like gas station and diner coffee, and need a large amount that is ready to go all day, a regular drip machine. You can find ones that have passed certain standards as far as temperature, etc.

If you prefer a latte, or cappuccino, or Americano (iced or otherwise), or straight espresso, get a Nespresso or an actual espresso maker. My Nespresso has been going strong for 9 years now, as has the milk frother that came with it. Totally worth the money. 

Or if you have no ability to pick one type, you can be me - we have a Keurig that DH uses constantly, and that I use when in a hurry or for certain flavored coffees, a Nespresso that DS22 uses daily and I use off and on, maybe once a week at this point, sometimes several times a week, and the Ninja Hot and Cold system that I use daily for my morning coffee and DS22 and I both use for cold brew, hot tea, and iced tea. 

(and we have both a french press and an aeropress for back up during hurricanes)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Spryte said:

We are espresso drinkers here, and our daily machine reflects that. Unless you love coffee deeply, you don’t need what we have. Trust me. 🤣

Our espresso maker is worth more than one of our cars.  That gives you an idea of our priorities.  And we do NEED it!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, skimomma said:

Our espresso maker is worth more than one of our cars.  That gives you an idea of our priorities.  And we do NEED it!  

Yep! We call ours our Italian sports car.

Other than DH and the kids, it is the love of my life. 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Spryte said:

Yep! We call ours our Italian sports car.

Other than DH and the kids, it is the love of my life. 🤣

We call ours Coffee Robot and I'm pretty sure it is the first thing I would grab in a fire, after the cats.  It has completely ruined us.  I *almost* tried to bring it camping last weekend.  Instead I had to settle for french press.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We call ours Coffee Robot and I'm pretty sure it is the first thing I would grab in a fire, after the cats.  It has completely ruined us.  I *almost* tried to bring it camping last weekend.  Instead I had to settle for french press.

No kidding! I have considered taking ours on vacation, too! Completely ruined here. 

We take the back up Nespresso. But it’s not the same. Alas!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We are considering a Nespresso for travel.......

I do not recommend anyone go down this path!  LOL!  I mourn the days when I was happy with Mr. Coffee.  Life was so much simpler!

Completely agree!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, skimomma said:

We are considering a Nespresso for travel.......

4 hours ago, Spryte said:

Completely agree!

Ritz Carlton has Neopresso machines in their hotel rooms. Some of the Marriott hotels and Hilton hotels do as well. I haven’t stayed at a Hyatt hotel recently but they apparently have Neopresso machines in their hotel rooms too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Ritz Carlton has Neopresso machines in their hotel rooms. Some of the Marriott hotels and Hilton hotels do as well. I haven’t stayed at a Hyatt hotel recently but they apparently have Neopresso machines in their hotel rooms too.

Good to know! Will save us packing the machine. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1