Menu

Mother diagnosed with essential tremors

Excelsior! Academy

She has seen a neurologist and was told it was from COVID.  As far as I know she had COVID in early 2020, but she has recently had her booster.  She is fully vaccinated.  Could it be a side effect of the most recent shot or is it possible for the tremors to show up 2 years later?

I am not trying to start a debate about whether or not she should be vaccinated.  Obviously, she has been fully vaccinated and will continue to get boosters if needed.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Sad 2

How was it determined that it was from Covid? My oldest sister, one of her grandchildren, and two of my grandchildren have essential tremors. My grands had theirs before Covid got here, but my other family members haven’t had a doc suggest Covid as a trigger.  Just wondering how your mom’s doc made the connection. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Annie G said:

How was it determined that it was from Covid? My oldest sister, one of her grandchildren, and two of my grandchildren have essential tremors. My grands had theirs before Covid got here, but my other family members haven’t had a doc suggest Covid as a trigger.  Just wondering how your mom’s doc made the connection. 

I'm not sure.  They did a test for Parkinson's and ruled that out.  I asked her if it was hereditary and she said the neurologist told her it was from COVID.  

Edited to add:  I live several states away from her and am not able to attend doctor visits with her.

My father in law, my husband, and both of my children have essential tremors.  They're pretty benign, if often annoying.  There's a strong genetic basis to them...50% chance of any kid with one parent with it.  

ETA:  None of them have had covid, and they all well predate covidtide.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 4

I hope that the tremors don't affect her functioning. 

My ds 16 developed tremors in his hands shortly after having covid. I was wondering if there was a link. We don't have any hereditary cases in the family, the blood tests showed nothing there (diabetes, etc.). He's had an MRI but we haven't heard anything back yet. 

Now I'm really curious what the neurologist will come back with. Ds's tremors don't affect his function at all. He plays classical guitar, volleyball, basketball, carries glasses of liquids on a tray many nights in a row while in a community theatre production. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

My dh has had this for years before covid was a thing; It's more annoying than harmful. 

Have your dh’s tremors gotten worse over the years? My sister is newly diagnosed in the past year and it’s progressing past the annoying phase. She’s having issues cooking and dropped a plate of dinner carrying it to the table…that was scary. It shattered and she almost fell on it. 
Oldest grand’s tremors haven’t gotten worse and she’s adjusting, but at 14 she’s still very self conscious when someone points it out. She seems to mostly hide her hands when she’s in a group setting.  Oddly enough most people mention it to her thinking they’re being helpful - a lot of people think she must have low blood sugar. 

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Have your dh’s tremors gotten worse over the years? My sister is newly diagnosed in the past year and it’s progressing past the annoying phase. She’s having issues cooking and dropped a plate of dinner carrying it to the table…that was scary. It shattered and she almost fell on it. 
Oldest grand’s tremors haven’t gotten worse and she’s adjusting, but at 14 she’s still very self conscious when someone points it out. She seems to mostly hide her hands when she’s in a group setting.  Oddly enough most people mention it to her thinking they’re being helpful - a lot of people think she must have low blood sugar. 

Yes, though his is slow. I have to fill out paperwork and things for him. He can no longer paint. Used to do lovely landscapes but no more. It frustrates him. He can still eat fine and do most things well enough. His dr said there is some meds that can help if it gets too troublesome. 

Caffeine and lack of sleep make his much worse.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I hope that the tremors don't affect her functioning. 

My ds 16 developed tremors in his hands shortly after having covid. I was wondering if there was a link. We don't have any hereditary cases in the family, the blood tests showed nothing there (diabetes, etc.). He's had an MRI but we haven't heard anything back yet. 

Now I'm really curious what the neurologist will come back with. Ds's tremors don't affect his function at all. He plays classical guitar, volleyball, basketball, carries glasses of liquids on a tray many nights in a row while in a community theatre production. 

Unfortunately, she can no longer carry drinks or pursue her favorite hobbies of knitting and needlework.  Apparently weight effects them.  So if she carries a clipboard in her left hand, the hand with the most severe tremor, then the tremor gets worse in her right hand because of the weight of the clipboard.  Neurologist told her they are benign, but will progress over time.

I'm sorry to hear that your 16 year old has developed them!  How tough to be a teen with this.  

• Sad 2

My grandpa had them years ago and they did not cause major problems for him as far as I know. We were just thankful it wasn't Parkinson's. I think that my mom may be developing them now. She has not had COVID and is fully vaccinated.

I'm so sorry that your mom's are so severe. 😞 Hopefully there are medications that can help.

• Sad 1

Is there any chance she’s had another round of covid undetected? Not saying the doctors wrong I know there’s neurological issues hence my paranoia but two years seems a long way out for it to show up. Although obviously there are viruses with long running consequences years later I guess.

Youngest DS has had what I think is a minor essential tremor since he was a little kid. His is so minor I never thought to mention it to his doctors. Essential tremors are so common, especially as people age, that I don't see how anyone could accurately pinpoint a cause. Most credible sources don't seem to know why some people develop them. I did a quick search and apparently there hasn't been very much research done on Covid 19 or the vaccines and movement disorders, but I did find this

• Like 1

I don't see any way the neurologist could have determined this is from covid, maybe they just said it could be from covid?

Is she on any medications? Dh has essential tremor and some of the psychiatric medications he has tried made it worse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Apparently weight effects them.  So if she carries a clipboard in her left hand, the hand with the most severe tremor, then the tremor gets worse in her right hand because of the weight of the clipboard.  

That’s interesting! I haven’t noticed weight in one hand making the tremor in the other hand more noticeable. Granddaughter’s neuro suggested using a heavier plate and heavier eating utensils as a way to make tremors less noticeable while eating and it’s helped. my sister is trying it because she’s having a lot of trouble eating-she’s been flinging food off her fork.   Not a fun way to eat in front of people.  Eating a sandwich is torture. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is there any chance she’s had another round of covid undetected? Not saying the doctors wrong I know there’s neurological issues hence my paranoia but two years seems a long way out for it to show up. Although obviously there are viruses with long running consequences years later I guess.

This is what I'm suspecting.  It doesn't make sense to me that it would show up randomly 2 years later.  Progressively, yes.  Out of the blue, no.

7 hours ago, maize said:

I don't see any way the neurologist could have determined this is from covid, maybe they just said it could be from covid?

Is she on any medications? Dh has essential tremor and some of the psychiatric medications he has tried made it worse.

My thoughts exactly!  I don't know how they would know and since I wasn't there, I can't speak to the exact wording by the neurologist.  

Yes, she is on a medication that lowers blood pressure.  She will need to ween from it to take the medication that helps the tremors as it also helps lower blood pressure and the combination would lower it too much.

• Like 2