Menu

All Creatures Great and Small

klmama

There’s several things we do not know about Mrs Hall that are slowly unfolding.   What we think we know is that her husband is dead for unknown reasons and she has a grown son, that it seems rarely corresponds with her, again for reasons we do not know yet.

We know that her husband was apparently in the military and she is very worried but understanding that her son would follow in his father’s footsteps. I suspect her husband died serving his country.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scholastica said:

In the first season, she said the reason her son isn’t communicating with her is because she caught him stealing from her employer and turned him in.

She mentioned to Gerald that her husband came back from the war not the same man. I think her husband is alive but they are separated. 

Yes, I think this is all we know so far.  No way to rely on the backstory from the books, since they've so completely changed much of the backstories.  Siegfried going from a happy-go-lucky ladies' man to a shy widower is the really glaring one.  And I'm obviously watching anyway!  Who knows what the real guy Siegfried was based on was like - the book's author also changed a lot of backstories, names, and made composite characters.  The author's (real name: Jim Wight) wife, IRL wasn't even a farmer's daughter.  So I'm looking at this like an alternate-universe version of the story, like the various Spider-Man movies, lol...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yes, I think this is all we know so far.  No way to rely on the backstory from the books, since they've so completely changed much of the backstories.  Siegfried going from a happy-go-lucky ladies' man to a shy widower is the really glaring one.  And I'm obviously watching anyway!  Who knows what the real guy Siegfried was based on was like - the book's author also changed a lot of backstories, names, and made composite characters.  The author's (real name: Jim Wight) wife, IRL wasn't even a farmer's daughter.  So I'm looking at this like an alternate-universe version of the story, like the various Spider-Man movies, lol...

I read the first book and have listened to the others. The reader is phenomenal. I am almost done with the Lord God made them all.  I have often wondered how he got away with writing about everyone.  This makes sense. 

10 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I read the first book and have listened to the others. The reader is phenomenal. I am almost done with the Lord God made them all.  I have often wondered how he got away with writing about everyone.  This makes sense. 

There is a wonderful biography of the author (who is not named James Herriot, that's a pen name) by his son, also named Jim Wight.  While he drew on the people, places, and stories from his life for the book, they are works of fiction.  He was very private and didn't want anyone to know who wrote them, and for many years he pulled it off.  The town he is from is not called Darrowby, and his coworkers were not named Siegfried and Tristan (nor any other Wagnerian opera names).  The whole timeline for when he was in the RAF is also different in real life from the book, and the whole story of how the character Herriot met his wife is completely different from what really happened.  Most of it is drawn from his life and the people he knew, but he took care to try to make sure things weren't so close that people would recognize themselves!

Anyway, I highly recommend the biography for fans of the books (or series).  It didn't 'spoil' anything for me, if anything it deepened my appreciation for them.  The author sounds as lovely as the character in the books.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

There is a wonderful biography of the author (who is not named James Herriot, that's a pen name) by his son, also named Jim Wight.  While he drew on the people, places, and stories from his life for the book, they are works of fiction.  He was very private and didn't want anyone to know who wrote them, and for many years he pulled it off.  The town he is from is not called Darrowby, and his coworkers were not named Siegfried and Tristan (nor any other Wagnerian opera names).  The whole timeline for when he was in the RAF is also different in real life from the book, and the whole story of how the character Herriot met his wife is completely different from what really happened.  Most of it is drawn from his life and the people he knew, but he took care to try to make sure things weren't so close that people would recognize themselves!

Anyway, I highly recommend the biography for fans of the books (or series).  It didn't 'spoil' anything for me, if anything it deepened my appreciation for them.  The author sounds as lovely as the character in the books.

Thank you! I requested it.  What is so fascinating to me is what a great writer he is.  I LOVE the books.  

8 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

There’s several things we do not know about Mrs Hall that are slowly unfolding.   What we think we know is that her husband is dead for unknown reasons and she has a grown son, that it seems rarely corresponds with her, again for reasons we do not know yet.

We know that her husband was apparently in the military and she is very worried but understanding that her son would follow in his father’s footsteps. I suspect her husband died serving his country.

I don’t think he died serving his country. I think he came back with PTSD and things were bad between them. I’m not clear if he is dead or not, given that she said to her friend at one point this season, I’m still a married woman.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I just requested the bio, too. I need something lighter to read right now. 

Off topic but H and I are looking for reccs to replace this. Sunday nights are hard because neither of us are happy with our jobs. All Creatures actually had us looking forward to Sundays. Plus it was such a nice gentle show, pleasant people, no violence etc. Would love to find a new series that we could watch on Sunday nights. We have Prime, Netflix and basic cable so anything available on those would work. Anyone have suggestions? Something with a bit of drama but humor as well. TIA. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whitestavern said:

Off topic but H and I are looking for reccs to replace this. Sunday nights are hard because neither of us are happy with our jobs. All Creatures actually had us looking forward to Sundays. Plus it was such a nice gentle show, pleasant people, no violence etc. Would love to find a new series that we could watch on Sunday nights. We have Prime, Netflix and basic cable so anything available on those would work. Anyone have suggestions? Something with a bit of drama but humor as well. TIA. 

Is Starstruck on your services? It's a sweet, funny boy-meets-girl show so far - I've seen three episodes. Some sex and swearing.

• Like 1

You might think of looking into whatever Masterpiece has coming up next.  It's been on Sunday nights since I was a kid, when we'd all sit down and watch whatever Masterpiece Theater (with Alastair Cooke, back then!) was on every Sunday night.  They've also been double-dipping a bit lately and having often having another good show do a double-feature - they just aired the new Around the World in 80 Days (with David Tennant) - which was also wonderful - either right before or after All Creatures. 

Have you already watched Call The Midwife?  That would tick all your boxes, I think.  Or the two Cranford series.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

You might consider getting the PBS passport. It us. 5.00 a month “donation/subscription” to PBS and it unlocks all their great shows.

We have watched so many series that we have not done the subscription, but it would 

be worth it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

You might think of looking into whatever Masterpiece has coming up next.  It's been on Sunday nights since I was a kid, when we'd all sit down and watch whatever Masterpiece Theater (with Alastair Cooke, back then!) was on every Sunday night.  They've also been double-dipping a bit lately and having often having another good show do a double-feature - they just aired the new Around the World in 80 Days (with David Tennant) - which was also wonderful - either right before or after All Creatures. 

Have you already watched Call The Midwife?  That would tick all your boxes, I think.  Or the two Cranford series.

Thx! Haven’t seen those. Will check them out. 

7 hours ago, KatieInMN said:

You might consider getting the PBS passport. It us. 5.00 a month “donation/subscription” to PBS and it unlocks all their great shows.

We have watched so many series that we have not done the subscription, but it would 

be worth it. 

I think with On Demand I should have access to a lot of the PBS series. Will see what they have to offer. I loved Downton, but H had zero interest. Not sure if I can get him into some of the other period series on PBS. 

9 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I loved Last Tango in Halifax. It’s a bit darker than All Creatures at times, but really well done and multiple seasons. It’s a BBC show now on Netflix.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

They are both wonderful and warm-hearted.  Thought of some more that would fit - Lark Rise to Candleford (excellent!!) - life in small English village at turn of 20th century - and Land Girls (series about women sent to work on farms in Britain during WW2).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 7:19 AM, Matryoshka said:

He was known as Alf Wight. My parents met him once and said he was a lovely man. I'm from near to where they filmed the series/the real town he was from (Thirsk) and my Grandparents lived in the Dales. Watching it really makes me homesick!

On 2/21/2022 at 3:42 PM, Frances said:

I don’t think he died serving his country. I think he came back with PTSD and things were bad between them. I’m not clear if he is dead or not, given that she said to her friend at one point this season, I’m still a married woman.

I think this also. Hopefully we'll find out more in the next season!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, importswim said:

He was known as Alf Wight. My parents met him once and said he was a lovely man. I'm from near to where they filmed the series/the real town he was from (Thirsk) and my Grandparents lived in the Dales. Watching it really makes me homesick!

Yes, that's right!  His full name was Alfred James or James Alfred, but he went by Alf, and his son who wrote the biography was James/Jim.  Been a while since I read that biography!

3 hours ago, Frances said:

I loved Last Tango in Halifax. It’s a bit darker than All Creatures at times, but really well done and multiple seasons. It’s a BBC show now on Netflix.

3 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I liked a bbc show about people living in apartments in a converted Victorian—was called Life. I think I used a vpn to do so though or a weird streaming subscription I paid for…I loved it. 

3 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I think with On Demand I should have access to a lot of the PBS series. Will see what they have to offer. I loved Downton, but H had zero interest. Not sure if I can get him into some of the other period series on PBS. 

PBS doesn’t keep shows available in OnDemand  for more than a week or two past their airdate. You have to be on top of the schedule to catch them. If there is a current show running, by the time it airs episode 4, episode 1 is no longer available. I have been disappointed many times. 

There is a lot of Masterpiece available on Prime. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I liked a bbc show about people living in apartments in a converted Victorian—was called Life. I think I used a vpn to do so though or a weird streaming subscription I paid for…I loved it. 

If you’re in the UK looks like you can watch in bbc.co.uk. Not having any luck finding a way to watch where I am. Looks good though. 

2 hours ago, whitestavern said:

If you’re in the UK looks like you can watch in bbc.co.uk. Not having any luck finding a way to watch where I am. Looks good though. 

So I use a VPN for BBC but they didn’t have the entire show. I went searching like mad and found this. Tubi. I guess it’s a streaming service:

https://reelgood.com/show/life-2020?amp=true